• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spotify coming to PS3 and PS4; Music Unlimited shutting down.

Derpyduck

Banned
A guy called BADF00D on Reddit last April said an Xbox One version was coming too.

Did he also indicate when the ability to play music in the background is coming? Because right now Xbox One has a music service that's better than Spotify, but it's impossible to use unless you snap it, which to me is unacceptable.

Thanks info, any yearly subs? id much rather pay a lump some price to not have to worry about paying every month.

Yes, it's yearly. I get it for 50 a year with a student discount.

i hate these things because I just want to know when

i dont always use custom soundtracks when I play but this will be great for when I dont want to use my ipad to stream to the receiver, especially if I already have the ps4 running or whatever

Did he also indicate when the ability to play music in the background is coming? Because right now Xbox One has a music service that's better than Spotify, but it's impossible to use unless you snap it, which to me is unacceptable..

He said that it would be a universal App, so that would suggest when Windows 10 arrives on Xbox One.

Wow, this is pretty unexpected, I had music unlimited thought it was a great service, can't beat driveclub with some prodigy blasting in the background. Guess I'll he changing to spotify now

Ape

Banned
Music Unlimited was super shit and quite heavy on the OS. It never worked as intended and once you start running it, good luck getting back to change songs.

I'm glad they're killing it. Smart smart move.

Yikes. Maybe it was better to partner with Spotify than to put the money into completely re-doing the Music Unlimited App. Just brand recognition alone imo is worth it. I switched from Xbox Music to Spotify and honestly everything is about the same. Good to know that at least one of my consoles will have background streaming!

Withnail

I was probably one of the few people who thought MU was fine tbh. It has an extensive catalogue and gets new releases on release day. What more does a streaming service need to do? Still, Spotify is clearly the market leader so this is probably a good thing.

Curious what it will mean for my Sony AV receiver though since it has an integrated MU service. Hopefully it gets an update.

A guy called BADF00D on Reddit last April said an Xbox One version was coming too.

Who?

Carn82

Not sure about it being fishy. Having something called Playstation Music may be something of an umbrella for other Music services to come along

I recall reading that they really want to push the Playstation brandname (Playstation Now, etc) since it's the most profitable businessunit

tusken77

Excellent news!

Bill-and-Ted-air-riff-gif.gif

AaronMT86

Interesting. I wonder if this will work well with headsets in that you can have chat audio in parties (re: Destiny raids) take priority and have Spotify music going at the same time. How will this work in games (again like Destiny) where you can’t mute game music?

SSReborn

This is fantastic !!
Great news !

I hope they will remove music unlimited from my bravia smart tv and my Xperia Z3 Compact.

The one thing about Music Unlimited in relation to the media app Walkman on Xperia's is that your music list from that integrated with the Walkman music list. I hope that they somehow get Spotify do the same thing because some music in paticular that.

Great move by Sony. I am extremely excited for this. I skimmed through the announcement but have they revealed when the release date is for the app?

truth411

I'm probably one of the few subscribers to music unlimited, decent service but I know nothing about spotify. So if I'm understanding this correctly since I'm already a member of Music Unlimited, my account gets transferred automatically or do I have to create a Spotify account myself and Cancel Music Unlimited?

Dynomutt

I believe it's $120 for a yearly sub if u buy an e-card for spotify, but i'm not that experienced with it, so I stick with the monthly sub.

Whaaaaaattt??? Your getting robbed man! You can get yearly subs on eBay for $20 sometimes $10 bucks!

Top Bottom