• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

Zalusithix

Looking forward to the "This is still a scam, please buy my LTI account" post.

Well, he never said it was a scam per se. Just worried about CIG's ability to get the game out. In that case it could make sense from the perspective of wanting to only have the bare minimum investment into the game to get the most out of it if it comes out, and simultaneously have the least to lose if CIG goes down the flusher.

The desire for LTI makes no sense from that perspective though. LTI on base packages is next to useless (LTI Aurora wooo!), and LTI wont transfer to different hulls once in game. The only way to make LTI really worthwhile is to transfer it to a more expensive ship while SC is still in the alpha phase. Dumping more money into the game while in alpha runs contradictory to the goal of keeping a minimum investment for risk purposes.

Pomerlaw

Desert Nomad (human!)
vlcsnap-2016-10-15-028tzzn.png

vlcsnap-2016-10-15-02baz37.png

Kastak Ballisitic Shotgun
t3_57jnf9

It's cool we can see the station in the sky, impressive.

Is there any update to look forward about the flight model in future updates? I'm having a hard time having fun actually flying the ship in this game, they feel strange and light weight.

Zalusithix

Is there any update to look forward about the flight model in future updates? I'm having a hard time having fun actually flying the ship in this game, they feel strange and light weight.

Most of the ships flyable right now are small and light weight, especially if you're comparing to Elite.

Agremont

I don't think it's likely to change. The rediculous thruster strength is basically how they want it to be it seems.

It looks and feels silly in my opinion but hey.

I don't get it... Super Hornet is on free fly.. but you can't buy it? What up with that? I want to upgrade my old LTI 325a.

I did boot up the Alpha for the first time in a long while, and just did the Swarm thing with mouse controls. Boy this game does seem more like a mouse game than HOTAS. Compared to last time I tried with my X52 it was a breeze to point and click my way to a gimbal victory. I have no idea what my final controls are going to be in this game. I want TrackIR, but I don't want that to aim weapons, I want to fly with a joystick but I don't think it is prudent to give up mouse aim. I don't think I could trust my left hand with a joystick but... something's gotta give here.

EDarkness

I downloaded this to play the other day, but I don't know what I should do. My hangar is empty and I'm not sure how to get to the actual game. Anyone have any ideas?

Zalusithix

I downloaded this to play the other day, but I don't know what I should do. My hangar is empty and I'm not sure how to get to the actual game. Anyone have any ideas?

The main menu has options other than the hangar (in which you'd have to manually spawn the ship in to see it by finding a dot on the floor and clicking). Depending on what you want to do, it's one of those options. There's the baby persistent universe (Universe), and then there's Arena Commander under the Electronic Access option which allows free flight, racing, bots, and multiplayer in non-persistent match form.

EDarkness

The main menu has options other than the hangar (in which you'd have to manually spawn the ship in to see it by finding a dot on the floor and clicking). Depending on what you want to do, it's one of those options. There's the baby persistent universe (Universe), and then there's Arena Commander under the Electronic Access option which allows free flight, racing, bots, and multiplayer in non-persistent match form.

I guess I don't understand the difference. If I just want to get to the main game, which option do I choose? I saw them there, but I had no idea what they where or where I needed to go.

Zalusithix

I guess I don't understand the difference. If I just want to get to the main game, which option do I choose? I saw them there, but I had no idea what they where or where I needed to go.

If by "main game" you mean the beginnings of what will become the persistent MMO aspect with open space, missions and whatnot, then Universe.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

There isn't really a main game yet, just pieces and parts you can check out. The game is still in alpha.

As he said, you can:

> Go to your hangar, where you can spawn whatever ships you've pledged for on the website, then look at the ships, walk around inside the ships, etc. You also can go up an elevator to enter a city, where you just run around the environment, chat in the little chat window with other players and maybe drive a little golf cart around.
> Play the different modes in Arena Commander, the in-fiction video game where you play sort of a horde mode against waves of enemies while flying one of your ships, or you play multiplayer against other people in small areas of space, or you race around a track set in the skies over a city.
> Go to the universe, which eventually will be what you might call "the main game" but is like less than 1 percent complete. It's part of a star system. You start on a little space station, where you can go to a computer to request one of the ships you own. Then you go to the launch pad, hop in your ship, fly off to various points of interest around the system, maybe get into a random fight with pirates, maybe complete a mission offered to you over the radio, maybe get out of your ship to jetpack over to another space station ... whatever you want. It's open ended.

EDarkness

There isn't really a main game yet, just pieces and parts you can check out. The game is still in alpha.

As he said, you can:

> Go to your hangar, where you can spawn whatever ships you've pledged for on the website, then look at the ships, walk around inside the ships, etc. You also can go up an elevator to enter a city, where you just run around the environment, chat in the little chat window with other players and maybe drive a little golf cart around.
> Play the different modes in Arena Commander, the in-fiction video game where you play sort of a horde mode against waves of enemies while flying one of your ships, or you play multiplayer against other people in small areas of space, or you race around a track set in the skies over a city.
> Go to the universe, which eventually will be what you might call "the main game" but is like less than 1 percent complete. It's part of a star system. You start on a little space station, where you can go to a computer to request one of the ships you own. Then you go to the launch pad, hop in your ship, fly off to various points of interest around the system, maybe get into a random fight with pirates, maybe complete a mission offered to you over the radio, maybe get out of your ship to jetpack over to another space station ... whatever you want. It's open ended.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm only in for the free play until the 30th, so is there no ship to check out in the hanger for us?

Zalusithix

Thanks for the explanation. I'm only in for the free play until the 30th, so is there no ship to check out in the hanger for us?

Theoretically the Super Hornet should be spawnable. Once again, you'd have to walk around the hangar and find one of the blue dots on the floor and click on it which will bring up the menu to place a ship there. Different dots represent different size classes though, so you'd want the one for small ships. Class 1 or whatever they're calling it. The system is improved from the old web based setup, but it's still very much a work in progress.

EDarkness

Theoretically the Super Hornet should be spawnable. Once again, you'd have to walk around the hangar and find one of the blue dots on the floor and click on it which will bring up the menu to place a ship there. Different dots represent different size classes though, so you'd want the one for small ships. Class 1 or whatever they're calling it. The system is improved from the old web based setup, but it's still very much a work in progress.

Okay. Thanks again. I walked around the hanger, but didn't see anything, but I wasn't looking for a blue dot. I'll try again now to see if it will allow something to spawn.

Zalusithix

Okay. Thanks again. I walked around the hanger, but didn't see anything, but I wasn't looking for a blue dot. I'll try again now to see if it will allow something to spawn.

In case you're still having issues, I did a quick recording of the process and how the different points are for spawning different sized ships. Once a ship is spawned you can interact with it, but it wont actually power up, so no HUDs and such. Need to be in the PU or Arena Commander for that.

Zabojnik

Based on what what Sean Tracy said (or rather didn't say) in the latest subscriber's town hall, do you guys think it's safe to assume that horizontal displacement, which people seem to consider the holy grail of procedural terrain generation, isn't something they're actively working on right now? I reckon you could come up with some pretty alien looking landscapes, however unrealistic, if you took displacement to the extreme ...
Of course, I have no idea what I'm talking about here. Not really.

KrWR38.gif

Based on what what Sean Tracy said (or rather didn't say) in the latest subscriber's town hall, do you guys think it's safe to assume that horizontal displacement, which people seem to consider the holy grail of procedural terrain generation, isn't something they're actively working on right now? I reckon you could come up with some pretty alien looking landscapes, however unrealistic, if you took displacement to the extreme ...

KrWR38.gif

That gif though lmao.

I'm sure if someone brought it up (no one has) they would answer that.

EDarkness

In case you're still having issues, I did a quick recording of the process and how the different points are for spawning different sized ships. Once a ship is spawned you can interact with it, but it wont actually power up, so no HUDs and such. Need to be in the PU or Arena Commander for that.

Cool. I got into the game and walked around the space station. I had no idea what I was doing and couldn't get anyone in chat to respond to my questions, so I gave up and here I am. Plus, that motion blur while turning was making me sick. I wonder if there is a way to turn that off...? I couldn't find the place to get into a ship and spent about 25-30 minutes wandering around looking for the hangar. Maybe I missed something. I'll try it again later.

I got the ship to spawn in the hanger and it was cool looking at all of the little pieces. I got inside the cockpit, but then couldn't get out. Couldn't find a button to press to exit the cockpit. I'll have to mess around with that again later, too.

Bionic

Cool. I got into the game and walked around the space station. I had no idea what I was doing and couldn't get anyone in chat to respond to my questions, so I gave up and here I am. Plus, that motion blur while turning was making me sick. I wonder if there is a way to turn that off...? I couldn't find the place to get into a ship and spent about 25-30 minutes wandering around looking for the hangar. Maybe I missed something. I'll try it again later.

I got the ship to spawn in the hanger and it was cool looking at all of the little pieces. I got inside the cockpit, but then couldn't get out. Couldn't find a button to press to exit the cockpit. I'll have to mess around with that again later, too.
Open up the console with tilde (~) and type in r_motionblur 0. I also recommend r_vsync 0. You exit the cockpit by holding the key that enters the cockpit, usually F.

If you want to spawn a ship in Crusader, go downstairs from where you wake up, into the main room that has a bunch of panels, hit F on one to summon your ship, and then go to the waypoint it made on your hud.

SmartBase

KrWR38.gif

I want to ask CIG about it but I have no idea how.

Burny

Oh, I have no idea about the maths behind it, but it's pretty clear, even without mathematical background, why horizontal displacement is "the holy grail", at least for vertical geometry.

The Outerra presentation (never get tired of quoting that :p ) shows extremely well how their use of horizontal displacement makes the difference between a heightmap mountain (prepatch textures, but still) and this.

As there has been no mention of horizontal displacement by Star Citizen - and they never get tired of shouting about all the cool tech they have or making a big deal out of tech others may have as well - I suspect that they, at least initially, may also not use horizontal displacement. The rocks on the Citizencon demo looked definitely more like meshes.

Zabojnik

I want to ask CIG about it but a) I have no idea how to, and b) I'm not sure I'm technically versed enough to appreciate any in-depth response.

This is precisely why the gods blessed us with the likes of Dictator93. To bring fire to the people.

Oh, I have no idea about the maths behind it, but it's pretty clear, even without mathematical background, why horizontal displacement is "the holy grail", at least for vertical geometry.

The Outerra presentation (never get tired of quoting that :p ) shows extremely well how their use of horizontal displacement makes the difference between a heightmap mountain (prepatch textures, but still) and this.

As there has been no mention of horizontal displacement by Star Citizen - and they never get tired of shouting about all the cool tech they have or making a big deal out of tech others may have as well - I suspect that they, at least initially, may also not use horizontal displacement. The rocks on the Citizencon demo looked definitely more like meshes.

That Outerra presentation has some really cool stuff. I'm no developer, but it doesn't feel like horizontal displacement would be such a crazy problem to solve? There is obviously a ton of stuff to consider with procedural generation tho, so it may simply be something that gets implemented futher down the line. Hopefully someone will bring it up with CIG.

Burny

That Outerra presentation has some really cool stuff. I'm no developer, but it doesn't feel like horizontal displacement would be such a crazy problem to solve? There is obviously a ton of stuff to consider with procedural generation tho, so it may simply be something that gets implemented futher down the line. Hopefully someone will bring it up with CIG.

I've tried to tickle out a response of the Elite folks on the official forums if there's going to be horizontal displacement eventually. They either didn't see the questions or ignored it.

But there was one post from one of their tech devs, which leads me to believe, that it may be "least common denominator" issue. Being a networked game, everybody has to play with the same geometry, otherwise players will see others floating about or going right through the ground, because the others geometry may be more or less complex (War Thunder's lowst graphic settings have (had?) that issue). With geometry being completely procedurally generated in Elite, not only having a heightmap but having horizontal displacement on top of that would probably multiply the computation effort required for generating the terrain. I therefore suspect that this may be part of the issue: the lowest system requirements might be raised quiet a bit, if they added this to their procgen algorithms.

Not that Star Citizen gives a flying fuck for lowest system requirements. But they have a whole lot of other issues to deal with, more in the realm of producing a game at all, despite having Roberts as head buffoon. Their procgen approach for planets also heavily relies on premade meshes being distributed and stitched together, if the footage is anything to go by, so they may not require to have such elaborate algorithms for generating the terrain in the first place.

Zabojnik

Interesting, I haven't thought of the computational cost.

Of course, by the time SC is due for any sort of commercial release, we'll all be rocking 5ghz+ 8-core processors anyway, so the issue might be moot. #Burny'd

As there has been no mention of horizontal displacement by Star Citizen - and they never get tired of shouting about all the cool tech they have or making a big deal out of tech others may have as well - I suspect that they, at least initially, may also not use horizontal displacement.
I think it is pretty normal to be proud of your work, in fact, it is a good thing.
The rocks on the Citizencon demo looked definitely more like meshes.
The smaller rocks are all meshes that embed at random rotations and angles into the terrain and then use clolour blending ala Battlefront to intermesh that into the terrain (slide 107-108).
Their procgen approach for planets also heavily relies on premade meshes being distributed and stitched together, if the footage is anything to go by, so they may not require to have such elaborate algorithms for generating the terrain in the first place.

As far as I saw in the video, I am not sure if those are traditional premade meshes that are instanced and then stitched together. The mountains looked very much so non-uniform and not-tiled.

Burny

I mean, really?

Yes. Really.

The guy appears to have little idea what he's talking about half of the time (procedural landings. Iirc, the term was coined by him. Really?) and seems to think that deadlines are beneath him. So yes, really, really.

I think it is pretty normal to be proud of your work, in fact, it is a good thing.

I may be completely off here, but from my experience, the people who really deserve credits for something spend more time doing things than patting their own backs or shouting from the rooftops about all the things they've done or are about to do.

I mean, really?
What do you expect from a hater that LOVES to come to this thread to talk ish?

Procedural landing zones is what he/CR meant. The deadline stuff is always a up in the air matter and it has to do with compassion and wanting to get this stuff out to us but reality is bitter sweet.

Talk about nit picky shit.

I may be completely off here, but from my experience, the people who really deserve credits for something spend more time doing things than patting their own backs or shouting from the rooftops about all the things they've done or are about to do.

Are you suggesting that the engineers and CIG in general spend more time talking about the technical underpinnings of the game than developing them?

If so... that is a rather high claim and affront to the people working on the project. That would mean the 25-30 mins of AtV every week are more than the work hours spent on the actual project by hundreds of people. That is a rather absurd prospect.

Are you suggesting that the engineers and CIG in general spend more time talking about the technical underpinnings of the game than developing them?

If so... that is a rather high claim and affront to the people working on the project. That would mean the 25-30 mins of AtV every week are more than the work hours spent on the actual project by hundreds of people. That is a rather absurd prospect.

Why even talk logic to this guy? he's literally insulting developers because they are talking about their work and want to show it off. He gets triggered because of that fact.

SnowTeeth

Banned
Yes. Really.

The guy appears to have little idea what he's talking about half of the time (procedural landings. Iirc, the term was coined by him. Really?) and seems to think that deadlines are beneath him. So yes, really, really.

You do seem to have a massive hate boner for him though Burny. Unjustifiably so. I mean, the guy has been successful in almost all of his endeavors, and Star Citizen will likely come to fruition whether you like it or not...

I know it seems I've gone all defense force for him, but I can't help but laugh every time I see you call him a buffoon - which is often, to say the least. If Star Citizen succeeds, you will be one of the biggest buffoons of them all.

Dude is getting all obtuse about developers talking about the current and future content they are working on. He must get pissed at GDC panels and SIGGRAPH conventions or other dev blogs/updates with all their talk.

Ridiculous.

Top Bottom