• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

Outrun

And that is very telling of alot of posters that post here.

Constructive criticism
as defined

Now how many negative comments show up in this thread, with only the sole purpose to be negative, sow fear, or just be rather disingenuous? Which cross posts from members and links to Something awful and Smart supporters, it is kinda telling when certain posters appear only to post something negative or illogical and then repeatedly beat the drum in that tone.

Perception is a major thing, and most games of this scale a publisher would have not announced anything until "years" into development. Because this project was kickstarted and grown in scope we have people with offset expectations and despite being given information of crew size, technical information about what they are doing and relative difficulty. That tends to just make it easier for mud throwing it seems. And the persistent presence has grown in this thread.

Dude, spare me the persecution complex.

- The SC and SQ42 development is troubled.
- Many valid criticisms expressed here cannot be dismissed by "you don't know game development."
-Not everyone that is tired with CR and CIG are in league with Derek Smart.

Let people speak respectfully. Or go and enjoy the company at the CIG forums.

The business model after launch is a real blindspot for backers - you'll have them tell you that every part of the project is completely different now, so every date estimate and thing that was said back in the day is out of the window - but the old business model never changes.

Like Ratticus up there acknowledges the time/money equation is in flux because it's an old comment, but insists they won't sell ships after launch even though that's based on an equally old comment.

The truth is we don't know, and likely CIG don't know, because they don't have a full estimate of what their per player costs are, and won't until after they have StarNetwork and test their Mesh Server experiment after January, if either of those take off it's going to be completely different hosting costs, and you can't expect that the way of funding the final game will be identical to what was outlined years ago when the netcode was planned to be completely different.

To be fair they have that one worked out already. After launch you cannot buy ships with real cash but you can buy what will apparently be a limited amount of in game cash per day with actual money. Large orgs will probably use it en masse to get the advantage. If they wanted to prevent it they could limit the amount per org daily too, or even tie the money specifically to the players account for a set time and not let them pool it into an org fund.

Depending on how things go, this could actually prove way more profitable by having players repeatedly putting in money to hold their position if they're looking to actually control an area or are at war with another org.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
The business model after launch is a real blindspot for backers - you'll have them tell you that every part of the project is completely different now, so every date estimate and thing that was said back in the day is out of the window - but the old business model never changes.

Like Ratticus up there acknowledges the time/money equation is in flux because it's an old comment, but insists they won't sell ships after launch even though that's based on an equally old comment.

The truth is we don't know, and likely CIG don't know, because they don't have a full estimate of what their per player costs are, and won't until after they have StarNetwork and test their Mesh Server experiment after January, if either of those take off it's going to be completely different hosting costs, and you can't expect that the way of funding the final game will be identical to what was outlined years ago when the netcode was planned to be completely different.

I'd say that the relative tuning of the time cost of things in game isn't quite on the same level as fundamental changes in the funding model. Have there been any signs of them wavering on that plan? They've been pretty consistent about it from what I've seen.

If they had given some numbers on the monthly purchase limits, I'd expect those to change, but not the basic structure.

I wouldn't say it's a blind spot, it just doesn't come up much since the basic approach is already established as a standard F2P tactic - create annoyance (via insurance and maintenance) and provide a way out with money - buying the monthly credits (de facto monthly subscription). If they need to create more pressure, they just tweak the insurance premiums, fuel costs, wear rates, etc.

Personally I think they might run into problems with that strategy long-term as players get established, are able to run operations with comfortable profit margins and don't need the credits. It'll rely on some infusion from new players coming in and trying to catch up. I'd prefer a standard subscription.

Anyway, can't really argue against "it's in the future, so you can't say for sure".

KKRT00

It all also depends, about the insurance importance and how it will reimburse ship losses and how expensive will be fit for ships.
Basically how much EVE economy will be in SC, because if it will be similar than ship wont be that expensive to buy, but because you can lose them easily, you will need constant influx of credit to sustain your 'ship needs' :)
CCP hired doctor of economy and CIG has Tony Zurovec who quite a brilliant guy, so we'll see.

I've noticed there's been a clear trend of discussion moving from here to the Discord channel lately. There are at least ten times as many chat posts as forum posts in the same period of time. People are speaking with their feet. It's not a healthy thing for the forum.

Also as an aside, I think it's a bit much to attack Burny for speaking up for iHaunter after KKRT00 attacked them. iHaunter certainly isn't a hater, you can see that from my exchange where they got incredibly defensive over pretty mild criticism, and it's weird for KKRT00 to tell them to refund just because they note the current gameplay is poor.

That you're justifying running off to Discord because you're not allowed to make NeoGAF a safe space is a bit weird in the same post justifying attacking backers for being insufficiently enthusiastic.

Anyway, can't really argue against "it's in the future, so you can't say for sure".

I am not arguing what is going to happen in the future. I am saying that if they want to be transparent about the development, they should state design goals and the intended play hours to build ships. Now, we are in the situation where we don't have the info (which should be in design documents and goals), so SC fans can just deflect any concerns about P2W, progression, microtransactions. People must know whether they are getting a full game or some peasant version compared to people who pledge $400+.

Or perhaps they are just headless when it comes to PU modules, so nobody even knows if there are design docs about players' progression so they just keep making ships.

And yes, there will be a direct link between $ and in-game ship costs. If they intend to sell credits for $, then we can link $ directly to the cost of crafting ships.

Raticus79

Also as an aside, I think it's a bit much to attack Burny for speaking up for iHaunter after KKRT00 attacked them. iHaunter certainly isn't a hater, you can see that from my exchange where they got incredibly defensive over pretty mild criticism, and it's weird for KKRT00 to tell them to refund just because they note the current gameplay is poor.

That you're justifying running off to Discord because you're not allowed to make NeoGAF a safe space is a bit weird in the same post justifying attacking backers for being insufficiently enthusiastic.

Not sure where you get the idea that I'm in favour of that movement - I'm just commenting that it's something I've observed happening. It's just as much an argument for not having a discord channel because people have a natural tendency to disengage. As I said, it's bad news for the forum.

For Burny, I was mainly challenging the assertion that the posts have been constructive criticism. Hadn't really paid attention to the context of iHaunter vs KKRT00.

I'd say I've been pretty even-handed about it all. The OP isn't exactly full of glowing fanboyism, and I bumped heads with Cabbagehead a while back about being too tolerant.

KKRT00

First of all, i have not attacked anybody and second of all, i was quoting Outrun, not iHunter.

Raticus79

It's been interesting seeing how things are playing out with the flight model changes. There must have been quite a competitive edge in PVP for players who were able to fly evasively in open space (making themselves hard to hit). Some are fighting against the slower speeds and closer combat distances tooth and nail, while others are very happy with it. Sounds like it's leveled the playing field quite a bit, which of course is bad for the people currently at the top.

Using World of Warcraft as an example, this would be good for the popularity of the game, even if it disappoints those elite players.

Lots of comments that the new flight parameters give things a greater sense of weight. How are people finding the patch so far?

People don't like taking a long and critical look at the promised business model, so don't overthink it. It is not finalized, it is not viable. It needs more than a standard MMO in the post-launch support, yet they promised a boxed-copy approach where players aren't shafted by the fact that others are going to have massive ships from Day 1. Also a lot of people have already purchased or pledged for this game, so there is that.

Arguments go all over the place:
• Paid ships are mainly for supporting the game, so plebs are going to be able to build them too.
• You really don't need large ships, because these ships are for multi-crew operations so you should just join other organizations.
• You will be able to top-up your in-game currency with cash injections.
• Insurance...

Game progression design starts with intended goals: For average player to spend X amount of time doing simple quests/missions to earn Y amount of credits to build a Z ship. Until I see CIG telling the intended amount of time for different ships, none of progression model talks can continue.

I am not asking for the capital ship in a week, I am asking to give me an idea what kind of manhours are we talking about for ships so I can judge whether it is a fair or not model.

The issue here is still that you are asking a question about things not finalized yet but also talk about ships as progression or fairness. Here

Game progression design starts with intended goals: For average player to spend X amount of time doing simple quests/missions to earn Y amount of credits to build a Z ship.

You really don't need large ships, because these ships are for multi-crew operations so you should just join other organizations.

it is not just that, to operate ship properly you need more people or AI. This is not a throw away sentiment. Because of this, if you are a solo player, a larger ship is a choice not a path of progression exactly.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14354-Letter-From-The-Chairman

That’s exactly what the team at Foundry 42 has been charged with replicating in Star Citizen! For Squadron 42, Chris Roberts asked us to develop a system that naturally encourages cooperative play and promotes teamwork rather than forcing anything specific on the player. Like every aspect of Star Citizen, it needs to be immersive, it needs to be engaging … and it needs to function beyond our particular piece of the puzzle. The multi-crew systems we premiere in Squadron 42 will go on to appear throughout the Star Citizen world!

Thats it. Play with friends or to experience what it is like to be a part of a whole. Not that larger ship is some sort of win.

With that idea out of the way, the question about how long it would take is undetermined because systems not implemented and concept of fairness is one that is not logical because the ships represent different gameplay types not progression.

There is no ship crafting and worries about P2W again falls flat because this is all RPS type of design and having a "ship" doesn't equate to some sort of win. Questions you are asking have been addressed years ago because that is one of the first questions asked about game are purchasing ships P2W. The answer then and now is no. These ships will not be sold after release and all this equates to is a varied options when title is released.

You only see the negative of those post, but even in your examples there is constructive things to be said from it.
Like :

In itself, yeah it's can be used as a tool to say that they need would need like 400 year to get SC ready and will never be done.
On the other hand it can also simply be used as an argument that it's a topic that should be more discussed by the studio/CR, with us." This is where we're at, we expect that to grow at x pace from that point since the pipeline is ready, the initial release might only have x star system and keep growing to that number." etc.

The problem is both 'side' will more often than not only see it as black or white, and those reaction only move people more and more to the extreme.

Many complaints can be seen only as negativity, but there is often more to it, and things they could learn from it.
People complaining about no SQ42 in the last stream, can be seens as people having unreasonable expectation, and sure enough 'game dev is hard' is a decent answer to the delay.
But it doesn't mean there wasn't more to it, like the fact that clearly SQ42 delay was a decision made long before the stream ( people can agree or disagree with their reasons but that's another topic ), yet they only shared that info with us at the very last minute. SC is very much open development ( and that improved with 2.6 roadmap, because people complained ), yet mistake like this one still happen quite often, even when the solution is only a matter of communication.

Problem with that chart is that it is misleading and it really does ignore the metric ton of information they have already dumped on us. It doesn't start a new conversation because information about it has already been released and is easily accessible. Problem is, is that they have "too" much information to sift through there for misleading stuff like that chart only works for people not following the game which outnumber those that follow the game by a large number. I can agree to communication but like I posted above, that seemed like a holdover from before, they don't announce every choice they make all the time. There was simply radio silence on that end because they were talking about things they were working on not the vertical slice they stopped.

And again with "Game dev is hard" seems like this is a meme that is used to deter discussion because it lacks context when CiG has provided alot of specifics about what they are trying and specific blockers.

Dude, spare me the persecution complex.

- The SC and SQ42 development is troubled.
- Many valid criticisms expressed here cannot be dismissed by "you don't know game development."
-Not everyone that is tired with CR and CIG are in league with Derek Smart.

Let people speak respectfully. Or go and enjoy the company at the CIG forums.

You seem to be on the attack here especially after this gem

You talk like there is no problem with the development of SC/SQ42.

That is equally as problematic as those calling the game a scam.

When quoting a post I made specifically talking about money made not development process. The terms "You don't know development process" Was not used and doesn't need to be used for a concept of "expectation" . That type of thing comes from looking at the history of projects already released and just gathering information. You can say whatever you want, I am just pointing out point of view from skewed posters and there are posters here, who are not even a question, only here to troll. The same usernames and all on SA with stated goal of messing with neogaf members. So you can try to paint this as me playing a false chord here but honestly you cannot hide post history. So I don't even need to do that. Games having delays or missed markers is common during development, again you don't have to be a game developer to know this, just read any story about major projects done in the last 10 years. But the difference is that everything is pored over because they release alot of information and have difficulty tempering the balance between keeping things under wraps, informing base of things to come, and not setting expectations for something that is not firm. But here, dude, you don't like my posts? Feel free to ignore me because the attitude you have shown me means that you have a bone to pick and I am not interested in that nonsense.

elyetis

Problem with that chart is that it is misleading and it really does ignore the metric ton of information they have already dumped on us. It doesn't start a new conversation because information about it has already been released and is easily accessible. Problem is, is that they have "too" much information to sift through there for misleading stuff like that chart only works for people not following the game which outnumber those that follow the game by a large number.
I honestly didn't know about that chart before, so I couldn't say, but for example do we really have much more info about where they are when it comes to work on the other Star systems, or even landing spot ( probably not the right name for it but I can't remember how they call it ) ?
I can agree to communication but like I posted above, that seemed like a holdover from before, they don't announce every choice they make all the time. There was simply radio silence on that end because they were talking about things they were working on not the vertical slice they stopped.
I really think that's underestimating how much of a communication mistake that was. Missing SQ42 presentation at Citizencon was big, and wasn't announced before hand. But following that with missing the holiday stream, but more than that, announcing it only the day of the stream is simply... stupid, I really have no other word for it.

Like half of the Stream Star Citizen Newsletter is about that Squadron 42 Vertical Slice, and that's clearly for a reason. Because the expectation to see it ( set by CR, even if it was a maybe, not a promise ) was huge and they know it. It's not about sharing everything with us, it's about setting expectation up, then not keeping people informed when you see you can't deliver.
The content of that newsletter is perfectly okay ( again people can agree or disagree that working only for the sake of that vertical slice was or wasn't worth it, that's another debate ), the problem is that it should have been released when the decision was taken ( so most likely soon after citizencon ) not the day of the stream.
I'm sure most people would be more forgiving if it was the first time it happened, but that kind of communication mistake began at least since the very first supposed release of arena commander, and it just keep happening since then. And without people complaining about it, again, and again, I can only see it happen.. again.

I honestly didn't know about that chart before, so I couldn't say, but for example do we really have much more info about where they are when it comes to work on the other Star systems, or even landing spot ( probably not the right name for it but I can't remember how they call it ) ?

Only ArcCorp and Nyx are done so far, they have Terra Prime and a couple of others in various states of work-in-progress.

NuMiQ

Neo Member
Anybody playing Star Marine today? Would be cool to get a couple of games in with fellow Gaffers. I'll generally be playing Last Stand on both maps because I'm still testing balance.

I've been getting a crazy amount of feedback so far, can't wait to get back to the office on Monday and fix some shit :D

We have a GAF Discord channel (linked in the OP, quote to see) which is pretty active and I think you'll find some good cannon fodder there. There's usually a couple people playing at all hours.

Really enjoying the 2.6 PTU by the way. Gonna check out the newest patch now, but so far Star Marine has been great, the game looks better than it ever has on my pc and seems to be running quite smoothly. That probably has a lot to do with the smaller instance size of AC and SM.

elyetis

Only ArcCorp and Nyx are done so far, they have Terra Prime and a couple of others in various states of work-in-progress.
Oh right Nyx was impressive in the planetary presentation, do we know how they intend to make ArcCorp work now that are going full-blown procedural planetary landing ?

Raticus79

IGN posted an article for the 2.6 launch coming up: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/12/...r-marine-gets-new-trailer-details-a-ign-first

They're approaching free flight a bit differently this time. People can register in advance for a 48 hour free flight period after 2.6 launch.
Code: WELCOME2SC
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/promotions/welcome-to-sc
The ship is a Sabre this time.

Since that 48 hour window is shorter than usual, and it says to wait to find out when your window starts, they're probably staggering them to avoid clobbering the servers.

The issue as described by CR himself is that things need to be in place before you can implement them. As in you cannot put cart before horse. That is why 3.0 was targeted as jumping point for completed system and they were going to sneak Nyx in as well into the Stanton system.

I really think that's underestimating how much of a communication mistake that was. Missing SQ42 presentation at Citizencon was big, and wasn't announced before hand. But following that with missing the holiday stream, but more than that, announcing it only the day of the stream is simply... stupid, I really have no other word for it.

Like half of the Stream Star Citizen Newsletter is about that Squadron 42 Vertical Slice, and that's clearly for a reason. Because the expectation to see it ( set by CR, even if it was a maybe, not a promise ) was huge and they know it. It's not about sharing everything with us, it's about setting expectation up, then not keeping people informed when you see you can't deliver.
The content of that newsletter is perfectly okay ( again people can agree or disagree that working only for the sake of that vertical slice was or wasn't worth it, that's another debate ), the problem is that it should have been released when the decision was taken ( so most likely soon after citizencon ) not the day of the stream.
I'm sure most people would be more forgiving if it was the first time it happened, but that kind of communication mistake began at least since the very first supposed release of arena commander, and it just keep happening since then. And without people complaining about it, again, and again, I can only see it happen.. again.

I cannot speak for CiG or internal choices made on communication so it is pure speculation on my part. I just imagine, the default is to fall on silence if they don't have anything to offer in one specific regard and not to let it take away from all the other information they do provide. When quoting his letter when releasing production schedule..

Because of this we have been reticent to share our internal timelines, even with caveats, as it always seems to cause trouble; one section of the community gets annoyed because things are perceived as late while another gets annoyed wondering why we shared dates at all if they aren’t solid. Of course even when we don’t give dates we have yet another part of the community getting annoyed because they feel left in the dark and have no idea when the next build will drop.

So again, that is the problem and you are asking them to chose between the three options as a norm. I am sure they have done all three over the years and chose the one that gives the least headache. It seems as if they are going to catch hell no matter what they choose, again many examples here in thread, so they chose the best for them. Take for instance, they tried to get Star Marine out and was berated when not released. The managed to release 2.0 alpha, without prior promise which is arguably a stronger representation of final product than stand alone module and still received hell from some sections. So again, you are asking them to make a choice and believing that one set of people and their reactions are more important than others. I am.... thankful I am not in that position and I honestly don't know what is right for the community as a whole. I would prefer being informed but I am also not the type to flip tables and go nuts if they miss a projection.

The issue as described by CR himself is that things need to be in place before you can implement them. As in you cannot put cart before horse. That is why 3.0 was targeted as jumping point for completed system and they were going to sneak Nyx in as well into the Stanton system.

But that's not true, is it? Chris has never said anything like that about the landing zones, and they already have all the tech they need for the landing zones, as shown by the fact the existing two were developed between 2013 and 2015. Yeah, they've got procedural planets, but that doesn't mean anything for the built up cities which weren't going to be fully explorable anyway.

Art assets take time, the ones they've done so far take eighteen months each so they should really be working on the hundred zones if they want to finish within another 105 years.

But they're not because the PU is progressing at a snails pace because everyone is on SQ42. And SQ42 doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast either because they keep redoing stuff (they've thrown out that Vanduul fleet from the leak, so that's a second outsourced studio whose work and money is thrown in the bin).

elyetis

So again, you are asking them to make a choice and believing that one set of people and their reactions are more important than others. I am.... thankful I am not in that position and I honestly don't know what is right for the community as a whole. I would prefer being informed but I am also not the type to flip tables and go nuts if they miss a projection.
You misunderstand me.
I am not arguing whether or not they should share release date before they are set in stone.
I'm saying that once that choice is made and when they choose to share those plan with us, you get hype, you raise people expectation, at that point if there is a delay you have to share that with the community asap.
It doesn't mean focusing your communication only on that 'failure', but you know you are gonna disappoint people on that aspect, but you only make things worst if you string them along until the last minute.

How's the audio for regular effects with the music off? Directional sound working as expected?

its borderline passable. i feel they still have a long way to go to compete with DICE in the audio department.

on another note
CIG please turn down the bloom. its burning my eyes.
No lobby system after the round is finished - it kicks you back to the main menu
i cant shoot my weapon after i respawn
server/disconnection/high latency issues
load out isn't carrying over for me in game
games that aren't full works fine but once the room is filled everyone gets disconnected before the first round is finished. CIG will be running a promotion in a few days that should see thousands of people trying to get a few games in and the disconnection issues will be a massive problem.. maybe fix this shit before you guys do it?

i wonder how much of Illfonics work was thrown out. one side of me thinks the shooting feels great but the other side is thinking how much more work Star Marine needs to make it stand out and its such a minuscule part of the game.

chifanpoe

Also got an invite. Download is full 30Gb so I assume the patcher is still the old bandwidth eating monster.

It is :(

The one and only downside of being in all the PTUs. If go into the launcher setup menu turn off P2P that will help some.

Also random Herald shots because I love that ship:

sFqrWYn.jpg

HXBDHCK.jpg

iHaunter

Having played a few rounds of Star Marine I can say that it's actually pretty fun.

Basic of course, but I'm pleasantly surprised. Going to do a few more rounds of Last Stand. It's a bit crazy to think that this level of FPS is going to be combined with Space Flight and Planetary Landing...Nuts!

It's much funner than it looks.

Most of it :p

Good to see the trailer is up - sooner than I expected :O

Hey! I was in a game of Star Marine with you earlier today, as long as nobody can just use Noonan-CIG as their handle anyway. Awesome job on it, I'm having tons of fun and it's really a great experience, even with the game still in alpha.

Raticus79

D'oh, it turns out the weird behaviour I was seeing with low GPU usage and high CPU usage on one core was actually due to having triple buffering off (leftover from running two-way SLI before). Fixed it by enabling it in the NVIDIA control panel and using r_FullscreenWindow = 1 in the custom user.cfg

KKRT00

I was not active in previous PTUs, so i wont get invite here ;p
Oh well, i have other games to play :)

Ps. People comparing this game to other FPS games should also consider that this is MMO. Even if they wont improve current mechanics in comparison to other games in the genre its like light years ahead, though of course let complain to make it better ;p

SeanNoonan

Hey! I was in a game of Star Marine with you earlier today, as long as nobody can just use Noonan-CIG as their handle anyway. Awesome job on it, I'm having tons of fun and it's really a great experience, even with the game still in alpha.
Yeah, that was me. Sorry I wasn't much use, I was checking some collision that I'd fixed the the map earlier that day :D

Yea, I got an invite. Just wish I didn't have to download the full 30GB every time. We're all home for the holidays so bandwidth is getting eaten up.

MaLDo

D'oh, it turns out the weird behaviour I was seeing with low GPU usage and high CPU usage on one core was actually due to having triple buffering off (leftover from running two-way SLI before). Fixed it by enabling it in the NVIDIA control panel and using r_FullscreenWindow = 1 in the custom user.cfg

Maybe you can try enabling full screen mode and then set r_NumBackbuffers=3 instead of fullscreen windowed mode (that is border less windowed) that usually doesn't allow full sli scale.

Raticus79

Maybe you can try enabling full screen mode and then set r_NumBackbuffers=3 instead of fullscreen windowed mode (that is border less windowed) that usually doesn't allow full sli scale.

I'm back on single GPU now, do I don't have to worry about SLI stuff any more at least. I'll give that setting a shot anyway - alt-tabbing was resetting it to double-buffered, so maybe it'll help. Didn't seem like it was really doing borderless fullscreen.

Think I'll just switch over to my 1440p gsync monitor and sidestep the issue. 4K is usually around 45 FPS for me in arena commander, which doesn't quite cut it.

Raticus79

GAWD DAAYYUUUMMMM!!

Aint NOOOOOOObody gonna be making videos about how bad the graphics are for this game, thats for damn sure.

So im guessing Star Citizen is this generations "CRYSIS" for PC.

With the way they've been picking up ex-Crytek devs, that's getting closer to being the truth in a literal way.

Pomerlaw

I'm not finding the Star Marine graphics to be spectacular in any way to be frank. It is not up to the levels of ships and space graphics.

Some FPS out these days look better imo. Of course, it's not finished yet, so it may look better down the line.

Maybe it's just the art style that lacks direction, I dunno.

Jumping back in for the first time in a while, didn't know star marine stuff was starting to come out. Dumb question, is there anything you can do about blood loss?

Edit: ...Man, this is pretty alright.

Top Bottom