• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

~Cross~

I should write a pithy "DUH!", a lot of people seemingly didn't understand plain english.

I mean sure if you actually believe the people that came up with "SM is weeks, not months away" and "Our community manager has played all the SQ42 missions" then more power to you. He's preaching to the choir.

tuxfool

Banned
I mean sure if you actually believe the people that came up with "SM is weeks, not months away" and "Our community manager has played all the SQ42 missions" then more power to you. He's preaching to the choir.

Believing is one thing, but writing outright fantasies is quite another. You either state why you think the official statement is wrong or you say nothing.

They actually did it, they switched engines apparently. RIP Star Engine we hardly knew you.

I mean, you know nothing about the engine if you thought a vanilla replacement would do the trick.

~Cross~

Believing is one thing, but writing outright fantasies is quite another. You either state why you think the official statement is wrong or you say nothing.

I mean, you know nothing about the engine if you thought a vanilla replacement would do the trick.

Ummm why should I believe a guy that is consistently wrong about everything in his own games and has a distinct reason to keep things looking as cheery as possible?

Look, I distinctly remember a live stream they had where they brought in a developer, and everything was fine and well until that developer just nonchalantly mentioned that the models were being reworked, the immediate reactions of the hosts was that they looked like their dogs were put down. The developer reiterates what he said, as if expecting a confirmation from the rest of the host, this is something they SHOULD know.

In any other production this would be a non issue. Its something thats ultimately better for the final product. But thats not the case with CIGs PR. Dissenters have been using the constant changes of assets as proof that the production was troubled. That no real progess was being made on a lot of fronts because things were constantly having to be redone. A letter penned by an ex staffer spoke of it, the kotaku article went in detail over it, another staffer that refused to speak to the author of the article eventually confirmed it as well.

Now then, up comes the engine change. For about as long, the same dissenters have been going on about how the engine is absolute shit and that the ultimate comedy would be if CIG changed it mid production. And lo and behold. Of course they have a vested interest to try and downplay it. For all we know, Chris might be right. Without actually comparing the source codes for each engine we cant really know. I choose not believe though, became I have absolutely 0 trust in Roberts. He lost it all earlier in the year and he's failed to earn it back.

tuxfool

Banned
In any other production this would be a non issue. Its something thats ultimately better for the final product. But thats not the case with CIGs PR. Dissenters have been using the constant changes of assets as proof that the production was troubled. That no real progess was being made on a lot of fronts because things were constantly having to be redone. A letter penned by an ex staffer spoke of it, the kotaku article went in detail over it, another staffer that refused to speak to the author of the article eventually confirmed it as well.

Now then, up comes the engine change. For about as long, the same dissenters have been going on about how the engine is absolute shit and that the ultimate comedy would be if CIG changed it mid production. And lo and behold. Of course they have a vested interest to try and downplay it. For all we know, Chris might be right. Without actually comparing the source codes for each engine we cant really know. I choose not believe though, became I have absolutely 0 trust in Roberts. He lost it all earlier in the year and he's failed to earn it back.
Believe it as you like. I'm calling into question your shit tier posts, you have yet to disprove their official statement with any verifiable information. You can check to see just how little lumberyard core diverges from the base 3.8 version of cryengine. That fact supports their claims.

Then there are the large changes they made to vanilla such as the 64 bit coordinate system. These aren't core technologies that they can just abandon. Yet somehow you thought that they weren't lying about moving to lumberyard, but then then lying how much their own core technology mattered to the project. You going "RIP Star Engine" makes your insight on this topic as worthless as dirt.

KKRT00

Crazy fidelity:

starcitizen_2016_12_27rb5o.png

starcitizen_2016_12_2z7lct.png

starcitizen_2016_12_22bz5d.png

starcitizen_2016_12_2bjykx.png

Had better shots, but MSI Afterburner fucked me over ;p

RE4PRR

They should have kept the first person from Crysis. Their way of trying to make the first person camera super real imo makes the fps side crap.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
That's not online though is it.. Just single player from C2. None of these issues with Online for any of the games.

Right, it's just switching to external camera to show something that normally can't be seen. They're avoiding having to make a second set of animations for being viewed by third person, and keeping things consistent between what the player thinks is happening and what's actually happening, at the expense of not being able to do the same kinds of movements in some cases as you point out.

RE4PRR

Right, it's just switching to external camera to show something that normally can't be seen. They're avoiding having to make a second set of animations for being viewed by third person, and keeping things consistent between what the player thinks is happening and what's actually happening, at the expense of not being able to do the same kinds of movements in some cases as you point out.

Don't get me wrong, I think a proper 1st/3rd person system is a great thing and I know of the benefits with say reloading and other animations at the correct speed/location and cover etc, but even their recent head bobbing fix using similar ideas as birds isn't enough. Movement still feels quite unnatural. Benefits of being Alpha though I suppose.

tuxfool

Banned
Yep. No luck :(

That really sucks. I guess my last recourse is for you to copy the Public folder and then remove and reinstall the patcher for fresh. Afterwards copy your old Public folder into the same folder (not that it really matters, most of the pak files have changed from 2.5).

Pomerlaw

That really sucks. I guess my last recourse is for you to copy the Public folder and then remove and reinstall the patcher for fresh. Afterwards copy your old Public folder into the same folder (not that it really matters, most of the pak files have changed from 2.5).

Tried this too. It just won't download. wtf

iHaunter

Don't get me wrong, I think a proper 1st/3rd person system is a great thing and I know of the benefits with say reloading and other animations at the correct speed/location and cover etc, but even their recent head bobbing fix using similar ideas as birds isn't enough. Movement still feels quite unnatural. Benefits of being Alpha though I suppose.

I'm glad we have this iteration of FPS and not the Crysis-esque version.

Ok I think I've put in enough time in the build to get a decent opinion on the changes so far.

Ships I've flown:
Aurora MR
Sabre
Avenger
Connie

First of all let's go with the helmets, the default one for some forsaken reason has that chin piece which obstructs panels and is a general eyesore. I did a bunch of the ICC missions and bought the good looking medium armor which has a clear view even through the chin piece is about the same height as the standard according to the mannequins:

As far as HUDs go, there are aesthetically good looking but still fail to communicate information to pilots. In the Avenger weapon heat, boost fuel, target info, ship, info is all restricted to 3 HDD panels with the 3rd being so far down you can't get a look at it in a pinch. So there is still a critical lack of information. The Connie though, I felt was the opposite, where are not enough differences in MFD choices so you will end up with 2 redundant screens. In Elite the radar disk doubles in asteroid fields as a collision sensor showing an augmented view of asteroids. I'd like to get something similar to help maneuver the larger ships where you can't look around the sides to gauge how big it is.

As far as flight mechanics I feel somewhat vindicated in my pre-patch assessment. The main problem again is the acceleration and rotation rates. The speed cap is inconsequential if I can go from 0-max-0 in about 6 seconds. It makes the nuance of throttle and energy management non-existent and I can correct anything by applying boost. AB feels really funky to playing with it, the gulf between the to cruise speed and the top SCM speed is so wide in some ships (~150-~850 in the Avenger) that it feels more like coming to a complete stop once out. Also I don't know if it's me playing a lot of Elite but decoupled feels a lot more neutered than before, a lot more like regular flight than it did before.

The biggest point for me in this patch is gunnery. Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery. In the game where they want you to use cannons and lasers against other ships at close range it needs to communicate the feeling the firing and feedback for landing hits. Also receiving hits needs to be something that is communicated a lot more to the pilot outside of panels. Like I can go up against a pirate cutlass and and just turn and shoot, shoot, shoot for a long time with no idea of how much and what damage I am doing it gets very boring. CR said he wanted to more emulate WW2/WW1 style of dogfighting then he should play some of those games to see how they communicate damage. Wounding ships needs to be far more prevalent after the first couple of hits, things like smoke trailing or visible part damage off of ships. I also don't know if it is a bug, but shields don't ever go down, they always show when making hits even right before a ship explodes. Also there needs to be error in the shot spread, having a static beam of shots all landing in same exact place, again makes it look and feel boring in combat. The ship should shake when they fire and have a certain amount of error in the spreads to it communicates you are firing massive weapons. The gunnery aspect also applies to SM, there is very little recoil and the sound and feel of weapons is weak. Takes away the whole "slow and tactical" feel they want to have.

Another thing this patch does is rip the band-aid off the IM and gimball problem. It is now a complete disadvantage to not use it. Seriously whatever control you use please PLEASE take a moment and lock gimballs and activate relative mode for a play session. It is an entirely different game which exposes how poorly the flight mechanics are and the complete lack of fine maneuvering. This is it for CIG IMO, they need to finally address this and make the same game for everyone regardless of what device you use.

tuxfool

Banned
Another thing this patch does is rip the band-aid off the IM and gimball problem. It is now a complete disadvantage to not use it. Seriously whatever control you use please PLEASE take a moment and lock gimballs and activate relative mode for a play session. It is an entirely different game which exposes how poorly the flight mechanics are and the complete lack of fine maneuvering. This is it for CIG IMO, they need to finally address this and make the same game for everyone regardless of what device you use.

As much as I agree, they're not going to do it. Mouse users will all revolt if they remove interactive mode. Some of the earlier PTU patches had acceleration adjusted to be in line with the slower speeds, but a vocal contingent of PVPers complained that it was too much like Elite, and so they changed it back.

Even with that said, a majority prefer the way it is now to 2.5.

KKRT00

. The gunnery aspect also applies to SM, there is very little recoil and the sound and feel of weapons is weak. Takes away the whole "slow and tactical" feel they want to have.

I think that base recoil is pretty good actually. You must consider that this state for player with fully stamina and fully healed. With wounds, stamina management and permadeath this actually seems quite decent, its slightly higher than Battlefield.
Though they definitely need to add higher recoil modifiers for shooting in ground motion.

-----
Some fun in SM FFA with director mode ;)

https://a.pomf.cat/monwmt.webm
https://a.pomf.cat/woklib.webm

Zabojnik

Very nice, KKRT00.

The thirst for space sci-fi is real. I might have to rewatch 2001 one of these days. Or Interstellar. Hell, I'm even looking forward to The Expanse S2.

KKRT00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoPjqEnrIv8
Some of my yesterday struggles in Battle Royale ;p
I had worse performance than before, do not know why, but on video it seems like one thread is fully occupied.
I need better weapons and rockets, because Aurora MR is a struggle and weapons i bought with REC are not showing in customization.
Goal for today to get enough REC to rent some nice ship ;p

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
"Director mode" controls: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5kr5zf/director_mode_camera_controls/

BOREDGAMER_UK said:
Here are the Camera Controls & Director Mode as I understand it with a couple of tips.
Camera Controls
Tap F4 | Cycles Thru Views
Pressing once will put you in 3rd person
A Second time Custom Camera
A Third Back to 1st Person
Tap Z | Toggle Orbit Cam
Hold F4 Then + or - | Changes your depth of field
Hold F4 & * | Reset to previous view
Hold F4 & Arrow Keys | Target Offset
Hold F4 & PageUp / PageDown | Strafe Up & Down
Hold F4 & Home / End | Background Blur
Mouse Wheel | Zoom in & Out

Saving Camera Presets
They do not persist between sessions but to Save upto 9 Cameras as Presets for later use:
HOLD F4 & HOLD a NUMPAD Key | Save a Preset
HOLD F4 & TAP the NUMPAD Key | Load a Saved Preset

Other Useful Controls
On Foot

B | Toggle Walk / Run
Ctrl | Toggle Crouch
X | Go Prone

Piloting a Ship
C | Toggle DeCoupled Mode
Right Alt & , | Toggle Mouse Move Mode (More Stable Camera)
Right Alt & M | Look Ahead Mode Toggle (Recommend turning off for Recording 1st Person)

In First Person Mode - Remove the Chat Window
Right Alt and / to Bring up a cursor And allow you to interact /w the chatbox
Select the 3 horizontal lines, then click the speech bubble
This will create your own chat room so that you can’t see the global chat.
Press Right Alt and / Again to close this

Daedardus

Man, wish I didn't have finals, otherwise I would give the patch a new go. It looks very good, especially now that we've reached official vaporware status.

~Cross~

The first step towards Star Citizen Premium. I, for one, welcome it.

Someone needs to ask Chris how private and modded servers are supposed to work in Lumberyard. Would the player have to rent cloud resources and pay the bandwidth from AWS to run their own private instance?

NuMiQ

Neo Member
I need better weapons and rockets, because Aurora MR is a struggle and weapons i bought with REC are not showing in customization.
Goal for today to get enough REC to rent some nice ship ;p

Yup, seems something is still off with the Aurora MR's missile hardpoint. I have a missile rack bought with UEC which is not showing up in the customization list. Think it might have something to do with the hardpoint size not being read/set correctly, but I can't complain too much, at least the hardpoint is back from absence during 2.5.

Gonna collect some more data and see if I can contribute to an existing issue council report if I can rip myself from Star Marine.

Also: nice pics!

*edit: Ah, here we go: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...dels_without_default_missile_rack__ES_MR_CL_?

Zalusithix

Someone needs to ask Chris how private and modded servers are supposed to work in Lumberyard. Would the player have to rent cloud resources and pay the bandwidth from AWS to run their own private instance?

For the most part, there's no reason for this to be different than regular Cryengine. There's nothing in the license preventing people from running their own hardware for servers. You just can't use competing cloud providers. No Azure, Google Cloud, etc. Basically capabilities that private servers aren't going to need in the first place as they'll be vastly limited in scope compared to the official one(s). I mean, I suppose they could work with Amazon to provide on-the-fly private servers as a monetized thing, but there's no reason they'd have to.

epmode

I don't think there's any chance of the persistent universe being available on private servers. Maybe they'll give the option for something like Star Marine or Arena Commander but I'm not even sure about that.

Zalusithix

I don't think there's any chance of the persistent universe being available on private servers. Maybe they'll give the option for something like Star Marine or Arena Commander but I'm not even sure about that.

The plan, if you can call it that, is to provide a severely cut down private server that is for all intents and purposes a separate beast from the real PU. A static universe with a set population limit (<1000) that is updated less frequently. They have referenced Freelancer a number of times as an example.

I honestly wish they would cut their losses and kill the feature. Sure it'd cause a firestorm for a bit by the vocal minority that actually care about the functionality, and it'd give the critics something else to be "concerned" about, but it'd save a fair amount of work of creating and maintaining (however infrequently) something separate from the real PU. Having nothing is better than a half-assed feature that's bound to languish.

KKRT00

Is AO Disable in some Screens? IDK something still feels off regarding material shading,Apart from leather and cloth texture.

No, AO is enabled. I dont think we can disabled it.
SSDO in CE are not over exaggerated, so it sometimes look like it doesnt work ;p

---
Yup, seems something is still off with the Aurora MR's missile hardpoint. I have a missile rack bought with UEC which is not showing up in the customization list. Think it might have something to do with the hardpoint size not being read/set correctly, but I can't complain too much, at least the hardpoint is back from absence during 2.5.

Gonna collect some more data and see if I can contribute to an existing issue council report if I can rip myself from Star Marine.

Also: nice pics!

*edit: Ah, here we go: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...dels_without_default_missile_rack__ES_MR_CL_?

Thanks for the link, i contributed to the ticket.

noomi

Just pulled the trigger on that game, got the $60 package with the combat looking ship and Sqaudron 42.

I imagine this now grants me access to all future and current content/modules? So right now, once I log in I can play the 7 available modules?

Downloading now...

masterkajo

Just pulled the trigger on that game, got the $60 package with the combat looking ship and Sqaudron 42.

I imagine this now grants me access to all future and current content/modules? So right now, once I log in I can play the 7 available modules?

Downloading now...
correct. welcome to the verse.

noomi

correct. welcome to the verse.

Awesome, thank you.

I'm very excited to jump into this, I know it's an alpha still but I've been following the game for a few years and have been very impressed by what I've seen so far.

From what I gather, I understand that the controls can be a bit complicated and overwhelming to new players. Is there a nice guide out there somewhere for newcomers?

Also, can anyone comment on performance? I have a pretty beefy PC, but don't expect it to be perfect since... y'know alpha and all :p

masterkajo

Awesome, thank you.

I'm very excited to jump into this, I know it's an alpha still but I've been following the game for a few years and have been very impressed by what I've seen so far.

From what I gather, I understand that the controls can be a bit complicated and overwhelming to new players. Is there a nice guide out there somewhere for newcomers?

Also, can anyone comment on performance? I have a pretty beefy PC, but don't expect it to be perfect since... y'know alpha and all :p
Here should be some key bindings for 2.6 (the newest alpha build) https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...-citizen-keybinds-2-6-printer-friendly#latest

Also don't expect too much. The game is still pretty rough and only a very small subset of features is available. Performance will vary depending on what module you play. Olisar (mini PU) will have bad framerate the longer the server is running. Will hopefully be fixed with the next update (3.0 which will come in 2017... maybe as late as summer). The other modules should give you much better fps.

Top Bottom