• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

Pomerlaw

I'm pretty sure that Chris after watching Anthem will delay S42 due to wanting to match its fidelity... I would not even blame him.
How the fuck that game looks that good, unbelievable.
I would love if SC/S42 ever approached this fidelity.

This game does look awesome. But I don't think it has spaceships and PG planets so...

I'm pretty sure that Chris after watching Anthem will delay S42 due to wanting to match its fidelity... I would not even blame him.
How the fuck that game looks that good, unbelievable.
I would love if SC/S42 ever approached this fidelity.

I know you're just having a jest, but man, impossible at the level of complexity we're talking about here. The closest game graphically I've seen to Anthem that ran that good was Paragon, and that games scope is... well a moba. So it makes sense.

If that truly was in game, then I'm imagining that its all instanced, and the "zone" they flew to was just a map point essentially. That's probably going to be another game that really disappoints people with the downgrade and scope of the title. (Destiny or the Division all over again.) Though I'd love to eat crow here.

KKRT00

This game does look awesome. But I don't think it has spaceships and PG planets so...

Yeah, technologically they are way different. SC is doing much more in terms of core underneath tech. I was just talking about fidelity ;)

----

I know you're just having a jest, but man, impossible at the level of complexity we're talking about here. The closest game graphically I've seen to Anthem that ran that good was Paragon, and that games scope is... well a moba. So it makes sense.

If that truly was in game, then I'm imagining that its all instanced, and the "zone" they flew to was just a map point essentially. That's probably going to be another game that really disappoints people with the downgrade and scope of the title. (Destiny or the Division all over again.) Though I'd love to eat crow here.

I'm pretty sure that Anthem will work in similar way as Guild Wars 1 worked.
So, you hub city, but everything outside of city is single instance you create that some additional players can join in, probably up to 4 or 6. Its not MMO in SC sense.

They already said they are skipping E3 and attending Gamescom, so I don't know why anyone expected a suprise announcement at E3.

yZkELIg.gif

iHaunter

The PC conference is over, and no CIG suprise reveal or even info. I suppose they will wait for Gamescom to show SQ42. I hope. Citizencon is so far away.

I expect no more than a vertical slice of SQ42 this year.

I rather it be 2018 than rushed. I think 2018 is definitely possible.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
They camera shake that intro so hard that the frame is wrapping around, lol
(edit: mirrored at the edges, I guess)

Looking forward to catching this one later. I hadn't caught up with the terminology other than a very basic idea of what serialized variables were.

Been away from SC for awhile.

Anything new happen in the past 3 months worth discussing?

I know 3.0 is reportedly around the corner. I've probably spent an hour at most in 2.6

I hate setting up my key binding when I know the probability of a version release changing things might happen.

What's the best resource for a 2.6 newb?

I haven't played around with the game since Crusader was released oh so long ago. 3.0 is looking like it's definitely going to be something to check out, but part of me wants to wait til the 300 series is revamped... my 315p was (still is?) some insanely ghetto ass buggy shit. Any hope for that sometime... I dunno, this year?

I haven't played around with the game since Crusader was released oh so long ago. 3.0 is looking like it's definitely going to be something to check out, but part of me wants to wait til the 300 series is revamped... my 315p was (still is?) some insanely ghetto ass buggy shit. Any hope for that sometime... I dunno, this year?

That is the point of moving ships over to item 2.0. This is happening for every ship that is released so far.

That is the point of moving ships over to item 2.0. This is happening for every ship that is released so far.

I mean the actual redesign specifically of the 300 series, new/updated models to current ship standards of quality. They've talked about that a whiiiile ago, but from some Googling doesn't seem like it's quite on the table yet.

I mean the actual redesign specifically of the 300 series, new/updated models to current ship standards of quality. They've talked about that a whiiiile ago, but from some Googling doesn't seem like it's quite on the table yet.

Sorry I wasn't sure what you meant because you stated "buggy". I don't know if or when they will do a redesign on the ship. Functionality of ship is supposed to be touched during the conversion. So you may not get a full redesign but it should be less buggy after the conversion.

Zalusithix

IIRC the 300 rework was pushed to 2018.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Been away from SC for awhile.

Anything new happen in the past 3 months worth discussing?

I know 3.0 is reportedly around the corner. I've probably spent an hour at most in 2.6

I hate setting up my key binding when I know the probability of a version release changing things might happen.

What's the best resource for a 2.6 newb?

This one's a good overview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlR18yxoQl8
Check the description for timestamp links for the different sections.

Zabojnik

CitizenCon info.

Star Citizen Newsletter - CitizenCon 2947 Tickets Inbound!
June 16th, 2017

Greetings Citizen,

This week, we were excited to finally announce the details for CitizenCon 2947. This year’s celebration will be held on Friday, October 27th, at the Capitol Theater in Frankfurt, Germany. CitizenCon is a wonderful event that brings Star Citizen fans and devs together for a truly unique experience that celebrates both the game and the incredible community that’s making it a reality. The event sells out quick, so be sure to see how you can secure your ticket.

Meanwhile, this week’s Around the Verse featured the dynamic hosting duo of Chris and Erin Roberts and featured a deep dive into a core part of our Star Network tech called serialized variable. Those that want to eat, drink and talk Star Citizen should see if any of the ten different Bar Citizens events occurring over the next two weeks are in your neck of the woods. We've also announced our next ship -- the Nox, a Xi’an open-canopy space bike. Finally, celebrate Father’s Day by checking out our flash sale on two speedsters -- the Origin M50 & MISC Razor. Check out all the details below!

Sincerely,

The Star Citizen Team

EDIT: Well, not much actual info, I guess. Still, #itshappening.

FiraB

Banned
Clive Johnson's segment on networking was clearly a cry for help / more network programmers, lol. Awesome stuff tho.
Sadly true.

Not enough network programmers out there, we need two at my company but are having to train up two graduates instead which will take at least two years.

Daedardus

Texture is fine. It's somewhat matte roughness. But the cut is.... unorthodox. The game is reaching such high levels of FIDELITY that some cuts do not fit some people.

Have you ever seen someone with hair like that in real life though? CIG needs to invent new tech for hair lighting effects, because clearly video games struggle a lot with showing decent looking hair in real time.

KKRT00

Have you ever seen someone with hair like that in real life though? CIG needs to invent new tech for hair lighting effects, because clearly video games struggle a lot with showing decent looking hair in real time.

They know their hair sucks, they are working on it.

Taranis

Neo Member
They know their hair sucks, they are working on it.

I'm really eager to see how they handle longer hair. With zero g and characters wearing helmets, implementing hair with the same fidelity as the character animations and textures must be difficult.

Zalusithix

The Terrapin will be my ship of choice I think.

You were an explorer in Elite IIRC (been a long time since I was last active in the Elite thread), so the Terrapin should be a good fit there as a single crew ship. Small, heavily armored, good sensors, long range, and low value to pirates. Downside being that the thing probably won't be able to kill anything higher up than an Aurora, so it'll have to rely on being ignored. Most ships will be able to slowly whittle it down and either ignore or evade it's armament. The part that complicates the situation a bit, is that while the ship is low value from a cargo and raw ship cost perspective, it's secondary purpose might get it in hot water: recon. Pirates probably won't like having their location probed by long distance scanners, even if it wasn't intentional. It'll be interesting to see how it'll all play out in the end. Granted that's a ways off from even 3.0.

The only other dedicated single-seat explorer focused ship is the 315p (which as mentioned above is not due a design pass until 2018), right? Us explorer types dont have much option at the moment without going down the multicrew route, although a) the build focus is not yet on exploration mechanics and b) it remains to be seen how effective just swapping out modules in whatever ship you want to turn it into an exploration vessel will be.

Zalusithix

The only other dedicated single-seat explorer focused ship is the 315p (which as mentioned above is not due a design pass until 2018), right? Us explorer types dont have much option at the moment without going down the multicrew route, although a) the build focus is not yet on exploration mechanics and b) it remains to be seen how effective just swapping out modules in whatever ship you want to turn it into an exploration vessel will be.

The Terrapin isn't a 3.0 ship, and as you mentioned, full fledged exploration as a gameplay mechanic isn't going to happen in the short term, so worrying about the status of other ships is a bit cart before the horse. Even with the 300 series refresh though, the 315p isn't going to compete with the Terrapin on the exploration front. The 315p is a variant of a cheap multirole vessel, while the Terrapin is at least three times the price and has a dedicated focus on the role. The 315p might be able to explore, but it won't be particularly great at it. It's more of a ship to dip your toes into the profession to see if it appeals to you. Honestly, even for that I'd probably go with the Reliant Sen first. It's a bit more expensive, but looks like it'll be a better ship for the task than the 315p.

As far as modularity and exploration ships goes, the Vanguard could be a decent explorer if there's enough flexibility in the system. The Warden/Sentinel/Harbinger/Hoplite variants have already proven it's a versatile hull with a fair amount of internal space, and it's a durable long range ship with the same 1-2 crew as the Sen/Terrapin. If you could attach a scanning array at the top turret location, you'd theoretically have a more offensive version of a Terrapin.

A Freelancer Dur can work as a solo exploration ship iirc. It does have space for more crew but isn't needed.

Why are people comparing Anthem to Star Citizen? Star Wars Battlefront/Battlefield 1 used photogrammetry too but I never saw the comparison.

Disregarding scale and the fact that Anthem is literally using scans as textures is pretty weird.

tuxfool

Banned
IDGI

The game looked impressive but as it goes years and years without release, obviously other games are going to overtake it in looks.

You're entitled to your opinion, even if it is bullshit. I totally get how people think you're trolling because it is utterly ridiculous, it makes it hard to take your opinions seriously.

You're entitled to your opinion, even if it is bullshit. I totally get how people think you're trolling because it is utterly ridiculous, it makes it hard to take your opinions seriously.

That and historical posts about SC. But mainly how illogical the comparison is.

Top Bottom