• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

Zabojnik

Truer words have never been said, but of course people will deny it

Beside the fact that they're (from what we know) completely different games attempting different things, this is something only someone who hasn't seen CIG's video output from the past year or so could possibly say. Ignorance is bliss, innit.

Sean is leaving CIG

http://noonan.design/updates/see-you-space-cowboy/

Loved your work, best of luck wherever you're going next dude.

Indeed. I wish you luck wherever you go.

Beside the fact that they're (from what we know) completely different games attempting different things, this is something only someone who hasn't seen CIG's video output from the past year or so could possibly say. Ignorance is bliss, innit.

Sneaky suspicion it isn't ignorance fueling these posts. Maybe it's love.

I don't know what's sadder: his ignorance or you going through his post history... It's pretty close.

You apparently don't know my posting habits nor what I keep track off. I tend to recognize certain trolls quickly because I ignore them after a huge amount of slanted or ignorant posts. So far, posts just reaffirm my choices. So you are mistaken if you think I randomly go through peoples post history. But your concern is noted. Wonderful take away for you I guess. So do you, uhh, have something to say about Star Citizen or just on the wings, waiting to proclaim your crush on Me? Maybe Mike Down? Should we be blushing?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Looked it up myself in the end, no e3 show? Whens the next demo/presentation, gamescom?

Yup, Gamescom Aug 22 and then Citizencon Oct 27. 3.0 should be starting Evocati testing soon and then the PTU release not long after that.

Anthem looks great. A bit behind on faces (skin specifically). Environments are great. I hope we have some similarly lush environments in 3.0 to compare.

NuMiQ

Neo Member
Yup, Gamescom Aug 22 and then Citizencon Oct 27. 3.0 should be starting Evocati testing soon and then the PTU release not long after that.

Anthem looks great. A bit behind on faces (skin specifically). Environments are great. I hope we have some similarly lush environments in 3.0 to compare.

I have zero idea on the other hand. Why folks are trying to use the vertical slice of that game to try and compare it graphical to star citizen. Its odd.

One is far bigger and far more complex then the other. We have no idea, what type of tricks they used for that demo -relatively speaking or even what that game will look like. When it releases two to three years from now.

I mean yeah the enviroments looked nice and alive but it was a linear pathed and short showcase.

Turth be told it gave me flash backs of The Division.

I have zero idea on the other hand. Why folks are trying to use the vertical slice of that games demo to try and compare it graphical to star citizen. Its odd.

One is far bigger and far more complex then the other. Who knows what type of tricks they used for that demo -relatively speaking or even what that game will look like. When it releases.

I mean yeah the enviroments looked nice and lesh but it was a linear pathed/short showcase.

Turth be turth be told it gave me flash backs of The Division.

Yea, you could have some pretty intense disappointment on the scope. I think it was potrayed as having an entirely different level of scale then we might actually see. It's become a common theme on the looter shooters games.

Geist-

I guess there's an image of the new Xi'an Nox:

Gk4Mqof.jpg

Dragonfly competitor?

Shy

Why not wait until the game comes out? This is like pre-ordering microtransactions... what's the point?
Because I AM AN IDIOT. There, are you happy ? 😝

Also they might release it with a limited edition colourway. (which i know is silly, but, ya know)

JCH!

You apparently don't know my posting habits nor what I keep track off. I tend to recognize certain trolls quickly because I ignore them after a huge amount of slanted or ignorant posts. So far, posts just reaffirm my choices. So you are mistaken if you think I randomly go through peoples post history. But your concern is noted. Wonderful take away for you I guess. So do you, uhh, have something to say about Star Citizen or just on the wings, waiting to proclaim your crush on Me? Maybe Mike Down? Should we be blushing?

I am sorry if my post came out a bit strong, it was not my intention to offend you but I can see how it could have.

I am of the school of thought of 'let's just ignore the trolls' so that's where my post was coming from.

BTW I don't even know who Mike Down is :(

Why not wait until the game comes out? This is like pre-ordering microtransactions... what's the point?

The point is that people may want to get ship without spending time to earn ship as well as help fund the game. The concepts also come with LTI. Considering the limited nature of Dragonfly ships and what looks like the Nox, getting them at this stage means your account will always have them. No matter what crazy stuff you pull.

I am sorry if my post came out a bit strong, it was not my intention to offend you but I can see how it could have.

I am of the school of thought of 'let's just ignore the trolls' so that's where my post was coming from.

BTW I don't even know who Mike Down is :(

No prob. Here is my thing with trolls in this thread. They are the same posters. They do not post constantly but usually wait. Their posts seem to misinform, filled with fake concern or sealioning. I tend to call the most grievous offenders out so that they know it hasn't gone unnoticed and also to those who may be lurking to beware of the messenger.

Posters being upset with the time it takes, or misinformed on a subject are one thing. Posters with an axe to grind that constantly spin and post misinformation, I find annoying personally. Especially the timing of when they come and go.

I do worry with all the LTI out there the kind of stuff people will pull constantly in terms of griefing. And this is coming from someone who has multiple LTI ships right now. Hopefully they have some kind of cool down to help assist with shenanigans. I could see engagements between large organizations becoming really problematic otherwise. There needs to be safeguards. Have they talked much about this? I don't really follow super closeely unless there's big news.

I do worry with all the LTI out there the kind of stuff people will pull constantly in terms of griefing. And this is coming from someone who has multiple LTI ships right now. Hopefully they have some kind of cool down to help assist with shenanigans. I could see engagements between large organizations becoming really problematic otherwise. There needs to be safeguards. Have they talked much about this? I don't really follow super closeely unless there's big news.

The LTI means you wont lose the base ship, it doesn't cover upgrades or enhancements. For limited use ships like the dragonfly, argo, snub fighters or Nox, it may not matter much. If you use any other role based ship and have customized it, you may not want to lose the ship. I imagine there will still be a cost involved. What that is yet is to be seen but looking at the larger ships modular parts in the hanger gives the impression you could lose alot.

Zalusithix

The LTI means you wont lose the base ship, it doesn't cover upgrades or enhancements. For limited use ships like the dragonfly, argo, snub fighters or Nox, it may not matter much. If you use any other role based ship and have customized it, you may not want to lose the ship. I imagine there will still be a cost involved. What that is yet is to be seen but looking at the larger ships modular parts in the hanger gives the impression you could lose alot.

Also, while it guarantees a replacement of the base hull, it doesn't guarantee a replacement time. Abuse the insurance system too much and you could potentially have an extremely long wait to get your hands on the replacement.

Is there a quick rundown anywhere of what's currently playable? Star Citizen has been on my radar for quite some time, but I've had a hard time finding summaries of what's available.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Is there a quick rundown anywhere of what's currently playable? Star Citizen has been on my radar for quite some time, but I've had a hard time finding summaries of what's available.

This video isn't exactly what you're looking for, and it's a bit long (20 minutes with skippable parts about making an account and downloading the game), but it does show everything you can do right now in the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlR18yxoQl8

[edit] Also, the Getting Started section on the official website has a general rundown:

Star Citizen said:
Currently Available Modules:
  • Arena Commander: An arcade-style dogfighting and racing mode that allows us to test our ships and physics-based flight model as players battle alongside and against their friends in multiple arenas and game.
  • Star Marine: A fast-paced battleground where players put our unique FPS gameplay through its paces, testing the seamless third and first person unified animations, zero-G combat, and a variety of high-tech weapons.
  • Area18: Originally designed as a test for planetside interactions, Area18 is an ultra-detailed cityscape for you and your friends to explore, go shopping, or just see the sights.
  • Hangar: Your own personal space to look at your ships up close, edit your loadouts, and see your special reward flair and decorations.
  • Persistent Universe: Commonly known as the PU, this mode combines all the other modes and allows players to explore a small section of one of our solar systems. Here you and your friends can do missions, engage in ship or FPS combat, or explore asteroid fields for long forgotten wrecks. This has all been built on our 64-bit game engine that provides seamless travel from inside a space station, to a spaceship so large that you and your friends can walk around inside while flying thousands of kilometers through space. All in real time. All without load screens. It's here in the PU that you begin to see the real promise of Star Citizen.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
When they say the sale ends through Friday the 23rd. When do they mean it ends exactly ?

Yeah, they could have put that a bit more clearly. "Pre-sale will run through Friday, June 23", so any time on Friday should be fine and then it'll stop being available sometime Saturday. (I'd assume it ends early Saturday morning rather than right at midnight to avoid any time zone issues)

Shy

Yeah, they could have put that a bit more clearly. "Pre-sale will run through Friday, June 23", so any time on Friday should be fine and then it'll stop being available sometime Saturday. (I'd assume it ends early Saturday morning rather than right at midnight to avoid any time zone issues)
Okie dokie. Thank you.

Shy

I was thinking i might melt my black Dragonfly. Then i would only need to spend 5 quid for the Nox Kue.

EDIT: I just melted Dragonfly. I didn't know you couldn't buy warbond ships with store credit. :_:

I hope the LTI Silver version will still be on sale when it goes on general sale.

Pomerlaw

How can some people call themselves gamers and compare Anthem to SC?

As far as I know you won't be able to travel on foot to those beautiful mountains in the background in Anthem. You won't be able to launch into space from your current position, fly to that nearby moon and land to see how your home planet looks like from there.

2 different games.

I prefer by far simpler graphics without the narrow and contrived feeling -

Now if Anthem can make things look like this with PG planets and full liberty of movement across star systems, we may be able to make direct comparisons.

Top Bottom