• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

frontieruk

Even the eventuality of them meshing servers, and having server hand off, for the persistent game world does not lend any plausability to the idea in your mind?

Yeah because everyone is believing Microsoft is managing that with Crackdown 3. If one of the the biggest players in cloud computing is being doubted with their implementation why should anyone trust CIG can do it?

Yeah because everyone is believing Microsoft is managing that with Crackdown 3. If one of the the biggest players in cloud computing is being doubted with their implementation why should anyone trust CIG can do it?

I did not realise that was the source whereupon everyone was levelling their doubt at crackdown 3, rather I thought it was the general lack of polish shown in the few gameplay demos they have had.

mnannola

Let me understand, at this point, 5 years into Star Citizen +/- however many "lost years" we are supposed to find excuses for, how much content does Star Citizen have right now? Does it have a single populated content-rich planet that they can show us?

Is there a single working mission from SQ42 that they can demo for us?

Ok forget content, let's talk about systems. Does the flight model work yet? AI, combat? Does trading exist? Does having more than 12 people in an instance work? What have they been perfecting for 5 years? Why is there any time and energy being poured into things like "facial animations" when there is neither any content nor do the core systems work?

This is the crux of the issue for me. This is why this game is no where near a releasable state. It's not because of bugs. It is because entire gameplay systems haven't been implemented yet. The amount of complex gameplay systems that yet to implement is enormous.

What is the best guess for how long it will take for all those features to get implemented into a state where they can even start fixing bugs with those features? To me it seems like 3-5 years minimum.

frontieruk

I did not realise that was the source whereupon everyone was levelling their doubt at crackdown 3, rather I thought it was the general lack of polish shown in the few gameplay demos they have had.

Lack of polish came from the E3 single player video demo, as mp was a no show. An earlier thread from GDC shows how people are doubting the tech behind the cloud implementation, and the showing of cloudgines VR game had the E3 thread discussing if they were trying to distance themselves from CD3 due to crappy cloud performance thus a no show at E3

Lack of polish came from the E3 single player video demo, as mp was a no show. An earlier thread from GDC shows how people are doubting the tech behind the cloud implementation, and the showing of cloudgines VR game had the E3 thread discussing if they were trying to distance themselves from CD3 due to crappy cloud performance thus a no show at E3
I find that rather speculative.
There is no actual forward hints that the reason Crackdown is so pushed back is because of their inability to make cloud computing work for them. It could be a whole host of things that also enter the realm of possibility holding the game back, don't you think?
That makes the abstraction in referencing a speculative situation about one product in one context (crackdown, MS) into another speculative context for another productin a different context (SC, CIG) rather circumspect.

Love the way the new Arc Light Laser Pistol looks
DJdi49sU8AAg4CQ.jpg:orig

Shy

My friend asked me a question about the Referral program, but i don't know the answer so i'm asking you guys.

If he gifts a package greater than 45 bucks. Does it count towards his points. Or does the person using his code have to buy their own ships/packages ?

Thanks in advance.

Jackpot

Banned
Chris Roberts: We run the business like a live business - we look at what we bring in every month, every year and plan our business by that. If that changed, we would change what we do. Outside the fact we're not finished or released, the company runs like we had an online game which was monetised every day.

It sure does.

Eurogamer: The game has a lot of fans but also a lot of detractors, and for every missed deadline those detractors' claims are proved more correct. What would you say to reassure them?

Chris Roberts: I mean, you're a gaming journalist, I've been in the industry a long time. How many times do you hear that another publisher like EA or Ubisoft or anyone that's creating something big or new or ambitious, even after four or five years of development, where they've promised it for this year and then when the time comes they say 'actually, it's going to be the following year after all'. It happens a lot. A lot of titles get killed along the way. The game business is unpredictable - there's a lot of R&D which happens, people are just not particularly aware of that because they don't see how the sausage is made a lot of the time.

Eurogamer: Sure, although the difference for you guys is that people have already put in their money, as opposed to a Ubisoft game which isn't crowdfunded.

Chris Roberts: Yes, but we do say it when people put in their money - there's a load of disclaimers on it.

Ye gods...

Bionic

My friend asked me a question about the Referral program, but i don't know the answer so i'm asking you guys.

If he gifts a package greater than 45 bucks. Does it count towards his points. Or does the person using his code have to buy their own ships/packages ?

Thanks in advance.
They have to buy their own ships/packages. Until their account spends the money, they will continue to show as a pending referral.

~Cross~

It sure does.

Ye gods...

You forgot the best quote

People still say 'Chris, you lied to me', even if I did give all those caveats for our predictions. People forget all those qualifiers. I am fed up of giving someone an estimate - I'd rather say, here's the data I have, here's the schedule I see

"The fine print absolves me of any culpability! It is you, the user that is wrong for expecting me to be right in the first place!"

elyetis

You forgot the best quote
"The fine print absolves me of any culpability! It is you, the user that is wrong for expecting me to be right in the first place!"
I would kind of agree with him when it comes to the delay once a patch in the schedule report phase. But I still doubt the release 3.0 late 2016 was something he got from a detailed internal production schedule.
But he did avoid making any kind of prediction during Gamescom so even if it took a while, there was clear improvement on that front.
So it's going to be handled like early access with consistent updates to development paths thanks in part to the revamping of major backend mechanics?
Monthly updates, and a separate branch for the nightly build, hell yeah.

What I mean is I hope we get 3.1 in december.

Pepboy

I would kind of agree with him when it comes to the delay once a patch in the schedule report phase. But I still doubt the release 3.0 late 2016 was something he got from a detailed internal production schedule.
But he did avoid making any kind of prediction during Gamescom so even if it took a while, there was clear improvement on that front.

December 2018 seems plausible but not guaranteed. Adding mining will take them a lot longer than I think most would think. The asteroids would presumably need to have the same location to all players in the area so combat can be resolved. I don't think their server will be easily able to handle the extra information. Plus Roberts will want to make accurate destruction physics that add 3 months. Of course, if 3.0 release misses first half of 2018 (as seems likely), then there's no way 3.1 would make 2018.

elyetis

December 2018 seems plausible but not guaranteed. Adding mining will take them a lot longer than I think most would think. The asteroids would presumably need to have the same location to all players in the area so combat can be resolved. I don't think their server will be easily able to handle the extra information. Plus Roberts will want to make accurate destruction physics that add 3 months. Of course, if 3.0 release misses first half of 2018 (as seems likely), then there's no way 3.1 would make 2018.
It would be ""funny"" to see mining being a source of delay for 3.1 when at some point they thought it would actually be ready for 3.0.. when it was a June release.

~Cross~

Im pretty sure Chris went off and said it was coming out in October just as Gamescom finished to some other rag but even that seems unlikely given the complete clamming up of CIG and bug projection graph trending upwards even after solving like 15 bugs that revolved around the client using the wrong textures.

Also 1 month patches, yeah that was a hoot back in early 2.0.

It would be ""funny"" to see mining being a source of delay for 3.1 when at some point they thought it would actually be ready for 3.0.. when it was a June release.

If mining was just shooting at rocks like EVE, Elite or NMS then yes, they could probably crank it out in a few months. But did you see the fucking design document for mining? Its leagues more complex than anything currently in 3.0.

elyetis

But did you see the fucking design document for mining?
To be fair I didn't... ( but I do hope they won't do something as stupid as the non reusable Drone of Elite Dangerous, mining could be something fun ) but I also wasn't the one who thought that it could actually be part of 3.0 at some point, that came from people who should know better than me.

Burny

But did you see the fucking design document for mining? Its leagues more complex than anything currently in 3.0.

Precious few people are going to buy a $325 mining ship (Orion) if they're told that all it does, is pointing a laser at a rock, which makes little resource fragments appear, which you gobble up and sell for credits.

You don't squeeze 150$ Mio. out of a limited number of people in the market for a space second life fantasy by making realistic promises. You have to give them the best. No matter what other games do, be it body animation, asset quality, walking on large round balls of rock, you have to one up it.

Pity Roberts still seems to try to figure out how to make the game he's sold for all those millions already.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Precious few people are going to buy a $325 mining ship (Orion) if they're told that all it does, is pointing a laser at a rock, which makes little resource fragments appear, which you gobble up and sell for credits.

You don't squeeze 150$ Mio. out of a limited number of people in the market for a space second life fantasy by making realistic promises. You have to give them the best. No matter what other games do, be it body animation, asset quality, walking on large round balls of rock, you have to one up it.

Pity Roberts still seems to try to figure out how to make the game he's sold for all those millions already.

People pay hundreds of dollars for ships that just shoot lasers at other ships, or at least some people do. Anyone got a link to the mining design doc?

Anyone know the best thing to read or watch for a good understanding of their persistence plans?

Well I think I found my answer, thanks me.

So they're going for a single universe for all with no isolated instances? Every player can see every other player with servers dynamically adjusting the amount of volume they cover based on population density? That sounds ambitious.. and makes the comments about players queuing up for mission givers much more interesting.

Burny

People pay hundreds of dollars for ships that just shoot lasers at other ships, or at least some people do. Anyone got a link to the mining design doc?

Combat is "canonical" in a way. The targets aren't static rocks, so there's little imagination necessary to make it sound compelling. (Edit: There's also some of it already playable in their released alpha tech demo. Unlike any other of the base mechanics necessary to make the space sandbox MMO sold to backers.) Just tell a little tale how this new 350$ concept fighter punches above its weight and watch backers throw money at you.

Mining? Have a look at the design notes on mining.

And have fun imagining how everything may or may not play out in a one or five star system 150$ Mio. early access, most open development ever, only delayed because it needs to get everything right from the beginning, complete unlike other pleb early access games, ambifidelicious self labeled "Best Damn Space Game Ever" product thingy.

Frankly, I find the design notes on civilian passenger transport more amusing. AI flight attendants? Passenger health simulation and medication? Cocktail mixing? This was published in 2015 btw.. It was the point at which Star Citizen became a laughing stock for me. Back then, they didn't have a single non hostile, non scripted NPC and they don't have now. Not in their released tech demos. Just like a cargo mechanic, a mining mechanic, a bounty mechanic, an exploration mechanic, more than about a dozen players in the single game instance, persistence and game space that would even warrant these grand concepts.

My tolerance for lying to myself that there is any chance in hell of CIGs rate of progression ever speeding up in a way that their released output has even a chance to converge with their design debt is simply lower than some other people's. Disclaimer: I do of course know nothing about game development (really, I don't). :'D Edit: That's even before considering that what they propose in those design notes might simply turn out to play like shit, if they ever got it working exactly like proposed. If Elite shows anything (by negative example btw.), it's that there needs to be lots of testing, iteration and refinment in the actual game's design, before its any good. Just because it sounds complex and simulation-y on paper, doesn't mean its not going to be a shitty game design train wreck and should be send back to the drawing board. Suprise: You will only find out by having a working prototype. Now, where does Star Citizen stand with all those elaborate game design fantasies? Right. Not letting the player clip through basic geometry and killing them. The most advanced AI sumulation in gaming is the immediate logical next step. As is handily out-complexing and out-scoping half a dozen different other game series, starting with GTA and ending with civil flight sims. All just another production speedup away, now that the basic pipelines are in place. For two years or so...

Grassy

I finally got my refund through, took about 3 weeks though... I am looking forward to the game if/when it finally releases, as it stands I don't feel comfortable with them having any of my money.

Skade

they process refunds 1-2x a week.. sounds like they're dealing with a lot of people. good on them for getting the money back though.

Well, i don't see why they would not give the money back. After all, even though 45k seems a lot, they make more in a day so...

The real problem that i see is that people actually did bought completionist packages.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Well, i don't see why they would not give the money back. After all, even though 45k seems a lot, they make more in a day so...

The real problem that i see is that people actually did bought completionist packages.

From the post, it sounds like multiple people in their org pooled together to buy them (from how they talked about the biggest whales having the biggest say in the matter). That must have been a pain to manage.

Edit: apparently they work at the same place, which would help with the logistics, but getting it with a corporate card is weird.

The discussion around "here's a video of me refreshing the page so it can't possibly be fake" is interesting. People mentioned options like greasemonkey scripts and host file edits. Meh, who knows. I'll be curious to see which sites run with the story.

Edit 2:
https://np.reddit.com/r/starcitizen...to_see_whats_going_on_the_other_side/dmzb1l1/
"To clarify, it's one account.
They claim to be part of an org which pooled their funds to buy three Completionist packs.
A few problems with that:
- Completionist packs aren't a very good deal. They're only $600 less than buying components separately and most of the components are duplicates.
- Those three completionist packs were all they bought on the org account.
- As far as I can remember/source, VAT was added to purchases in January 2015. The new Completionist pack was also added in January 2015. Since the OP claims to be in the UK, any purchase after January 2015 would have VAT included in their pledge total, so there was only a very narrow window in which they could have purchased these packs.
They either have an awful treasurer and strategist for an org which can spend $45k on joint assets, or there's something fishy going on."

The screenshots provided show the three purchases were in June, October and November.
https://i.imgur.com/xaY9RKO.jpg

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/09/tired-of-waiting-star-citizen-guild-gets-a-45000-refund/

"Update: Cloud Imperium spokesperson Dave Swofford tells Ars that "a lot of the information was fabricated" in the Reddit post discussed the below. Swofford says the account in question was issued an individual refund of $330, not the $45,000 claimed in posted screenshots and videos which Swofford says do not reflect actual complaints requests logged by the company. What's more, Swofford says the refund was handled "in a timely fashion" with "no extended debate over whether we should.""

Newboi

I was curious when I saw that the only evidence Arstechnica sourced was the reddit thread itself. It's embarrassing for "news" sites to post false news. It's even worse when the false news is borderline inflammatory to the affected party, AND...even the source cited is highly suspect. Why would they post that article without getting direct confirmation, or at least a comment, from CIG first is crazy!

Anyway, I am curious if subsequent version updates will come quicker after 3.0 due to the majority of the finalized foundation for the game being implemented in 3.0?

XPE

It will be interesting to see how fast updates come out after 3.0. its been claimed that even with the delays other content is still getting work on, if thats the case 3.1 should come out quickly

Vashu

More followup from pcgamer: http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-backers-obtain-a-45000-refund/

"I've attempted to contact the Reddit poster (who said in their post that they preferred to remain anonymous) about this refund, and will update the story if I hear anything back.

Update: The redditor who made the original post has deleted their account."

What if that redditor turned out to be... You know, that one dude who's name I won't invoke because he will appear. :D

Primus

Next time I'll use my time machine to go into the future (where Star Citizen still won't be done) and make sure the story is 100% truth before posting.

The story was pretty weak and full of inconsistencies yesterday (was it 2 people? 3? kept changing as the day went on), so yeah, maybe not posting until confirmation was had would have been a better choice.

Akronis

What if that redditor turned out to be... You know, that one dude who's name I won't invoke because he will appear. :D

Take it with a grain of salt, but someone posted this:

I08DG2v.png

Could very well be fake, but knowing that part of the community, I could believe it.

atpbx

I was curious when I saw that the only evidence Arstechnica sourced was the reddit thread itself. It's embarrassing for "news" sites to post false news. It's even worse when the false news is borderline inflammatory to the affected party, AND...even the source cited is highly suspect. Why would they post that article without getting direct confirmation, or at least a comment, from CIG first is crazy!

Anyway, I am curious if subsequent version updates will come quicker after 3.0 due to the majority of the finalized foundation for the game being implemented in 3.0?

Fake refunds, no vetting of submissions, and the sub is run in conjunction with Smart himself.

A number of redditors are now petitioning to the Reddit admins to have the refunds sub closed down, as it's not legitimate it's an active attempt to defraud CIG.

Jackpot

Banned
Fake refunds, no vetting of submissions, and the sub is run in conjunction with Smart himself.

A number of redditors are now petitioning to the Reddit admins to have the refunds sub closed down, as it's not legitimate it's an active attempt to defraud CIG.

Reddit will only do something if it affects their bottom line. Hopefully CIG's lawyers can make them worry.

It helps people exercise their rights and get refunds for non delivered products. If some stories are fake, ban those users and let CIG sue them if they want.

Top Bottom