• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

Screencapped it, just because I felt like it:
clipboard02xej5e.jpg

Really beginning to like it, look forward to building the Lego model and putting next to the OT X-Wing. (such a geek)

That looks a lot like a ship called the headhunter in the xwing/tie fighter games. At least I think it was called that. But that was supposed to be a precursor to the x wing.

glaurung

clipboard02xej5e.jpg

Really beginning to like it, look forward to building the Lego model and putting next to the OT X-Wing. (such a geek)
It's beautiful. God help me, I even like the color on this thing.

Here's the original for comparison sake.

efx_xwing_open.jpg

Guy.brush

I wonder if JJ will break tradition and show a flashback even though STARWARS never has?
Luke's severed hand in space
seems to need some action context. A fight Luke vs. some villain running around on the hull in outer space could be nice.
They could finally show Luke with a breathing apparatus, like in the very first concept images of McQuarrie. Vader originally got the mask from McQuarrie because he thought Vader would hop from ship to ship and would need oxygen in space.

vader-duel-art-500x282.jpg

Btw...somewhat similar teaser poster for ROTJ with a "hand in space":
Jedi%20Poster%20smaller.jpg

OG X-Wing looks bulky as hell when you put it next to this new, slicker one. I prefer the color red to be honest, but I'm sure there are different colors for different squadrons.

I've just read on Wikia that the X-Wing squadron in Star Wars was originally blue, but that was changed when the movie crew realized that wouldn't work with blue screen for the special effects.

TheXbox

I hope the movie opens with a panning shot over a massive ship, and then it zooms out and we see that it is a mouse droid.

Aiii

So not worth it
My childhood,,, why must you trainwreck it JJ

Weird, I'm having the exact opposite reaction. Everything shown so far looks like great fan service and exactly what I expected from SW ep I through III, I was so dissapointed when everything was new and shiny and there was not a single (proper) nod to things resembling X-Wings or Tie-fighters where I could go: "Yeah, it makes sense that this thing became an X-Wing after a few decades of tinkering."

Ep 3 sort of delivered near the end, because they had to have some tie-ins for the story to make sense.

Abrams is killing it so far, if this is any indication for the end-product, at least the atmosphere of the movie will ooze OT-goodness.

Experien

JJ/Disney are smart to use old McQuarrie designs to make it seem more authentic but that rumored leak of the plot just opens horribly. Sounds like some awful fanfic.

But tbh, I wouldn't expect anything else from Abrams.

Liamario

Banned
Mos_Eisley_street.png

Look at the stormtroopers in this one from the Special Edition. Notice how they are just mirrored?
So they rhyme.
Droid and Jawas also have funky shadow angles going on.

The vfx work in the 1996 special edition is just not up to par compared to modern cgi. I wish they would take one more final go at creating a OOT+ certain fixes and improvements getting a new 4K scan, redo all the vfx compositing in 4k also - without the unnecessary crap.

Would love that. The originals just need a clean up and improvement of original effects. The addition of new scenes or complete alterations of existing is not required or wanted. Lightsabers need to be cleaned up an rotoscoped properly, for example.

Aiii

So not worth it
Don't take me seriously, I was just seeing what that sort of post felt like. It was not fulfilling at all so I'll go back to my normal hyped self.

Smart move, you can join us in our outrage and general disillusion after we see the movies and have our childhood raped, it'll be like it's 1999 all over again.

Pagusas

Elden Member

...unless your childhood is the prequel movies, this should do nothing but excite you. That looks exactly how Star Wars should. Industrial, textured and real.

Don't take it seriously, I was just seeing what that sort of post felt like. It was not fulfilling at all so I'll go back to my normal hyped self.

NVM then. But I'm watching you.

Smart move, you can join us in our outrage and general disillusion after we see the movies and have our childhood raped, it'll be like it's 1999 all over again.

Well, I liked the prequels, so I think I'll be good :p

I don't have super high standards for Star Wars when it comes to acting and dialogue as I thought a lot of the acting and dialogue was bad in the originals as well.

...unless your childhood is the prequel movies, this should do nothing but excite you. That looks exactly how Star Wars should. Industrial, textured and real.

Read up just a liiiiiitle bit ;)

spookyfish

I think the designs of the PT were the least of its problems, actually. I liked the "1950s look" to the ships and everything.

I think the designs of the PT were the least of its problems, actually. I liked the "1950s look" to the ships and everything.

Yeah, TPM had a good look, really. It's hard to tell with the other two because the photography went to shit and they half-heartedly made things start to look like the '70s in ROTS.

Pagusas

Elden Member

While I agree it was the least of its problems, there was still a huge disconnect between the old and the new that felt off putting. This however would have been easily forgivable (hell even praised later on) if the scripts had been any good.

Experien

Weird, I'm having the exact opposite reaction. Everything shown so far looks like great fan service and exactly what I expected from SW ep I through III, I was so dissapointed when everything was new and shiny and there was not a single (proper) nod to things resembling X-Wings or Tie-fighters where I could go: "Yeah, it makes sense that this thing became an X-Wing after a few decades of tinkering."

Ep 3 sort of delivered near the end, because they had to have some tie-ins for the story to make sense.

Abrams is killing it so far, if this is any indication for the end-product, at least the atmosphere of the movie will ooze OT-goodness.

Why wouldn't things be new and shiny from a powerful government? Not sure why people can't grasp this concept. And there were little nods to X-Wings cause the "good guys" were on the Imperial side. As for no nods to Tie Fighters...you must be crazy. EVERY vehicle was a nod to Imperial fleets. The Jedi Interceptors have Tie Fighter cockpits in the front. And Jedi Cruisers are Star Destroyers. AT-RTs are a small step from AT-STs. AT-OT/TE are on their way to be AT-ATs. So many nods it is crazy! Palpatine has Clone Troopers with Red armor near him they are police/personal guards...nods to his eventual Royal Guards.

Episode 3 was not good. And yes...Abrams is killing it and hopes of a good movie will be a corpse.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

I think the concept art and design work for the prequels was pretty good, even Phantom Menace still looked like Star Wars to me.

It was 2 and 3 that lost something with the shift to digital and excessive CGI, they are simply ugly to look at. The lighting is terrible and there is bad compositing in almost every shot with real actors. It just didn't feel like a real world.

Aiii

So not worth it
Why wouldn't things be new and shiny from a powerful government? Not sure why people can't grasp this concept. And there were little nods to X-Wings cause the "good guys" were on the Imperial side. As for no nods to Tie Fighters...you must be crazy. EVERY vehicle was a nod to Imperial fleets. The Jedi Interceptors have Tie Fighter cockpits in the front. And Jedi Cruisers are Star Destroyers. AT-RTs are a small step from AT-STs. AT-OT/TE are on their way to be AT-ATs. So many nods it is crazy! Palpatine has Clone Troopers with Red armor near him they are police/personal guards...nods to his eventual Royal Guards.

Episode 3 was not good. And yes...Abrams is killing it and hopes of a good movie will be a corpse.

That's the thing though, there's only two decades between Episodes 3 and 4.

So basically what happened is: everything was new and shiny in the PT and in the OT everything was run down. Okay, fair enough I can suspend my disbelief enough to accept that two decades of war has caused both sides, even the powerful Empire, to quit painting and shining all their material.

But what I can't accept is how in only two decades time EVERY vehicle was adapted and changed THAT much. I guess I should have clarified better, the vehicles in the PT should have been WAY closer to the OT than they were.

I mean, look at cars, I can clearly see the similarities in a VW Golf Mk3 (about 20 years old) compared to a current VW Golf Mk7, I was expecting an evolution like that.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

So basically what happened is: everything was new and shiny in the PT and in the OT everything was run down. Okay, fair enough I can suspend my disbelief enough to accept that two decades of war has caused both sides, even the powerful Empire, to quit painting and shining all their material.

But what I can't accept is how in only two decades time EVERY vehicle was adapted and changed THAT much. I guess I should have clarified better, the vehicles in the PT should have been WAY closer to the OT than they were.

I mean, look at cars, I can clearly see the similarities in a VW Golf Mk3 (about 20 years old) compared to a current VW Golf Mk7, I was expecting an evolution like that.

In the prequels we're spending a lot of time in the galactic capital, with politicians, Jedi etc. what we see in the prequels is the high society, of course they would have fancy ships and clean looking buildings.

But there are still grimy worlds, stuff like the pod racers hardly looked new and shiny. Padme's ship sticks out like a sore thumb on Tatooine.

Experien

Well Y-wings (featured more in Clone Wars series) is the same as Episode IV but the armor is removed.

Although it isn't a long period for change, I think it is a big move that the Republic/Imperial/Emperor wanted to distance themselves from the Jedi, hence the redesigns.

Another set video, another dig at the British weather....it's becoming as boring and as predictable as his signature lens flare effect.

Mariolee

Another set video, another dig at the British weather....it's becoming as boring and as predictable as his signature lens flare effect.

Tis probably a joke, but isn't this only his second video? If there's another one I'd love to see it. Everything looks pretty great so far.

BFIB

I really hope we get some backstory as to why the Jedi Council was even formed to assist with the Galactic Republic in the first place.

Obviously they are/were "peace keepers of the galaxy", but some insight as to why the "old religion" was embedded into the Galactic Republic always intrigues me.

CoG

Why? Because the stripe is blue? WTF?\

I'm super-excited. I am a Star Wars purist. I don't consider anything made past 1983 canon. To date myself, I've seen all three original films in the theatre. I think JJ gets it. I have a lot of faith that he'll get it right, all signs point that way so far.

Donated $100 for the cause. If I won the chance to be on set my life would be complete. I am not joking.

Tom_Cody

clipboard02xej5e.jpg

I went in for the $100 donation to get the Boba Fett t-shirt. I couldn't resist. That X-Wing (and the prior alien) just look too damn awesome.

TCRS

Banned
that thing looks so sweet... so old and battered. just the way I want it.

so I'm guessing this will be a star wars movie far away from coruscant, like the OT. that's my hope anyway.

I'm betting Han & Chewie are captaining a Star Destroyer at the beginning of this movie.

Boyega decides to defect with whoever this girl Daisy Ridley is playing.
She says she knows somebody who can figure out this lightsaber thing.
She calls someone to come pick her up.
Enter Star Destroyer
Boyega starts tripping because a Star Destroyer is the last thing you want to see if you're trying to defect from the Empire
Han Solo welcomes this girl.
This girl says "Hi dad."

Begin adventure.

I'm betting Han & Chewie are captaining a Star Destroyer at the beginning of this movie.

Boyega decides to defect with whoever this girl Daisy Ridley is playing.
She says she knows somebody who can figure out this lightsaber thing.
She calls someone to come pick her up.
Enter Star Destroyer
Boyega starts tripping because a Star Destroyer is the last thing you want to see if you're trying to defect from the Empire
Han Solo welcomes this girl.
This girl says "Hi dad."

Begin adventure.

That would do a lot of narrative heavy lifting for sure, nice idea.

Top Bottom