• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

watershed

Banned
Devin said on twitter it isnt the ESB hand.

Well, it wouldn't be. If it's a robot hand that can survive space and re-entry then it would have to be Luke's robot hand. But at this point the star wars trope of people being maimed is kind of silly.

Guy.brush

It just sounds so dumb that it has to be true.

It is a literal passing the torch, while serving as JJs "clever" way of how to do the opening shot, while rhyming with the older stuff about black gloves, severed hands etc..
I can see JJ and Kasdan sitting in a room, giggling, thinking this is a good idea.

"we can't possibly top that StarDestroyer coming in overhead opening shot, so what do we do?"
"na we can't top that you are right"
"what if we go macro, really small, we travel along side a lightsaber thinking its a spaceship"
"brilliant!"
"this is gonna be great!"
"its gonna be great!"

GpJkN6m.jpg

Nether!

No one is going to be happy no matter what they do.
I'm just hoping it's a decent movie, and excited to see Luke again (even if it is just a hand).

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I think that intro is kind of neat

the only thing that kind of sucks is we'd be likely stuck with a "will of the force" type of reasoning for how his hand lands where it does... or maybe he loses his hand shortly after the events of episode 6 as part of the remaining empire backlash (and what causes luke to go into hiding) and it fell to said desert planet and there's a notable gap in time and discovery. Like... someone else discovers and eventually makes it's way into the rightful hands.

The lightsabre and hand may be able to survive atmospheric entry due to materials used... luke did get a direct blaster hit on the hand and it seemed it didn't mess up the functionality too much.

CD'S BAR

true or not i like the outline. seems like a solid story with good character arcs potential. i think it'd be cool if the hand were obviously not luke's. like he lost his saber or it got stolen or who knows!

It just sounds so dumb that it has to be true.

It is a literal passing the torch, while serving as JJs "clever" way of how to do the opening shot, while rhyming with the older stuff about black gloves, severed hands etc..
I can see JJ and Kasdan sitting in a room, giggling, thinking this is a good idea.

"we can't possibly top that StarDestroyer coming in overhead opening shot, so what do we do?"
"na we can't top that you are right"
"what if we go macro, really small, we travel along side a lightsaber thinking its a spaceship"
"brilliant!"
"its gonna be great!"

What if it was Lucas' idea?

Things that make no god damn sense:

Jedi Hunters: How many Jedi could have possibly survived the Empire's purge? The entire god damn Clone Wars cartoon is basically about their slow eradication and Palpatine's consolidation of power. Even if some of them survived, are you seriously telling me that any Jedi Order aligned Jedi wouldn't have immediately joined the Rebels and helped bring down the Empire?

Maybe Ashoka wouldn't have given a shit or something, but who else?

Furthermore, how in the fuck are they going to bring back the Sith? Also, the species, or the cult? If it's the species, then there's no reason for them to set their plans in motion now, instead of 20, 200, or 2,000 years ago. If it's the force cult, then how exactly do they plan to do that? Capture one of like three Jedi in the entire galaxy and try to lure them to the dark side? Capture force sensitive kids?

On the Empire still being around in full force: Do people forget how much shit the Empire lost during the Battle of Endor? Let me remind you:

Emperor Palpatine/Darth Sidious
Darth Vader
Grand Admiral Nial Declann
Moff Tiaan Jerjerrod
Fleet Admiral Firmus Piett
Captain Sarkli
Colonel Dyer
IG-88A
At least 4 AT-STs
Death Star II
Almost everyone aboard the Death Star II
Star Dreadnought Executor
Main communications ship
6 Imperial-class Star Destroyers were destroyed
Devastator
Vehement
3+ Imperial-class Star Destroyers captured
Accuser
Adjudicator
2+ Imperial-class Star Destroyers were damaged
Eleemosynary

The entire "priest" caste of the Empire was wiped out in a single battle, along with the first, and second in command, plus many senior naval officers. On top of this, rebellions erupted in multiple star systems across major planets.

You're telling me that the rebellion wasn't able to capitalize off of this victory to at the very least splinter the remaining military might of the Empire (hence the Imperial Remanent in the EU, which made tons of sense.)?

On Luke going into Hermit Mode: Why? The battle clearly wasn't over, he became a symbol of hope, and with Sidious and Vader dead, he also became the most powerful humanoid known to exist in the Universe in the span of a few hours. So he goes off and sits in a hut? Please.

You want to make these rumors make a modicum of sense?

Take Kir Kanos, and make the first movie about him hunting Luke, and that's why Luke is hiding.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kir_Kanos

Stop trying to rationalize everything with the EU.

The war was over at the end of Jedi.

And perhaps reasons for him to not be around for 30 years would, I dunno, be addressed in the movie?

Stop trying to rationalize everything with the EU.

The war was over at the end of Jedi.

I'm going purely off of logical next steps at the end of the movie, without considering the EU.

The war couldn't have possibly been over as soon as the Emperor was killed. Look at history: Hitler's suicide didn't end World War II the following day, Iraq wasn't over when we took Baghdad, etc.

I'm only tapping the EU to propose a potential storyline, and it doesn't even need to be about that guy specifically. A member of the Imperial Royal Guard would just be a very good candidate for starting this whole "Jedi Hunter" nonsense in a more reasonable fashion.

I'm going purely off of logical next steps at the end of the movie, without considering the EU.

The war couldn't have possibly been over as soon as the Emperor was killed. Look at history: Hitler's suicide didn't end World War II the following day, Iraq wasn't over when we took Baghdad, etc.

Star Wars is a fairy tale, not a historical drama.

Star Wars is a fairy tale, not a historical drama.

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize that it was limited to one broad sweeping genre of fiction.

I'm sure it in no way contains aspects of military, political or historical drama through allegory and allusion.

Not to mention that all you really need is half a brain and logic to deduce that in all likelihood the war didn't just come to a complete halt following one battle.

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize that it was limited to one broad sweeping genre of fiction.

I'm sure it in no way contains aspects of military, political or historical drama through allegory and allusion.

It's my way of saying you're over thinking it because you want it to be more than it is, especially when it comes to the original trilogy. They beat the bad guys at the end.

This sounds like really bad fanfiction.

Because it sort of is in my opinion.

Look at my post from WEEKS ago.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116983349&postcount=173

"Elsewhere, Shindor, the leader of the Dark Jedi, is elated to learn that some of the Jedi holocrons have successfully been taken from the Jedi. Shindor is currently at the Dark Jedi's cloning facility, which is located on a planet nearby Coruscant. Shindor is using this facility to make clones of Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker. The Dark Jedi plan to fulfill Darth Vader's prophecy that he and Luke should rule the galaxy as father and son and bring peace and order to the galaxy. The Dark Jedi are using Imperial DNA samples of Vader to produce a clone of the Dark Lord of the Sith and are using DNA samples from Luke's severed hand to produce a clone of the venerable Jedi Master. Skywalker's severed hand is currently owned by one of the chief Dark Jedi named, Spiden."

It's my way of saying you're over thinking it because you want it to be more than it is, especially when it comes to the original trilogy. They beat the bad guys at the end.

Yes, and now they're continuing the story which means the ending wasn't actually the end, and there need to be new bad guys to defeat. Following that necessity, there are logical explanations for how and why those bad guys are still around, which is what I proposed in response to the current set of rumors.

And perhaps reasons for him to not be around for 30 years would, I dunno, be addressed in the movie?

People are just mad about the EU and are going to write off everything as fanfiction even though the majority of the content of the EU came off like the most fanfictiony bullshit out there. I don't think there is a screenwriter alive that could write scripts for 7-9 that wouldn't result in people whining about it sounding like fanfiction.

There are problems with the prequels, but this just goes to show that even if the prequels were technically way better than they were, people would still throw everything under a microscope and scrutinize the hell out of it.

Yes, and now they're continuing the story which means the ending wasn't actually the end, and there need to be new bad guys to defeat. Following that necessity, there are logical explanations for how and why those bad guys are still around, which is what I proposed in response to the current set of rumors.

Your response is based on incomplete, vague snippets of information, and you're just setting yourself up for disappointment when it turns out that the complete picture isn't what you imagined it to be and have already decided is superior. Who are you offering these theories to? Abrams certainly isn't here.

This is why I tend to stay out of these discussions. People try to propose solutions for issues that aren't even there yet. I'd rather just wait and see what the filmmakers have to offer.

I am JJ Abrams

watershed

Banned
Even though I'm not big on this possible synopsis, any brief plot outline is going to sound like fanfiction. It's just that there has been so much EU stuff and fanficton and obvious arcs and tropes in the star wars universe, any new movie is bound to play with some of those same ideas. It doesn't matter how the story reads in one or two paragraphs, it's all in the execution.

Your response is based on incomplete, vague snippets of information, and you're just setting yourself up for disappointment when it turns out that the complete picture isn't what you imagined it to be and have already decided is superior. Who are you offering these theories to? Abrams certainly isn't here.

This is why I tend to stay out of these discussions. People try to propose solutions for issues that aren't even there yet. I'd rather just wait and see what the filmmakers have to offer.

I am JJ Abrams

I'm discussing it, per the purpose of this website. Setting myself up for disappointment? I go in expecting nothing these days, and anything that somehow manages to fall into the realm of good is a pleasant surprise that way. I'm, again, commenting on the rumors so far, and why I don't think they make much sense, and how I would course-correct them to make more sense.

I know my feelings and thoughts won't have any weight on the outcome of the film, but I'm submitting my views on the rumors, per the thread's purpose. Unless you actually are JJ Abrams in which case: 1) MI3 was surprisingly good. 2) Stop being friends with shit writers and giving them jobs 3) What the fuck was Super 8? Why didn't you just ask Spielberg if you could suck his dick instead? and 4) Hire me to write for VII, or just hire me in general.

I'm guessing we'll find out that Luke ran off years ago with C3PO and R2 in tow. That's probably what they've been up to all these years.

MisterHero

It would be sad for the characters to not have known peace for the last 30 years, only for them to reach a "logical" conclusion of dying in this new trilogy.

That said, Luke's severed hand flying through space is both stupid and awesome at the same time. I hope it's real.

Sounds fine to me. I don't see the big deal.

It sounds stupid. Seriously, a solar system destroying weapon? I bet Lucas came up with that shit. It's just about all he knows how to do, make shit bigger than it was in the previous movie. Vader had one blade, but Maul had two! Then, Grievous had four! Holy shit, it's so awesome!

Crash landing hand with saber is a pretty lame jumping off point, but at least that's all it is and we'll move right along plot-wise. Doesn't fill me with confidence in the writers that that's the best they could come up with for a reason to start the adventure, though. Why not just start the movie with Han and Chewie searching for Luke already and they stumble on the two new main characters? Far less lame.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Man, what a weird pile of ideas.

What I do like is the continuation of the aborted idea from Jedi that Luke was meant to drift off alone after the victory, like Eastwood in the spaghetti westerns. So if the ridiculousness of his severed robot hand twirling down to Tatooine is actually true, I'm guessing the reason it happened resulted from a recent occurrence instead of anywhere close to Jedi.

Boyega being a stormtrooper is an interesting idea, but weren't they supposed to be Fett clones? I'm just confused as to why finding a lightsaber leads these kids to Han Solo...I guess they heard stories from him about the Luke?

sphagnum

Banned
I don't know if it was Lucas who said it but the EU had stated that the Stormtroopers were a mix of clones - and not all Jango clones, at that - and regular recruits as Jango's DNA started to wear out. By the OT it was mostly recruits. This is the goofy explanation also for why the Clonetroopers are all awesome and the Stormtroopers all suck. It seems that this is something they'll be holding on to from the old EU.

Also I totally missed the news that Temuera Morrison is back for the Boba Fett movie, so I'm happy about that.

edit: It would be really interesting if they keep the EU's notion of Han being an ex-Imperial recruit who bailed after he met Chewie. Could have some interesting interactions with Boyega and it would make a great setup for a young Han movie.

MisterHero

I believe Lucas has always said that the Troopers weren't all clones by the time the Original Trilogy came around.
Yep, and the clones were the most experienced troopers around, so they were stationed on the Death Star. Naturally, they got blown up. Some clones made it to the Battle of Endor but they were the minority by then.

Blader

It sounds stupid. Seriously, a solar system destroying weapon? I bet Lucas came up with that shit. It's just about all he knows how to do, make shit bigger than it was in the previous movie. Vader had one blade, but Maul had two! Then, Grievous had four! Holy shit, it's so awesome!

That was a thing in an EU book, though who knows if JJ is deliberately taking the idea or coincidentally came up with the same up-the-ante superweapon.

Ravek

Banned
This thread is gold.

Its been a while since I've seen such passion on GAF (non-gaming side).

I feel as if all these rumors are wildly huge. Wouldn't J.J. make this a more personal, all in the family sort of affair?

Solar System destroying weapon sounds a bit much, even for S.W..

sphagnum

Banned
It sounds like some Imperials totally misunderstood Vader.

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force."
"Alright guys, guess that means we have to blow up the whole solar system."

MisterHero

It sounds like some Imperials totally misunderstood Vader.

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force."
"Alright guys, guess that means we have to blow up the whole solar system."
What would happen if a Death Star shot a star? Not powerful enough?

Top Bottom