• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

If I was a bored youth living on a dirt rock of a planet I probably wouldn't be rushing to return valuable (and potentially fun) lost property.

I don't think Boyega's a "bored" youth in this movie

and yeah, to support Cheebo's assertion: Faraci hasn't ever gotten anything on Star Wars wrong.

Tookay

I guess we'll see how it plays out, but that sounds silly as shit.

And before someone quotes me and responds "IT'S STAR WARS DUDE," it's silly even for that.

Also another fucking
superweapon?
The prequels had the good sense to stop that shit.

I feel like Abrams' storytelling sensibilities are not where I want them to be.

Imagine the standard Star Wars crawl, and when it ends the camera pans up to the stars. But instead of a spaceship zooming into frame we see... a hand! A severed hand, tumbling through space. A severed hand gripping a light saber.

Sounds like they're remaking the opening to
Star Trek Generations, only instead of a champagne bottle tumbling through space, it's a hand.

I mean, I guess you could just shout "Drop it!" really loudly and see if it surprises em, but otherwise yeah, you're probably going to have to cut the sword out of their hand somehow :)

Also - The Empire Strikes Back starts with a star destroyer FIRING a droid at the surface of Hoth. And a Lightsaber's casing should be pretty strong, being that it's got to contain an energy source strong enough to power a blade of plasma that can cut through anything.
So I guess it's a matter of believing whether or not Luke's robot hand is made of a strong enough metal to survive re-entry.

Which is a shrug, I guess. I mean - It's Star Wars. Scientific accuracy isn't much in those movies.

The question is whether
the shot of a robotic skeletal hand clutching a lightsaber, sticking out of the sand for John Boyega to discover
is cool enough to justify all that .

I don't think Boyega's a "bored" youth in this movie

and yeah, to support Cheebo's assertion: Faraci hasn't ever gotten anything on Star Wars wrong.

He might be. It seems to be a theme with the Tatooine based protagonists like Luke and Anakin. Adventurous or Restless would apply too.

Either way I'm curious to see why he's attempting to change his direction in life.

LastNac

That's sounds terrible. Seriously terrible.

I don't buy the notion that
Han hasn't seen Luke in 30 years at all.
Seriously stupid.

Hope this is fake.

Maybe they'll replace the traditional opening scrawl with a montage showing all the wacky hijinks Luke's hand gets into that get it from being chopped off to its final destination on the planet. I'm thinking from the point of view of the hand like the bullet intro to Lord of War

He might be. It seems to be a theme with the Tatooine based protagonists like Luke and Anakin. Adventurous or Restless would apply too.

Either way I'm curious to see why he's attempting to change his direction in life.

I believe the rumor is that

he's a stormtrooper, or whatever's left of the stormtroopers, and he's starting to seriously question the decisions he's made in his life to this point.

Kerned

Banned
Everything about those spoilers sounds terrible. Like an embarrassing level of terrible.

It wouldn't be Luke's robot hand. He has a robot hand because his hand got cut off. He never lost his robot hand. If he lost it between trilogies, how did it happen? What could have possibly cut his hand off after the defeat of the empire? I hate this movie already.

Interesting in the ways most people seem to be dismissing this rumor

The consensus seems to be that It HAS to be the ESB hand because that's the only one we've seen get cut-off onscreen. We never saw the ROTJ hand get cut off... so therefore it never happened, and could never have happened - even though we KNOW this movie takes place after a 30 year gap. 30 years is a lot of time for things that we've never heard about to happen.

Here's the thing: A gloved, robotic hand clutching a lightsaber sticking out of the sand (and tumbling through space) is a decent piece of imagery. And if it IS his ROTJ hand (and it likely will be, due to the fact I doubt a Star Wars movie is going to begin with a hunk of frozen meat and bone with a cauterized stump sticking out of it) then that hand provides three basic questions to help propel the plot forward

1) Where the hell is Luke
2) How did his hand come off
3) Who is behind this?

People are acting like the audience not knowing the answer to these questions right off is somehow bad drama. I don't get why that is. It seems to me starting the movie off with those questions and following our heroes as they try to answer them is a pretty decent way to move the plot forward.

Cheebo

Banned
I am beyond confused that people are calling this fake. It's DEVIN FARACI for crying out loud. He doesn't stick his neck on the line for spoilers unless he is 100% positive it is real. This isn't Latino Review.

pringles

Sounds like a great set-up for the trilogy to get going imo. It's ANH-ish but not too close to it.

Don't like the
solar system destroying weapon
but it's better than a dispute over the taxation of trade routes.

I like the idea that the Empire is still around, but the timeline seems all kinds of messed up. The Republic disappeared in what, a single night? Yet the Empire goes on for 30 years after the Emperor's death. That's longer than his reign even lasted. Between this and things like the first Death Star taking 17 years to be completed yet the second one being functional in like one year, it's messed up. And those Jedi Hunters seem very ineffective at their job compared to the Clone Troopers.

jstripes

Banned
I like the idea that the Empire is still around, but the timeline seems all kinds of messed up. The Republic disappeared in what, a single night? Yet the Empire goes on for 30 years after the Emperor's death. That's longer than his reign even lasted. Between this and things like the first Death Star taking 17 years to be completed yet the second one being functional in like one year, it's messed up. And those Jedi Hunters seem very ineffective at their job compared to the Clone Troopers.

The Republic disappearing overnight wasn't a result of hostile takeover, but a result of plans that had been in the works for a while. The Republic voluntarily changed into the Empire.

Thinking the Empire is going to disappear overnight without the Emperor is like thinking Iraq's gonna be all fine and dandy once we get rid of Saddam.

Oh, wait.

Tookay

The idea that
the empire recovered his hand and used it to clone him
is much cooler but may be too close to the EU for them

That was fucking terrible the first time the EU did it.

People are acting like the audience not knowing the answer to these questions right off is somehow bad drama. I don't get why that is. It seems to me starting the movie off with those questions and following our heroes as they try to answer them is a pretty decent way to move the plot forward.

Oh it's totally a JJ thing to do; problem is, I don't like the implications behind most of the questions it raises.

Like Luke running off for 30 years and Han never seeing him.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Sounds awful. Sounds like a shitty remix of ideas from the Thrawn trilogy and the Jedi Academy trilogy.

Nicktendo86

Is now one commenting that according to this
Han isn't flying around in the millennium falcon
even though we have seen spy shots of it being constructed? For that alone I am calling fake.

Luke should just get his name and address etched onto the back of all his hands and lightsabers since he's so shitty at keeping them

Is now one commenting that according to this
Han isn't flying around in the millennium falcon
even though we have seen spy shots of it being constructed? For that alone I am calling fake.

Han will be an admiral commanding one of those huge fuck off ships, Falcon will be in a "space museum" for all the roles it played in the revolutions. Han and Chewie bust it out for one last ride into the sun mission

Thinking the Empire is going to disappear overnight without the Emperor is like thinking Iraq's gonna be all fine and dandy once we get rid of Saddam.

Oh, wait.

But Saddam's Baathist Iraq does officially no longer exist while a Republic of Iraq has been declared. These rumors claim there is no New Republic at all. Surely after 30 years the Rebels should have freed one or two planets at the very least. It's a wide galaxy.

Maybe it got severed by the Falcon's door.

3749-i-see-what-you-did-there-no-text.png

Ahh

Porcile

That opening shot sounds the dumbest shit ever. JJ's not the best but he's not that terrible, my god. I'm not even going to spoiler tag it because a hand floating through space as the opening shot in a Star Wars film is so dumb it cant be real.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Lukes hand
wasn't cut off in space, it was cut off in Cloud city above Bespin. So if it fell downwards wouldn't it just be, you know, lying somewhere on Bespin?
Bespin is like Saturn or Jupiter, there is no surface.

And guys, you really trust a leaked spoiler, which claims that Han and Chewie dont fly the Milenium Falcon?

110% fake.

Guy.brush

Jeezus.
The hand business gave me NEMESIS flashbacks.

"Hey we detected Data's arm from across the galaxy. Let's go check it out with our Quadbikes while we trample on the Prime Directive"

Sounds pretty terrible tbh. And how can a hand survive the fall from space towards a planet? It would be less than ashes by the time it hit ground.

Shouldn't Luke have to hunt down all his weapons after he loses them? Like Bunks service weapon in the Wire? Some kid could find that shit man.

Top Bottom