• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

The Hermit

But instead of a spaceship zooming into frame we see... a hand! A severed hand, tumbling through space. A severed hand gripping a light saber.

That hand falls onto a desert planet, where it is discovered by characters who will be our heroes. One is Daisy Ridley. The other is John Boyega, who is playing someone trying to change his path in life (again, I'm keeping it vague here). They recognize the light saber as a Jedi relic and decide to return it to the proper people.

handy spoilers

nxkih3.jpgome7f.gif

Branduil

A solar system-destroying weapon is dumb for a number of reasons. Besides the possible side-effects of basically creating a supernova, it's also far more destructive power than you would actually need. It's far more useful to blow up individual rebellious planets than to blow up everything in an entire solar system.

Tookay

An example of why people are going to hate on this movie no matter what. Just rumors alone get people bitching.

I disagree; in fact, I really dislike this sort of overly-defensive, dismissive reaction to people's concerns.

Maybe people are reacting to these set of rumors negatively because their story implications actually suck. And if they were good, the reactions would be different.

For example, there were some earlier rumors and speculation that I liked quite a bit.

But these bother me on a number of levels, from sort of being "wtf" with Luke's character to the eye-rolling fan-service stuff this movie is now obligated to have (superweapon, hand-severing, presumed "Falcon gets busted out of storage fuck yeah fist pump" moment).

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
You gotta hand in to the writers, that would be pretty crazy way to start a new SW movie.

Abounder

Banned
A solar system-destroying weapon is dumb for a number of reasons. Besides the possible side-effects of basically creating a supernova, it's also far more destructive power than you would actually need. It's far more useful to blow up individual rebellious planets than to blow up everything in an entire solar system.

To me it's like the WMD version of punishing all the students in a classroom because of one problem child: the real power is having the planets keep their system in check instead of having to allocate outside resources to punish

maharg

idspispopd

This is no less true for destroying a planet, which is a colossally stupid way to cow a population, or even destroy it. Just nuke it from orbit and you'll use a lot less energy for the same effect without also making it so that you've wrecked a shipping lane or thrown a whole other planet out of orbit.

The Death Star was never about being practical.

Rootbeer

Banned
If nobody has seen Luke in 30 years then it really puts new context to the last few scenes in Jedi. Holding your father in your arms as he is redeemed and then dies. Burning his body. Seeing the force ghosts... in the last scene in particular while there is a sense of relief from Luke he perhaps comes off as a little distant... his journey was very different from Leia's and it's left him worse off both physically and mentally.

I guess the main problem I have with Luke leaving for all this time is that he never gets to train Leia in the force, even though it's strongly implied that she is a force user in the original trilogy. Ahem... excuse me, I mean... she has a high Midi-chlorian count

Liamario

Banned
An example of why people are going to hate on this movie no matter what. Just rumors alone get people bitching.

There's nothing that they could do regarding this movie that would appease the Abrams haters. He's a great director and him and his team managed to resurrect star trek, whether you like it or not. The best thing for this movie is to take everything the fanboys say with a massive slab of salt.

I don't know if the plot summary is accurate, but I'm willing to give JJ the benefit of the doubt; he has earned it in most people's books.

There's nothing that they could do regarding this movie that would appease the Abrams haters. He's a great director and him and his team managed to resurrect star trek, whether you like it or not. The best thing for this movie is to take everything the fanboys say with a massive slab of salt.

I don't know if the plot summary is accurate, but I'm willing to give JJ the benefit of the doubt; he has earned it in most people's books.

+1

I have not heard one single thing about the new movies that made me go "damn, what a shit.."

Everything herad so far sounds star warsy to me. (compared to trade taxation, harsh sand on your skin and battles with millions of light sabers anyway)

Herne

Sun-destroying weapon?

Sun_Crusher.jpg

And all we need to make these really stupid sounding rumours complete is confirmation that Daala has been cast. Then we'll know just how much they intend to fuck us by.

I actually LOVE the visual image of the robot hand floating above the crawl. Its the "we found it in the dessert and want to return it to its owner!" that kind of makes me grimace. And the solar system destroying weapon...

This is dismissive bullshit. I have no problem with Abrams. Liked the Trek movies enough, and absolutely loved Super 8. Was pleased when he was announced as director. These ideas sound pretty fucking lame.

Liamario

Banned
This is dismissive bullshit. I have no problem with Abrams. Liked the Trek movies enough, and absolutely loved Super 8. Was pleased when he was announced as director. These ideas sound pretty fucking lame.

I'm not referring to this rumoured plot line, especially when it's still very vague and is only a rumour at this point. My issue is with the people who bitch and moan at every single thing and appear to be hoping or praying for the movie to be bad.

So back in the day I used to be a member of T.F.N (Theforce.net). Specifically around the time of the prequels. And as you can imagine spoiler rumours dominated that board. 95% of them were bullshit. The spoilers only became accurate far, far closer to release normally due to the leaking of books, comics, magazines, soundtrack notes and action figures. So I'd take any spoilers right now with a huge pinch of salt.

Case in point, remember Yodafart?

Hindle

Banned
I think it's smart they're keeping the story simple this time, the Prequels tried to be too smart, and ended up confusing everything. Better to start with the basics and they add depth from there.

Edit. Assuming the rumours are true.

IHaveIce

Banned
It always came off stupid to me to assume the empire was completely beaten.
I mean there would be left hands of Sidious or why wouldn't Sidious clone himself or recruit in secret a new Sith like he always has.

Tons of soldiers and Stardestroyers also wouldn't just say "fuck it now we are rebels aswell"

There are other generals and other high ranking peiple at coruscant probably. So what.

It nakes sense that the empire is still strong.

i laughed so hard when jar jar screamed 'weeesa free' in return of the jedi's newest release.

the character is too old to exist in the film and also it's obvious george threw it in to fuck with the fanboys

Aiii

So not worth it
i laughed so hard when jar jar screamed 'weeesa free' in return of the jedi's newest release.

the character is too old to exist in the film and also it's obvious george threw it in to fuck with the fanboys

To be fair, this isn't necessarily true. His race could very well live to be 500.

monome

IF Luke has indeed been MIA for 30 years, then Disney is sitting on a treasure trove of Skywalker action. it's smart.

Nicktendo86

I actually LOVE the visual image of the robot hand floating above the crawl. Its the "we found it in the dessert and want to return it to its owner!" that kind of makes me grimace. And the solar system destroying weapon...

I have an image of it slowly spinning in space, clasping onto the lightsaber as it slowly reaches the planet. As it enters the atmosphere it speeds up and the glove/fake flesh start to burn away, revealing the robotic hand underneath with the blaster scorch mark from RotJ still visible. In my mind the shot could look really cool.

LastNac

People are just mad about the EU and are going to write off everything as fanfiction even though the majority of the content of the EU came off like the most fanfictiony bullshit out there. I don't think there is a screenwriter alive that could write scripts for 7-9 that wouldn't result in people whining about it sounding like fanfiction.

There are problems with the prequels, but this just goes to show that even if the prequels were technically way better than they were, people would still throw everything under a microscope and scrutinize the hell out of it.
See, this is fallacy. People always throw out such a blanket comment that has no base to it. It's usually a comment made by those who arent very familar with the EU to begin with. Truth is, there is more good/great EU than there is terrible. A lot more actually.

And honestly, their are dozens of post ROTH EU stories that dont sound ridiculous and derivative.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It sounds stupid. Seriously, a solar system destroying weapon? I bet Lucas came up with that shit. It's just about all he knows how to do, make shit bigger than it was in the previous movie. Vader had one blade, but Maul had two! Then, Grievous had four! Holy shit, it's so awesome!

Crash landing hand with saber is a pretty lame jumping off point, but at least that's all it is and we'll move right along plot-wise. Doesn't fill me with confidence in the writers that that's the best they could come up with for a reason to start the adventure, though. Why not just start the movie with Han and Chewie searching for Luke already and they stumble on the two new main characters? Far less lame.
The entire Star Wars universe, including the old EU, is lousy with people trying to one-up themselves with super weapons. A weapon that can destroy solar systems is nothing new :/

Wait, what? The prequels and sequels are only separated by a couple of decades. Was Jar-Jar afflicted with some terminal disease I'm unaware of that would make it impossible for him to live to the end of RotJ?

Wouldn't the falling hand
be the one Luke lost during his fight with Vader in Empire, and not a robotic one at all? Unless they're implying he lost his hand again
or I'm just missing something?

Guy.brush

Mos_Eisley_street.png

Look at the stormtroopers in this one from the Special Edition. Notice how they are just mirrored?
So they rhyme.
Droid and Jawas also have funky shadow angles going on.

The vfx work in the 1996 special edition is just not up to par compared to modern cgi. I wish they would take one more final go at creating a OOT+ certain fixes and improvements getting a new 4K scan, redo all the vfx compositing in 4k also - without the unnecessary crap.

Sapiens

well it is cg from almost 20 yrs ago.

Doesn't matter. It is poor artistry. Plain and simple. Whoever did that work simply did not care (and for obvious reasons, knowing what we know about Lucas, I bet).

When George Lucas said he could have used a PS2 to do his 90s special effects work, he wasn't kidding.

Aiii

So not worth it
Screencapped it, just because I felt like it:
clipboard02xej5e.jpg

Really beginning to like it, look forward to building the Lego model and putting next to the OT X-Wing. (such a geek)

Top Bottom