• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws Main Character Already Hit With Criticism Due to Ubisoft Changing Actress Apperance

S0ULZB0URNE

Kay Vess is played by Humberly González, a Venezuelan actress. The altering of the apperance of the model is already causing heavily criticism:

eZXlHzf.png

I'm getting Stephen King Sleep Walker vibes.

Mr.Phoenix

Am I missing something here?

I can get when dealing with a character that is not based on any real-world model, but in these situations where the character is based on a real-world model... why do they deliberately nerf the model's appearance?

I mean, I think this goes both ways, I believe if using models, it's wrong to make the characters prettier than they are in real life, the same way it is wrong to make them uglier than they are in real life.

I really can't wrap my head around why this keeps happening.

GymWolf

The overuse of the word 'literally' by people makes me laugh. "Literally a broom" - would mean she was actually a broom, which she clearly isn't. Anyway, looks fine to me and the actress they used was probably a starting point. You lot are really odd when it comes to female representation.
That is literally the whole point buddy, they picked a great looking gal and made her uglier to please all the people who have an heart attack when they see someone attractive.

And this never fucking happen with male models.

But yeah we are the odd ones...

Tbf, this is not the worst uglyfication we had in triple A gaming, she at least still look like a girl with a feminine haircut but people are fucking done with this shit, if nobody speak about this, they are gonna continue with this trend.

I believe if using models, it's wrong to make the characters prettier than they are in real life
Make up and photoshop certainly dislike your attitute. lol

I guess the distorted actually unattainable self perception of models is probably driven by them never being their real self in almost all of their work- with time working against them every day. I would not be surprised if Humberly González does not really look like in the pic from OP in 100% natural pics, still maybe not the same as her game persona, which does not even look really terrible imho, just not like her, but some models without their masks and touch ups become almost unrecognisable.

Last edited:

Zheph

That is literally the whole point buddy, they picked a great looking gal and made her uglier to please all the people who have an heart attack when they see someone attractive.

And this never fucking happen with male models.

But yeah we are the odd ones...

Tbf, this is not the worst uglyfication we had in triple A gaming, she at least still look like a girl with a feminine haircut but people are fucking done with this shit, if nobody speak about this, they are gonna continue with this trend.
Will you be outraged in the thread but still play it like with DD2?

GymWolf

Will you be outraged in the thread but still play it like with DD2?
Will you still act like a disgrunted child if i touch your favourite game of the moment again?

You know people can still play games even if they find flaws in them right? You can act like the game is perfect because you paid money for it all you want dude, i can have fun and be critical with any game i play because again, i'm not a child, i can have fun with deeply flawed game :messenger_kissing_smiling:

Last edited:

Zheph

Will you still act like a disgrunted child if i touch your favourite game of the moment again?

You know people can still play games even if they find flaws in them right? You can act like the game is perfect because you paid money for it all you want dude :messenger_kissing_smiling:
Definitely not my fav, it was just disproportionate criticisms for useless mtx as mentioned by many.

You disgressing anyway. You do what you want ofc

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
If the characters have to look like their voice actors, then there are going to struggle finding people to voice all the non humanoids. I just assume sometimes characters are designed first and then actors are hired who can portray the voice needed 🤷‍♂️ I can't pretend to be offended either way with what characters look like.

GymWolf

Definitely not my fav, it was just disproportionate criticisms for useless mtx as mentioned by many.

You disgressing anyway. You do what you want ofc
I was a bit too harsh for the mtx thing (but hardly out of line), but that one is like the smallest problem i have with the game tbh :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

CGNoire

Holy hyperbole.

The game stand out because it was released in a period where we got fucking yetis instead of good looking female characters.

Old games had plenty of good looking women, just less realistic because the rendering was not as advanced.
Guilty. Prettiest isnt the right word probably. I should have been more specific. Lets just say they are casted exactly the way hollywood used to cast.
Im also very bias since i really like the old school aesthetic. Maybe you are right. Ever since ps4 dropped we havent really had too many games aside from Capcom that used modern character tech to showcase classical beauty and now theres a whole city of them.

Last edited:
This was done at the request of the head IGN france editor who warned UBI that this hot real life actress when accurately represented in a game may cause female gamers to comit suicide due to not being able to live up to the expectations of digital pixels. REEEEE also came in and confirmed this as factual evidence.

or something.

Oh well - it's an ubi game (which are usually shit these days). This will help people finalize their decisions to skip this game.
Confirmed. I killed meself because I was threatened by Arthur Morgan.

geary

Depends. Are the developers using the voice actor as a starting point for the visual design? Because here they are.
If they are using it as a starting point, they does not have to look like the actor at the end.
If they want 1:1 representation as in Death Stranding, then yeah, everyone should be outraged.

I think here is the usual case of faux outrage for clicks and engagement on social media.

FunkMiller

Not just transgender - this is also a major feminist/woke cause. The idea being that beautiful women in media do damage to real women because they are unrealistic and make women feel bad about themselves. Or that that beauty is purely there for males to gaze upon, and is therefor sexist. Those are the two main reasons: to not cater to a perceived male audience, and to make some sort of feminist statement. That's why you don't see it in Japan - they don't buy into that ideology. It's really pretty simple to unpack what's going on here. Good luck to all the suckers who still deny this.

I kinda disagree with this, only because these character models aren't really 'ugly' women. They're androgenous. They're designed to look more masculine, because the people making them are men who want to be women. That's the 'modern' ideology. That's why they'll take attractive female actors and make them look more masculine. If it was a feminist thing, they wouldn't bother to even hire the pretty actress to begin with. They'd go with an actual plainer, more 'normal' looking, or 'uglier' woman.

Feminism has been around for many, many years. But we've never had this kind of masculinisation of female characters before, and the reasons for it are quite obvious.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Am I missing something here?

I can get when dealing with a character that is not based on any real-world model, but in these situations where the character is based on a real-world model... why do they deliberately nerf the model's appearance?

I mean, I think this goes both ways, I believe if using models, it's wrong to make the characters prettier than they are in real life, the same way it is wrong to make them uglier than they are in real life.

I really can't wrap my head around why this keeps happening.
This is my complete conspiracy with 0 facts or inside knowledge.

But something makes me think it's that all these games probably start with male characters from the devs before the consultants get involved then at some point they now need to map this woman and her armature to original brobeans character.

Kind of like how John Marsden was mapped to Arthur Morgan and the character looked different to the rdr1 model.

Either way it's these consulting firms doing something dodgy.

If they are using it as a starting point, they does not have to look like the actor at the end.
If they want 1:1 representation as in Death Stranding, then yeah, everyone should be outraged.

I think here is the usual case of faux outrage for clicks and engagement on social media.

Wait, you don't find this pervasive attempted erasure of 'beauty' and 'femininity' under the guise of 'inclusivity' as a problem? The constant need to masculinise attractive female characters, industry wide, to appease a market, a demographic that doesn't exist is an issue that should be called out.

darrylgorn

I haven't been following this game but didn't she (the character) already look like this when the game was announced? Or is this a recent change?

TheStam

I'm ok with the mediocre character models, but I have zero interest in this at this point. Just looks uninteresting like the recent Star Wars films so I will probably not get the game unless it's a huge surprise or something.

The lip sync looked more jarring than the models.

Last edited:

freemandos

Neo Member
If they are SO obssesed to please everyone...why...don't let the players built their character? Every person can put the face he/she want and even combat strengths. Btw, that's another problem...it's an action game and the weakest part seems to be...the action. For a female Han Solo simulator the gunplay looks worse than the first Dark Forces of the 90s, and of course it's clear you can't be a Boba Fett/Cad Bane type with cool features like jetpacks, flamethrowers, mobility and more. And yeah, the character design speaks for itself. Yey..."same" as Han Solo...who was pleasing to look at for women and badass for men. Meanwhile this character pleases...no one.

Am I crazy if I say this makes me more interested in playing Star Wars Bounty Hunter (no, I didn't play it, so no nostalgia)? You have a badass looking Bounty hunter who can fly and destroy your enemies and seems having better gunplay, mobility and probably more freedom of action than this (even being a linear action game) and without insulting your audience's inteligenge or the actor's image for ESG points exploiting.

These developers continue to perplex me. Why get a beautiful model just to reduce their looks in the final product? Just get an average or ugly looking model and just duplicate her appearance or likeness in that case.

Last edited:

WoJ

I had only a mild interest in this game to begin with. Between crap like this and the need for internet to install and the fact that it's Ubisoft this has moved to a full pass for me unless the reception from gamers is through the roof.

Dazraell

Since when are characters supposed to look like their Voice actors?
I mean it make sense for Star Wars games considering they're trying to bleed canon stuff through different medias. So it's always a chance for the actress or actor who plays the lead to pop up in live action projects

This shit is just going too far.

It clearly shows Ubisoft lost all contact with and respect for their target audience.
I hope people cancel their pre-orders en masse. (if people were tasteless enough to pre-order in the first place)

And im not for any form of cancel culture, but this shit needs to stop! What on earth is the reasoning behind this spineless endevour?
You hire a beautiful woman, scan her and then butcher her face to look like fucking Gollum!???

The Lord Of The Rings Reaction GIF

UBI YOU FUCKING RETARDS!!!

Last edited:
I kinda disagree with this, only because these character models aren't really 'ugly' women. They're androgenous. They're designed to look more masculine, because the people making them are men who want to be women. That's the 'modern' ideology. That's why they'll take attractive female actors and make them look more masculine. If it was a feminist thing, they wouldn't bother to even hire the pretty actress to begin with. They'd go with an actual plainer, more 'normal' looking, or 'uglier' woman.

Feminism has been around for many, many years. But we've never had this kind of masculinisation of female characters before, and the reasons for it are quite obvious.
I guess there is this added element where the faces aren't just being made less attractive, but more masculine too. It's all connected though - gender ideology and transgenderism/feminism/wokism - the same flawed progressive ideology is at the root at all of it. Ironically, feminism seems to have reached the point where it agrees that men are better than women, which is why women should get to act and look like men too. They seem to hate feminine women and what they represent far more than men.

StereoVsn

I agree, she looks good in that video, but those are all cutscenes. I thought she looked good as well before I watched the gameplay trailer. Either the people creating the character model made her uglier on purpose or they are incompetent.
Why not both? They could have done the changes on purpose and in an incompetent manner. I believe ther Ubisoft is capable of multitasking here! 😉

geary

Wait, you don't find this pervasive attempted erasure of 'beauty' and 'femininity' under the guise of 'inclusivity' as a problem? The constant need to masculinise attractive female characters, industry wide, to appease a market, a demographic that doesn't exist is an issue that should be called out.
I dont give a shit...I dont choose to play or not a game based on the character model.

Top Bottom