• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

gatti-man

Armor sucks, presence boost is pretty gigantic, i'm up to 200 bonus presence now, and the effect on companions is rather large. The problem I specifally have is that you're abandoning a legacy that you built up. For example I unlocked all 8 character customizations from the Rakghoul event, and some people like me wouldn't be able to abandon that.

I dont think im abondoning it bc im sure i will be able to transfer my stuff sooner or later. Most likely when bioware provides a solution i will just move back with a fully geared tankasin.

1.2 greatly improved performance especially in pvp, wonder how Illum works now, but of course no one goes to Illum anymore. But WZ's and the open pvp boughts during the Rakghoul event went pretty smooth.

Would really like if they would mix things up with doing perhaps a 12 on 12 WZ eventually or something bigger, the game can handle it now, but they seem to be stuck in the mindset of keeping it at 8 vs 8.

At this point what does legacy provide that really helps besides rocket boost? The armor is gimicky and the companion boost isnt even needed. Ive died like twice lvling to 34.

As said before, I personally wouldn't want to lose all the Rakghoul items I spent a lot of time getting, losing the names of all my characters, losing all my legacy unlocks I spent millions on, losing all the bonuses and buffs, the list goes on,

3 months ago jumping server might have been acceptable, 6 months in I can't see myself doing it unless its an extreme last resort.

gatti-man

As said before, I personally wouldn't want to lose all the Rakghoul items I spent a lot of time getting, losing the names of all my characters, losing all my legacy unlocks I spent millions on, losing all the bonuses and buffs, the list goes on,

3 months ago jumping server might have been acceptable, 6 months in I can't see myself doing it unless its an extreme last resort.

4 months ago the game launched thats a little unrealistic. Also like i said you arent losing your legacy you would just rejoin at a later date. Im right there with you i did all those things and more. Its just digital fluff and you can get it back.

Milly79

You forgot the part about me. Bellend.

4 months ago the game launched thats a little unrealistic. Also like i said you arent losing your legacy you would just rejoin at a later date. Im right there with you i did all those things and more. Its just digital fluff and you can get it back.

As I said its time spent even if it is 'digital fluff' tho if you think that is all it is why did you bother to do it?

Strange mindset, anyway yea im not moving, i'll wait and see what Bioware do to the server (maybe they will merge a few into KV)

gatti-man

As I said its time spent even if it is 'digital fluff' tho if you think that is all it is why did you bother to do it?

Strange mindset, anyway yea im not moving, i'll wait and see what Bioware do to the server (maybe they will merge a few into KV)

All they have said is transfers. They have said nothing about mergers afaik. I did my stuff for fun. Its nice having it but not necessary for me to enjoy the game. Gameplay is what i enjoy. The only thing i did that i didnt enjoy was the +10 datacron that was a biatch.

bjb

Banned
Well you are completely wrong. Im sorry your pc cant handle more than 20 people moving around at once. During the rakghoul event my world boss ops team tangled with a rep side ops team gunning for the same world boss. Easily over 35 people all fighting and smooth as glass.

Your bias is so heavy at this point i wouldnt believe you if you said the sky was blue.

Yeah my PC sucks, yet I consistently run Crysis, Anno, and Battlefield on Ultra just fine.

Are people seriously defending the Hero Engine now? Are you Daniel Erickson?

Yeah my PC sucks, yet I consistently run Crysis, Anno, and Battlefield on Ultra just fine.

People are just saying you are wrong, which you should be accustomed too.

Right, pretty sure there's plenty more slide shows like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peKw8RA6Q8I

As opposed to people claiming they have no issues at all. Which is truly laughable given the Hero Engine's performance.

Multiple raids worth of players in one spot all aoe spamming, yea that is a great way to see how well a game runs. You really are a horrible troll, surprised you haven't gotten banned.... again.

You claim it can't handle more than 20 players, yet that is nonsense and most of us during 1.2 have seen the game run fight with 32+ plus players going at it nowadays. Performance issues in warzones are pretty much gone as well. We call out your bullshit and you try to defend your nonsense with a completely unrelated video from months ago.

Trolling and hyperbole to the max is all that you spew

gatti-man

Im not saying hero engine is great simply that you are wrong. I mean you are completely wrong. Im glad you run certain games at max. Im telling you i run swtor at 2560x1600 during 20v20 with silky smooth fps. So you are factually wrong.

bjb

Banned
Wasn't aware 3 months is now considered ancient history. Interesting.

My guild and I participated in the Rakghoul event almost every day. Our entire guild, hell the entire server was in agreement it was a trainwreck during the Bantha boss. Multiple guilds fighting all at once to tag it and kill each other. Literally an absolute slide-show (identical to the video I posted).

And since when is World PvP NOT large groups spamming (and AoEing)?? Did no one here play vanilla WoW? I'd also invite you to watch any gw2 RvR videos which run infinitely smoother with even larger groups and seige weapons.

So I'm curious as to what exactly BioWare has "optimized". Subscription loses and dead servers disagree with any optimization or BioWare's ability to make the game better. Keep back-seat modding though, really contributes towards the discussion.

gatti-man

My guild and I participated in the Rakghoul event almost every day. Our entire guild, hell the entire server was in agreement it was a trainwreck during the Bantha boss. Multiple guilds fighting all at once to tag it and kill each other. Literally an absolute slide-show (identical to the video I posted).

And since when is World PvP NOT large groups spamming (and AoEing)?? Did no one here play vanilla WoW? I'd also invite you to watch any gw2 RvR videos which run infinitely smoother with even larger groups and seige weapons.

So I'm curious as to what exactly BioWare has "optimized". Subscription loses and dead servers disagree with any optimization or BioWare's ability to make the game better. Keep back-seat modding though, really contributes towards the discussion.

Lol 3 months isnt a long time during a launch mmo? Lmao.

Well a ton of people were in that fight from rep gaf so they can verify if they look at this thread. Literally no one on kv complained about poor performance and judging by this thread you stand alone on that.

No one is back seat modding but you are trolling at this point and its pretty obvious to anyone that plays the game.

Saw 40 people + attacking the bantha when my guild was going after it and the game ran fine, gonna have to agree with the others and say the engine is running a hell of a lot better than it was (I remember it chugging like arse in ilum when there was a similar number of people and even getting the random load screens and stuff)

Cystm

I did in fact play WoW in vanilla on Frostwolf, US, BG9. AoE face rolling was done by bads only (much like the bads in that video you linked.) even if at the time you were running a decent machine, you would experience the same lag as in the video, that did not change for some people until patch 1.11.0

You are right about it being poorly optomized at launch, but it was really only a problem for most people in that specific situation (AoE face rolling en masse) As for the GW2 RvR videos? This video is only a few weeks old, and you can see stuttering, and warping out the ass - but it will (like with TOR) get ironed out.

You might as well just post TORtanic pictures from /v and call it a day at this point.

Just did my first op group. It was refreshing and a lot of fun.

Quite a bit easier than some of the stuff I remember in wow but it was storymode so whatever.

I still dont know if Im going to renew my sub but I have a month and a half left thanks to the freebie.

Milly79

Just did my first op group. It was refreshing and a lot of fun.

Quite a bit easier than some of the stuff I remember in wow but it was storymode so whatever.

I still dont know if Im going to renew my sub but I have a month and a half left thanks to the freebie.

I'm assuming it was EV? KP and more specifically EC give a much harder challenge.

Milly79

Yeah, like I said though, it felt appropriate for "Story Mode".

Eh, even up through nightmare EV is a breeze. The only issues were bugs, and they're basically all gone.

Hopefully you can try a KP. I can't remember the last time I did a SM KP, but I would expect it to be a tad harder.

Eh, even up through nightmare EV is a breeze. The only issues were bugs, and they're basically all gone.

Hopefully you can try a KP. I can't remember the last time I did a SM KP, but I would expect it to be a tad harder.

Oh Im sure I will. This is my first MMO playing as a healer and I actually find it to be a lot more manageable and easier than running around like a mouse as a DPS.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Anyone think there's gonna be anything special tomorrow to try and keep people away from Diablo?

Yes, I'm inclined to think they will do something, although I'm of 2 minds about it. On the one hand they could try to do something to entice people to log in and take a little bit of spotlight away from Blizzard but on the other hand they may feel like it's not likely to have any effect and do something in a week or so when some people have already ODed on D3.

Anyone think there's gonna be anything special tomorrow to try and keep people away from Diablo?

That would be "smart" of Bioware. So no

Lol 3 months isnt a long time during a launch mmo? Lmao.

Well a ton of people were in that fight from rep gaf so they can verify if they look at this thread. Literally no one on kv complained about poor performance and judging by this thread you stand alone on that.

No one is back seat modding but you are trolling at this point and its pretty obvious to anyone that plays the game.

Hes been trolling since day one, it's pathetic and when someone calls him out on something he just moves his goal posts by jumping to unrelated issues.

I am not sure what they can do at this point.

I say:

Re-focus entire game. They have a chance to turn everything around using space as a means to move into a open world sandbox. so what if the planets are theme park. so what if the story is shoehorned 1-50. let that be the nice introduction. from here on out, open space with randomly generated armies, cruisers, pvp space stations that can be boarded, destroyer world bosses and so on, can all be a combination of randomly generated and changing content.

advantages:

1) you can have exciting real time combat in space easily, because your not even rendering the "ground". your just having players floating in a skybox.

2) space can introduce guild capital ships.

3) we can destroy the boring fleets, and have community scatter other places.

4) space is the thing that gw2/tera/secret world/others does not have.

Making the space game an expansion like jump to lightspeed will not be enough. Even if they went fully free 2 play I am not even sure it would be enough. despite good reviews and good initial sales, it was just not enough. Despite being Star Wars it was not enough. So going Free 2 play won't be enough. The only way out of this is a complete restructure of the game.

the story failed. My Guardian is a carbon copy of every other guardian. It's beyond insulting that it is this similar. It's annoying. Offensive even.
The game is not bad, but someone prioritized wrongly.

And while controversial, I really think they should make heroric combat like they said they would. Wielding a lightsaber is incredible unsatisfying. Goddamit... Jedi Knight 3 were are you???

Well they got content already in works and planned going into next year, but there is also the talk of space getting a big focus in the future, we will see what comes of it.

They had a decent thing going, but Bioware has been incredibly slow at doing anything with the game, so many features taking forever. It was almost 4 months before a single in game event and first real content update? Why are they holding back all the stuff for these big content updates instead of constantly adding to it? Releasing an update and then nothing for months is not a way to keep people logging and paying a sub.

The folks who did RIFT seemed to understand this and were putting out new events every few weeks and updates every month. Even if it was something small, there was always stuff coming. This releasing an update and basically silence for months is ridiculous.

The rackghoul event was cool, but pretty much doing it the same week as your release of 1.2? That was kind of silly, it probably should have came a bit later to have something fresh for players to do in the gap between releases.

gatti-man

Not going to happen.

I am not sure what they can do at this point.

I say:

Re-focus entire game. They have a chance to turn everything around using space as a means to move into a open world sandbox. so what if the planets are theme park. so what if the story is shoehorned 1-50. let that be the nice introduction. from here on out, open space with randomly generated armies, cruisers, pvp space stations that can be boarded, destroyer world bosses and so on, can all be a combination of randomly generated and changing content.

advantages:

1) you can have exciting real time combat in space easily, because your not even rendering the "ground". your just having players floating in a skybox.

2) space can introduce guild capital ships.

3) we can destroy the boring fleets, and have community scatter other places.

4) space is the thing that gw2/tera/secret world/others does not have.

Making the space game an expansion like jump to lightspeed will not be enough. Even if they went fully free 2 play I am not even sure it would be enough. despite good reviews and good initial sales, it was just not enough. Despite being Star Wars it was not enough. So going Free 2 play won't be enough. The only way out of this is a complete restructure of the game.

the story failed. My Guardian is a carbon copy of every other guardian. It's beyond insulting that it is this similar. It's annoying. Offensive even.
The game is not bad, but someone prioritized wrongly.

And while controversial, I really think they should make heroric combat like they said they would. Wielding a lightsaber is incredible unsatisfying. Goddamit... Jedi Knight 3 were are you???

Yea was pretty crazy dropping the Rakghoul event when they did.

Hopefully 1.3 will be up on the PTS in the next week or 2 and we can see what they are changing around, defiently interested in these augment slots so I can get them on the random uncraftable armors and crit crafting orange bracers and belts.

Francois424

Neo Member
*snip* defiently interested in these augment slots so I can get them on the random uncraftable armors and crit crafting orange bracers and belts.

Yeah crafting Orange Belts and Bracers will be sweet revenge for the bastards hoarding them and (re)selling them at 250k or more. Thank god I didn't fall so low as to spend half-million credit on them. I'm going to so flood the market with them so they can't sell theirs for more than 5k (on the non-crit ones tho).

That was a nice move by Bioware; sometimes they get things right =)

derFeef

So I got game time from a friend to try it out. I am downloading the whole day with 200-300kb/s. Tried opening ports, deactivating firewalls etc... Is this patcher really that slow? It's painful.

Next week friday q&a is supposed to be focused on 1.3, so we perhaps will be getting a reveal sometime soon after.

When your guild is 8 times as big as needed to run one? It's not a good sign.

Guild was larger than that and we had cancels all the time. Not everyone wants to raid or can commit, and because of no dual specs, you can get screwed on missing folks. It happens.

H3xum

Bleh

I purchased this game and have been waiting til I had more than 1 free day in a row to play it and I keep coming to this thread to maintain my excitement for the game, but everyone seems so toxic in this thread. This game isn't appealing anymore. It's always complaining in here.

Moaradin

Bleh

I purchased this game and have been waiting til I had more than 1 free day in a row to play it and I keep coming to this thread to maintain my excitement for the game, but everyone seems so toxic in this thread. This game isn't appealing anymore. It's always complaining in here.

You have nothing to worry about really. If you are just starting, the leveling experience should be great. Most of the bitching comes after you reach level cap.

Sigfodr

"Well, I have a couple hours before work, maybe I can get some PVP in."
>8 people in Imperial Fleet
"Dammit, Diablo"

Draxal

Bleh

I'll agree with Moaradin, the leveling experience is quite fine now, except for the fact that pvp q's will take longer to pop, and you will have trouble finding group quests/fp's. Both of those are not needed to enjoy leveling, and I skipped them.

The toxicity is all based on the end game. In all honesty theme park mmo's end games kinda suck in general. Old Republic hasn't really added nothing new to it and lacking features that the more established games have.

H3xum

I'll agree with Moaradin, the leveling experience is quite fine now, except for the fact that pvp q's will take longer to pop, and you will have trouble finding group quests/fp's. Both of those are not needed to enjoy leveling, and I skipped them.

The toxicity is all based on the end game. In all honesty theme park mmo's end games kinda suck in general. Old Republic hasn't really added nothing new to it and lacking features that the more established games have.

You have nothing to worry about really. If you are just starting, the leveling experience should be great. Most of the bitching comes after you reach level cap.

Thanks for the reassurance

So I want to do a Jedi Sage

Seer seems to be the dominating role for the class, but I'm not crazy about being a healer for my first playthrough, I'd like to go telekinetics, balance, or hybrid of those two for some feeling of badassery. Is that plausible or is it basically garbage? Should I go sith mage if I want to be a damage dealer? (boo don't want to do that)

gatti-man

Thanks for the reassurance

So I want to do a Jedi Sage

Seer seems to be the dominating role for the class, but I'm not crazy about being a healer for my first playthrough, I'd like to go telekinetics, balance, or hybrid of those two for some feeling of badassery. Is that plausible or is it basically garbage? Should I go sith mage if I want to be a damage dealer? (boo don't want to do that)

Just roll on fatman. Everyone is bitching bc servers are dead. Even last night during diablo launch fatman was full. Its a matter of bioware leaving people too spread out and it sucks. This wont affect you. The game is awesome.

Dont go mage imo. Do you want ranged dps or melee? If you want a nice mix of melee and ranged roll a tankasin. Its an inquisitor assassin in the darkness spec. You can guard healers, stealth, in combat stealth for 10 seconds which is awesome, you have a nice assortment of interrupts, force speed as a closer, slows, assassinate, and imo the coolest armor in the game.

H3xum

Just roll on fatman. Everyone is bitching bc servers are dead. Even last night during diablo launch fatman was full. Its a matter of bioware leaving people too spread out and it sucks. This wont affect you. The game is awesome.

Dont go mage imo. Do you want ranged dps or melee? If you want a nice mix of melee and ranged roll a tankasin. Its an inquisitor assassin in the darkness spec. You can guard healers, stealth, in combat stealth for 10 seconds which is awesome, you have a nice assortment of interrupts, force speed as a closer, slows, assassinate, and imo the coolest armor in the game.

Fatman, check.

Boooooo, I wanted to go mage, but I'll listen to your wisdom. I was actually planning on that sin as my second class. I wanted to do a Republic class my first go through. What's the most approachable/non-awful Republic class? Jedi Sentinel decent?

Draxal

Fatman, check.

Boooooo, I wanted to go mage, but I'll listen to your wisdom. I was actually planning on that sin as my second class. I wanted to do a Republic class my first go through. What's the most approachable/non-awful Republic class? Jedi Sentinel decent?

Going mage is fine, the class is just overplayed (by far the most popular class). Sages/Sorcerors are the same exact class, and are the easiest to play, you just see more sorcerors because lightning >>> throwing rocks. If you play a Sage, i'd just recommend going for the tree on the right (forgot the name atm)

I wouldn't recommend a Jedi Sentinel as your first class, it has the hardest curve of any class, due to the Jedi Knight storyline being a little overtuned compared to the rest.

H3xum

Going mage is fine, the class is just overplayed (by far the most popular class). Sages/Sorcerors are the same exact class, and are the easiest to play, you just see more sorcerors because lightning >>> throwing rocks. If you play a Sage, i'd just recommend going for the tree on the right (forgot the name atm)

I wouldn't recommend a Jedi Sentinel as your first class, it has the hardest curve of any class, due to the Jedi Knight storyline being a little overtuned compared to the rest.

Thanks

So a melee Republic character doesn't sound like it's going to work out :(

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
To be honest play what you want, people say the jedi sentinel is insanely hard, but he's not. He's approachable like any other class, you can be a bad sentinel and beat the game and do decent in PvE. It's PvP and keybinding 30 skills where the "skill factor" comes in. You'll get used to it by the time you hit 50.

Draxal

To be honest play what you want, people say the jedi sentinel is insanely hard, but he's not. He's approachable like any other class, you can be a bad sentinel and beat the game and do decent in PvE. It's PvP and keybinding 30 skills where the "skill factor" comes in. You'll get used to it by the time you hit 50.

I'll disagree, sentinel doesn't have any real cc, unlike most of the other classes Their storyline missions are harder than other classes (they were done first, the original jedi knight storyline final mission was almost impossible to do initially until they nerfed all the trash packs later on), people have had trouble with the first jk boss (around level 17) and the act 1 boss. I mean it's not necessarily impossible to do, it's not nearly as easy other classes and left some people pretty frustrated (see some of the posts in the original OT about this).

H3xum

I'll disagree, sentinel doesn't have any real cc, unlike most of the other classes Their storyline missions are harder than other classes (they were done first, the original jedi knight storyline final mission was almost impossible to do initially until they nerfed all the trash packs later on), people have had trouble with the first jk boss (around level 17) and the act 1 boss. I mean it's not necessarily impossible to do, it's not nearly as easy other classes and left some people pretty frustrated (see some of the posts in the original OT about this).

Ok since I am stuck on playing a Republic melee guy first...how's the Shadow? All of their specs seem decent. This is again from the approachability side of things.

Draxal

Ok since I am stuck on playing a Republic melee guy first...how's the Shadow? All of their specs seem decent. This is again from the approachability side of things.

Why are you stuck playing a republic melee guy? Sage is good class to play and seemed to be your first choice. Shadow is a good class to play as well, read Gattiman's writeup of the assassin, it is the same exact class except some of the abilitites have different names. And don't let my post try to scare you off the Sentinel if you really like the aesthetics, it just takes a little more work than playing the other classes, but it's nothing impossible.

Milly79

Shadow/Sin is a PITA without a healer.

whom you don't get until Hoth

Top Bottom