• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

UltraMav

Dang, fixing the companion bug in one day... BW is starting to impress me again.

EDIT: Also, the CSRs seemed to have had a mix up and not only reimbursed my CCs plus 300 extra coins, they also put the four cartel packs I had lost into my "unclaimed items" of the store. Am I a bad man for taking the money and the items?

Alur

Dang, fixing the companion bug in one day... BW is starting to impress me again.

EDIT: Also, the CSRs seemed to have had a mix up and not only reimbursed my CCs plus 300 extra coins, they also put the four cartel packs I had lost into my "unclaimed items" of the store. Am I a bad man for taking the money and the items?

No. You've put plenty into this game I'm sure. I wouldn't feel bad at all.

Alur

No marginal cost of production and happy customers trump one-offs like this.

Indeed. This is literally the one time that a thief could say "they'll never know it's missing" and actually be correct. It doesn't cost them anything, and whatever you get is completely random. I'd condemn stealing a pack of gum, but this...I think they kind of owe you for all the trouble, to be honest. And maybe it was intentional anyway.

UltraMav

Cool, thanks for reaffirming my moral fortitude guys. :-D

Also, my encyclopedia came yesterday, and it was definitely worth the cost. I definitely know why they call it a "brick."

hamchan

I actually feel like playing on an empty server because I just want to play through the storylines and other people steal my quest mobs or items.

ShaneB

Cool, thanks for reaffirming my moral fortitude guys. :-D

Also, my encyclopedia came yesterday, and it was definitely worth the cost. I definitely know why they call it a "brick."

I feel a bit bad for getting rid of the dust cover, but I hate those things. The art on the hardcover is the same anyway without the text so it does look pretty stylish. But yeah, brick, tome, whatever you want to call it, it's definitely a hefty book. I really love skimming through it.

Jomjom

Banned
Hopefully someone who has gone from subscriber to "preferred" can answer this:

I know you get to keep your legacy unlocks when you switch to preferred, but do you keep your "character perks" when you go from paid to preferred? I'm looking at things like the unlocks like the personal repair droids, respec droids, crafting boosts, etc. These are the unlocks that apply only to one character, rather than the entire account.

If someone knows the answer I would greatly appreciate it!

Wondering if the rest of the Dreadmasters stuff is going to be another raid or it's part of the next FP? From the leaked info about the next raid, that sounds like it will have more to do with the rise of the Hutt Cartel stuff and they seem to like to put the major events in this game into FPs (assume they want more ppl to have access to these story events).

Also on the forth slide of the banner at the top of www.swtor.com , where does that helmet/mask come from on the Jedi? Never seen anyone in game with one of those.

vilmer_

Just a reminder the live Q&A starts at 4 eastern, less than 10 mins.

http://www.livestream.com/starwarstheoldrepublic

Some notes so far:

-revamping of Ilum and event in February (may be sooner)
-new info regarding Makeb coming "in the very near future"'
-they are working on a pvp system that pair up high end players and low end players in pugs
-subs and users since F2P are way beyond what they were expecting
-new cartel packs every month
-looks like a new event coming in December with a ton of new items

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
That was a pretty good Q&A, makes me feel good about the future of the game and future content.

daoster

Didn't catch the qa, but from the interview posted above, it seems like Makeb is a planet story as opposed to a class story... did they clarify that?

Didn't catch the qa, but from the interview posted above, it seems like Makeb is a planet story as opposed to a class story... did they clarify that?

They talked about it recently and didn't make it clear but pretty sure it's a planetary storyline that will have elements of your class story tied into it depending on your previous choices and such. So it sounds like the class stories are not really going to have any major new story continuations and simply be stuff that ties your ending into the new planets with a story for pub and imp sides.

UltraMav

Good to hear that F2P is a success, at least initially. I'm still worried about the long term consequences of the harsh degree of restrictions. Seems like they're getting on the right track for preferred players at least.

Wonder if they plan on advertising the F2P eventually like DCUniverse and LOTRO which had commercials on tv fairly frequently after their launches.

HBroward

Trevin is not happy.

You are killing me, got to rub the Red-Backed Gizka I sold you all in my face. Thanks. Glad it matches the mount so well. Argrgghjhgegrrhgjkrg;shjg.

One big part of the Q&A not mentioned: Preferred players will be getting 6 character slots!
That is a pretty big deal, they really need to roll out the option to buy more slots, but that is certainly a step towards rendering that irrelevant.

UltraMav

Have they not premiered the F2P ad they previewed earlier this year on television yet? I haven't seen it but I also haven't been watching too much TV recently.

Miletius

They should probably get rid of quickbar slots on the marketplace altogether, since one purchase of $5.00 will get you six + 500 spacebuckaroos. Just advertise $5.00 dollars gets you 6 quickbar slots, pref login, ect, ect...

Giolon

Ah, confused. Well, nevermind then.

Edit: I'd like to be able to purchase a couple more too, hopefully that's coming down the pipe.

You already can.

Currently:

Free players: 2 Quickbars w/ option to purchase more (up to 6)
"Preferred" players: 2 Quickbars w/ option to purchase more (up to 6)
Subscribers: 6 Quickbars

Next week "Preferred" are supposed to be bumped up to 4 Quickbars.

Do you honestly need more than 6 Quickbars? That's 72 interface buttons...

I still haven't even turned on my 5th for most of my characters.

HBroward

You already can.

Currently:

Free players: 2 Quickbars w/ option to purchase more (up to 6)
"Preferred" players: 2 Quickbars w/ option to purchase more (up to 6)
Subscribers: 6 Quickbars

Next week "Preferred" are supposed to be bumped up to 4 Quickbars.

Do you honestly need more than 6 Quickbars? That's 72 interface buttons...

I still haven't even turned on my 5th for most of my characters.

We are talking Character Slots, not bars. I'm really surprised they are giving another 4 away free, how many F2P users will actually play more than 6 of the stories? Revenue left on the table in my opinion.

Ashodin

Having a blast shooting through the beginning levels of both Sith Inquisitor (damn you Wallach and Jira) and Jedi Sentinel.

I 've never filled out 4 bars on any character, so the extras beyond that seem a bit pointless outside of customizing your screen. Don't think the 5-6 bars will be really needed till the level cap increase comes with the new planet.

Giolon

We are talking Character Slots, not bars. I'm really surprised they are giving another 4 away free, how many F2P users will actually play more than 6 of the stories? Revenue left on the table in my opinion.

Ah, my mistake. I am also looking forward to being able to purchase more character slots. Bioware already confirmed that's coming down the pipe in an interview recently, in response to a comment about how it's unfair that some people got additional character slots by way of the server mergers.

People complain about Scoundrels on Sniper, but for me it's good Shadows that fuck me up. They know to just LOS me or vanish during entrench, and when that's gone it's GG unless I can kite well. Their utility is kinda bullshit. :/

Miletius

Yeah, I kind of imagined they'd allow pref to buy more than 2 but not give them away. Then again, maybe they dont' imagine many people wanting to play through the game 6 times, so they feel okay giving you that many slots as long as you spent some money along the way.

vilmer_

Has anyone tried the +41 expertise crystals in lowbie pvp? I'm going to grab a couple and see if it makes a big difference.

Edit - I think it should be about a 5% ish increase.

I'm a new F2P player and am liking the game so I was thinking about purchasing a 60 day pass, but any time I go to buy one on the SWTOR website, it says that my credit/debit card can't be processed. Anyone else have this issue when trying to buy a pass?

Also, I'm a Jedi Knight and I was wondering when I can get Kira in my party.

Cystm

I'm a new F2P player and am liking the game so I was thinking about purchasing a 60 day pass, but any time I go to buy one on the SWTOR website, it says that my credit/debit card can't be processed. Anyone else have this issue when trying to buy a pass?

Also, I'm a Jedi Knight and I was wondering when I can get Kira in my party.

Amazon?

and Yooni is right about Kira.

Ahhh, just saw you can pay with iDeal now. Tempted to buy a month (although I have exams coming up, I could use this as my relax and play a bit game).

Liked the time that I played this. Never got a character to max level, but liked the stories and I had alot of fun with my Inquisitor and my Bounty Hunter in PvP. I remember being an asshole on Voidstar. BH had an ability that could set people on fire and made them unable to open the doors because the burning effect kept cancelling it. I'd just spam that ability on the whole enemy team and laugh my ass off. And I never did a Flashpoint, I see there is a group finder now.

Hmmm. Tempting. Guess I'll try the F2P first.

(and I'm in EU so no Gaf guild for me :( )

Alur

Stuck at "Installing Main Assets 91". It just stays at 0%. Do I want to spent the whole day searching for a fix, no. Sigh. Oh well.

I haven't heard of any issue like that in some time. I don't know what to tell you there.

Also, Yooni...your return has finished returning, so have you fell back in a cynical love with SWTOR again like the rest of us?

EDIT: Maybe jaded is the right word. Or tainted!

ShaneB

I'm enjoying it as well. Actually thinking of subbing. I still think the F2P restrictions were too strict though.

Heh, if you're thinking of subscribing, I'd imagine the restrictions were just right to get you to sub. :p

Also, on that QA, was there any mention of space mission improvements/overhaul?

Heh, if you're thinking of subscribing, I'd imagine the restrictions were just right to get you to sub. :p

Also, on that QA, was there any mention of space mission improvements/overhaul?

Well 1.6 is putting in new space missions for high levels, but there is a "secret" space project for the game in the works. They mentioned that it was in the works, that they just played the prototype of it and that it's totally different from whats currently in the game. Though they also said it's some time away in coming so don't expect any major reveals or news anytime soon about it. Details of what this space project is though is up in the air.

ShaneB

Well 1.6 is putting in new space missions for high levels, but there is a "secret" space project for the game in the works. They mentioned that it was in the works, that they just played the prototype of it and that it's totally different from whats currently in the game. Though they also said it's some time away in coming so don't expect any major reveals or news anytime soon about it. Details of what this space project is though is up in the air.

Yeah, after I posted that, I went on the read that news post about the Heroic Space Missions that are coming.

But I was more interested in the overhaul part, which as you say, seems to be in the long term pipeline. It's definitely a huge thing to change and add, so I don't expect it anytime soon, but as long as it's on the to-do list, that's what I want to hear.

EDIT: Here's a good summary of that QA if others were curious like me. From http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=564137

Rough Notes
Jeff Hickman & Damion Schubert
Transition to FTP is going very well – we seem more players using every metric we have. Our expectations were blown away.
Six character slots for preferred players (up from 2). This will come in the same patch that allow players to buy more character slots. Returning players may find the restrictions a bit restrictive but we need to find a balance between making sure subscribers get their money’s worth and making the F2P option attractive. Brand new players may not find the restrictions restrictive as they don’t know what it is like without the restrictions.
There is a thing we are planning for Ilum in Feb-March. It is going to be a revisit to Ilum but it is not going to be just a reboot of the same old scenarios we had there fore. It is going to be more than just PvP and has some of the most amazing world buildings there.
With the Mekab patch, we will have slight philosophical restructuring of how our itemization is done that is going to make the itemization more sustainable in the long run. It is somewhere between an itemization spiral going out of control and complete flattening (i.e. horizontal progression).
No plans for making separate warzones for elite PvP players but there are adjustments coming soon to make it so that the queuing system pair up elite players with elite players and non elites with non elites. No time frame on that adjustment. We want to make PvP more about player skills than the gear gap.
No timeframe on Mekab yet but we just did a playthrough of the Imperial storyline internally. So it is far enough along that we are playing it and adjusting it to Bioware standards. Expect it “pretty darn soon”.
Ease our minds of the current team with the restructuring. More bugs seem to rise up? We have a lot of very dedicated people who are very passionate about this game. There is no negative news along those fronts here. As far as bugs – if you look at version 1.1., 1.2, etc. every one of them had downtimes and multiple hotfixes after the patch. In 1.4 and 1.5 you just have seen some bugs that were really in your face that made the game feel a lot more buggy. We are getting better at finding the bugs and fixing the bugs. We take bugs seriously. We have leaderboards and monthly competitions to see who plays SWTOR more in the office.
Super Space Project: It is great, it is something that is a departure from our normal space game. It is something that we have a team right now dedicated to building and working on. It is also something that is pretty far out in the future. We are talking far out.. It is definitely not what we shipping in the original product. It is possible that this is a multiplayer game due to the emphasize on the word together (read the transcript or watch the video).
Our intent right now is to update the Cartel Market weekly and see a new Cartel pack with new rare items every month. Before the holidays, we got a really big cool update coming. With Life day coming up, we will have a new Life Day Cartel pack and cool new items such as Czerka LV-1 Celebrator (you are going to die when you see it), Life Day robes, orbs, holo-tree etc. Going forward, you can expect to see more archetypical gear (i..e more of a core Jedi Knight look etc).
Earlier this year we did the guild summit, guild capitals, guild calenders, chat bubbles, ready check, were mentioned. When is all this coming? The studio has gone a lot of change since the guild summit, we are busy working on a lot of things. We changed some of the things we are working on. Some we are still working on, but some are on the backburner. I love the idea of guild capital ships but these things are abit further out. All of these features on the wall of crazy but it is a ordered by priority. Small things on that wall have a more chance to happen – i.e. inventory sorting that is coming soon.
New system to copy live characters to PTS whenever you want. You should see it before we launch Mekab so you can test out that content.
Legacy system will undergo a minor revamp to make it more important. No ETA on when it will happen.
Mekab will have some some new gameplay activities, new way for you to go and explore the world. Minigames like sitting down and playing cards are on the list of things to do but not at the top.
CE vendors – any plans to make the items on the vendors available on the Cartel Market. We backburnered it until January – no plans as of right now.
Cathar is coming in the months timeframe. How well Cathar do in the Cartel Market will decide if we will get more races beyond Cathar.
We are hitting our 6-8 content release schedule pretty good. There will be a 9 week window between the game update (1.6) landing before the holidays and the update after the holidays (1.7) since we want to give our guys the holiday off since they were all here last year. We will aim for 6 weeks but will go for 8 weeks for quality issues etc.

Milly79

Also, Yooni...your return has finished returning, so have you fell back in a cynical love with SWTOR again like the rest of us?

EDIT: Maybe jaded is the right word. Or tainted!

As I told Trev: I love the game, but I'm chasing that "first toon" feeling I had almost a year ago.

Stuck at "Installing Main Assets 91". It just stays at 0%. Do I want to spent the whole day searching for a fix, no. Sigh. Oh well.

This problem still comes up from time to time.

I got around this by installing it on my external HDD and then transferring everything to my desktop.

Top Bottom