• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound |OT| Boundless...

So, how can I get any halfway decent weapons? Dreadwing is impossible with my current arsenal, even though they're mostly legendary and rares. There's just no way to keep up with his mobs. But crafting isn't making anything better and the vendors haven't sold me a good weapon yet.

iosefe

The server doesn't like me

First because of asset mismatch, then once I got I was kicked for inactivity while typing

Got in again and my messages wouldn't send. Now can't get in

Finaj

So, how is Starbound 1.0? I haven't been following the game as of late and the game was not very impressive when it first entered early access.

Vastag

Dying deep below after a long ore run with your inventory full is the worst. I don't even remember how to get where I died.

Dying deep below after a long ore run with your inventory full is the worst. I don't even remember how to get where I died.

Thats why I always create a path of torches.

I can just follow it to my items.

Though it is really annoying to die deep underground

So I've played Starbound since it was very first put into Alpha. I played through Beta. Put hundreds of hours in. Beat all the bosses and made all kinds of fortresses and structures across hundreds of planets.

And I've never been as mad as I am trying to play on this shitty starter planet that it put me on. Literally no easy plant fibres, a massive amount of every possible enemy, bandits, mines full of spinning radishes, and I've not yet found any decent loot.

Edit: I'm done with this game. Spawned on the most hostile Tier 1 planet I've ever seen, and I played when your starting planet could be an ice world that dealt damage over time.

Those spinning radishes are the worst.

I do miss Terraria's day/night thing, where you could explore and be reasonably safe during the daytime and then build during the night. In Starbound, it feels like every screen has an enemy you need to grind through, and due to the progression there's really not much reason to build, but rather explore (due to changing planets). Leads to stockpiling of everything, hoarding of healing items, and a lot of very rote combat/crafting. At least that's been my experience in my couple hours of 1.0--I do imagine it changes once you can nab a "home planet."

WaterAstro

So I've played Starbound since it was very first put into Alpha. I played through Beta. Put hundreds of hours in. Beat all the bosses and made all kinds of fortresses and structures across hundreds of planets.

And I've never been as mad as I am trying to play on this shitty starter planet that it put me on. Literally no easy plant fibres, a massive amount of every possible enemy, bandits, mines full of spinning radishes, and I've not yet found any decent loot.

Edit: I'm done with this game. Spawned on the most hostile Tier 1 planet I've ever seen, and I played when your starting planet could be an ice world that dealt damage over time.

Er plant fibers are literally everywhere. Just nab some vines.

And everything is easily beaten if you're really having that much trouble. Grab dirt and you're god mode.

Ventara

Oh man, this game is finally out of Early Access? Oh man, I'm so tempted to pick it up right now. Has this game ever had a steeper discount that 25%? I've had it on my wishlist for the longest time but don't recall it ever having a big discount.

OmegaDL50

So, how can I get any halfway decent weapons? Dreadwing is impossible with my current arsenal, even though they're mostly legendary and rares. There's just no way to keep up with his mobs. But crafting isn't making anything better and the vendors haven't sold me a good weapon yet.

I think working to upgrade your blacksmithing table might be worthwhile to get access to higher tiers of equipment to make.

Also some times getting a better piece of crafted armor can make up for having a weak weapon with the damage % increase for some armor pieces.

Is there something I'm missing with the second "clue" story quest? For finding Hyloti clues? I've visited three Ocean planets, found maybe 10-12 clues, but the bar isn't even 20% filled, and it's taken me like 4 hours to do that.

I've found a few clues on little islands, but it seems like I have to dive super deep, then dig for an eternity, then dig for another eternity aimlessly until I randomly happen upon some clues, which isn't often.

kafiend

Is there something I'm missing with the second "clue" story quest? For finding Hyloti clues? I've visited three Ocean planets, found maybe 10-12 clues, but the bar isn't even 20% filled, and it's taken me like 4 hours to do that.

I've found a few clues on little islands, but it seems like I have to dive super deep, then dig for an eternity, then dig for another eternity aimlessly until I randomly happen upon some clues, which isn't often.

No, its the same as the first quest just find stuff to scan. I lucked out with the Hyotl. Went to an ocean planet, into the water, swam around and found a large settlement in it that had everything I needed.

Unlike the Floran one which just pissed me off. Two settlements left me at about 95% done and then I found the last thing I needed on a different planet type in a random chest, underground in a small structure.

No, its the same as the first quest just find stuff to scan. I lucked out with the Hyotl. Went to an ocean planet, into the water, swam around and found a large settlement in it that had everything I needed.

Unlike the Floran one which just pissed me off. Two settlements left me at about 95% done and then I found the last thing I needed on a different planet type in a random chest, underground in a small structure.

Damn, okay. I guess I just have terrible luck. I've scanned a lot of stuff the bar just barely creeps up each time.

Do they have most of their settlements at the bottom of the ocean, or do you have to dig deep usually? Or.. I'm guessing it's just completely random?

Landford

Banned

In some ocean planets, I found a Hyotl Colony deep in the ocean (was an sprawling city, actually, complete with airlocks, dancing floors, libraries and a dive bar) wich filled almost all my bar by itself.

All you talking about ropes, I just use fucking dirt. Build myself a platform, hop around safely. The movement being a bit floaty is what has caused me to sail to my doom a couple times now, but ropes honestly seem like they'd require skill and dirt you can just jump on, ha ha.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Are there any game changing hotkeys or UI tricks? I am loving the game but finding the UI a slog compared to Terraria

All you talking about ropes, I just use fucking dirt. Build myself a platform, hop around safely. The movement being a bit floaty is what has caused me to sail to my doom a couple times now, but ropes honestly seem like they'd require skill and dirt you can just jump on, ha ha.

Hell yeah, dirt walking is definitely the way to go.

Sarcasm

Shift click moves the item to the storage.

They need more then this, pleaseeeeee! Quickstack WTB. That is basically takes items in yoru inventory and will only put in storage if that item exists in storage. Plus many other standard features.

Floran villages and stuff can only be found on Low Threat planets? Or can be found on moderate?

Er plant fibers are literally everywhere. Just nab some vines.

And everything is easily beaten if you're really having that much trouble. Grab dirt and you're god mode.

Except they aren't on my planet. I've sank ~500 hours into Starbound so I know a bit about how it works. On this planet though, exploring the surface is near impossible because there aren't any easily acquired plant fibres to make salves with. Without salves, I die to the enemies that are almost exclusively in group of 4-5, even if I beat them I just die to another group down the line. Generally, you would find some variety of weapon that makes this a non-issue, but none of the chests have dropped anything so I have to fight with the starter sword which is strangely bad for fighting groups. Going underground is also a death sentence because of the sheer volume of enemies.

I made a new character and things are fine. That planet was literally some type of God-mode difficulty for no reason.

Skinpop

my thoughts after spending 15 or so hours on 1.0(i've played the beta before):

First of all, to me the appeal of this game is to play something like minecraft but with a different flavor. Basically I want to explore, create stuff and have fun with my friends online.

Exploring is fun for the first 15 or so planets but then you feel like you've seen it all and suddenly the universe doesn't look big anymore. They fucked up with the mechanics here. I would have loved if you had to do things differently depending on biome and hazards but the only thing you need to worry about is upgrading your backpack. This results in the the environmental differences becoming a pointless feature that only serves as a progress check. Perhaps worse, the worlds aren't interesting. I never find places that look cool or interesting it's just hills, trees, blocks with different colors, some liquids and the occasional buildings. The excitement of visiting a new planet usually dies within the first two minutes.

Combat is serviceable I guess. Weapons are fun with all the variation but fighting is a chore. The biggest issue with combat is that there's no point to doing it. Why should I risk losing my stuff and 30% of my money for 15 pixels and some useless drop when I could avoid and dig myself into the ground. There should be some incentive to fight beyond surviving, either that it serves its own purpose by feeling great or because it can get you valuable stuff. If that's too troublesome to implement then encounters should be drastically less frequent.

Creating stuff is tedious and annoying. They should have focused on implementing tools that make building fun and satisfying. Even something that should be easy and feel nice like building in a straight line is frustrating and error-prone. In minecraft I would make elaborate designs and have a great time gathering and building but here the whole process is so annoying that I can't bother creating anything sophisticated. Keeping track of your things is basically impossible. Stuff keeps piling on and good luck finding what you're after when you have 73 chest full of things and half of it looks unintelligible from the inventory screen. The game needs some kind of overlay that allows you to draft and snap your cursor to a visible grid. They could balance it by only allowing the mode around a stationary device.

The worst thing with starbound is how progress works. The loop is to get some upgrade that will allow you to progress to a new type of world where you get access to resources for your next level of upgrades.
On the fourth or so iteration through the loop I start to actively hate the game. I don't understand why I'm mining a next tier mineral for the nth time to create items with slightly better numbers just to do it all over again and again. You do exactly the same thing all the time, there's no progress in terms of gameplay. It feels so damn meaningless and empty.

As for questing, the main story line seems half decent but the procedural stuff is mind-numbingly boring.

The villages are pretty random. I think there they tend to follow the pattern the story suggests, but not necessarily. For example, I've found plenty of glitch and apex villages in gentle/temperate systems. And I've seen floran villages on later tier planets.

Landford

Banned
They need more then this, pleaseeeeee! Quickstack WTB. That is basically takes items in yoru inventory and will only put in storage if that item exists in storage. Plus many other standard features.

Floran villages and stuff can only be found on Low Threat planets? Or can be found on moderate?

Theres a mod who organizes storages better (Let you name them, for example), you can put itens inside a chest, then grab the chest and the itens will still be stored inside it, and the best one yet, makes a organize button on all storages just like player inventory. Mod its called Improved Containers on the workshop.

Theres a mod who organizes storages better (Let you name them, for example), you can put itens inside a chest, then grab the chest and the itens will still be stored inside it, and the best one yet, makes a organize button on all storages just like player inventory. Mod its called Improved Containers on the workshop.

Yeah it's item broadcaster.

I haven't quite gotten around to using it yet since I only just made the wiring station used to make the items that sort for you.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
If you're trying to get into the Discord, and the link is dead, PM me or Retro.
Here's a new link, hop on it while its up. (Quote this post to see link)

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
The villages are pretty random. I think there they tend to follow the pattern the story suggests, but not necessarily. For example, I've found plenty of glitch and apex villages in gentle/temperate systems. And I've seen floran villages on later tier planets.

For those "find the race and scan stuff" quests, you're not necessarily looking for JUST villages. You're looking for any village OR dungeon that's related to that race.

For example, I had to go to two planets for Floran. One was a Forest-type planet, the other was a desert. Both of them weren't Floran villages, but Floran dungeons (aka, they were hostile).

iosefe

If you're trying to get into the Discord, and the link is dead, PM me or Retro.
Here's a new link, hop on it while its up. (Quote this post to see link)

gracias.

so i'm guessing starter planets guarantee an instrument in the mine right?

I need to find Glitch dungeons or villages but I only found one glitch castle and I don't remember where it was.

Save some plant fibers so you can make flags to teleport to, and put them at these places if you're exploring.

I need to find Glitch dungeons or villages but I only found one glitch castle and I don't remember where it was.

Save some plant fibers so you can make flags to teleport to, and put them at these places if you're exploring.

My jaw literally dropped when I saw what flags do. It was only at a whim that I read the description...

Really good addition.

OmegaDL50

In my starter Solar System first planet I visited with a new character was a Desert planet looking for Tungsten to build one of those Environmental Protection Packs, instead ran into a huge Avian settlement. There was at least 15 to 20 buildings and roughly 100+ residents. It was really cool.

Especially the fact my character was also Avian.

Sarcasm

Are the quests found in villages endless? Or if I complete them all do I get something?

I have done like ten quests.

OmegaDL50

Are the quests found in villages endless? Or if I complete them all do I get something?

I have done like ten quests.

If you keep doing quests sometimes the NPCs will ask to join your crew which leads to the possibility of expanding your ship size and turning it into effectively mobile space station.

Dirt is great till you get challenge rooms
Then you want ropes to reach that hard to get chest

Has anyone gotten past their first planet? I still haven't found a single Core Fragment after hours of playing. :(
There should be a mine (dungeon) on your first planet that has a bunch of core fragments scattered around in crates. Try exploring the surface until you find it - if you keep walking in one direction you'll eventually return to your starting point, so that's a good way to scout whatever planet you're on. Alternatively, if you dig way deep down, core fragments will start showing up as mineable ore, and they glow so they're easy to spot. They're pretty far down, though, like near where lava starts appearing.

Kalentan

Core frags are in crates at the mine minidungeon

Or you dig down deep. Like as deep as you can. Core frags are near the core

There should be a mine (dungeon) on your first planet that has a bunch of core fragments scattered around in crates. Try exploring the surface until you find it - if you keep walking in one direction you'll eventually return to your starting point, so that's a good way to scout whatever planet you're on. Alternatively, if you dig way deep down, core fragments will start showing up as mineable ore, and they glow so they're easy to spot. They're pretty far down, though, like near where lava starts appearing.

Yup, ended up finding that by exploring the surface which I had neglected to do. Got super hyped when I found it!

Also is everyone's first world the same?

WaterAstro

Yup, ended up finding that by exploring the surface which I had neglected to do. Got super hyped when I found it!

Also is everyone's first world the same?

They're generally the same. Lush Tier 1 planet with a gateway and a mine full of core fragments. Anything else will be unique to that planet.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Decided to play with mods since I feel there was need for alot of improvement in some areas. using Frackin Universe and the race mod since it adds some flavor to the races.

Top Bottom