• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound |OT| Boundless...

Landford

Banned
bug with using mods or something?

If you are using fraking universe, for instance, and get that mission where you have to go to the lab (their tutorial for new players) you cant go back to an unmodded game on the same save, because whenever you open the mission panel, the game will crash.

Kalentan

This game is just amazing. Despite it being in the same genre as Minecraft and Terraria, it feels way more realized and more depth to it. Exploring really feels impactful and the sci-fi element is excellent.

Where can i find tungestan? The enemies in the depths deatroy me, yet I can't find any tungestan that is neccessary for crafting armor.
Also, how do you climb back up?
I just use dirt tiles to create stairs, but there is gotta be a better way(can't remember what I did in terraria)

WaterAstro

I bugged my crew member in multiplayer. For some reason, the crew came down with me even though it's an engineer. Warped back up and now there's three of the same crew....

Where can i find tungestan? The enemies in the depths deatroy me, yet I can't find any tungestan that is neccessary for crafting armor.
I just use dirt tiles to create stairs, but there is gotta be a better way(can't remember what I did in terraria)

Just warp back to the ship and back down to the planet.

Dirt is your best friend. When you see an enemy, surround yourself with dirt and mine your way out to safety.

Muzicfreq

Banned
If you are using fraking universe, for instance, and get that mission where you have to go to the lab (their tutorial for new players) you cant go back to an unmodded game on the same save, because whenever you open the mission panel, the game will crash.
Kinda don't plan to play unmodded.

Kalentan

Just a tip for new players like myself (well new as in haven't played in like over a year), is that apparently that mine shaft you find on your starter planet... Is also on the OTHER planets that are lush in your starter system. Got a bunch of upgrades from going to each of them.

VariantX

Maybe on another planet. Its pretty plentiful near the surface of some planets.

VariantX

How do i get to other planets?

You have to beat the first boss in order to repair your ship. Once done, you can sit in the pilots seat and select worlds in that star system to travel to. For interstellar FTL travel, you need fuel. build the thing that lets you survive in zero oxygen environments and collect crystals from moons or buy the liquid version of that fuel (much more expensive) .

OmegaDL50

If you look at the Galactic Map in your ships pilot seat you can see which planets have what resources you can find.

Tungsten is usually found on Desert or Forest Planets from what this menu shows.

Vex_

Banned
So what is everyone playing on. I finally got this and played on survival and was like "that's it?"

Then I died from hunger while underground. Holy shit. There was no way out of that situation. There's no food underground. So you're constantly watching that meter and it... just isn't fun doing that. You can go down there with like 20 stacks (if you're lucky enough to even find this) of steak, and the end up dead.... not to monsters, but to fucking hunger. And when that shit starts beeping? Guess what?

You're gonna fucking die and you're gonna love it. Why? Because fuck you that's why.

Is casual too easy though? Does casual just remove hunger and leave everything else as is? Because I don't want anything else to change.

lazygecko

You can hunt underground monsters (there are craftable and lootable ranged weapons like bows and throwing spears) for meat which you can cook for food. Even underground. There are sometimes other food sources underground as well like mushrooms.

Aselith

I don't understand what the game wants me to do like I'm on my first planet and it wants me to find Core Fragments? Aight but I can't actually make anything except like I made some spears. But there's nothing really to make that will help me get Core Fragments...so I'm just supposed to slowly dig with my matter manipulator I guess?

I've gone deep as fuck into some mines and temples and stuff and it's all just Iron Ore and Copper and Cobblestone that I can't make anything with because I have no recipes? The last release I played which was a long time ago but it had pickaxes and shit to help digging. I've made every single tool that's available for crafting and there's not shit to make.

lazygecko

Core fragments are close to the core at the lowest level, and they also glow making them easier to spot. You can also loot core fragments from containers in mines and there should always be a big mine somewhere on the starting planet (I think the entrance should be on the surface somewhere so you can just keep wandering above ground until you find it). You should be able to find enough core fragments just from the mine alone.

Pickaxes are now lootable very limited use items that dig significantly faster but break quickly. The matter manipulator is your main digging tool now and there's an upgrade progression (which you can access from the top right menu icons) using the upgrade items that you find.

Supernorn

Chucklefish (Starbound)
Those spinning radishes are the worst.

I do miss Terraria's day/night thing, where you could explore and be reasonably safe during the daytime and then build during the night. In Starbound, it feels like every screen has an enemy you need to grind through, and due to the progression there's really not much reason to build, but rather explore (due to changing planets). Leads to stockpiling of everything, hoarding of healing items, and a lot of very rote combat/crafting. At least that's been my experience in my couple hours of 1.0--I do imagine it changes once you can nab a "home planet."

It's not telegraphed but daytime in Starbound does feature less hostile creatures, and they are for the most part relatively small in size. Night is a lot more dangerous with larger monsters making an appearance, hostile birds etc.

Aselith

Core fragments are close to the core at the lowest level, and they also glow making them easier to spot. You can also loot core fragments from containers in mines and there should always be a big mine somewhere on the starting planet (I think the entrance should be on the surface somewhere so you can just keep wandering above ground until you find it). You should be able to find enough core fragments just from the mine alone.

Pickaxes are now lootable very limited use items that dig significantly faster but break quickly. The matter manipulator is your main digging tool now and there's an upgrade progression (which you can access from the top right menu icons) using the upgrade items that you find.

So the very first task they want me to do is dig to the actual center of the earth with a base level digging tool? Da fuck.

OmegaDL50

So what is everyone playing on. I finally got this and played on survival and was like "that's it?"

Then I died from hunger while underground. Holy shit. There was no way out of that situation. There's no food underground. So you're constantly watching that meter and it... just isn't fun doing that. You can go down there with like 20 stacks (if you're lucky enough to even find this) of steak, and the end up dead.... not to monsters, but to fucking hunger. And when that shit starts beeping? Guess what?

You're gonna fucking die and you're gonna love it. Why? Because fuck you that's why.

Is casual too easy though? Does casual just remove hunger and leave everything else as is? Because I don't want anything else to change.

I believe there is a sort of misconception going around because of the difficulty settings.

Like in the previous pages in this thread some folks looked at the word "casual" and automatically did not want to play on that mode just because of the connotation of that word, rather than understanding what the three difficulty modes actually mean in the context of the game.

In terms of combat and fighting enemies there is virtually no difference between the difficulty settings. Meaning a challenging fight in Casual would be no harder in Survival, and with the added risk of permanent death in Hardcore mode.

These are the only differences in the three difficulty settings.

Casual you don't get hungry and you don't drop items or ore upon death except for 10% of your Pixels, you can warp out of any dangerous situation back to the ship.

Survival you drop ore and items upon death and you get hungry. You drop 30% pixels upon death and you can only warp back to your ship from the surface of a planet, you cannot warp to your ship from underground.

Hardcore, Same as Survival in that you get hungry, except death is permanent.

Outside of these changes there enemies don't hit harder or do additional damage.

There are Mods on the Steam Workshop to adjust things accordingly, such as enabling hunger in casual mode, or disabling item drops in Survival (basically making the only changes the amount of Pixels you lose)

I don't understand what the game wants me to do like I'm on my first planet and it wants me to find Core Fragments? Aight but I can't actually make anything except like I made some spears. But there's nothing really to make that will help me get Core Fragments...so I'm just supposed to slowly dig with my matter manipulator I guess?

I've gone deep as fuck into some mines and temples and stuff and it's all just Iron Ore and Copper and Cobblestone that I can't make anything with because I have no recipes? The last release I played which was a long time ago but it had pickaxes and shit to help digging. I've made every single tool that's available for crafting and there's not shit to make.

Their should always be a Mine on the starter planet that has a bunch of crates that contain Core Fragments as well as a Mini-Boss that always drops 10 Core Fragments upon death.

WaterAstro

People having trouble with the spinning radish should really find a spear.

They are so good. You hold onto the attack button to make your spear stick out and do minor damage, but you constantly knock them back. Spears also have great range, and Rocket Spear is the best type for even more range. It's like having a flamethrower in a spear.

Aselith

Their should always be a Mine on the starter planet that has a bunch of crates that contain Core Fragments as well as a Mini-Boss that always drops 10 Core Fragments upon death.

I found the mine but there was a rabbit or whatever those whistley things are boss there that I killed and he didn't drop 10 of the cores. Can I speak to your manager please?

WaterAstro

I found the mine but there was a rabbit or whatever those whistley things are boss there that I killed and he didn't drop 10 of the cores. Can I speak to your manager please?

I found core fragments in the boxes and stuff. Didn't even have to mine to the centre of the planet.

Vex_

Banned
I believe there is a sort of misconception going around because of the difficulty settings.

Like in the previous pages in this thread some folks looked at the word "casual" and automatically did not want to play on that mode just because of the connotation of that word, rather than understanding what the three difficulty modes actually mean in the context of the game.

In terms of combat and fighting enemies there is virtually no difference between the difficulty settings. Meaning a challenging fight in Casual would be no harder in Survival, and with the added risk of permanent death in Hardcore mode.

These are the only differences in the three difficulty settings.

Casual you don't get hungry and you don't drop items or ore upon death except for 10% of your Pixels, you can warp out of any dangerous situation back to the ship.

Survival you drop ore and items upon death and you get hungry. You drop 30% pixels upon death and you can only warp back to your ship from the surface of a planet, you cannot warp to your ship from underground.

Hardcore, Same as Survival in that you get hungry, except death is permanent.

Outside of these changes there enemies don't hit harder or do additional damage.

There are Mods on the Steam Workshop to adjust things accordingly, such as enabling hunger in casual mode, or disabling item drops in Survival (basically making the only changes the amount of Pixels you lose)

See? Yea. Only change i want is no hunger. Being able to beam up from anywhere is lame, and doesn't actually make any "sense". You should have to make it back to the surface to beam up. So I guess I just need the mod that disables hunger on survival?

Everything else I can handle. Those spinny fucks are annoying tho.

Gonna make a new game i guess...

Sarcasm

See? Yea. Only change i want is no hunger. Being able to beam up from anywhere is lame, and doesn't actually make any "sense". You should have to make it back to the surface to beam up. So I guess I just need the mod that disables hunger on survival?

Everything else I can handle. Those spinny fucks are annoying tho.

Gonna make a new game i guess...

Mod it out yo!

Now that I got off planet...will there eventually be a store to buy picks?

Even better: you can upgrade your matter manipulator to make it better in the main hub area. Improve the range, speed of disintegration, size of its target area, and you can get it to take liquids, etc.

It costs, uh... Matter Manipulator Modules or something like that, though. You will find them in certain areas and as quest rewards AFAIK. You'll need about 8 to improve the speed (which will instantly feel as slow as before, lol), 13 to improve the area of effect, 3 to take liquids, and more for the techs behind these respective upgrades.
People having trouble with the spinning radish should really find a spear.

They are so good. You hold onto the attack button to make your spear stick out and do minor damage, but you constantly knock them back. Spears also have great range, and Rocket Spear is the best type for even more range. It's like having a flamethrower in a spear.
I'd go with guns personally, but the damage on all of the ones I've found is terrible. So right now I'm settling for acid knife and freezing pistol...
It's not telegraphed but daytime in Starbound does feature less hostile creatures, and they are for the most part relatively small in size. Night is a lot more dangerous with larger monsters making an appearance, hostile birds etc.

Oh wow, had no idea. Since it didn't have zombies popping up everywhere I just assumed it made no difference. I'll have to pay more attention in the future.

Xater

Mod it out yo!

I'm not seeing a mod to disable hunger on survival in the Workshop. Maybe I should just start over on casual. I like everything about the game except the hunger mechanic.

Or maybe I'll just go with the slow hunger mod which might make the mechanic more to my taste. Then at least I don#t have to completely ignore farming which might still be interesting.

Sarcasm

I'm not seeing a mod to disable hunger on survival in the Workshop. Maybe I should just start over on casual. I like everything about the game except the hunger mechanic.

Or maybe I'll just go with the slow hunger mod which might make the mechanic more to my taste. Then at least I don#t have to completely ignore farming which might still be interesting.

You make it. Or just convert your current save to casual. Or yeah a slower hunger would be better.

So is it safe to switch to Frakkin if I'm in the middle of the game? Does it change/screw up the story quests at all?

I've only just scratched the surface of the game, but more "stuff" always sounds cool to me.

Xater

You make it. Or just convert your current save to casual. Or yeah a slower hunger would be better.

Yeah, decided to go with the slow hunger mod. It now takes an hour to get hungry instead of 25 minutes. That seems way better to me.

Vex_

Banned

I think I just found a mod we can use???

http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/tanz-hunger-overhaul.3354/

- Slows hunger drain to 90% over 60 minutes
- Reduces compound starvation damage
- Reduces food worth
- Slows hunger regeneration
- Eating provides a small amount of healing
- Beds slow hunger drain by 30%

Only 90% hungry after an hour? Not bad I guess. For now.

EDIT: Oh? You found the same one I think?

Farming with the Garden bot mod is pretty cool. The bots will automatically water crops, pick them, and put them into containers for you while you are out adventuring. There are also Guardian bots to defend your other worker bots.

OmegaDL50

In regards to the Hunger annoyance, at lot of the problems somewhat alleviated themselves once I got a Bow. It's convenient being to just take out a weak creature with a Bow and they drop a Raw Meat all the time and just cook it in a Campfire to make Steaks.

One thing I would have liked if higher tiers of food had a longer full status. I haven't seen any point to make higher level of foods beyond Steaks and Meat Dumplings.

I think a Satiation status effect needs to be implemented if you eat a high ranked food it will slow the hunger bar for a preset duration, with the highest tier foods having the longest effect in slowing the hunger meter.

The game is only out for 3 days and it already has so many mods...quite amazing

Some of the mods actually have been made over the years when the game was still in Early Access, some of them being so good, the devs got permission to implement them into the main game as actual content.

Also most of the existing mods that have been around for awhile that worked on the previous beta / early access versions of Starbound were basically updated to work with version 1.0

Sarcasm

So a NPC joined me on my ship. No quest to expand ship though =/

BTW how do you breathe underwater? I mean what can you craft.

kafiend

Farming with the Garden bot mod is pretty cool. The bots will automatically water crops, pick them, and put them into containers for you while you are out adventuring. There are also Guardian bots to defend your other worker bots.

I wonder if they will defend them against my crew who like to use the Garden bot as target practice.

Has the frame rate gotten more stable since the beta?

I havent played in a year but I remember I was getting low FPS at times and this game shouldnt require exceptional hardware. I will re-install tonight and try again.

Also is there any way to break down old weapons or should I just sell them? Starting to clog my inventory and bank.

there's a mod that adds a deconstruction machine. it's almost a little too effective in that you can get some pretty rare materials pretty easy that way.

I don't mind though.

Has the frame rate gotten more stable since the beta?

I havent played in a year but I remember I was getting low FPS at times and this game shouldnt require exceptional hardware. I will re-install tonight and try again.

Seems shit to me. Running on a Fury X and there was one challenge room where there were tons of flames and my frame rate had to be around 10FPS... made it really tough. It seems like in general whenever there's lots of props or particle effects the frame rate suffers a bit.

Gurrry

Dude it's amazing. I feel like it is the perfect balance. It keeps the challenge while still making it a fun mechanic. It is like a whole different game now! I love it. Started a new game with it and am already feeling better about it.

YES! Im gonna use this. The hunger mechanic as is, for me, is just not fun.

Top Bottom