• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound |OT| Boundless...

There is another hunger mod that does more than just slow it down. I've been running largely vanilla hunger since I find it really easy to manage.

But this is the one I might use:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=729456269&searchtext=hunger

- Slows hunger drain to 90% over 60 minutes
- Reduces compound starvation damage
- Reduces food worth
- Slows hunger regeneration
- Eating provides a small amount of healing
- Beds slow hunger drain by 30%
- Increased base rot timer (All food should last twice as long as it used to.)

WaterAstro

My one crew member keeps duplicating in the multiplayer server. Now I have 5.

I'd go with guns personally, but the damage on all of the ones I've found is terrible. So right now I'm settling for acid knife and freezing pistol...

Yeah exactly. They're all terrible damage early on, and reliant on energy.

You need a spear for protection.

My one crew member keeps duplicating in the multiplayer server. Now I have 5.

I had the same problem in MP. Just have all the duplicates follow you on the planet at once. Only one should come and the rest should disappear. But it seems like a reoccuring problem. At one point I had almost 3 times my crew size in duplicates.

35D4514068A05678DC20A9C29D06C2527164BDD6

Ishmae1

I almost wanted to quit when my EPP cold upgrade destroyed the light II mod which was attached to it, especially since I can't find any shop that sells mods, and there was no way to remove a mod. Is there a shop I'm missing?

Now I have to juggle my xenon light and the radiation pack when exploring radiated planets, since the xenon pack produces no light when in the cosmetic slot - I get why, but for lights, it feels broken. Getting really tired of exploring in the dark, or with 1H/Flashlight as my only light source, constantly switching to torches.

Also, I've done a bunch of quests for planetary colonies, I've got 2 crystals in the door plus all side bosses down, two ship upgrades done, some decent weapons, and zero crew members. Again, am I missing something about how you get them?

Ruuppa

I almost wanted to quit when my EPP cold upgrade destroyed the light II mod which was attached to it, especially since I can't find any shop that sells mods, and there was no way to remove a mod. Is there a shop I'm missing?

Now I have to juggle my xenon light and the radiation pack when exploring radiated planets, since the xenon pack produces no light when in the cosmetic slot - I get why, but for lights, it feels broken. Getting really tired of exploring in the dark, or with 1H/Flashlight as my only light source, constantly switching to torches.

I don't get why the EPP upgrades break when you switch a new one. Seems like a silly oversight.

Totally snagging that hunger slowdown mod, the normal hunger can be brutal.

Purkake4

Banned
I don't get why the EPP upgrades break when you switch a new one. Seems like a silly oversight.

Totally snagging that hunger slowdown mod, the normal hunger can be brutal.
The 3 years of early access feels less like an iterative process and more just throwing things at the wall and then just deciding to ship what they had from the latest attempt.

I unlocked the highest planet types and feel pretty much done now.

Morokh

Also, I've done a bunch of quests for planetary colonies, I've got 2 crystals in the door plus all side bosses down, two ship upgrades done, some decent weapons, and zero crew members. Again, am I missing something about how you get them?

Usually when the same NPC gives you a chain of 3-4 quests in succession it has a very good chance to ask to come on your ship.
And sometimes you just encounter a random NPC that wants to come with you.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I played a lot of this over the weekend. Only have the first boss down in the main storyline, spent most of my time exploring and building and playing around. What's up with that moon monster who floats around? I don't remember that from before, LOL!

Loving the game, but I do have one complaint so far:

These are the only differences in the three difficulty settings.

Casual you don't get hungry and you don't drop items or ore upon death except for 10% of your Pixels, you can warp out of any dangerous situation back to the ship.

Survival you drop ore and items upon death and you get hungry. You drop 30% pixels upon death and you can only warp back to your ship from the surface of a planet, you cannot warp to your ship from underground.

Hardcore, Same as Survival in that you get hungry, except death is permanent.

I wish there was more configurability with the difficulty settings. I picked survival for my character but I'm now using the "no item drop" mod so that I don't lose items on death. The hunger I can deal with via gameplay, but the item drops seems a tad extreme to me. The hunger timer does seem fast though, I might look into getting that slow hunger mod.

Other than that though the game rocks!

OmegaDL50

Seems there is one Floran at the Outpost who always seems to follow you everywhere when you go there.

This the one that says it wants to explore the universe.

I'd figure it would ask to join you at one point. I guess not.

Icefire1424

This is so much more fun now that it's out of early access. I really like that the quest system, feels like there is actually a story in the game now.

That said, I'm still getting owned. Got my ass kicked by a bunch of penguins. Methinks I need better weapons.

Yeah exactly. They're all terrible damage early on, and reliant on energy.

You need a spear for protection.

...dammit
Seems there is one Floran at the Outpost who always seems to follow you everywhere when you go there.

This the one that says it wants to explore the universe.

I'd figure it would ask to join you at one point. I guess not.

Huh, I noticed that Floran myself. I assumed it was following me because my dude was also Floran, but I guess not.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i reallly hope they arent deleting characters again at some random point. they deleted them like 3 times after they said they wouldnt again.

anyway, i'm casual-ing it up and having more fun than usual actually. I like how they simplified the beginning of the game and made it more streamlined. The 3D Printer being gone makes me not want to preserve everything I find and waste time with that thing.

i read it comes back later, but seems like its way down the line so i'm not going to try to collect everything like i usually did when playing until that point.

beaming up from underground is cheap but i like it a lot more than having to waste time and climb all the way back up. you can also rush through dungeons and just beam out even while in combat, so that saves me time :p

Ok, I found a new gun to replace my Flamethrower.

Alient Tentacle Gun. I am not joking. It's a gun that whips enemies with tentacles.

My Floran is now officially a tentacle monster.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So where's GAF Prime at? When I logged onto the server I was immediately in FTL and came out on a random planet. Did it just respawn me at a random planet when I joined the server? It's definitely a starter planet, it has a lot of the same landmarks even.

So where's GAF Prime at? When I logged onto the server I was immediately in FTL and came out on a random planet. Did it just respawn me at a random planet when I joined the server? It's definitely a starter planet, it has a lot of the same landmarks even.

No GAF World yet. And everyone starts on a random starter world.

Need to establish the coords for a GAF World. I'd say we do what we did in the past, use a system closest to 0,0

WaterAstro

Ok, I found a new gun to replace my Flamethrower.

Alient Tentacle Gun. I am not joking. It's a gun that whips enemies with tentacles.

My Floran is now officially a tentacle monster.

Yeah I got a couple of those. Pretty OP.

I should try it on the Apex Boss and see how fast it kills it.

So I decided to play this game for the first time in over a year, and I can't :(. The mouse is stuck in some invisible smaller window and I can't hit the play button or even the exit button.

Sucks. Hoping for a quick patch.

Morokh

anyway, i'm casual-ing it up and having more fun than usual actually. I like how they simplified the beginning of the game and made it more streamlined. The 3D Printer being gone makes me not want to preserve everything I find and waste time with that thing.

i read it comes back later, but seems like its way down the line so i'm not going to try to collect everything like i usually did when playing until that point.

Just unlocked it, I don't know how it used to work, but I have listed in it every item I ever scanned with the new scanning tool (the Magnifying glass).

I feel like if more people knew about it we'd have less complaints about storage space problems xD

Also, I really LOVE the farming/cooking system in this game.

Oh, and if you thought some of the cosmetic Items were crazy, wait untill you see some of the higher level planet types ..... xD

Mengy

The 3D Printer being gone makes me not want to preserve everything I find and waste time with that thing. i read it comes back later, but seems like its way down the line so i'm not going to try to collect everything like i usually did when playing until that point.

Ah, I was wondering where the3D printer had gone. I’ve got a bunch of blueprints already that I saved because I knew the printer was somewhere.

I like building things in Starbound more than in Terraria, I’m just not sure why exactly. The games are so similar, seems strange that I would like building in one and not so much in the other?

OmegaDL50

I understand only 6 races are playable as default for the context of the story with the Protectorate and the Six artifacts that represent each of the races.

However there seems to be other races you can encounter in the game that aren't playable.

I ran into a Frog Race living some huts on a desert planet, they didn't say anything or had any dialog for that matter, Cat folks. Some even warp into the Outpost and leave, so these Cat race has animations to attack walk and jump, so it seems like a simple thing to implement. Same applies for even an Alpaca race.

Although the Alpaca seem to be rather larger compared to other races, so if they were playable they might have a caveat of being durable but have slow movement.

At least there is Mods for this sort of thing.

lazygecko

I understand only 6 races are playable as default for the context of the story with the Protectorate and the Six artifacts that represent each of the races.

However there seems to be other races you can encounter in the game that aren't playable.

I ran into a Frog Race living some huts on a desert planet, they didn't say anything or had any dialog for that matter, Cat folks. Some even warp into the Outpost and leave, so these Cat race has animations to attack walk and jump, so it seems like a simple thing to implement. Same applies for even an Alpaca race.

Although the Alpaca seem to be rather larger compared to other races, so if they were playable they might have a caveat of being durable but have slow movement.

At least there is Mods for this sort of thing.

Still waiting for orks to be modded into the game.

Vex_

Banned
There is another hunger mod that does more than just slow it down. I've been running largely vanilla hunger since I find it really easy to manage.

But this is the one I might use:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=729456269&searchtext=hunger

That's the same one I posted. Lol. It's good, eh?

Also question:

Is there a way to breathe on moons? Sucks trying that you only last like 30 seconds before you start suffocating. Is it the same mask you build for underwater breathing?

Does anyone elses FPS go to shit when it starts raining on some planets?

I wonder why this is happening only to some people?

My game has been flawless from the beginning. I have heard that being zoomed all the way out causes issues with fps? I don't do that, but maybe that's why?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Just unlocked it, I don't know how it used to work, but I have listed in it every item I ever scanned with the new scanning tool (the Magnifying glass).

I feel like if more people knew about it we'd have less complaints about storage space problems xD

Also, I really LOVE the farming/cooking system in this game.

Oh, and if you thought some of the cosmetic Items were crazy, wait untill you see some of the higher level planet types ..... xD

You had to throw the item itself into the machine and spend pixels to add it to the list. You wouldn't know what was in the list unless you remembered or tried to add it again and it didnt work. It would also only take one item and not split stacks.

I'm glad it sounds like the magnifying glass will do the job for us then. I'll have to start scanning everything for sure. That's a great change and I don't have to dick around with the inventory as much.

Ah, I was wondering where the3D printer had gone. I’ve got a bunch of blueprints already that I saved because I knew the printer was somewhere.

I like building things in Starbound more than in Terraria, I’m just not sure why exactly. The games are so similar, seems strange that I would like building in one and not so much in the other?

Blueprints you just learn though. They added a ton of stuff to the crafting menus that you had to scan into the 3D printer before.

Just learn all of the blueprints you can. It's weird that the Codexes don't disappear after you learn them but you can sell them for more pixels so that's fine with me I guess.

Anyone play Nom Nom Galaxy? The Terramart Shipments thing is a total reference to that game. Is there some sort of automated farming thing that happens in the game at all later on?

Anyway to hide the ugly backarmor or EEP?
Was trying to kill Dreadwing but my weapons sucks, I really really want that cometic Penguin costume. Even if I kill the boss I'm still too poor to get it :/

Retro

1.0.1 – Changelog

Hey everyone!

With our concurrent players peaking at 62,000 on Steam over the weekend, I think it’s safe to say Starbound’s launch out of Early Access was a success! There are always going to be a few kinks to work out after a big update, though, so since Friday night we’ve been scanning the forums/subreddit/social media to figure out what issues people have been having and how we might fix them.
We’re still looking into some issues and will continue to push fixes as we fix things, but for now we’ve fixed these things:

• Devalue material items to fix exploits crafting materials from other materials
  • Fix a couple of mislabeled key bindings
  • Make Erchius Ghosts immune to lava
  • Replace ropes in intro mission with healing items
  • Fix a bug which caused certain parts of the Glitch mission to reset in multiplayer
  • Fix a bug in server /ban command
  • Fix a case of undefined server behavior in transferring players between worlds
  • Fix several bugs with quest manager stagehands
  • Fix mossy packed dirt block recipe unlock
  • Fix a couple of item categories and descriptions
  • Fix physics effect abilities being able to move story NPCs, Erchius Ghosts, and certain bosses
  • Update window title
  • Add more Lua API documentation

If you’re still finding yourself unable to launch the game at all, please check this thread. So far, we’ve found that those solutions seem to work for most people!

If you’re still unable to play Starbound, please send an email to contact@chucklefish.org with information about your computer’s specs, an error log, and what is happening when you try to launch.

<3

&#8216;Til next time! (source)

No GAF World yet. And everyone starts on a random starter world.

Need to establish the coords for a GAF World. I'd say we do what we did in the past, use a system closest to 0,0

I scouted for planets yesterday, looking for Lush worlds (no hazards / annoying weather) in systems with a few moons (for fuel), located near other Gentle Stars.

Ended up picking "Celestal Grasp V" at 1073 / 1084 and started building. We have a Hospital and Cafe currently, adding an arcade and shops shortly.

Mengy

Blueprints you just learn though. They added a ton of stuff to the crafting menus that you had to scan into the 3D printer before.

Just learn all of the blueprints you can.

Oh shit, so the blueprints are now things you can craft outside of the 3D printer? LOL, I have a 24 space chest almost full of blueprints and here I can simply learn them to craft the stuff right now!

Also, the fact that the hand scanner is now tied to the 3D printer recipes sounds freaking fantastic. If I'm reading that right it means we don't have to pillage one of everything in the game in order to later make them ourselves, is that right? If so that is a very excellent change from how it used to work!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Aw, nothing on performance :(

Edit: Oh. They went with OpenGL for the final release. That explains everything, I always ran the beta in DirectX mode, that ran better.

Edit #2: Odd, nothing mentioned about performance but it runs at a locked 60 in full screen now. Nice. Outpost is still shit like usual though.

Found a rainbow sword that's pretty amazing, using Tesla's Wrath Sniper rifle and Deus Ex Machina rocketlauncher.

Decked out in seeker gear and ready to find some GODDAMN GLITCH VILLAGES FFFFF

Also question:

Is there a way to breathe on moons? Sucks trying that you only last like 30 seconds before you start suffocating. Is it the same mask you build for underwater breathing?

Use the EPP (environmental protection pack) that you build from the anvil crafting station. This lets you breath everywhere.

Drazgul

1.0.1 - Changelog

Is it generally speaking safe to use these along with FrackinUniverse if it hasn't yet been updated? Or could even small bug fix patches mess up your character & universe files? Sucks how Steam still doesn't give you an option to never update a game, only delay it until you launch it.

How do you equip epp augments? It says right click but that just lets me move the item.

I added it to my EPP as I was wearing it, try that.

OmegaDL50

Also question:

SAIL brings this up in a tutorial if you cleared the Erchius Mining Facility mission.

You'll need to craft a EPP (Environmental Protection Pack)

It requires Tungsten, Glass, and Living Root.

duckroll

Holy fuck. Starbound sure went through a total transformation. Totally unrecognizable from the beta days. It's actually a game now! I was just trying to test it out to see how it was, and ended up playing like 4 hours. Wow.

Adnor

Banned
How are the guns now? I don't like the melee combat in this game but I remember the guns not being so good in the older versions.

Drazgul

^ Tried googling that myself earlier and don't think so, the pokeballs apparently don't work on them.

How are the guns now? I don't like the melee combat in this game but I remember the guns not being so good in the older versions.

Melee weapons are a lot better now, esp. two-handers that have unique special attacks.

Ranged still a bit underpowered, tho I haven't found any legendaries yet.

Top Bottom