• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound |OT| Boundless...

Landford

Banned
Wyndstrykers 6 Basic Survival Tips for Newbies:

1: Torches are your means of light as well as tracking your way back to the surface when mining. Always have a ton of them

2: If you're digging shallow, you don't really need torches to light the ground. Just mine the background and light will shine in.

3: Keep a bed on you. Beds or tents or something. If you run out of healing items, you can always wall yourself in and use a bed to heal.

4: Always mark your landing spot. This way you will know if you've circled the planet. When on Gafserver it also helps other players know that the planet is explored already. A torch or some out of place dirt helps. Not a tree, especially one that matches the biome.

5: Check every chest. Dunno what you'll find.

6: Like minecraft, never dig directly down. Might end up in lava...like in minecraft.

I'll post more when I remember them lol.

Adding some more tips, if you dont mind.

7: If you find cotton plants (Little white balls of cotton on the starter planet) pick them up with the manipulator and plant them. Cotton is kinda hard to find, you want a steady supply of them.

8: Get your techs early. Its the scientist near the Outpost that asks for mineral bars.

9: Crafted armor makes a huge difference. they boost your attack as awell.

My tips:

1. Ropes are awesome. Easy to make and lets you get up places easy early on. Later in the game you can craft a grapling hook which functions like the rope but has unlimited uses.

2. Flares are awesome. They not only light the area up big time, they also show metals that are several blocks away from sight, way more than torches. Yellow syringes are great. Early on you can buy them from vendors on planets. While in effect, you glow.

3. You don't have to go mining to progress, even from the very start. I've not gone into mining at all since release. You can find gear to buy from merchants on the planets you visit. You can also loot lots of ores from chests if you're vigilant about checking every container. You can also buy bars from the outpost once you finish the quest (make a teddy bear). You can buy some crafting mats from the outpost. In short, you have options.

4. Biggest risk of mining straight down is you might break a block then fall and die from impact. Lava actually glows and can be seen from a distance.

5. While you sleep, your hunger bar doesn't drain much if at all.

edit:

6. Once you unlock scan mode for your manipulator, that thing has the largest flashlight and doesn't take up an inventory slot. You can't wield it with a pistol or other 1 hand weapon, but it's great.

7. If you upgrade the spinning wheel, you can create a flag. Once you plant the flag, interact with it to name it. Then you can use any teleporter to teleport directly to the flag. This is very useful for warping directly to your (or your friend's planet base). And its much easier to get than buying a teleporter. It does take titanium to upgrade the spinning wheel though.

2: If you're digging shallow, you don't really need torches to light the ground. Just mine the background and light will shine in.

These are all great tips for newbies, especially this one. Made my tunnel exploration significantly easie!

Retro

For those of us that are new to this game, I wish they showed more Starship Gameplay. Is there Starship Gameplay (Ship Battles, damage/repair, boardings?

It's not in 1.0, but it's something they said they'd like to do in the future. The reason it took so long to get through EA is because they were basically building a very open-ended engine to build a ton of content into later. That, and allow players to mod everything like crazy, there's already a completely new race on the Workshop and I'd bet 10k Pixels the Vulpes and Avali from beta are on there before Monday too.

From what I remember Apex had the coolest armor design. Going to start with one of those.

In case anyone is curious, here's a decent page so you can see what you'd be able to craft; http://starbound.wikia.com/wiki/Armor

Keep in mind, however, that there's no racial restriction, meaning if you REALLY want to play a human who wears Apex armor (like I do!), you can swap with someone online or craft it on one character, store it on a planet, then head there on a second.

And you can also dye armor, so if that set you're after is perfect except for being bright red, you can change it.

Is it cool to build a temporary home around a small NPC camp? She already has some tents, storage and a campfire there...

Yeah, they shouldn't react badly to that. The little guys out in the middle of no where don't really care what you do. It's the ones that are in villlages and stuff that raise a ruckus if you start stealing their stuff or shooting your gun off in the middle of town.

Aren't there something like thousands of planets in the game?

Actually, according to one dev;

The celestial hierarchy works as follows:

You have sectors. Sectors take a 64-bit seed. Currently, we have 3 sectors defined, for release we're planning on 10.

Each sector contains systems (currently only star systems). There is a 1 in 100 chance that any given XY coordinate contains a system, and the coordinates range from -100 million to 100 million. Meaning there are on average 200 million ^ 2 / 100 systems per sector, or 400 trillion. (Z coordinate also ranges from -100 million to 100 million and is calculated as a checksum of the first two numbers iirc).

Each system can contain up to 12 planets, the exact probability depends on the type of the system, but average number of planets in a system is currently (2.0 * 0.2 * 12 + 3.0 * 0.6 * 11 + 1.0 * 0.4 * 10 + 1.0 * 0.4 * 10) / 7.0 ~= 4.657

Each planet could either be a terrestrial planet or a gas giant. And may have up to 12 moons (I believe?). Each moon is a terrestrial body and landable, gas giants are not.

The average number of moons for a planet is ( 2.0 * 0.1 * 12 + 1.0 * 0.2 * 12) / 3 = 1.6 moons / planet. And the probability that the planet itself can be landed on is 2/3.

This gives 3 * 400 trillion * (4.657 * 1.6 + 4.657 * 2 / 3) = 12.667 quadrillion planets in the game currently. 422.22 quadrillion planets expected for release. And if you're into modding the game and unlocking arbitrary sectors you can access up to 77.88 decillion different worlds.

Yeeeeeep.

I know each server is it's own "instance", but curious if and how a server hosting maaaaaaaaaaany players is a possibility. Think it would be kindof cool having a home planet out there, knowing there's a very real threat of some other player stumbling upon it. Then killing that player for getting too "snoopy".

I swear I saw someone on Reddit trying to set up an "MMO server" with room for thousands of players. As someone who enjoys building, the ability to grief would make that experience unenjoyable, at least until they implement ways to lock planets / areas down.

Then there's Retro who needs several star systems just to calm his building addiction

To be fair, I tend to find a section of the universe with easily-remembered coordinates and a variety of stars and stay in my own little area. I wouldn't expect some absurd Retro Empire stretching across the stars or anything. =p

1: Torches are your means of light as well as tracking your way back to the surface when mining. Always have a ton of them

3: Keep a bed on you. Beds or tents or something. If you run out of healing items, you can always wall yourself in and use a bed to heal.

4: Always mark your landing spot. This way you will know if you've circled the planet. When on Gafserver it also helps other players know that the planet is explored already. A torch or some out of place dirt helps. Not a tree, especially one that matches the biome.

5: Check every chest. Dunno what you'll find.

6: Like minecraft, never dig directly down. Might end up in lava...like in minecraft.

Some additions to your list.

3. Everyone's starting planet will have a mine mini-dungeon in it, and there's tents galore down there. I make a habit of keeping a tent and campfire on me at all times.

4. I use the racial flag (1 copper bar, 20 woven fabric, so you'll need a furnace and a spinning wheel). Not only is it very distinct, but you can also teleport to it from anywhere, even after you go off planet.

5. I just destroy every chest. I can always use the storage and that way I never go "Oooh, a chest!" for one I've already cleared out. Also, you can tap Alt and it will highlight any object you can interact with... kind of a sneaky way to find chests in the dark.

6. More likely, you slip out into a chasm and fall to your death. Lava is just as good though!

9: Crafted armor makes a huge difference. they boost your attack as awell.

Yeah, weapons have a fairly shallow range per tier, so most of your attack power is going to come from armor upgrades. They also boost your defense, energy and total health.

1. Ropes are awesome. Easy to make and lets you get up places easy early on. Later in the game you can craft a grapling hook which functions like the rope but has unlimited uses.

Best part; you can use them with a single hand, so pair it with a flashlight so you can scope things out as you lower yourself down. VERY useful.

7. If you upgrade the spinning wheel, you can create a flag.

Racial Flags can be crafted straight from the menu without any kind of work station, unless it changes based on difficulty.

Holy cow did this game ever get thick with stuff, I'm really digging the different mechanics, it seems like you can really go in a lot of different directions right from the beginning. I really think the UI could be a little more informative but aside from that this seems like it's going to be a huge time sink. Stoked!

I was a little worried about the character wipe, but I'm already almost back to where I was before. Everything feels a bit more streamlined.

I'm running into frequent FPS issues though. Sometimes in fights the action pauses for half a second, and I'm hurt/dead when it comes back. And the town is running very choppy.

My computer is in great shape, so are there any settings I can tweak to get it running better?

I haven't played this in forever, really like what they did with a lot of stuff. I'm especially really liking the new hotbar. Haven't played much so don't have much else to say yet, but I am disappointed in the performance, I thought it'd be a rock solid 60fps by now. I like to play on the furthest zoom level, but weather and areas like the outpost still cause me to drop a lot of frames, heck even downing trees causes noticable dips. It's pretty solid at the default zoom level, but I hope they improve things some more.

I was a little worried about the character wipe, but I'm already almost back to where I was before. Everything feels a bit more streamlined.

I'm running into frequent FPS issues though. Sometimes in fights the action pauses for half a second, and I'm hurt/dead when it comes back. And the town is running very choppy.

My computer is in great shape, so are there any settings I can tweak to get it running better?
Yeah I had a few problems with the pauses, sometimes seeing enemies teleport and hurt me. I'm running the game on an SSD with 8GB RAM, a FX8350 and a 660ti...

mileS

You playing on zoom level 2x? (Zoomed out) that is very taxing still.

Havent played it in awhile. Started playing and noticed the beginning is completely different.

Started exploring the first planet and found the first dungeon and boss. Took down easy but was fun.

Lots of crates and a lot of throwable weapons too.

All in all, loving it. I just wish they had controller option. I suck at playing with keyboards.

Also, thank Retro for creating the thread and for all the contribution over the years keeping GAf updated on the game. You rock! :)

I tried adding you on Steam but found several people with the same name and couldnt find you. Dont know if the name on your profile on GAF is the one you use.

Anyway, my Steam ID: Raijin_Cain

If you or anyone else wants to add me. :)

NG28

I was going to go with survival difficulty but it says you drop items on death. Surely you don't drop your entire inventory? Is that the recommended difficulty?

Dennis

Banned
Is everyone playing Survival?

How feasible is it for me to play on Hardcore?

Relevant info: This is my first time playing.

You playing on zoom level 2x? (Zoomed out) that is very taxing still.

3x. I don't think it's on my end since I can run games like Doom on max settings.

But I'm not very computer savvy, so I donno.

I feel like there are a number of cheap ways to die, and while improved, the combat isn't the greatest. So I personally wouldn't recommend it. Unless you like the thrill of being randomly killed over a single mistake.

Grinchy

Banned
So is anyone using the Steam controller? I'm wondering if you've found any good configs or specific settings you've chosen.

3x. I don't think it's on my end since I can run games like Doom on max settings.

But I'm not very computer savvy, so I donno.

I feel like there are a number of cheap ways to die, and while improved, the combat isn't the greatest. So I personally wouldn't recommend it. Unless you like the thrill of being randomly killed over a single mistake.

Not even making a mistake can kill you. This game LOVES to throw random asteroids and meteors to your head. Too many times I'm just walking casually then BOOM HEADSHOT by a meteor

OmegaDL50

Both have the same difficulty in terms of enemies damage output and hazards hurting you and whatnot. The difference between Survival and Hardcore is death is permanent for the latter.

You ever play Terraria? Can you imagine dying randomly and losing all of your progress. That is what Hardcore mode would be like for Starbound.

Anyone playing with a 360 Controller for Windows?

This game doesn't have controller support.............yet.

Now unless you were talking about setting it up using something like XPadder, I suppose it's possible, however combat and interacting with objects is all done via mouse pointer, so I don't know how you'd emulate that in Xpadder without it coming off as cumbersome.

aravuus

I went with casual and haven't regretted it for a second. Not a fan of losing items on death, it's a much more relaxing experience like this.

Not even making a mistake can kill you. This game LOVES to throw random asteroids and meteors to your head. Too many times I'm just walking casually then BOOM HEADSHOT by a meteor

Lol. I guess I've been lucky enough to avoid that. Still pretty hilarious, but man I'd be pissed if permadeath was on.

I went with casual and haven't regretted it for a second. Not a fan of losing items on death, it's a much more relaxing experience like this.
Same, and there is already a mod that adds the hunger system to casual if you still want that part of the game.

Dennis

Banned
Both have the same difficulty in terms of enemies damage output and hazards hurting you and whatnot. The difference between Survival and Hardcore is death is permanent for the latter.

You ever play Terraria? Can you imagine dying randomly and losing all of your progress. That is what Hardcore mode would be like for Starbound.

This game doesn't have controller support.............yet.

Now unless you were talking about setting it up using something like XPadder, I suppose it's possible, however combat and interacting with objects is all done via mouse pointer, so I don't know how you'd emulate that in Xpadder without it coming off as cumbersome.

I'd love to...

If there was controller support

Fuck, no controller support?

Any idea when that might be coming?

Shouldn't they have had that ready for version 1.0 ......?

DarkestHour

Banned
Need to figure out the toolbar and what the two slots per numbered slot do. Seems I can only put one item in but there are two slots.

Retro

Also, thank Retro for creating the thread and for all the contribution over the years keeping GAf updated on the game. You rock! :)

I tried adding you on Steam but found several people with the same name and couldnt find you. Dont know if the name on your profile on GAF is the one you use.

Anyway, my Steam ID: Raijin_Cain

If you or anyone else wants to add me. :)

Aww, thanks! Added you just now.

Also, big daddy Poptop in the mine is an itty bitty mini-dungeon boss. The bosses that appear in the missions are straight up 16-bit console style fights.

I was going to go with survival difficulty but it says you drop items on death. Surely you don't drop your entire inventory? Is that the recommended difficulty?

I'm fairly certain you drop ore and non-equipped loot. Armor and weapons stay. I believe building materials stay as well. Raw ore, furniture, etc. is dropped. It may have been a bug, but when I was playing unstable metal bars didn't drop, just the ore did.

You can be digging, not notice the ground beneath you is thin, and fall to your death pretty easily. If you're just playing it, Casual would be my recommendation.

That's what I'm doing too, planning to add the mod that introduces hunger to casual mode, just because I like that survivalist element in these kind of games. Loosing all of my stuff though? Bleeech

Need to figure out the toolbar and what the two slots per numbered slot do. Seems I can only put one item in but there are two slots.

Some items only require one hand to use, like your flashlight.

Holy fuck dropping items is infuriating. You think you've got exactly what you need and then BAM you never make it back to the surface. The language that I've spewed... I enjoy hunger actually but I might switch to casual to have a better time.... All that ore....

Zukuu

Banned
Holy fuck dropping items is infuriating. You think you've got exactly what you need and then BAM you never make it back to the surface. The language that I've spewed... I enjoy hunger actually but I might switch to casual to have a better time.... All that ore....
If it's anything like Terraria, yeah dropping items is anti-fun. I've read above that there is already a mod to enable "hunger in casual". Might be worth checking out.

DarkestHour

Banned
Some items only require one hand to use, like your flashlight.

Ah, thanks Retro!

Some items only take one hand, so if they do, you can slot two items into it, left click for one, right click for the other.

Thought I tried this but no luck. Will try again tonight as I thought that was what it would do. I think I put a bandage in there and then tried a block but it would keep replacing the item.

Elija2

Where is the launch option to run the game in 64-bit mode? I swear it used to give you the option, but now I don't see it anywhere. If I go into the game's directory I can see the 64-bit executable, but launching the game from there doesn't enable the Steam overlay.

If it's anything like Terraria, yeah dropping items is anti-fun. I've read above that there is already a mod to enable "hunger in casual". Might be worth checking out.
Yeah after seven tries to get back to my body I'm fucking done with survival bullshit, not worth it in the slightest.

Retro

As mentioned above, there's a mod that allows you to add hunger to casual mode. Seems like the right balance of survival and not-smashing-shit. =)

Here's the link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=729439608

Ah, thanks Retro!

Thought I tried this but no luck. Will try again tonight as I thought that was what it would do. I think I put a bandage in there and then tried a block but it would keep replacing the item.

Thank Corpekata, they beat me to it.

There's a lock option on the right end of the toolbar that will keep items from jumping into your hotbar randomly. Pretty sure it keeps you from moving stuff out accidentally too.

Also, one of the first things I did was move "drop item" from the q slot. Too easy to accidentally drop stuff.

Where is the launch option to run the game in 64-bit mode? I swear it used to give you the option, but now I don't see it anywhere. If I go into the game's directory I can see the 64-bit executable, but launching the game from there doesn't enable the Steam overlay.

Pretty sure it's Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win64\Starbound.

Sarcasm

Mine automatically launches the 64 bit version.

Also can you switch difficulty once created? I would like casual + that hunger mod.

So is anyone using the Steam controller? I'm wondering if you've found any good configs or specific settings you've chosen.

I'm using the Steam Controller, Chucklefish uploaded an official config that makes for a decent foundation. I've made all of my personal tweaks based on that.

I'll echo that dropping items on death is pretty anti-fun. How do mods in multiplayer work, is it going to be possible to have the Hunger + Casual mod on the GAF server as default?

Edit : Actually I'm not sure if I like that I can't idle and browse GAF without a constantly draining hunger bar to keep an eye on, I think I'll just restart the game as casual and be done with it.

NG28

Not sure if its me or movement is whack. The momentum your character has makes it feel like your sliding. Jumping onto a single block is needlessly difficult.

mandiller

Does anyone have a link to a good beginner's tutorial? The game doesn't explain anything, like how to build things, or even how to eat an item in your inventory. Just basic stuff.

Top Bottom