• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound |OT| Boundless...

Regretting survival mode right now. Casual is the way to go.
Does anyone have a link to a good beginner's tutorial? The game doesn't explain anything, like how to build things, or even how to eat an item in your inventory. Just basic stuff.
Just put it on the hotbar and use it with the mouse buttons. Food will be expended. Maxing out your hunger bar will give an HP regen effect, so there's a benefit to eating before your char is troubled by hunger. Also appears to be some food rotting effect but I don't get it yet.

The hotbar could be better explained. There are no numbers on them, but they're bound to keys 1-6, one for each hand; which means there's 3 hotkey groups in total. Which means two-handed weapons will take up both 1 and 2, for example.
The game is demanding?

How can that be with graphics like that?

No idea, but it's far better than it used to be. I've gotten a solid framerate in 1.0, vs. the beta versions where it would frequently struggle to reach a stable framerate.

Haven't hit any demanding areas yet though (still on the starter planet), so maybe things will change for me.

DarkestHour

Banned
Does anyone have a link to a good beginner's tutorial? The game doesn't explain anything, like how to build things, or even how to eat an item in your inventory. Just basic stuff.

Try the Starbound wiki and I've noticed there are some tool tip hints in the game now

Sarcasm

So do plants need the water to grow or they just grow slowly when not "wet"?

I ask cause they lose moisture pretty fast.

Supernorn

Chucklefish (Starbound)
We want to support controller support properly, but right now it's a little cumbersome to use with the mouse & keyboard centric interface. The steam controller fares better in this regard.

For Starbound on Xbox One, we're already reworking it from the ground up with controllers in mind. We'd like to bring that functionality back to the PC version once complete.

Hope this answers some of your questions!

Not sure if its me or movement is whack. The momentum your character has makes it feel like your sliding. Jumping onto a single block is needlessly difficult.
Yeah they could tighten the controls up a bit, i found myself barely undershooting/overshooting my jumps, even when i tried to correct myself.

I've been playing for almost 2 hours now, and man, I still don't understand the performance problems with this game. Every time I use my spear skill that spins it and run into an enemy, it gets really choppy...and I'm underground with pretty much nothing around. And I'm on 3x zoom level.

The game is much more fun to play than it was the last time I played though, they just need to iron out the performance issues and I'll drop tons of hours into this game.

Grassy

I've been playing with an Xbone controller using a custom Xpadder profile I created. Feels pretty good so far using the triggers as mouse buttons and the right stick as mouse movement.

We want to support controller support properly, but right now it's a little cumbersome to use with the mouse & keyboard centric interface. The steam controller fares better in this regard.

For Starbound on Xbox One, we're already reworking it from the ground up with controllers in mind. We'd like to bring that functionality back to the PC version once complete.

Thanks for the answers!

You guys have amde a great game.

Even the soundtrack is really good!

Now a question: Can we alter difficulty after starting the game?

I started on Survival and dont mind the hunger thing (even though its hard to come by food at first, though I like the challenge). However, since I suck with keyboard Id like to not lose items on death. Wouldnt mind money.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the help and be proud for this is a really good game. :)

Flintty

Sounds awesome. I got the game early access but will double dip for Xbox if the controller works well. Love the game and soundtrack.

Retro

Also can you switch difficulty once created? I would like casual + that hunger mod.

I don't believe so, at least not without editing the character file or something similar, I would assume.

I'm using the Steam Controller, Chucklefish uploaded an official config that makes for a decent foundation. I've made all of my personal tweaks based on that.

Mind dropping a link to that in here so I can put it in the OT?

Open your inventory, grab the item like you're going to put it in your hotbar and click (alternatively, you can put it in your hotbar as well). Same goes for building; pick up a block / furniture item with the inventory open and move your mouse around near your character; there will be a beam from your manipulator and a ghost of the item you're placing.

The hotbar could be better explained. There are no numbers on them, but they're bound to keys 1-6, one for each hand; which means there's 3 hotkey groups in total. Which means two-handed weapons will take up both 1 and 2, for example.

That should be how it works. You have 6 "sets" of two slots, 1 will activate whatever is in the first pair, 2 will activate whatever is in the second pair, and so on. When a "set" is active, Left Mouse is the first slot, Right Mouse is the second. If you have an item that's two-handed, LMB is the default attack, RMB is the special attack (if applicable).

I find it's very handy to build each set for a specific situation. For example, 1 is my 2h sword, for combat. 2 is my ranged weapon (currently a boomerang) and flashlight for exploration. 3 is my "oh shit" button with a shield in one slot and salve in the other.

Also, the mouse wheel can switch between sets. Very handy once you get in the habit of doing it.

So do plants need the water to grow or they just grow slowly when not "wet"?

I ask cause they lose moisture pretty fast.

Crops suck up the moisture under them when they grow another 'level'; some crops grow very quickly and only need to be watered once or twice, some take a lot more tending. They won't die if they aren't watered (at least, they didn't before 1.0, and I saw nothing about them changing it), but they will just stop growing.

Eventually there are sprinklers that can water stuff for you, or you can get on a planet that has frequent rain / storms. There's also some complicated auto-watering schemes you can do with wiring that people have made.

Is there a clear progression in place now?

Very much so. There's a linear story and almost all of the crafting / gathering stuff is well explained. Of course, it's a sandboxy / exploration-type game so it's not going to be THAT linear, but I think it's pretty well explained, yeah.

Dennis

Banned

Could you give a time estimate?

It is a dilemma. I want to play now but I also want to use a controller.

OmegaDL50

Is there anything that could be done in regards to text scaling option (at least being able to adjust it in the options menu) in this game?

The font seems rather small and since I have a slight vision impairment (I have my OS magnification at 150% for example), is there any something could be done about this in a future update.

OR at least some sort of INI tweak that would allow the player to adjust the font size value beyond the normal value.

Ok, my new favorite weapon.

The Chakram.

Time to go all Xena warrior princess on these alien monsters. Ranged weapon with unlimited ammo and no cooldown

edit: Not the best of damage but has just enough knockback to be effective.

Muzicfreq

Banned

Mod of all time!
LSBHK9i.gif

Retro

Folks having trouble with precision jumping should get 10 copper and 10 silver bars and speak to the Apex NPC at the outpost. The second tech you unlock is jump tech, which gives you double jump automatically and can be upgraded to give you rocket jump / multi-jump / wall jump (if you have tech cards, that is). That should prove helpful because you can recover in mid-air a little better.

Bring him 10 gold bars and you can get the Morph Ball tech too while you're at it. You also get some manipulator modules for your trouble.

.... yep.

Qvoth

i got this from trading my tf2 earbuds and some other game if i wasn't mistaken
played a bit when it 1st to steam

avelle

Neo Member
Survival mode definitely feels awful to me. Going to be remaking and going casual ezmode I guess. Was ok with losing money but girlfriend and I died in the same spot a moment ago and it dropped items and we have no idea what belonged to whom. Losing money ok, dropping items bad imo.

That said, enjoyed the first boss fight, even though it felt pretty short.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Survival mode definitely feels awful to me. Going to be remaking and going casual ezmode I guess. Was ok with losing money but girlfriend and I died in the same spot a moment ago and it dropped items and we have no idea what belonged to whom. Losing money ok, dropping items bad imo.

That said, enjoyed the first boss fight, even though it felt pretty short.

My first planet feels empty. There's nothing as far as I can see and I went around the whole thing. found a cave system and got 17 fragments and that's all
have yet to find the teleporter

Sarcasm

I want to start over also but I already put time in. So I will just....tough it up.

WTB sort for storage inventories!

avelle

Neo Member
My first planet feels empty. There's nothing as far as I can see and I went around the whole thing. found a cave system and got 17 fragments and that's all
have yet to find the teleporter

We found an ancient gate thing pretty early and did that stuff up to the boss fight. Just restarted though and we are keeping our weapons we found so hopefully it shouldn't take us too long to get back to where we were.

iosefe

only one thing matters to me

instruments

where are they. i was hoping i could transfer my old ones over but the files are all incompatible

avelle

Neo Member
I found a piano but no idea where it came from, it was in the first few minutes of the game earlier today. Also, is there really no way to use an item from your inventory? You have to put it on your hotbar?

I think I'll just restart on casual mode. I really can't stand losing critical items on death.
I found a piano but no idea where it came from, it was in the first few minutes of the game earlier today. Also, is there really no way to use an item from your inventory? You have to put it on your hotbar?
I found a piano in a small pot... not sure of the logistics behind that.

Re: your question, I don't think so? It makes using/placing anything a major pain. It needs user-defined hotkeys that you can set at-will for specific items or something. (I haven't checked the controls yet though, maybe I'm missing something.) The numpad would be a really good bind for useful items you occasionally need.

Elija2

You can, but it's kinda awkward. To use a healing or food item you can just click on your character with the item selected and they'll use it, and to place something you can just click in the world where you want to place it. The inventory menu will be in the way but you can easily drag it to the corner of the screen.

Does this game play more like Terraria or Stardew Valley?

A lot more like Terraria.

Renekton

Man, after all these years the movement and combat are still floaty. I was hoping it could get closer to Terraria's crispness.

I need some help. I feel like I'm going crazy but I don't seem to have the "Wooden Crafting Table" recipe. I pressed 'c' and it's not in my list. Do I need to find it or something?

avelle

Neo Member
I need some help. I feel like I'm going crazy but I don't seem to have the "Wooden Crafting Table" recipe. I pressed 'c' and it's not in my list. Do I need to find it or something?

Do you have to make an inventor's table first? I'm not near mine so I can't check right now unfortunately.

mileS

Getting some strange graphic artifacts showing up in the middle to bottom of the screen now in fullscreen mode. Windowed seems fine but even windowed + borderless gaming is giving me the same artifacts. It's almost like screen tearing except its poping another image in.

Does Casual vs Survival affect other aspects of difficulty, like enemies etc, or just item drop upon death?
pretty sure all it does is remove item drop on death and the hunger system.

I started a few more characters, and man with one of them I found TONS of chests on the surface of the starter planet, while with all the others I barely found any, if at all. Interesting.

Khilandros

You guys are doing an amazing job and I look forward to that day

Do you have to make an inventor's table first? I'm not near mine so I can't check right now unfortunately.

Oh, okay. That gets me a little further, I'm looking for the "Wooden Cooking Table", so I can make bread.

edit: Okay I found a more up to date wiki, yeah.. I won't be making bread for a while. Guess I should stop farming wheat.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Okay I am caving in and going casual
-_- hunger systems annoy me a bit when I have to make a long detour back to base just to go hunt and then fight my way back down to where I was.

Top Bottom