• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound |OT| Boundless...

How do you upgrade your ship? I've done all the side quests at the outpost but still nothing.

2 ways. Recruiting crew for your ship. And buying a fake license from the outpost (vendor is directly to the right of the 2 stop teleport shop. I think both ways require you to have upgrade modules. I haven't upgraded via the recruit method yet since I haven't had much luck in terms of recruits.

Echoplx

2 ways. Recruiting crew for your ship. And buying a fake license from the outpost (vendor is directly to the right of the 2 stop teleport shop. I think both ways require you to have upgrade modules. I haven't upgraded via the recruit method yet since I haven't had much luck in terms of recruits.

The vendor isn't there for me.

SJRB

Gold Member
It shouldn't take nearly that long tbh. They're also very easy to find since they glow and you'll see them from a distance away.

Alternatively you can find a mine entrance on the surface of the planet that has shards inside containers inside it.

I re-rolled and when entering the planet with a new character the mine was almost right next to my landing zone, and littered with boxes containing shards. I now have 30+ and I haven't even discovered the energy source yet.

Not sure what happened the first time, but I'm really happy I re-rolled because I'd been stuck in that mine forever..

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
All right folks, server is LIVE. Or at least, my server is live. Here's the basic rundown of the stats:

-Vanilla server
-12 player max (for now), 4 player teams max
-Apparently, your starting planet when you hop on is completely random, which is fine, we don't have a GAF planet yet. So if you happen to find a nice one, let me know, I'll survey it.

General House Rules:
-dont mess with other player's builds
-if you're going to build, if a player is also building nearby, ask them if you can build there. They got there first, its possible they may have plans for that area.
-if at all possible, when you visit a new planet, drop a flag or some sort of marker/sign to show you've been there.
-do not under any circumstances give out the GAF server info. There IS a guest password, but I'm not going to use that for a bit (might turn it on later). Need to see what bugs are running around on the server, and a general stress test, before any non-GAF are to play in this sandbox.

Concerning Game Mods:
From my understanding, if you have a mod installed, you might not be able to use the server. The gist of it is that if you use a mod that can affect the server side, you can't use that mod (the server won't let you in/or you break the server in horrible ways). Don't know exactly which mods those are, but I would assume its anything that would give you assets not normally in the game, or something that modifies assets. If a mod works solely on client-side, it's SUPPOSE to be ok, although even that is iffy. In general, don't use mods on the server if you can.

You might be wondering if I can install a mod that you use so that you can use it on the server. The answer is probably no. If the server uses any mods, every player that wants to play on it have to use the mods.

---
All right, quote for server info, also Discord invite link if needed.

I've done a few story missions and side missions and it's still not there.

There's a bunch of quests listed as prerequisites on the wiki that don't exist for me in the game.

Hmm, I know I have unlocked it already and I've only done the erchius mission and the floran mission. I think it opened up after I did the floran. I've also done dreadwing.

E1C282F4EBC97E4F1CB7BB564A56EE7E150BA4AA

Okay just finished the florian mission and that did it, guess they changed that since the beta.

Very different from beta. In beta you had to do a bunch of weird quests and progress through the story to buy ship upgrades. Now you can with just a lot of pixels and upgrade modules (or the other way with recruiting crew for the ship).

I'm unable to join, with or without mods installed. I keep getting an error message (NetworkException).

Same here.

networkxception cannot connect to "server info": A

Supernorn

Chucklefish (Starbound)
I'm unable to join, with or without mods installed. I keep getting an error message (NetworkException).

Have you selected the appropriate checkboxes in the options menu? There should be two that allow you to connect via steam friends, and connect via IP.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
"Connect via IP" was unchecked. Still, checking it doesn't change anything.

Huh... last night, i secretly tested the server with Retro, and he was able to login...

Everything correct? IP, port, username, password?

EDIT: DOH. WRONG IP. IP UPDATED.

Sarcasm

I'm playing survival and I died twice last night, but I only dropped pixels, didn't drop any items whatsoever. Is items dropping at death a random thing?

Random item and random amount of items. I had one death where it dropped everything but my action bar. Then a death with very few items.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Random item and random amount of items. I had one death where it dropped everything but my action bar. Then a death with very few items.

Okay, I really don't like that. I'm okay with pixels dropping, but losing items is a tad harsh. There should be an option to check that off IMHO. I think I'll enable that mod from above.

Sarcasm

Okay, I really don't like that. I'm okay with pixels dropping, but losing items is a tad harsh. There should be an option to check that off IMHO. I think I'll enable that mod from above.

They do not disappear though. Unless lava or your buddy picks everything up.

Yes casual mode lol. With hunger mod if you want, I am finding the hunger system to be an annoyance more then anything.

dLMN8R

Ok really basic question....I'm on my first planet exploring the first missions after the intro, and haven't found anything which replenishes my health. I just have the canned food which satisfies my hunger. What do I need for health?

Ok really basic question....I'm on my first planet exploring the first missions after the intro, and haven't found anything which replenishes my health. I just have the canned food which satisfies my hunger. What do I need for health?

You can craft salves by hand (c) and it only takes fibres. Later you'll make a apothecary table, but salves are invaluable. You can also sleep and if you eat while at max food you'll regen over time.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

There are tents/sleeping bags scattered about, pick one up and always keep one on you, that way you can sleep anywhere. It might take the longest to heal you, but its also the cheapest. Find a safe place to place it, and sleep. Last resort, plop one down, and surround your tent with enough bricks so that monsters cant get to you.

I havent bothered to yet (since its been a long time), but I believe the vines you see underground can be crafted into healing items at some point. So make sure you start cutting those things down with you manipulator that way you have a nice supply when you finally can start making those.

Xater

Huh... last night, i secretly tested the server with Retro, and he was able to login...

Everything correct? IP, port, username, password?

EDIT: DOH. WRONG IP. IP UPDATED.

For your information the 4 mods I mentioned earlier did not prevent me from joining the server. They apparently just didn't work.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
For your information the 4 mods I mentioned earlier did not prevent me from joining the server. They apparently just didn't work.

I have no idea how mods work in MP. Just going off info I've gathered from the web.

That being said, if you have mods, you might want to disable/uninstall them before hopping on the server.

Dunfisch

Oof. Figured I'd give it a try since I was on the server way back when, but either I'm just unlucky or there's some brutal lag issues. Here's hoping it settles down.

Taffer

Edit: I figured out what's causing it, my GPU downclocks to idle clocks when I play the game :lol. Typical! Whenever anything else uses the CPU my GPU usage goes down the gutter too, but while watching a stream and playing the game CPU usage is under 50% and the load is split evenly across all cores. So must be a GPU issue.

Is it running OK for you now then? It's been running miles better for me than it did in beta so I'm surprised to see it giving you so much grief.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I went to redeem my starbound key from humble and it says it has already been redeemed? Anyone else have this problem?

Do I need to rebuy or do people who bought the pixel tier way back when also get the full version.

kafiend

Does cooked food not stack?

Alos, unless I'm missing a keybind, I can't use anything from within the inventory window? I have to equip it and then use it? Food, codex etc.

mileS

Getting some strange graphic artifacts showing up in the middle to bottom of the screen now in fullscreen mode. Windowed seems fine but even windowed + borderless gaming is giving me the same artifacts. It's almost like screen tearing except its poping another image in.
Well it looks like I'm one of the only people to get a problem like this. Nothing on the support forums or anywhere else. Those types of problems are always the best eh? First I thought it was my gpu or something like that, can't be because the 3 other games I tried today had no problems.

neoemonk

I thought this looked very cool and picked it up way back when, played around with a bit and enjoyed it, but then I found something I hated and never went back to the game.

Eventually I had to go deep into the planet, which was fun and felt adventurous. Then I had to climb back out, and that's where things fell apart for me. It just wasn't enjoyable. It felt tedious and time-consuming and that's what ultimately made me stop. Did they every add anything to the game to make that less horrible, or is it supposed to be part of the experience and I just don't get it?

I thought this looked very cool and picked it up way back when, played around with a bit and enjoyed it, but then I found something I hated and never went back to the game.

Eventually I had to go deep into the planet, which was fun and felt adventurous. Then I had to climb back out, and that's where things fell apart for me. It just wasn't enjoyable. It felt tedious and time-consuming and that's what ultimately made me stop. Did they every add anything to the game to make that less horrible, or is it supposed to be part of the experience and I just don't get it?

You never really had to climb back out if you didn't want to. You can just teleport to your ship.

Garuda1One

There should be a mine dungeon in the starter planet that has core frags in crates.

Or just dig deep and mine them. And yes you'll have to go pretty deep

so generally speaking, should i look for them first ? or just explore around, build houses, plant seeds, etc first ? this kind of gameplay and story is new for me, i haven't played minecraft.. probably the only one around here. lol

Retro

Does cooked food not stack?

Alos, unless I'm missing a keybind, I can't use anything from within the inventory window? I have to equip it and then use it? Food, codex etc.

Food does not stack, no. It spoils at a different rate per item.

Open inventory, pick up item you want to consume, move mouse out of inventory, click near you.

so.. where is this "core fragments"?

is it really THAT deep ?

Check all the boxes in the mine, as Styker suggested. If that doesn't get you 20, you may have to dig (though really, with the improved terrain generation, you should be able to just follow natural formations down for the most part).

Fortunately, core fragments glow so you can't miss them.
Unfortunately, so does lava, which appears at around the same depth.

My advice for lava; fill it in with silt or sand; it still glows (which I find useful) but you can walk right over it. Just don't go digging. Alternatively, just fill it in with dirt and it's gone for good.

so generally speaking, should i look for them first ? or just explore around, build houses, plant seeds, etc first ? this kind of gameplay and story is new for me, i haven't played minecraft.. probably the only one around here. lol

Hey, I haven't played Minecraft either! (mostly because I know it'd cause problems if I got hooked).

You've got the gist of it, basically. Explore the surface looking for anything that's useful (which is basically everything except dirt, and even that has its uses as a basic building material). Gather trees / plants for wood, fiber, food and seeds. Gather stone and mud for building / crafting materials. Look for chests (hit alt to highlight any object you can interact with, even if it's buried underground), as they're a good source of weapons and upgrade components. Eventually you'll find the mine mini-dungeon which should get you some of the fragments you need, or you can just start following some of the caves you find on the surface downward. Look for ore, as upgrading your armor boosts your health, energy, defense and attack power.

Once you get off that initial planet, you'll start finding inhabited worlds with villages and such, where NPCs will offer some basic quests that give you more direction, etc. along with the main storyline which gives you special missions and stuff to do.

This is a game where exploring is a big part of the fun. Sometimes you can lose hours just wandering around, digging for 'one more lode' and such. You get even more mileage out of it if you like building stuff.

cyress8

Banned
My advice for lava; fill it in with silt or sand; it still glows (which I find useful) but you can walk right over it. Just don't go digging. Alternatively, just fill it in with dirt and it's gone for good.

Da fuq? I did not know about that sand tactic. Know what to try when I get home

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Is it running OK for you now then? It's been running miles better for me than it did in beta so I'm surprised to see it giving you so much grief.

Don't get me wrong, it still runs like ass compared to a bunch of similar games, just managed to mitigate the problem somewhat. Maybe the game just hates AMD CPUs.

I haven't tried forcing the GPU to run at full speed during the game yet, I'll see if that fixes it, had the same issue with Knights of the Old Republic and Sith Lords and disabling downclocking fixed the issue in those games.

Top Bottom