• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound |OT| Boundless...

Retro

How do i create a wooden crafting table?

They decided to clean up the crafting menu a bit by having all of the crafting tables made at a "master" crafting table of their own. Make an Inventor's table via your crafting menu, then use that to make all the other work stations.

kafiend

Food does not stack, no. It spoils at a different rate per item.

Open inventory, pick up item you want to consume, move mouse out of inventory, click near you.

Thanks!

Food spoilage fine, a bit a meh for me personally, but I can see that its a perfectly acceptable thing to have in game. Seems a bit rubbish though to seperate items created at exactly the same time with the single mouse click of make me x number of this.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
so generally speaking, should i look for them first ? or just explore around, build houses, plant seeds, etc first ? this kind of gameplay and story is new for me, i haven't played minecraft.. probably the only one around here. lol

As mentioned, you can get the required core fragments by going to the mine thats conviently located near your location on the starter planet. You don't even have to dig, just explore every nook and cranny, check every box you find.

Not to get too spoilery, but I would suggest you complete the first boss before you do any sandboxy stuff. You'll unlock some stuff that'll help in the long run (like fixing your ship)

OH BTW.

If you decided to hop on the server before completing the first boss, be aware that unlocking gate (which you need to collect core fragments for), is tied to your universe, not to your character.

In other words, you have to collect double the amount of fragments to unlock the gates on the server AND your universe. More if you go to other servers. This is why you should probably beat the first boss on your end before going to a server. That way you dont have to go through the trouble of unlocking the gate, you can just fly to other planets outright.

Note that quest progression is tied to your character, NOT the universe/server. So again, even if you did progress far enough on the server, you might run into a stumbling block if you decide to go at it single player.

Retro

How do you set up multiple teleporter things?

Create a Racial Flag (20 Woven cloth and 1 copper bar), place it where you want a teleporter. Click on the flag to name the location. You can then beam to that spot from anywhere, but not beam out.

To teleport to and from a location, you need to buy a teleport pad from the 2-Stop Teleshop at the outpost; it costs 3000 pixels and a Teleporter Core (found randomly in chests and such, or you can buy one for 15 diamonds), and once placed is destroyed if you remove it (you do get the core back though, at least). It's meant to be expensive because otherwise it would invalidate the need to refuel.

Mudo

I bought this way back like a lot of others the day it launched early access and haven't played in years. Loving it so far but can someone help with a couple questions:

1. I need coal to make torches and haven't found any. Do I just keep digging in the rock?
2. I made what I thought was making walls for my makeshift base but ended up being wood paneling. How do you know what stuff is the background walls when crafting ?
3. Are there any must have mods that work right now? I've never modded this game?

Retro

I bought this way back like a lot of others the day it launched early access and haven't played in years. Loving it so far but can someone help with a couple questions:

1. I need coal to make torches and haven't found any. Do I just keep digging in the rock?
2. I made what I thought was making walls for my makeshift base but ended up being wood paneling. How do you know what stuff is the background walls when crafting ?
3. Are there any must have mods that work right now? I've never modded this game?

1. Coal shows up as black rocks / flecks in other materials like dirt, you can probably run along the surface of your planet and find it fairly easily while gathering wood. Same with all ores.

2. Building materials are both walls and backgrounds here. Left click to place blocks in the foreground, right click to place them in the background. Shift will narrow your manipulator down to a single tile so you can place one block at a time. Same goes for mining; right click will harvest background tiles (and yes, ore / coal can appear there).

3. There's lots of mods on steam workshop, some that add new races, some cosmetic ones, etc.

Mudo

1. Coal shows up as black rocks / flecks in other materials like dirt, you can probably run along the surface of your planet and find it fairly easily while gathering wood. Same with all ores.

2. Building materials are both walls and backgrounds here. Left click to place blocks in the foreground, right click to place them in the background. Shift will narrow your manipulator down to a single tile so you can place one block at a time. Same goes for mining; right click will harvest background tiles (and yes, ore / coal can appear there).

3. There's lots of mods on steam workshop, some that add new races, some cosmetic ones, etc.

Thanks Retro!

~Kinggi~

Banned
So, ive had this on my wishlist for a long time, but now that NMS is coming out im itching for something like that, and they seem to be smartly piggybacking on that excitement here. Whats the scope of the game? They seem to show off a ton of features like infinite world and shit but then have some type of linear story, is this game easy to understand or am i gonna need a fuckton of FAQs to get anywhere?

lazygecko

Where am I supposed to get tungsten ore? I've done several mining excursions now on my starting planet but havent' come across any. I can't make the Breathing EPP without it, and without that I can't mine the nearby moon for crystals in order to power the FTL drive to explore other systems.

Hell, I haven't even come across any sand to make glass out of, which is also required for crafting it.

Retro

So, ive had this on my wishlist for a long time, but now that NMS is coming out im itching for something like that, and they seem to be smartly piggybacking on that excitement here. Whats the scope of the game? They seem to show off a ton of features like infinite world and shit but then have some type of linear story, is this game easy to understand or am i gonna need a fuckton of FAQs to get anywhere?

The easiest way to describe it is Terraria with a trillion different planets to visit instead of just one, or 2D Minecraft in space. There is a linear story and questing, but that's not the only route through the game, as you'd expect from a sandbox-type game.

Where am I supposed to get tungsten ore? I've done several mining excursions now on my starting planet but havent' come across any. I can't make the Breathing EPP without it, and without that I can't mine the nearby moon for crystals in order to power the FTL drive to explore other systems.

Hell, I haven't even come across any sand to make glass out of, which is also required for crafting it.

If you've done the Erchius Mine mission, you can travel to other planets in the same star system. Use your ship's navigation computer to find one with Tungsten.

katagai

Does anyone know how to go about getting a ton of cotton bolls? I'm trying to make the next set of armor and I've got tons of tungsten ingots, but only 2-3 cotton bolls.

You can press the (--) magnifying glass on the FTL drive window to back out and view the entire solar system you're in. You should be able to travel to any planet within the system for free. Also, when you select a planet, it'll list ore types on the right hand side. Tungsten is the triangle-shaped ore.

Retro

Does anyone know how to go about getting a ton of cotton bolls? I'm trying to make the next set of armor and I've got tons of tungsten ingots, but only 2-3 cotton bolls.

Gotta farm em. Harvest the full cotton plant for the seeds, create a forager station, make a hoe and start farmin'.

The only other option would be to just scour planets for it, but that'd take much longer.

Woah.
Haven't played since week it launched. Pretty damn fun.

Trying to play mostly blind, but I haven't figured out how to heal. :/
Food only removes huinger.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Woah.
Haven't played since week it launched. Pretty damn fun.

Trying to play mostly blind, but I haven't figured out how to heal. :/
Food only removes huinger.

Sleep is the best way to heal until you start crafting/finding/buying heal items. Starter planet should have several tents or sleeping bags lying around, take em and use em.

docbon

Looks like there's a really bad memory leak during netplay. That might explain why the server ground to a halt a few minutes ago.

new player as of 1.0 and i am loving it so far. i am struggling to sustain the crazy hunger meter though. Getting farming up is taking awhile.

Steam controller here as well - it is a bit slow but still fun.

Morokh

I'm not finding enough Floran things to scan to complete the quest don't know what's up with that.

The colony/NPC system really is nice, the quests are a bit simplistic and could use a bit more variety from what I saw, but still does the job.

Thanks!

Food spoilage fine, a bit a meh for me personally, but I can see that its a perfectly acceptable thing to have in game. Seems a bit rubbish though to seperate items created at exactly the same time with the single mouse click of make me x number of this.

You can store food in refridgerators. They are containers marked refridgerators. You can craft a small one from the workbench. There is also a mod for stacking food.

katagai

I'm not finding enough Floran things to scan to complete the quest don't know what's up with that.

The colony/NPC system really is nice, the quests are a bit simplistic and could use a bit more variety from what I saw, but still does the job.

I had an issue with this too, turns out there was a second planet that had a ruin as well. I suggest killing everything inside first and then wandering around with scan on. I ended up wasting several hours of going back and forth between both planets only to find I missed a single object that looked similar to the ones it was next to.

data

Huh, they patched hunger back in? Why?

E: Oh, so it's a setting now, huh. Guess this will satisfy everyone

Erebody be tired

F431A11F2638C7DE58586262A2E8AEC2EFDF0829

Can't get out of my ship while on the server. It just keeps moving.

This bug was fixed once!

Could be lag. It took like a minute when I first joined the gaf server.

Played a bit on the server. Lots and lots of lag. When I enter any new area is like 5 min or more of waiting for the area to load.

I dont knhow if thats is a game problem or my connection though.

Played for a bit and opened up the way to the outpost.

However, will play more online once you guys settle on a GAF planet.

Played a bit on the server. Lots and lots of lag. When I enter any new area is like 5 min or more of waiting for the area to load.

I dont knhow if thats is a game problem or my connection though.

Played for a bit and opened up the way to the outpost.

However, will play more online once you guys settle on a GAF planet.

I experienced the same issues you have. Maybe not 5 or more minutes though. I haven't played on any other servers (even during beta) so I dunno if it's a specific issue to the server or the game.

wamberz1

So how are we supposed to mine in this game? I thought that was like 90% of it, but you can't make a pick axe?
I know you can use the munipulator but it's slow as shit and only does 4 blocks.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not really sure exactly which part of my setup is causing the lag. I shut the server down to do a little tweaking, and apparently all the devices in my home have trouble with the internet. I had to reboot the router. (So it could be partially a router issue)

I do know when the server was packed, actually trying to do anything on it is slowing it down to a crawl (So it could also partially be a server issue),

Server is back up now, I've reduced the max players to 8, because anecdotal evidence suggests we've yet to hit more than 8 players, so let's go with 8, since going higher would probably just kill everything.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
So how are we supposed to mine in this game? I thought that was like 90% of it, but you can't make a pick axe?

Use your matter manipulator. Remember when you picked up the manipulator, it showed a pickaxe icon? That was telling you your manipulator can mine.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
What is the difference between just playing a game and joining a server?

Things that your do on the server do not neccessarily carry over to your universe. Earliest example is starting a new character, and trying to get to the first boss.

The part where you have to collect 25 cores to open the gate. This part only applies to the universe/server you are in. If you try this in one universe, it does not reflect in the other one (so in other words, even if you opened the gate on the server, if you hopped onto your universe, you'll find the gate on your starting planet is still closed)

This is why you should probably beat the first boss single player first. That way you can fix your ship and you can fly around.

Should I upgrade my manipulator to 3x3 or 200% speed next? I'm kind of conflicted because 3x3 doesn't seem as useful since characters are 4 blocks high.

Should I upgrade my manipulator to 3x3 or 200% speed next? I'm kind of conflicted because 3x3 doesn't seem as useful since characters are 4 blocks high.

The speed boost IMO, being able to dig through 'normal' blocks like dirt and sand quickly is pretty great for just exploring underground.

The speed boost IMO, being able to dig through 'normal' blocks like dirt and sand quickly is pretty great for just exploring underground.

Yeah, okay that was my thinking. It costs a bit more (16 vs 12), but the speed seems like it would be more useful right now. The first speed upgrade was pretty great.

Top Bottom