• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound |OT| Boundless...

Sarcasm

Why do we have to do a lot of dragging for things like armour and whatnot.

Why is there no sort function in storage? You can in your characters inventory.

Also need a quickstack function to four both ways.

Saganator

Apparently I bought this game back in December of 2013, only played for 4 minutes which explains why I don't remember it. Guess I'll check it out!

The M.O.B

I bought the EA version day 1 and put only 80 minutes into it from like 2 different play sessions.

Completely forgot about this game until recently, so it's going to be weird booting it up again but I am ready.

Shinjica

Progression through quest is still disappointing dungeon not in the space map a missed opportunity in my opinion.

Apart for that, great game

FiraB

Banned
For those of you who aren't liking survival mode and recreating your characters, don't do that. You can change your difficulty and install a hunger enabler mod (if you still want that). I just did it and it took me about 5 minutes to do it.

Yeah hunger is a pain in the ass to deal with.

Get hunger mod, gardenbot v2 mod and then start making gardens on the first world in order to never have to worry about it.

Potatoes and Corn, best value ever.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
They sure hyped their new renderer up when the game still runs like shit. Glorious 30-40 FPS in the Outpost.

Edit: I sound like a whiny baby I know, but I expected some sort of amazing FPS boost :lol. It's still playable of course, but still! It wouldn't annoy me so much if the game wasn't prone to lock to 30 FPS whenever you play in Windowed mode. Just opening the inventory in windowed mode locks it to 30 :(. At least I found a rocking Rock Organ keytar.

WaterAstro

Trying not to drag things like an old person. Some basic functions from other games, muscle memory.

With food you can't just click while in inventory to eat it.

Not that confusing.

Oh I thought you were saying dragging things from one inventory to another.

Well, yeah, you have to equip the food and eat it. That's how it works for Terarria.

katagai

tried, didn't work. oh well.

I was able to do it with just editing my save files. Not sure if it's the same across all saves, but all you have to do is open up your .player files and replace [BS]survival with [ACK]casual. Just changing "survival" to "casual" won't work, you also have to replace the [BS] symbol (or whatever it is) with [ACK].

Y2bl71X.jpg

DRA5EXq.jpg

Nohar

The game is not as smooth as it should. That being said, it is way more polished now, that's for sure.

I decided to go Casual with Hunger mod. I'll wait for the server to go up.

WaterAstro

So which which T5 people are going?

Aegisalt (Energy)? Ferozium (Damage)? Violium (Health)?

I'm all about the Energy. Need more bullets.

FiraB

Banned
End of the first day, almost have everything I need to function.

Two gardens so I don't have to worry about food, plenty of materials and plenty of storage.

Pretty much all the benches maxed except for replicator. Didn't bother with pixel printer, compressor, wiring table, rail table, fossil and pet stations because they aren't useful until you start making more complex stuff.

Probably go Aegis for the replicator when I get the mats, haven't gotten that far yet.

Focused down the furnace and other benches as fast as possible so I could at least make stuff that's useful for surviving. I kind of cheated if I think about it because I just dropped mining bots (gardenbotV2 mod) where I needed to, which got me all the resources I needed and then just sat back exploring to gather enough supplies to build my little house on the starter planet.

Zendoc

Any mods to make the combat and movement not a floaty unresponsive clusterfuck?

Yeah... Way too floaty with a weird momentum when you re just trying to move a little. It makes the plateforming sessions a real pain. You absolutely can't be precise.
And its like that since the first alpha so i think they want it this way.

WaterAstro

Yeah... Way too floaty with a weird momentum when you re just trying to move a little. It makes the plateforming sessions à real pain. You absolutely can't be precise.
And its like that since the first alpha so i think they want it this way.

Eh wut?

I dunno maybe I'm too good at platformers, but I've been able to precisely land my jumps.

If you aren't able to land jumps before getting into dungeons, you're in for a world of hurt.

Zendoc

Eh wut?

I dunno maybe I'm too good at platformers, but I've been able to precisely land my jumps.

If you aren't able to land jumps before getting into dungeons, you're in for a world of hurt.

Well, plateformers are my favorite genre... but there's something off for me in starbound. I don't know... It's like your character is lagging.
I just dont like it, it lacks precision.

WaterAstro

Well, plateformers are my favorite genre... but there's something off for me in starbound. I don't know... It's like your character is lagging.

Well, I dunno man. I make like 1 block platforms for myself and I'm fine.

You will get double jump, which can turn into four smaller quadruple jumps with upgrades, which might help you steer your landings in the right place.

sirap

Just found a whip, having a blast with combat now. Really loving the improvements they made, as well as the singleplayer story. So much has changed since I last played this a few years ago.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Interestingly enough, my windowed framerate is as good as full screen if I disable Core 0 in the Core Affinity window :D. Can even have a stream on in the background without being locked to 30. Opening any sort of menu still locks to 30 in windowed mode though.

Oh well. Hope some of the kinks can be ironed out eventually. A lot of my annoyance with the FPS is mainly the fact that the mouse cursor is affected as well in game, if that could be changed I'd be okay, it never drops below 30 at least, which the beta did a lot. There does seem to be some sort of leak going on though, since when I start the game up, ship is a solid 60, but after dying or going back later, the ship FPS is constantly hovering around 48-52 fps.

Edit: I figured out what's causing it, my GPU downclocks to idle clocks when I play the game :lol. Typical! Whenever anything else uses the CPU my GPU usage goes down the gutter too, but while watching a stream and playing the game CPU usage is under 50% and the load is split evenly across all cores. So must be a GPU issue.

SJRB

Gold Member
Well I see the food/hunger system is as unrewarding as ever.

20% increase on the food bar after eating a cooked steak is ridiculous. I should've done a casual playthrough.

depths20XX

Terraria and this game have always felt like garbage when it comes to platforming.

Morokh

Creatures and Biomes are soooo much better !

Need to find a place to settle down for a while and try Colony stuff.

Where can I find a Teddy Bear for the Bears ?

139 mods uploaded to the workshop so far.

Here is a cool one I just found: Container UI tweak

When you open a container the menus open in the center of the screen. This just defaults it so they open on the sides so they don't obscure the player.

Creatures and Biomes are soooo much better !

Need to find a place to settle down for a while and try Colony stuff.

Where can I find a Teddy Bear for the Bears ?

You craft it at the spinning wheel.

SJRB

Gold Member
Can anyone tell me how long they've been going before finding those 20 shards? I've been decending into this mine for an hour and I have yet to find any.

Can anyone tell me how long they've been going before finding those 20 shards? I've been decending into this mine for an hour and I have yet to find any.

It shouldn't take nearly that long tbh. They're also very easy to find since they glow and you'll see them from a distance away.

Alternatively you can find a mine entrance on the surface of the planet that has shards inside containers inside it.

lazygecko

I wonder if you could make a mod which disables respawning water. I was kind of disappointed when after a lot of hard work I discovered that you simply can't drain oceans into planet cores.

Top Bottom