• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void |OT| My Life For Aiur

Syf

Banned
They talked about the exp needed per tier. It's only 300k. With the daily bonus being 100k per race plus whatever else you earn during a game it will be a snap to unlock everything even if you're playing casually.

Jinroh

I haven't played in a long time, in average how much exp can I get from a match? It's really tempting but I'm afraid I'd have to farm mutliplayer games, and I barely ever played online so my level is disastrous.

Tacitus_

I haven't played in a long time, in average how much exp can I get from a match? It's really tempting but I'm afraid I'd have to farm mutliplayer games, and I barely ever played online so my level is disastrous.

You could just play coop. ~40k xp per match on hard.

DBT85

Played a few more games and watched my replays to see what I'm actually doing with regard to expansions, scvs, upgrades etc. Had one fun game that was probably 25 minutes where he had me beat every time I went in and because of my deficiencies I coudn't counter, not enough SCVs and gas in that particular instance.

Then tried running some custom games where I just focus entirely on getting 200/200 with a usable army (Marine/Marauder/Medivac/Tank). Best I've done so far was a measly 11:45.

I feel I know what I'm doing wrong as I watch each replay, just need to pin it together in my matches. EG: I get distracted and stop building SCVs for like a minute at a time, or I get no upgrade for 8 minutes etc etc.

First win of the day is like 100,000 exp.

I'm lvl 17 Terran or something and I play maybe 5 games a week (mostly losing lol)

I have no idea why getting EXP matters though. As far as I'm aware you don't get better shit by playing a lot, you just get better at the game, which is how I like it.

Dip your toe in to online, I never did before like 3 weeks ago or something and I'm enjoying it, even if I get my ass handed to me.

Tacitus_

I have no idea why getting EXP matters though. As far as I'm aware you don't get better shit by playing a lot, you just get better at the game, which is how I like it.

Might be about the new skin box. You unlock the tiers with xp gained in game.

Jinroh

Okay so we need 4'500'000 xp to unlock everything in the war chest, it seems possible for a casual player.

The 100'000 bonus is only for mutiplayer games against another human opponent or does it work for coop vs AI?

Syf

Banned
Okay so we need 4'500'000 xp to unlock everything in the war chest, it seems possible for a casual player.

The 100'000 bonus is only for mutiplayer games against another human opponent or does it work for coop vs AI?
You can get the bonus against AI, and three times in one day if you play one game with each race. Co-op counts too. I played two games and unlocked the first skin, and there's no increase in exp required as you level. It'll be easy to get everything.

DBT85

Started watching my replays with a rough timeline of when I should be building stuff to improve my Macro, going quite well so far. Also signed up to sc2replaystats which is fascinating just to see how much stuff is there.

Played my first online game in 4 or 5 days last night and was all giddy with my victory and looking at the numbers to see what happened. Should have dipped my tow in to online much earlier rather than a month before my first kid is due lol.

EDIT:

Found some issues with SC2RS and reported to Martin. The odd one is that the timing is out on the build orders. Starts out ok and by 5 mins in is like 5 secs out, by 15 mins in is nearly 18 secs out. Weird.

Syf

Banned
Looks like the prize pool is going to hit the cap tomorrow (~$688k now), and that'll be six days since the chest went live.

Was watching HSC XV a bit while driving home yesterday (gf driving) and I got to see the really cool moment where I think they must have asked for donations and they got a waterfall of money and dennis was really happy :D

Jinroh

You can get the bonus against AI, and three times in one day if you play one game with each race. Co-op counts too. I played two games and unlocked the first skin, and there's no increase in exp required as you level. It'll be easy to get everything.
It's weird, it's the second day I only get one bonus, and always as a Zerg. I play as Zerg, get the bonus, then play as Terran and Protoss and don't get anything.

It work on the first day I tried though after posting my first message. Is it bugged or are there special conditions? I'm just playing multiplayer vs AI and games are usually longer than 10 minutes.

edit: just played a third game as protoss, didn't get anything as well. And the last time I played with them was more than a day ago.

Syf

Banned
That's strange. I got two bonuses my first day but have just been playing co-op since. Will have to check tonight.

Took a look at the balance changes they're planning. Of the potential Reaper changes, the increased cost is probably the best one. The grenade nerf would hurt mass reapers the most but also hurts 1-2 Reaper openings ability to harass. The healing nerf would be the smallest change and I don't think it would have much effect on mass Reapers at all. The Raven nerf is something they should have done for years. The Colossus change makes me laugh. Yeah it's a massive help in PvZ but now Protoss gets murdered even harder by mass Marauder in PvT and makes them worse against PvP deathballs.

DBT85

Been playing some more games both on ranked and against the AI to brush up on things. I feel I'm much better than I was a few weeks ago. Even hit a whopping 1 action per second average in a game the other day lol.

GG'd out of 3 games over the last few days than upon looking at the replays and the sc2replaystats data I could have at minimum played for longer and possibly won. I underestimated my ability and overestimated my opponent.

Did have what felt like a great game against a Zerg though which taught me a few things. Like sticking to Marine, Marauder, Tank, Medivac against mass Hydra is useless unless you have a few more tanks or preferably something with some fire. When I looked at the stats though he was on 5 bases and 70 active drones really fast, so I was pleased I held on as long as I did.

In another game however I learned that Roaches can move burrowed (It's been a while). Sitting there happily thinking I'm doing ok and then my base was swarming. No detection anywhere lol.

Really enjoying myself!

Oh, and Winter got into GrandMaster as Random last night which was cool to see.

Jinroh

I did more tests and I can confirm that I only get the first win of the day 100k xp bonus once a day with the first race I play. I can't get it 3 times :(

Syf

Banned
Hmm not sure what to tell ya. I just did 3 quick vs AI games in a row and got the bonus for each race.

r2sM0aj.jpg
wiQbfcH.jpg
Cv4ZfDr.jpg

Jinroh

Really? What the hell. For two days straight I only got it with the Zergs on my first game, and today on the morning with the Terrans. And every time I have more than 22 hours between games.

I've won games with Protoss since the beginning and only got the bonus once with them, and I play no other modes than multiplayer vs AI.

I feel discriminated against ;(

Zzoram

War Chest is late but welcome.

This kind of thing needs to exist so Blizzard can justify to the accountants dumping all the money and time they spent on SC2 eSports, which is kinda limping along right now and no longer growing.

I hope Blizzard has some other ideas coming up to shake things up and inject new players and potential viewers into the game.

Syf

Banned
Unfortunately I think SCR is going to split the community. You already see it in chats and forum posts, people saying one is garbo while the other is the one Blizzard should support. I have no idea how it'll play out. Just gonna have to wait and see. Hell Blizzard might be doing the same thing. I know WCS is technically on for 2018 already but for sure they're going to be watching to see which is more promising going forward.

Striek

Blizzard shat the bed with the SC2 warchest. Capping the WCS contribution and leaving the tracker locked at $700,000 with nothing to replace it ( its meant to be "updated weekly") defeats the whole fucking purpose of engaging the community.

PGamer

fucking juniors
The StarCraft II API Has Arrived

On behalf of Blizzard Entertainment, the StarCraft II development team is very pleased to announce the release of the StarCraft II API! We recognize the efforts made by researchers over the years to advance AI using the original StarCraft. With the StarCraft II API, we’re providing powerful tools for researchers, gamers, and hobbyists to utilize the game as a platform to further advance the state of AI research. This API also exposes a sandbox for the community to experiment with, using both learning based AI and scripted AI to build new tools that can benefit the StarCraft II and AI communities.

Really recommend GSL vs the World. Some really good games.

Ended up watching all of it. Knew World wouldn't do well but it was sad to see a few of them blow 2-0 leads. I don't really get why Ling/Baneling/Hydra replaced Ling/Baneling/Muta in ZvT. It leaves you more vulnerable to drops and doesn't go well into late game since you don't get Hydra upgrades besides speed/range. Not building Muta's also drastically reduces your ability to harass unless you get lucky with a run-by. The only going Hydra's over Mutalisks is better at is surviving mid game.

Besides that, ZvZ is still the worst match up by far. There's rarely any variance to how matches go besides the rare Muta switch. A little disappointed of how little Disruptors are used now as they're one of the most fun things to watch. Neeb-TY's game 4 is probably my favorite game in LotV. Still not super into TvT as they all turn into Marine/Tank turf wars, although Liberators made it a bit more appealing to me. Early-mid game PvP has gotten stale as there's little chance for the match to end until it goes into late game. Found TY (I think it was him) dropping a manner mule kind of classless in a match he was heavily favored to win and wasn't in the deciding game for the contest.

Striek

SC2 balance right now is so good. Matches are great to watch. Mech doesn't need saving anymore either so I don't understand that focus.

Such disappointing news. Widow mine change in particular kills an entire harass route.

Just announced a ton of design changes. I'll be happy to see the MSC go.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/20975163

I don't trust them going through with most of these. A Widow Mine nerf isn't a terrible idea but the way they're going with it is hilarious. If you're going to nerf it, reduce the radius of their attack. The only time they're game ending is if they hit like 15 Zerglings at once. Raven changes are interesting but kind of mixed. Scrambler Missile seems extremely OP, especially in TvP. They can swing an attack instantly by preventing Warp ins from a Warp Prism or disabling Colossi. Shredder Missile seems really underpowered, especially if it has the same ramp up time as Seeker Missiles. Make them at least strong enough to kill workers so they still have some harass potential in early game. No more Point Defense Drones will effect Mech deathballs in TvZ, but that's probably a good thing. Ghost change could make Ghost openers a thing, which is extremely rare right now.

I'll be shocked if they don't backtrack on the MSC. It could maybe use a slight nerf but do it by basically needing to be on top of the Pylon to activate Photon Overcharge. Disruptors don't really need a nerf besides being dropped for harass. The Colossi changes are great except for the damage change. Protoss doesn't have much of an answer to Mass Marauders and this change hurts that. The range and upgrade change should be enough for Protoss to not get overrun by Ling/Baneling/Hydra so easily. High Templar change is funny but I don't think it matters much. Observer and Overseer change is nice.

Kind of mixed on the Infestor change. No more Point Defense Drones makes them less needed against Mech but it still added a lot of damage. Infested Marine change doesn't do much because they still die almost instantly. Lurker Den becoming a separate building is nice. Viper change might be a little too strong. Didn't really understand the massive increased movement speed for Swarm Hosts to begin with.

Not going to be surprised if they backtrack on a lot of these.

Not happy with Zerg changes. I have a lot of trouble versus carriers or mass muta. Vipers are too far into the game to get out for a decent AA. Also, womt be able to fungle medivacs and use the ravagers to shoot em down

phoenixyz

Widow Mine change sounds interesting. I think the Liberator could use some more changes.

Also, I don't think that removing the MSC will work without some kind of more pronounced Gateway-Unit buff. Toss seem to be struggling with early-to-mid game pushes by Zerg and Terran as it is. It would be cool if Blizz found a way to make it work without adding the Photon Overcharge back in.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So I finally bought Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void.

Haven't played since launch but I loved the Wings of Liberty campaign.

I remember it being nothing to run at launch, but I'm having issues with my current rig. (Albiet different settings).

Playing at 4K maxed in game settings, the main menu hits 20 fps, and in game hub areas get similarly bad framerate...

Running with SLI OCd 970s and a 3770k i7. Windows 10 16GB ram.

I know some games struggle at 4K but give how good SCII is known to run I find this surprising. Is this known issue or is somthing wrong?

Syf

Banned
I know this option sucks, but have you tried disabling SLI? Been searching around for blue posts and it seems there is no official support for SLI in SC2, with one post recommending disabling it for a low FPS problem.

Laiza

SLI is disabled by default. You have to manually edit the profile to re-enable it.

Which I do recommend, by the by. The performance increase is worth it, even with the texture glitches (which were the reason they disabled it in the first place). Here's a post with instructions (using Nvidia Inspector), assuming you care to do it.

Also, disable reflections. They're not worth it. The performance hit is massive. Even my 1080 ti has problems with those.

Karl2177

I'm unable to purchase dehaka for some reason and it doesn't show up when I search in the online store. Does anyone else have this issue?

I'm unable to purchase dehaka for some reason and it doesn't show up when I search in the online store. Does anyone else have this issue?

I was able to buy him. Loving him so far. He plays closer to Stukov than anyone else. All of your army units come from one building that slowly builds up charges (up to 5). Dehaka barely has any buildings at all. You have the ones that make units, one for Roach/Hydra, one for Swarm Hosts, one for Ultralisks and a defense building which I'm not a big fan of. Attack/defense upgrades are from Hatcheries as well as making Extractors (took me a minute to realize they come from them and not drones). Not having to build Overlords makes him so easy to play as. As soon as you have 2 bases up and running he's nearly unstoppable.

As far as army units, I'm liking him so far. I'm at level 3 so far and unlocked the upgraded Zerglings and Roaches. Zerglings only spawn one at a time but they're slightly stronger and have WAY more health (90 vs 35/45 for other co-op characters). It's weird that Zerglings and Roaches basically switch places when upgraded. Ravasaurs (upgraded Zerglings) are ranged units and Igniters (upgraded Roaches) are melee units. I don't like Ravasaurs that much. They have slightly higher range and damage than Roaches but way less health (Ravasaurs only have 90 while Roaches for Dehaka have 175). Igniters are basically slightly weaker Ultralisks. They're basically melee but have 2 range and I believe some splash damage as well. They have 300 hp and 2 armor which makes them great tanks until you get to Ultralisk's though. Hydra's are co-op Hydra's. Great units and your only Anti-Air basically at all. Ultra's are Ultra's but have an upgrade that gives them a ton of out of combat health regen but I haven't seen exactly how fast it is.

Dehaka himself is great but not at first. He first spawns really fast but isn't that strong and attacks slow. You can't really go out with him until you build some Zerglings to go with him. All of his summons are extremely strong besides the normal wyrms but they have a shorter cooldown and multiple charges. Once Dehaka starts getting some upgrades he becomes a wrecking ball. His eating ability can literally eat any enemy (killing them instantly) except for mission objective ones, including all hybrids. Him dying isn't that much of a big deal because he respawns with all of his upgrades in tact and you can sacrifice 5 drones for him to respawn instantly.

Dehaka's downsides so far are his pretty poor tower defense and as far I can tell I have 0 detecting units besides that tower defense. His tower defense is Wyrms, and while they're strong (50 damage per hit), they attack really slow (2.2 seconds between attacks) and are not very cheap (250 minerals each). His buildings take a really long time to build but he doesn't have a lot to build. Hydralisks as your only Anti-air besides when you eat a flying unit with Dehaka isn't great either but it's not that bad.

Woooow. First 2 games of the ro8 are done for gsl season 3 and have a big implication for me:
pretty sure byun is going to blizzcon 100%
spoiler doesn't mention who won, rather what it means for someone else in blizzcon.

Top Bottom