• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void |OT| My Life For Aiur

Oh man so tempted to click those red-marked spoilers. The game's out however and I'll see the entire story over the next two nights so it's probably best to evade them. Really, that bad? Just like with the previous games I play this for the super enjoyable campaign missions and exceptionally well designed game as opposed to the disappointing narrative. Felt that way about HotS which I thought was a fantastic game but quite dire in the story department. Looks like Blizzard's carrying on that tradition. I'm actually excited for the endgame now just to see how bad it is.

Looks like we're not getting anything as epic as SC1's ending then. Somewhat disappointed at that though also not that surprised.

I dont even know if i believe those spoilers, my opinions on blizzards writing has gone down so much but that's on a whole new level of bad, maybe ill just play wings of liberty again and "Kick this revolution into overdrive!"

At the very least the game mechanics and music are still amazing

patchday

Oh man so tempted to click those red-marked spoilers. The game's out however and I'll see the entire story over the next two nights so it's probably best to evade them. Really, that bad? Just like with the previous games I play this for the super enjoyable campaign missions and exceptionally well designed game as opposed to the disappointing narrative. Felt that way about HotS which I thought was a fantastic game but quite dire in the story department. Looks like Blizzard's carrying on that tradition. I'm actually excited for the endgame now just to see how bad it is.

Looks like we're not getting anything as epic as SC1's ending then. Somewhat disappointed at that though also not that surprised.

what are you talking bout there's no story at all in HoTS. Are you thinking of another game??

HOTS is a Moba, pvp only.

what are you talking bout there's no story at all in HoTS. Are you thinking of another game??

HOTS is a Moba, pvp only.

Not-Sure.jpg

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
A multimillion dollar company but can't get a team of competent writers to write a decent, generic story in the setting?
What happened to Warcraft III writing, that shit was great.

I'd have to agree, Blizzard writing for D2 / SC / WC3 was miles better than it's been for D3 / SC2. I wonder if it's been a conscious decision on their part or just lower quality writing?

Either way I'll enjoy the campaign, the fun is in playing it for me.

patchday

Sorry folks for shame HoTS = Heart of the Swarm + Heroes of the Storm

Huh, I still havent played through the campaign for Wings of Liberty and I was ranked in online multiplayer. Trying to work my way through the campaign but it's super long. Much rather be online fighting other players I guess

Haines

Banned

Huh, I still havent played through the campaign for Wings of Liberty and I was ranked in online multiplayer. Trying to work my way through the campaign but it's super long. Much rather be online fighting other players I guess

I loved starcraft but never beat the campaigns. Just prefer online.

lol yeah I meant Heart of the Swarm! That the story just wasn't that great in that expansion. I mean it was "okay" but probably a step down from Wings of Liberty which itself whilst moderately enjoyable was no where near the level of SC1/Brood War.

I think the thing I'm trying to understand about Legacy of the Void is that it just feels like there's zero buzz for this whatsoever. The game has launched (what are we mere hours now from the NA release?) and there's not a single review out there for the game yet. That could be because of an embargo but you can't actually find anything about that being in force either. Feels like there's no hype or love for this game anywhere. As though the tidal wave of excitement from Wings of Liberty's launch has just collapsed.

I know Blizzard said this is out pacing Heart of the Swarm in terms of pre-orders but I've seen this issue with every Legacy of the Void thread there's been on here. The hardcore fans are evidently excited for it i.e. the people that deeply enjoyed the previous campaigns and respect the excellent mission design but like no one else is? Around the time of Wings of Liberty's launch SC2 felt like your standard, massively anticipated, super hyped product that everyone was excited for. Were people that disappointed that they're skipping the third expansion?

To me Legacy of the Void is unmissable and I'm excited for it. Have been all year. It's just strange seeing so little hype for such a key release like this.

Tiamant

Holy shit, the dt nerazim upgrade has to be the most op unit in the game. That kage bunshin is insane, even the hybrids die in a couple of seconds.

lol yeah I meant Heart of the Swarm! That the story just wasn't that great in that expansion. I mean it was "okay" but probably a step down from Wings of Liberty which itself whilst moderately enjoyable was no where near the level of SC1/Brood War.

I think the thing I'm trying to understand about Legacy of the Void is that it just feels like there's zero buzz for this whatsoever. The game has launched (what are we mere hours now from the NA release?) and there's not a single review out there for the game yet. That could be because of an embargo but you can't actually find anything about that being in force either. Feels like there's no hype or love for this game anywhere. As though the tidal wave of excitement from Wings of Liberty's launch has just collapsed.

I know Blizzard said this is out pacing Heart of the Swarm in terms of pre-orders but I've seen this issue with every Legacy of the Void thread there's been on here. The hardcore fans are evidently excited for it i.e. the people that deeply enjoyed the previous campaigns and respect the excellent mission design but like no one else is? Around the time of Wings of Liberty's launch SC2 felt like your standard, massively anticipated, super hyped product that everyone was excited for. Were people that disappointed that they're skipping the third expansion?

To me Legacy of the Void is unmissable and I'm excited for it. Have been all year. It's just strange seeing so little hype for such a key release like this.

I have a hard time believing this is outpacing Heart of the Swarm. I feel like they've done a pretty bad job with SC and it's just continually losing popularity. The game is officially launched tomorrow right? I see nothing but preorder push for Legion and Overwatch splash screens from Blizzard or Bnet site.

Werd

So many people just casually reading/watching end-game spoilers, though I get that the SC2 story isn't taken seriously by most. The plot has been pretty nonsense, but I do still enjoy the well produced cinematics and entertaining if two dimensional characters. Enjoyable enough to watch through once for me, with the main attraction being mission design/gameplay. I'll hold off and play it blind.

Anyway, I didn't expect too much grand hype, it is after all an expansion to a 5+year old game that still basically looks and plays the same from the casual fan's viewpoint. Obviously there have been older games to get a lot of hype though, including by Blizz.

Lack of reviews is weird though. I don't care how much SC2 hype has fallen, someone would bother to put up a review if they could. Random indie games get that. No review codes given out? Hard to imagine there would be an embargo active when it's already available in most of the world and 90 minutes away in NA.

I remember blizz doing a big live release for hots

Nothing for this one?

Probably just viewed as covered by BlizzCon 2 days earlier, where as HotS was in the spring. Something shorter would have been nice though.

//ARCANUM

I've thought it was dumb that they named 2 games in a row with the letter H. O. T. S.

A. How lazy

and

B. What were they thinking? How did they not think of that?

It's really hard maintaining hype for 3 releases of what is supposed to be one complete game. Personally I'm super excited but I can see the greater public not caring much.

Nothing unusual among the normal lack of press for a PC exclusive though. Just the sad state of the games press.

Josh5890

Wtf thought I had everything downloaded last night but now I have to download a 4.5gb patch.

I think that just popped up because I just had to download it too.

Well shit. I didn't realize this was coming out so soon. I need to buy Heart of the Swarm so I can play that story. Hopefully it goes for cheap now.

I'm surprised they didn't offer a complete package for $60 right now. Eventually it will come though.

So hyped to get home from work in a few more hours and start on the campaign.

Have always been terrible at multiplayer and suffer massive ladder anxiety but I am determined to overcome that this time and just play and have fun, win or lose.

So hyped to get home from work in a few more hours and start on the campaign.

Have always been terrible at multiplayer and suffer massive ladder anxiety but I am determined to overcome that this time and just play and have fun, win or lose.

There is unranked ladder if you don't wanna worry about ranked. :D

Sai-kun

Banned
LEGACY OF THE VOID ENDING SPOILERS
- Xel'Naga with gold eyes makes Kerrigan a glowing angel.
- Glowing angel causes Jim's mind eruption, forcing him to think of personal kiss.
- Glowing angel flies into some portal.
- Glowing angel kills Xel'Naga with red eyes
- Black screen.
- We are back to first post-intro cinematic of WoL, Raynor in bar, watching TV, missing old times.
- Then actual human Kerrigan returns, and Raynor gets up to greet her, leaving his badge on the table.
- Then... The End.

Oh my God. Are you kidding me, Blizzard? That is offensively bad. Can't believe I waited so long for THIS conclusion.

Oh my goddddddflflgkgkgkfkfjffkvjgfkfk I am CACKLING

Seems blizzard is sending this out to die. Its clear they don't really care about the franchise and simply haven't improved it enough to bring the larger fan base back into the fold. I'll get it eventually but it's sad seeing this franchise reduced to such little fanfare.

Those spoilers are awful but they're hardly a step back from the slop that's been delivered in wol and hots. I only play for the gameplay now anyway.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm only 2 missions in, but maybe someone can answer this question - does LotV have a base/choose your upgrades element like the previous SC2 titles or is it a more straightforward campaign like in SC1?

Ecto311

This thing out at midnight in our time zones or people playing now? It's 11:19pm here and the web site says pre-order now.

kenbo

- Glowing angel causes Jim's mind eruption, forcing him to think of personal kiss.
- Black screen.
- We are back to first post-intro cinematic of WoL, Raynor in bar, watching TV, missing old times.
- Then actual human Kerrigan returns, and Raynor gets up to greet her, leaving his badge on the table.
- Then... The End.

Oh my God. Are you kidding me, Blizzard? That is offensively bad. Can't believe I waited so long for THIS conclusion.
Damn I didn't realise we could get worse than hots...

Josh5890

Well shit. I didn't realize this was coming out so soon. I need to buy Heart of the Swarm so I can play that story. Hopefully it goes for cheap now.

Geeze less than 10K games going on right now. Such a far cry from the day that WoL was released. I think there was some 2.5 million people playing on release day.

I wonder if that says more about the RTS genre or Starcraft.

Nokterian

- Black screen.
- Then... The End.

Wait what? A shame..still going to play it though but goddamn that is just bad writing even more horrible then heart of the swarm.

The spoilers make it sound like
Angel kerrigan or plot device kills everyome or puts them in some utopian state of mind
buuut as weird as it sounds...atill cant wait to get home for the campaign.

Moff

The first Thing I did was a round of allied commanders/ Coop Missions.

I am bit disappointed because I expected this mode to be even more deatched from the RTS component, I expected it to be more hero focused, but apparently not even every "commander" is in the field him/herself, sometimes you just get extra abilities.

so it's basically still a base focused RTS but with a bit more fast paced Action oriented Focus.

objectives are fine, you can Level up to unlock more powers, that's good longtime Motivation, I will Play this but I expected a bit more.

then I did the first few campaign missions (I completed the prologue before) and first of all I am glad that this is not as half-assed as I feared it would be. Blizzard rarely talked about LOTV and I feared they would not put much effort into it, but production Value seems high. the campaign maps look nice.
what I especially welcome is that this time there is more talking and twists in the the Missions themselves, that's something I missed in WOL/HOTS, but this is just the start, no idea if it stays this way.
on the other Hand, while the first few missions were not bad, they were not on the Level of WOL/HOTS and the prologue, as they did not have any Special gameplay mechanics. they were basically simple destroy missions.

now I really hope this improves because the Mission design/gameplay is what made WOL/HOTS better than SC/BW.

the new ship is again on the Level of the HOTS Leviathan, which means not as good as the Hyperion on WOL, but I expected that, the Hyperion was too awesome.

anyone, all in all I love it and I can't wait to play more.

theofficefan99

I seriously can't believe how atrocious the writing in this game is. I thought it couldn't get any worse.

The ending isn't even in CGI this time around, either.

Dragons are back! Now they are called Dragún in LATAM

Zeratul just
desintegrates
? crap man got that Mass Effect 3 feeling on chapter 4 when you visit
Shakuras

Syf

Banned
Six missions in and I'm enjoying the campaign quite a bit more than Heart of the Swarm so far. It's so nice to have dragoons back, fairly certain I'm just gonna mass them up every mission I can lol. I played the co-op missions at BlizzCon and already know I love those. Haven't played the ladder yet though. Continuing on with the campaign..

Top Bottom