• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Because BW is still much better a game than SC2 right now. Too soon to kill it off.

o_O

It's time to let go. SC1 took time to reach greatness, SC2 will reach it eventually as well.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Take better game that higher skilled people play that is more enjoyable to watch and kill it off. Sounds like a fucking great plan to me.

Hopefully they ease the transition using the English names and fans follow the players enough.

Too bad it relies on Blizzard making interesting and strong units. Maybe we'll see a glimpse of the glory of BW in engagements in 2-3 years.

o_O

It's time to let go. SC1 took time to reach greatness, SC2 will reach it eventually as well.

This can't be said enough. I'm so tired of BW elitists acting like the game was perfect the minute it came out, and holding SC2 to that standard.

SC2's skill level is very high, and will be amazing in a few months/years

Sliver

I don't know about the skill ceiling being reached any time soon.

The additions/removals of units in the expansions is going to fuck a lot of stuff up, and require some more working with by pros to get to a state of balance and their actual use in builds. It's going to take some time.

hamchan

Take better game that higher skilled people play that is more enjoyable to watch and kill it off. Sounds like a fucking great plan to me.

Hopefully they ease the transition using the English names and fans follow the players enough.

Too bad it relies on Blizzard making interesting and strong units. Maybe we'll see a glimpse of the glory of BW in engagements in 2-3 years.

Yeah :-/

That Bisu vs Flash proleague final was unmatched by anything I've seen in SC2.

I really doubt SC2 can reach the level of BW by October. I agree that it will take time for SC2 to reach greatness, so how about we keep around the game that has reached greatness already until SC2 does.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

Perhaps for you, I personally find it rather boring to watch. As for units, Blizzard will have the feedback of BW pros and Kespa in order to further develop the game into something more complex for players, yet understandable for viewers.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
This can't be said enough. I'm so tired of BW elitists acting like the game was perfect the minute it came out, and holding SC2 to that standard.

SC2's skill level is very high, and will be amazing in a few months/years
Why is everyone still shit at engagements? It's because they are shit players and no one is pushing the envelope.
Fucking DRG still sometimes 1a's with line bane muta. That is a fucking joke. No progamer should even ever think of doing that.

I'm upset at SC II because there are clear skills (such as engagements) that SC II players do not have that BW pros do well regularly in every match. There are very clear areas of improvement that are being developed so slowly it's frustrating.
At least the skill FLOOR is being raised in GSL and Code A isn't a miserable pile of failures.

I've been meaning to make a thread/post about the Proleague Finals and how goddam incredible those sets were.
Perhaps for you, I personally find it rather boring to watch. As for units, Blizzard will have the feedback of BW pros and Kespa in order to further develop the game into something more complex for players, yet understandable for viewers.
If Blizzard puts in more overpowered as fuck units it'll be on the right track. I doubt that's going to happen.

I'd love to see Blizzard change the way units group together in SC2

I don't know about the skill ceiling being reached any time soon.

The additions/removals of units in the expansions is going to fuck a lot of stuff up, and require some more working with by pros to get to a state of balance and their actual use in builds. It's going to take some time.

It will take time, but the skill and meta game levels are constantly improving. By October the game will look better than it is today (please god, no HOTS this year...).

WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW HAZ
BkSXQ.jpg

"Win three GSLs, then maybe you can stand in my presence"

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It's all about the age in Korea... He's sitting down 'cuz of respect.

Keikaku

It was worth it to visit this thread before my last finals to get another dose of Haz's drama. A grin slowly spread across my face as I read his posts.

m8v3R.gif

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Pancakes

oh god Kespa is never going to give a flying fuck about foreign tournies, this game is about to get stupidly korean dominated.

Why would they turn down ezpz foreigner money?

mr. puppy

Banned
Why would they turn down ezpz foreigner money?

foreign teams bring joke sponsorship compared to what Kespa brings. They have tournaments in hangars. TL is sponsored by some web app website. This game hasn't even close to the money that is about to be thrown at it.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
foreign teams bring joke sponsorship compared to what Kespa brings. They have tournaments in hangars. TL is sponsored by some web app website. This game hasn't even close to the money that is about to be thrown at it.

Keep in mind BW isnt flowing with sponsorship money right now. Reason why they are going to SC2 is probably because BW is having a hard time supporting itself.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
oh god Kespa is never going to give a flying fuck about foreign tournies, this game is about to get stupidly korean dominated.
It something to think about. There's no way SC II is going to have the sustained flow of cash year over year that it has now imo.
The only place I can see this being half viable is if SC II brings back old BW numbers and sponsors follow. If the Hybrid league brings in good numbers and prohouses can support a BW + SCII team then I can see that being possible if BW or SC II alone doesn't cut it.

Hero v Stephano on OneMoreGame, coming up soon

But there is far more money outside of Korea than inside, just from an economic scale perspective. NA and EU provide quite a lucrative opportunity for Korean teams. Will Flash be going to every MLG, Dreamhack, etc? Of course not, I'd imagine his team will prefer to control access and ensure they cultivate the Korean scene - which is fine and makes sense. Viewers will watch whatever tournament he attends

Haz makes a good point too. SC2's current financial model is not sustainable. That will hurt growth, and could be a boon for the smaller Korean scene.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hero v Stephano on OneMoreGame, coming up soon

But there is far more money outside of Korea than inside, just from an economic scale perspective. NA and EU provide quite a lucrative opportunity for Korean teams. Will Flash be going to every MLG, Dreamhack, etc? Of course not, I'd imagine his team will prefer to control access and ensure they cultivate the Korean scene - which is fine and makes sense. Viewers will watch whatever tournament he attends

Haz makes a good point too. SC2's current financial model is not sustainable. That will hurt growth, and could be a boon for the smaller Korean scene.
And that's a really big part of it for me. If the scene dries up because money is gone in NA, then it's basically dead. You're not going to see it ever reach that skill level outside of Korea, just like BW because there's no support for it. If SC II doesn't bring in numbers, then basically Starcraft 1 and 2 are dead in the water and need to be revived in some fashion. That's the worse scenario and very unlikely.
I think MLG is doing well with it's funding and with a MOBA + SC II it'll be around for a good long while. Whether it stays competitive with foreigners vs Koreans is different matter entirely.

*And as much as I love Stephano, everytime I hear a caster say 'That's so uncharacteristic of Stephano' I lose it. Stephano always makes like 6 overlords at a time after being supply blocked + 40 roaches.
**Smart play from Stephano after seeing so many Phoenix, just grab another 2 free bases after his gasless fast 3 already. Lets see how Hero handles early 5 base econ Zerg. I don't think Phoenix are going to do anything, but maybe Stephano will fail at fungles.
***No resources to make Infestors on being 90 drones + 10 gas? Who's casting this fucking game?
****And now Stephano with a beautiful positional play, separates the phoenix from the main army (which had no splash) with infested terrans, then wrecks then entire protoss army with ling/muta and suffer minimal losses. This is a great strat from Stephano. Too bad casters have no idea what is going on.

(._.)

Banned
I don't think everybody will come around till a couple years after every expansion for SC2 is out.

Either way I'm excited for this. Would be cool to have two competing leagues in Korea.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Stephano not harassing Protoss bases. gg Zerg.

Maybe more Zergs will start dropping cracklings here and there along with Infestor harass to force army splits and gas to be held at bases.

Also HT with one of the best abilities in the game (Feedback) at 50 energy with that range is still hilarious.

Yoshichan

Oh Stephano... :(

Aaron

The whole reason KESPA is switching to SC2 is the lack of sponsors for Brood War. They don't bring in nearly what they used to

Yoshichan

Wait, what the fuck is this shit I'm reading on TL about Flash being protoss? Any truth to this bullcrap?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Another thing in SC II I dislike is that mined gas gives you nothing. Each one should give you 0.5gas per trip imo.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
EG's machines lagging while cast? Guess Kingston not so good right! :p
Don't tell G.Skill or Kingston, but...
RAM speed gives you a 1% FPS boost and doesn't matter at all

That said I bought some Kingston HyperX sticks and they are very pretty and I suggest you all buy Kingston HyperX and G.Skill branded gaming memory!

Sliver

Wait, what the fuck is this shit I'm reading on TL about Flash being protoss? Any truth to this bullcrap?

A good amount of the BW pros think that Terran is the favored race by Blizz, which is a reason Bisu is rumored to switch as well, and Flash has said he wants to switch to Zerg in SC2 too. It's all pretty up in the air and it will take time for them to play the game before they actually decide, I'm sure.

Vaporak

Weird game between Stephano and Hero. Stephano seemed to really drop the ball in his engagements after getting a big macro/strat advantage over hero.

Just rumors and TL complainers.

Corran Horn

Don't tell G.Skill or Kingston, but...
RAM speed gives you a 1% FPS boost and doesn't matter at all

That said I bought some Kingston HyperX sticks and they are very pretty and I suggest you all buy Kingston HyperX and G.Skill branded gaming memory!

Sure thing mr. Incontrol.

(I have gskill cuz gsl is better)

wow, I feel for ya Haz, SC2 has a lot of dumb, uninteresting units/design decsions like roaches, forcefileds, colossus and fungles. Let's just hope Blizz gets their head out of their ass by the time the expansion drops off (not holding my breath given that said garbage units are already in the expansion)

People like destiny so they blindly support whatever he says. Orb has a much smaller fanbase so he got shat on and not many to protect.

People were defending orb too using the same argument ("get over it, they're just names. stop being so sensitive."). Chalk it up as another case of white (male) privilege

Should Destiny be shitcanned? I honestly don't know. Quantic knew what they were getting into when they acquired him, but we don't know what their agreement with him was. It's hard to imagine Destiny agreeing to a contract where Quantic could dictate how he talks on stream.

If anything all this shows is that he doesn't give a shit about being a traditional professional gamer (non-fighting game wise). He doesn't care about sponsors or teams, all he's concerned about is maximizing his stream numbers to make money. You'd think he would have shown some improvement having joined a legit team with good Toss players on it. Nope. Ladder warrior

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
wow, I feel for ya Haz, SC2 has a lot of dumb, uninteresting units/design decsions like roaches, forcefileds, colossus and fungles. Let's just hope Blizz gets their head out of their ass by the time the expansion drops off (not holding my breath given that said garbage units are already in the expansion)
and marauders and vikings

Corran Horn

Dont feel sad for him. He has 10+ years of VODs to watch.

:p

Top Bottom