• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
New photo for you pancakes

yIkou.jpg

Other photos from the SC2/BW event
http://leveltory.com/8120

Zenex was even there...lulz

Zzoram

I can't wait to see Flash, Jaedong, Bisu, Fantasy, Effort, and Stork playing SC2.

Finally SC2 fans will see where the term "Fantasy gg timing" came from.

And that's a really big part of it for me. If the scene dries up because money is gone in NA, then it's basically dead. You're not going to see it ever reach that skill level outside of Korea, just like BW because there's no support for it. If SC II doesn't bring in numbers, then basically Starcraft 1 and 2 are dead in the water and need to be revived in some fashion. That's the worse scenario and very unlikely.
I think MLG is doing well with it's funding and with a MOBA + SC II it'll be around for a good long while. Whether it stays competitive with foreigners vs Koreans is different matter entirely.

This is a major risk, especially with LoL and eventually DOTA2 dominating SC2 in terms of player and stream numbers. InControl made a good point on SOTG about sponsors appreciating the structure and professionalism already in place for SC2, and how those things aren't really set up for LoL or DOTA2 yet; right now they're basically just giant pools of people (a marketer's dream).

As SC2 becomes more competitive with not just the arrival of BW players but the evolution of the metagame, it's highly unlikely that many foreigner players will be able to keep up. And as the Idras and Huks of the world become less relevant, viewer numbers could drop. Meanwhile a lot of the average players that clutter the scene right now could easily transition to something easier like LoL where they can make money; I can guarantee Destiny will make that transition eventually.

What happens when the US scene can no longer command viewers or enough people to attend these events that most certainly do not make profits right now? What happens when LoL takes SC2's top spot at MLG, or when sponsors stop fielding calls from Day9. Teams are not going to be financing a bunch of fuck ups forever. I honestly do believe we're going to see the scene become something bigger than SC1's foreign scene, but similar in many ways. Where a handful of guys can basically dominate local, small events because all the good players are focused in Korea, then maybe a couple big events like MLG here and there. Basically the atmosphere Nony, Artosis, InControl, etc dominated in BW

Obviously there is still juice left in SC2, perhaps a lot due to the expansions. But it's high time Blizzard realized all can be lost if they just let other games dominate. They better get serious - not just about supporting SC2, but about making their DOTA something people might actually give a shit about

(._.)

Banned
Watching older broodwar vods is the best thing ever but a bit sad. it kinda reminds me of watching old pro wrestling ppvs from 1995-2003. the product was actually good and the crowd was into it. transition to modern day (SC2) and notice how the crowd isn't nearly as passionate and the game isn't nearly as exciting. maybe it's just my lack of experience of following old brood war games but SC2 looks like a joke when I see the two lined up.

This is a major risk, especially with LoL and eventually DOTA2 dominating SC2 in terms of player and stream numbers. InControl made a good point on SOTG about sponsors appreciating the structure and professionalism already in place for SC2, and how those things aren't really set up for LoL or DOTA2 yet; right now they're basically just giant pools of people (a marketer's dream).

As SC2 becomes more competitive with not just the arrival of BW players but the evolution of the metagame, it's highly unlikely that many foreigner players will be able to keep up. And as the Idras and Huks of the world become less relevant, viewer numbers could drop. Meanwhile a lot of the average players that clutter the scene right now could easily transition to something easier like LoL where they can make money; I can guarantee Destiny will make that transition eventually.

What happens when the US scene can no longer command viewers or enough people to attend these events that most certainly do not make profits right now? What happens when LoL takes SC2's top spot at MLG, or when sponsors stop fielding calls from Day9. Teams are not going to be financing a bunch of fuck ups forever. I honestly do believe we're going to see the scene become something bigger than SC1's foreign scene, but similar in many ways. Where a handful of guys can basically dominate local, small events because all the good players are focused in Korea, then maybe a couple big events like MLG here and there. Basically the atmosphere Nony, Artosis, InControl, etc dominated in BW

Obviously there is still juice left in SC2, perhaps a lot due to the expansions. But it's high time Blizzard realized all can be lost if they just let other games dominate. They better get serious - not just about supporting SC2, but about making their DOTA something people might actually give a shit about

I know it will never and could never happen but i think SC2 could survive and be very profitable with a free to play model (just charging for avatars and name changes and the like could be enough but there are other things they could do).

I still think the most important step is imbedding a stream into SC2 and getting the word out about esports. There is a huge player base still active in SC2 and blizzard needs to try and harnass it. If they just sit back whilst the like of valve and riot push esports SC2 is going to be pushed back to a much smaller audience.

Aaron

Blizzard needs to promote 3v3 team leagues in SC2. Lower barrier to entry like LOL means more viable players. Sure, the games will be crap to watch, but so is LOL and that gets crazy view numbers.

Blizzard needs to promote 3v3 team leagues in SC2. Lower barrier to entry like LOL means more viable players. Sure, the games will be crap to watch, but so is LOL and that gets crazy view numbers.

That's a terrible idea. You should apply for a job at Blizzard.

Aaron

I also think there should be more transforming units. Like imagine if a tank could transform into a thor... how cool would that be, right? And ten banelings can form into one giant megabane that rolls through buildings.

That's a terrible idea. You should apply for a job at Blizzard.

I like it in general terms. Blizzard should do more to foster 2v2s and 3v3s. There are plenty of people who take team games very seriously, with a bit of help it could foster into a niche community within the community

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I don't wanna watch a 43 minute long video of a game that I don't understand and that's not even gonna be around for much longer ;)

So basically the guy just has a habit of staying in the game too long?
he has a habit of having no anti air when there are 8 carriers and 2 arbiters in his base and not gging.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you

Wedge7

I love watching that old vod, I remember watching it years ago, probably seen it so many times in the years since. Love hearing the nervous screams of the fangirls during various points at that match, that bunker surround was so sick, I remember having a "fuck yea" moment when I saw it for the first time.

Love the history between those 2, especially in that era, some awesome matches and a great rivalry.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I also think there should be more transforming units. Like imagine if a tank could transform into a thor... how cool would that be, right? And ten banelings can form into one giant megabane that rolls over buildings.
FTFY

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
oh god HERE WE GOOOOOOOOO...

so tired

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
No. Just no. Let the game live as a good memory because playing it now is an exercise in self hate brought on by nostalgia.
No, this is false.

The state of PvP in diamond on the NA server is a fucking joke. Seriously every player either does a dumb cheese or blindly tries to get up your ramp with a 4 gate or blink rush :/. It's not even a challenge anymore, i want to build carriers in pvp but everyone seems committed to dying long before this can ever happen.

It amazes me how uncreative players are in every matchup. It also seems as though people get super pissed when you use a strategy that isn't considered the norm. Everyone seems to be doing a build or timing they read on TL and i get a lot of rage for doing strange stuff.

Having said that it's fun to be back on the ladder, definitely think i'll stick with protoss for now. Too hard to make the switch back (as much as i love the swarm).

Snowman

The state of PvP in diamond on the NA server is a fucking joke. Seriously every player either does a dumb cheese or blindly tries to get up your ramp with a 4 gate or blink rush :/. It's not even a challenge anymore, i want to build carriers in pvp but everyone seems committed to dying long before this can ever happen.

It amazes me how uncreative players are in every matchup. It also seems as though people get super pissed when you use a strategy that isn't considered the norm. Everyone seems to be doing a build or timing they read on TL and i get a lot of rage for doing strange stuff.

Having said that it's fun to be back on the ladder, definitely think i'll stick with protoss for now. Too hard to make the switch back (as much as i love the swarm).

What kind of dumb cheeses exactly? Just like cannon rushes or 2gates? Sorry, just curious :p

What kind of dumb cheeses exactly? Just like cannon rushes or 2gates? Sorry, just curious :p

Yeah that's basically the cheese i encounter, i'm not sure there are many other real cheeses in pvp (besides probe rushing). The cheese isn't that common, blindly going for a 4 gate then walking up my ramp and hoping i don't have a sentry is very common though.

Top Bottom