• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Trailer reaches 3.4 Million views in 24 hours

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Honestly, I expected a lot more.
what-kobe.gif

I need to see a good questline first lol

And how interesting the loot variety is and how leveling systems are, is there level scaling?

I just have doubts about those things, because all those systems are cool and all, but if you have a bunch of procedural quests or lack of creativity in creating context or interesting scenarios, then you just have another skyrim. The bros who wont notice those things will love it because they just wanna fuck around, but those people that favor morrowind, witcher, oblivion etc. Will notice its bland underneath the cosmetics.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I need to see a good questline first lol

And how interesting the loot variety is and how leveling systems are, is there level scaling?

I just have doubts about those things, because all those systems are cool and all, but if you have a bunch of procedural quests or lack of creativity in creating context or interesting scenarios, then you just have another skyrim. The bros who wont notice those things will love it because they just wanna fuck around, but those people that favor morrowind, witcher, oblivion etc. Will notice its bland underneath the cosmetics.
I mean shit, might as well ask to see the final credits as well. Whaddya mean show me the questline? Like they've already mentioned there are factions you ally with. You want them to walk you through an entire questline?

If you've played Skyrim I imagine the quests would be on par or maybe even improved over those. Have ye no faith?

I'd be worried more about how many bugs there will be at launch.

Last edited:
I mean shit, might as well ask to see the final credits as well. Whaddya mean show me the questline? Like they've already mentioned there are factions you ally with. You want them to walk you through an entire questline?

If you've played Skyrim I imagine the quests would be on par or maybe even improved over those. Have ye no faith?

I'd be worried more about how many bugs there will be at launch.
Uh...cyberpunk, bioshock, half life 2, witcher 3 even this game outlaws...walked us through a mission or a questline. Do you not remember that? The 50 min cp2077 demo was an entire questline.

And Skyrims questlines were poor, thats what im scared of. Compare those questlines of skyrim to oblivion or morrowind. Or cyberpunk or witcher 3. And you'll understand why they were poor.

Did you not notice that?

Varteras

Gold Member
The Starfield Direct doesn't even have a million views yet. And even counting the official trailer, separate from the Direct, from both Bethesda and Xbox channels barely brings that over 500k combined. So not even 1.5 million with those together. The Spider-Man 2 gameplay trailer from two weeks ago on just the PlayStation channel alone has over 10 million views.

If we're trying to combine those numbers with the viewership of the entire showcase they were a part of, well that's silly.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Isn't OP adding Xbox showcase view count into the mix? Which showcased multiple games, not just Starfield. Otherwise, I can't figure out how he got that 3.4M number.

With spider-man, only the 2 gameplay trailers were used, which doesn't include PS Showcase view count.

Oh I see what you're saying. Is the OP cheating then? Because that'll be cheating.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Uh...cyberpunk, bioshock, half life 2, witcher 3 even this game outlaws...walked us through a mission or a questline. Do you not remember that? The 50 min cp2077 demo was an entire questline.

And Skyrims questlines were poor, thats what im scared of. Compare those questlines of skyrim to oblivion or morrowind. Or cyberpunk or witcher 3. And you'll understand why they were poor.

Did you not notice that?
I mean so lemme get this straight. What if the questline they show is a bad questline to you...but the game itself has 10 other questlines that are awesome that they just didn't show?

Honestly I wanna say they did actually walk us through an introduction to a questline in a previous reveal. I think it was their Starfield dev blog or something. I'll try to find it fo you.

EDIT: Boom son!

Double EDIT: Hmmm...so I kinda get what you're saying now. Cyberpunk had a gameplay walkthrough. this is not the same. Sorry. I tried, bro.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

The game will be massively popular, it's Bethesda's new SP game, i can't wait to play it, but i doubt it will hit Skyrim's numbers personally, it's more like a Fallout than an Elder Scroll really, science fiction and space travel, laser rifles etc, now the next Elder Scroll just might, those numbers will be a lot higher in my opinion anyway.

feynoob

Did you not notice that?
If that is what you are concerned, don't play the game.

The game showcased what you are going to do, and that is what you do when it launches.

feynoob

So your response to "Starfield" not generating a lot of buzz in comparison to other AAA games is to tell me about Skyrim? A game that released 13 years ago?

Should we add Redfall and Fallout 76 ?
Views means shit.
Game is huge and would gain tons of fans so you don't have to worry about that views.

All you need to know is that it's Bethesda and it's space game.
This is what you will do with your ship. The possibilities are endless.
4d1f5bdc9ce3618986b451a5545861e1

Pelta88

Views means shit.
Game is huge and would gain tons of fans so you don't have to worry about that views.

All you need to know is that it's Bethesda and it's space game.
This is what you will do with your ship. The possibilities are endless.

Firstly, we live in a world where views are the online metric for content. Pretending otherwise looks like damage control...

Secondly, do you know how many Bethesda games have been hot garbage. Large open "huge" world or otherwise?

dotnotbot

Anecdotal but, I've talked to multiple casuals that love Skyrim and either don't know about Starfield or aren't interested, are just waiting for the next Elder Scrolls. They got some promo work to do.

Same thing I predicted, this is new IP that doesn't ring any bells to casuals. Bethesda itself as a brand doesn't mean much either.

Last edited:

feynoob

Firstly, we live in a world where views are the online metric for content. Pretending otherwise looks like damage control...

Secondly, do you know how many Bethesda games have been hot garbage. Large open "huge" world or otherwise?
Ok buddy. Using fallout 76 to make look bas, while ignoring the masterpiece they put out before.

Also this is what happened to fallout76.

That game has been their least focus. It wasnt even a Bethesda type game. But right is in much better shape than launch.

You don't have to worry about it.

People will buy the game like Skyrim.

The thing is, Skyrim was also on PlayStation, plus this will be on GamePass so I don't see it hitting the same numbers.

As for the game, the ambition they're showing with so many (gameplay) systems can't be questioned and I hope it does very well. I'll probably wait a year or so after release before buying it (because of all the inevitable patches).

Last edited:
If that is what you are concerned, don't play the game.

The game showcased what you are going to do, and that is what you do when it launches.
Lol what? The team has done GOOD quests before. In the morrowind/oblivion days. But an rpg with bad questlines is a repetitive game/a mediocre game. Everyone should want great questlines. Otherwise you just shoot and raid ships pretty much. Mindless. No cohesion. Kids will love it though.

feynoob

Lol what? The team has done GOOD quests before. In the morrowind/oblivion days. But an rpg with bad questlines is a repetitive game/a mediocre game. Everyone should want great questlines. Otherwise you just shoot and raid ships pretty much. Mindless. No cohesion. Kids will love it though.
Judge the game when it releases. You wont see these stuff from a trailer, And even the showcase wont show you all the interesting and not interesting quests.

Judge the game when it releases. You wont see these stuff from a trailer, And even the showcase wont show you all the interesting and not interesting quests.

Well this isnt my first rodeo, if you know what to look for, you usually see signs of that. Thats my fear lol and Bethesda has done this before.loys of systems that will entertain the bros, but streamlined rpg systems and procedural quests underneath. And I didnt need to have that concern when the witcher 3 showed the crones of crookback bog questline for example.

Ill get the game, for mods if anything. So we'll see

The thing is, Skyrim was also on PlayStation, plus this will be on GamePass so I don't see it hitting the same numbers.

As for the game, the ambition they're showing with so many (gameplay) systems can't be questioned and I hope it does very well. I'll probably wait a year or so after release before buying it (because of all the inevitable patches).
It honestly really baffles me still that Microsoft owns Bethesda, I really don't like it. I wouldn't like it any more if it was Sony - I wish they had stayed independent. Especially in light of Skyrim's incredible lifetime numbers on all platforms - that's going to be somewhat hobbled moving forward. Seems like losing strategy for games as big as Elder Scrolls have become.

feynoob

Well this isnt my first rodeo, if you know what to look for, you usually see signs of that. Thats my fear lol and Bethesda has done this before.loys of systems that will entertain the bros, but streamlined rpg systems and procedural quests underneath. And I didnt need to have that concern when the witcher 3 showed the crones of crookback bog questline for example.

Ill get the game, for mods if anything. So we'll see
If you play something for a long time, you will find repetive stuff nonstop.
That is my current problem with movies right now. You can see the action before it even starts. That is the problem with consuming alot of content these days.

If you play something for a long time, you will find repetive stuff nonstop.
That is my current problem with movies right now. You can see the action before it even starts. That is the problem with consuming alot of content these days.
Ehhh I thibj theres a major diffierence to note in the quality of questlines in say...fallout 4 versus the witcher 3.

Or Oblivion to Skyrim. Acting like they are all the same is a quick way to not hold them accountable. Recognize who has raised the bar in that area. And try to reach that.

Of you try to act like its all equal, then there is no standard.

gothmog

Gold Member
Skyrim came out at the right place at the right time. Game of Thrones came out that same year.

Starfield is going to do great numbers but I doubt Skyrim level numbers.

feynoob

Ehhh I thibj theres a major diffierence to note in the quality of questlines in say...fallout 4 versus the witcher 3.

Or Oblivion to Skyrim. Acting like they are all the same is a quick way to not hold them accountable. Recognize who has raised the bar in that area. And try to reach that.

Of you try to act like its all equal, then there is no standard.
It depends on your taste.
Some quest is great for others while its shit for others.

The witcher 3 world gives a fresh breath to their quest line.

This hard sci-fi theme is going to be the best thing ever for a small niche of people. It usually doesn't have much mainstream appeal

In the end though if it reviews well people will come
Sad precedent if SPACE doesnt interest people as much as fantasy

feynoob

This hard sci-fi theme is going to be the best thing ever for a small niche of people. It usually doesn't have much mainstream appeal

In the end though if it reviews well people will come
Its space big AAA game.
You have people funding star citizen waiting for a game like that.

This is going to be huge with mainstream casuals.

Yoboman

Its space big AAA game.
You have people funding star citizen waiting for a game like that.

This is going to be huge with mainstream casuals.
Like I said, there are people who absolutely love the setting and will invest massively into it.

But hard sci-fi without fantasy and alien elements are rarely broad mainstream hits. This is true in games, movies etc.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Skyrim came out at the right place at the right time. Game of Thrones came out that same year.

Starfield is going to do great numbers but I doubt Skyrim level numbers.
Bro - we are literally sending people back to the moon next year.

feynoob

Like I said, there are people who absolutely love the setting and will invest massively into it.

But hard sci-fi without fantasy and alien elements are rarely broad mainstream hits. This is true in games, movies etc.
This is the dream for alot of people. Seeing what space is like.
No man sky showed that appeal. It sold 10+m in 2022, despite rough launch.

Now imagine that type of game with bethesda quality.

Top Bottom