• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Trailer reaches 3.4 Million views in 24 hours

gothmog

Gold Member
This is the dream for alot of people. Seeing what space is like.
No man sky showed that appeal. It sold 10+m in 2022, despite rough launch.

Now imagine that type of game with bethesda quality.
If they do 10 million that will be a huge success. Not sure what you're arguing. People are pointing out that space doesn't sell like fantasy with some really notable exceptions like basically Star Wars.

feynoob

If they do 10 million that will be a huge success. Not sure what you're arguing. People are pointing out that space doesn't sell like fantasy with some really notable exceptions like basically Star Wars.
A game like no man sky with shit release sold 10m.
Now imagine how much will a game like that sell from devs like rockstar, Bethesda and cdpr.

It's all about how you approach it and whether you have what people want.

Starfield seems to have what people are asking for. That is why it's going to be huge.

Skyrim came out at the right place at the right time. Game of Thrones came out that same year.

Starfield is going to do great numbers but I doubt Skyrim level numbers.
Don't just dismiss Skyrim's success as just blind luck, it was successful because people were hyped for a successor to Oblivion and Morrowind, which were also wildly popular.

If anything, there was a bit of negativity surrounding Skyrim's launch because of comparisons between its simplistic melee combat and Dark Souls', which had launched the month before.

gothmog

Gold Member
A game like no man sky with shit release sold 10m.
Now imagine how much will a game like that sell from devs like rockstar, Bethesda and cdpr.

It's all about how you approach it and whether you have what people want.

Starfield seems to have what people are asking for. That is why it's going to be huge.
Nobody was arguing otherwise. It's just probably not going to be Skyrim huge. Losing the PlayStation community alone is going to cost them millions in sales.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Anecdotal but, I've talked to multiple casuals that love Skyrim and either don't know about Starfield or aren't interested, are just waiting for the next Elder Scrolls. They got some promo work to do.
Did you tell them that the devs haven't even STARTED Elder Scrolls VI yet? Realistically we are talking about a 2030-2033 game. Releasing that trailer was such a huge, massive mistake I don't even know what the hell they were thinking. This is going to be me when it comes out:

amFyLW5.png

lucbr

Anecdotal but, I've talked to multiple casuals that love Skyrim and either don't know about Starfield or aren't interested, are just waiting for the next Elder Scrolls. They got some promo work to do.

Funny enough I have some friends who never played Skyrim or Fallout and are very interested in Starfield. The combat, ships, etc.

feynoob

Did you tell them that the devs haven't even STARTED Elder Scrolls VI yet? Realistically we are talking about a 2030-2033 game. Releasing that trailer was such a huge, massive mistake I don't even know what the hell they were thinking. This is going to be me when it comes out:

amFyLW5.png
Amen brother.
It's going to be a rough journey for us fans.
Hopefully mods can port Skyrim in to starfield planets.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I just bought Skyrim for my Switch even though I already got 800 hours+ in the game.
I might never play it but if I ever have a long messy dump I can at least run from Riverwood to Whiterun while at it 😃

Fredrik

I think he needs to keep up with the world.
He is cool guy, but sometimes I don't even understand his behaviors.
He’s extremely transparent, I’ve always assumed he’s a Sony shill but maybe he’s just a hardcore fan, I usually put these guys on ignore but any talk about Starfield is cool imo even when trying to find bad things about it, helps people discover it. Been talking to coworkers and MS/Bethesda definitely have an uphill battle winning over those who don’t play on Xbox or PC, most either don’t know the game exist or isn’t ready to buy a new console for one game or build a PC to play it. But those who already game on PC has been like - ”Wishlisted!!”. Nobody is choosing the MS Store version though so it seems like Gabe will be getting some extra pocket money lol

amFyLW5.png

Yes, I told the one guy Elder Scrolls 6 will be at LEAST 5 more years, probably more, and he was like “oh I think it will be out by 2025” — yeah sure, don’t trust your one gamer friend who lives and breathes this shit…

EDMIX

If that is what you are concerned, don't play the game.

The game showcased what you are going to do, and that is what you do when it launches.

Agreed.

This developer doesn't lie about shit like this and any demo they give, is what the game is going to be like. I get that we had some games that released in which a lot of it was um.....lies, you know....3 years later waiting for some fucking Ai lol, but I don't see anything like this with Starfield or Bethesda to really have this fake ass concern.

I worry about CDPR regarding that shit.

Starfield is the easiest day 1 this year (bugs and all)

When they are saying you can customize and build the ship, its not some Youtube trailer voice over that folks claim as "lore", its very much, factually a fucking thing.

a2VwHfjHkm4MsKibUb5Sr5-970-80.jpg.webp

When they are saying you can make a character that literally has parents as some background, that isn't some fucking thing you select that NEVER gets talked about or shown as some montage....its in the game.

starfield-character-creation-seems-very-challenging-right-v0-qfa4zlavmy591.jpg

When they say you can fight people in Zero G...that doesn't sound like some DLC you pay for 3 years later...they probably really mean that based on what was shown

starfield-combat_feature.jpg

You can literally dock other ships and rob them, loot the shit out of them, even fucking STEAL THE SHIP lol No, its not GTA, it doesn't need to be GTA, but I'd believe that stealing exist in the future, people will drive ships and shoot at you and you could shot back, so no folks..Starfield isn't copying GTA, they are merely making a open world RPG that actually makes sense to its narrative.

starfield-ship-docking-and-boarding-1024x576.jpg

Imagine the type of quest that can get started by boarding a ship you expect just to loot it and you find someone and you now need to wonder if they are friend or foe. Story is not just with what you say, its what you play and what happens around you, with less functions, you need to stress more on "dialog" and "telling" someone what the world is or isn't vs just showing it cause the team didn't know how to make Ai or have people drive cars even with almost a decade development, yet we have a game in space, thousands of planets and doing 100x more advanced shit with ships.

They managed to make a more advance game in literally less time then their revivals and more complex.

This is the last team anyone should be doubting as far as I'm concerned, they've proven that their features are not false promises or lies or exaggerations.

Imagine the failure it would be for a company to release the new Skyrim. They would all want to avoid this at all cost !

How basic can you be...

Of course they'd want the SUCCESS. But as a knowledgeable gamer, for me, who cares if it was the most successful...that doesnt mean it was the best elder scrolls, or best game. People like streamlined shit. Normies consume dumbed down things more than complex things. Look at film, books, music, religion etc.

Thats like saying drake and bad bunny are better than every artist out there because of sales. Or that a marvel film is better than say....Parasite because of sales. People like dumb shit. Goes for games too.

Problems arise when people like you associate more sales to better quality, bethesda may do the same. They may keep doing procedural quests, with streamlined systems, etc because most are too casual to notice the difference, and they'll make money anyway while doing less work.

The fact I have to explain this to you scares me. I usually have to explain this type of stuff to dude bros who dont really follow the hobby or get deep into things. Not someone I'd consider a fellow nerd lol the internets changed man.

cireza

How basic can you be...

Of course they'd want the SUCCESS. But as a knowledgeable gamer, for me, who cares if it was the most successful...that doesnt mean it was the best elder scrolls, or best game. People like streamlined shit. Normies consume dumbed down things more than complex things. Look at film, books, music, religion etc.

Thats like saying drake and bad bunny are better than every artist out there because of sales. Or that a marvel film is better than say....Parasite because of sales. People like dumb shit. Goes for games too.

Problems arise when people like you associate more sales to better quality, bethesda may do the same. They may keep doing procedural quests, with streamlined systems, etc because most are too casual to notice the difference, and they'll make money anyway while doing less work.

The fact I have to explain this to you scares me. I usually have to explain this type of stuff to dude bros who dont really follow the hobby or get deep into things. Not someone I'd consider a fellow nerd lol the internets changed man.
This has to be the most off the mark answer I have gotten in a long time.

You automatically jumped on the "quality" train, passing for an ultimate edge lord of good taste in the process, while my post never was about quality to begin with. You might be a bit too prompt to share your superior knowledge to the plebs.

Morrowind is a reference for you ? What a loser. Play some Daggerfall :messenger_sunglasses:

This has to be the most off the mark answer I have gotten in a long time.

You automatically jumped on the "quality" train, passing for an ultimate edge lord of good taste in the process, while my post never was about quality to begin with. You might be a bit too prompt to share your superior knowledge to the plebs.

Morrowind is a reference for you ? What a loser. Play some Daggerfall :messenger_sunglasses:
Lol wait so you assumed I said "another Skyrim" in regards to its sales numbers?

You'd have to be an idiot to assume i'm not referring to anything but quality. Everyone knows it was the highest selling game.

Try again. Or stop communicating dishonestly for optics. Or admit that you correlated sales success to quality lol

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
It honestly really baffles me still that Microsoft owns Bethesda, I really don't like it. I wouldn't like it any more if it was Sony - I wish they had stayed independent. Especially in light of Skyrim's incredible lifetime numbers on all platforms - that's going to be somewhat hobbled moving forward. Seems like losing strategy for games as big as Elder Scrolls have become.

It's on a subscription service. Key success factor is retail sales + engagement factor.

Such a weird comment when you know success metrics have changed... And they'll be celebration a crazy number of players.

Raven117

I need to see a good questline first lol

And how interesting the loot variety is and how leveling systems are, is there level scaling?

I just have doubts about those things, because all those systems are cool and all, but if you have a bunch of procedural quests or lack of creativity in creating context or interesting scenarios, then you just have another skyrim. The bros who wont notice those things will love it because they just wanna fuck around, but those people that favor morrowind, witcher, oblivion etc. Will notice its bland underneath the cosmetics.
Lol. Probably won’t be as good story wise as Witcher 3. But will be good enough to pull you through the world…. Like all of their other games

Ozriel

M$FT
Like I said, there are people who absolutely love the setting and will invest massively into it.

But hard sci-fi without fantasy and alien elements are rarely broad mainstream hits. This is true in games, movies etc.

Space is mainstream as hell.

No Man's Sky had 212k concurrent players at launch... And that's got nothing near the hype levels Starfield will reach.

All they need to do is hit the right quality band

Lol. Probably won’t be as good story wise as Witcher 3. But will be good enough to pull you through the world…. Like all of their other games
Not skyrim or fallout 4.

I just want the questlines to be as good as morrowind or Oblivion. Just give me that again.

After that they started going procedural with less hand written stuff. Which meant more fetch or simple cave raids.

Last edited:
Actually, it is you who are assuming things about what I said. Maybe try to understand what you read, without imagining additional stuff, before answering ?

You quoted me, with a simple post assuming that I wasnt aware that skyrim was successful or something. And sarcastically said "oh my another succesful game, why would they want that."

You didn't understand that I was referring to skyrims quality. Which you probably didnt understand because you think there is nothing wrong with that game. And thats fine.

Or you are equating success to quality...which I addressed is flawed.

But lets not pretend that I'm the one misunderstanding you lol

Last edited:

feynoob

How basic can you be...

I dont want to be rude, but I believe they are more expert than you.

It's on a subscription service. Key success factor is retail sales + engagement factor.

Such a weird comment when you know success metrics have changed... And they'll be celebration a crazy number of players.
I don't really see how "engagement" on a relatively cheap service compares to selling 10s of millions of copies. Those people would have to subscribe for months to even generate the value of one MSRP sale. You're right - I don't get the subscription scenario. They need a lot more volume of subscribers for that to work I think. We will see how it goes, but I'm more interested in results from Elder Scrolls VI being that this is a new IP. To me it seems like throwing money away.

I dont want to be rude, but I believe they are more expert than you.
Who bethesda? Thats like saying the little mermaid director is more of an expert than me, so I can't critique their movie. Is this really what we're doing?

They'll listen to the numbers. Yes thats true. The same way Drake will listen to his numbers and wont feel the need to compete with Lupe Fiasco in lyricism. Lupe is still better though.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
People are seriously comparing a new space ip from Bethesda, to a beloved Disney owned comic book character everyone grew up with??

Ok, how does Sony’s other games at the show compare to Spiderman? How does Starfield compare to other trailers featuring new ip?

Comparing it to Spiderman is just plain dumb.

Nubulax

Same here actually... a few people I know who LOVED Skyrim dont give one shit about Starfield

feynoob

Who bethesda? Thats like saying the little mermaid director is more of an expert than me, so I can't critique their movie. Is this really what we're doing?

They'll listen to the numbers. Yes thats true. The same way Drake will listen to his numbers and wont feel the need to compete with Lupe Fiasco in lyricism. Lupe is still better though.
I mean that they have experts who knows this stuff more than us. Plus they have expert gamers who gives them feedback on what to improve.
That is my 2cents.

cireza

You quoted me, with a simple post assuming that I wasnt aware that skyrim was successful or something. And sarcastically said "oh my another succesful game, why would they want that."

You didn't understand that I was referring to skyrims quality. Which you probably didnt understand because you think there is nothing wrong with that game. And thats fine.

Or you are equating success to quality...which I addressed is flawed.

But lets not pretend that I'm the one misunderstanding you lol
Your answer is 100% based on you interpreting my answer as you see fit, which never was about quality of the games.

Stop taking people for dumb or insulting them. How pretentious can you be ? I perfectly understood your initial post and simply reacted to the fact that Skyrim was a huge success, regardless of its perceived quality, when you presented it as being a bad thing to achieve a game like it.

Everything else is your fantasy world.

Last edited:

Pelta88

Taken from Discord. Just stats so the usual suspect need not shed a tear.

Screenshot_2023-06-13_at_15.06.52.png

That Sonic Superstars though 🔥🔥🔥

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I don't really see how "engagement" on a relatively cheap service compares to selling 10s of millions of copies. Those people would have to subscribe for months to even generate the value of one MSRP sale. You're right - I don't get the subscription scenario. They need a lot more volume of subscribers for that to work I think. We will see how it goes, but I'm more interested in results from Elder Scrolls VI being that this is a new IP. To me it seems like throwing money away.

You can’t have both scenarios manifest. Either the game hikes up the subscription count or it sells plenty at retail.

They’ll sell millions on Steam and console, and still get money from million of subscribers. Subscribers are very often ‘sticky’, so people subbing to play a massive game like Starfield for months are likely to stick around for the long haul.

That’s how it works. They aren’t going to be releasing Starfield scope games every quarter. Meanwhile engaged subscribers brought into the ecosystem are likely to stay.

Not to mention additional revenue from premium add-ons (similar to how they did for Forza Horizon 5) and paid expansions they’re working on.

You folks really need to come to terms with GamePass. And even with the service, Steam sales will easily cover dev costs and more.

Firstly, we live in a world where views are the online metric for content. Pretending otherwise looks like damage control...

Secondly, do you know how many Bethesda games have been hot garbage. Large open "huge" world or otherwise?
Game made by main BGS team all are GOTY winners.

76 made different team under BGS banner, not main Skyrim team.Todd was only producer on 76 not director.

Plus 76 is vastly improved game now with million players. Its also getting good content support.

Pelta88

Views wars is the new war of 2023 after pixel wars.

I think you're confused. Numbers don't have an opinion and never lie. The numbers are what they are. Extrapolating a negative view from a statistical fact, speaks volumes about creating said opinion.

Last edited:

DeNoro

Neo Member
I'm first and foremost a Playstation player and fan, but I must say that the game is looking fantastic. I've never really been a fan o Bethesda nor Xbox's games, and even though I wasn't impressed when it was first announced, this last showcase made me want buy an Xbox just to play it. It's been a while since i've been that excited to play a game. It really has become a system seller, in my opnion.

Top Bottom