• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Is Stardock making any new game? There is an entry for a game by them, maybe Sins of Solar Empire is finally actually coming to steam.

Also, there is a bit of an odd registry entry, something called "ValveTestAppILTC", it has no game tied to it though, but it does grant 2 guest passes. Any idea of what ILTC could stand for? Doesn't have anything to do with Counter Strike, since that has a proper entry (Which likely means Valve is going to release the beta for GO in a few days)

Corto

Volcynika said:
It's like when they fixed how the Witcher 2 was patched. Basically making the patching easier where you don't have to download a large amount of data for what is a small patch. You might have to re-download the game after it does that, though.

Thanks! Also Steam is freezing and unresponsive like crazy for the last few days... Patch this Gabe!

MNC

wilflare said:
if you don't wanna use cdkey sites
just add me on steam = same GAFnick
i'll get you the game at USD pricing for paypal
Skyrim actually has proper USD/EU conversion; it's 60 dollars on steam and 50 euros.

gogogo weekend deal
lol dont you mean midweek ;3

Relax.MX

confused said:
GO GO GOOD WEEKEND DEAL !

I have money to spend, so bring it on Valve.

confused
(Today, 08:21 AM)
Cm6cz.jpg

Well my wallet hates me right now....

Caved in and preorderd Skyrim and MW3 today. So those mixed with Batman equals a steam library that is laughing and taunting me till they release. I have never really preorderd steam games except for Valve titles do they normally do preloading for every big name release?

confused

Banned
ymmv said:
Yep. Some of the bans are ridiculous...

Really ? I think they're quite fair. Salsa had it coming for quite a while. Six months is a bit excessive, but it has accumulated over time. One thing you must remeber is that some times mods let something you do slide, but hold you accountable for it on future offenses.

So while their reason for the actual banning may not seem so severe, previous actions by said user probably were enough to the point that a mod decides to draw a line and ban someone.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Snkfanatic said:
Well my wallet hates me right now....

Caved in and preorderd Skyrim and MW3 today. So those mixed with Batman equals a steam library that is laughing and taunting me till they release. I have never really preorderd steam games except for Valve titles do they normally do preloading for every big name release?

It can vary from publisher to publisher. However, Bethesda's last (published) game, Fallout: New Vegas, had a preload. So Skyrim is a pretty safe bet.

Edit: also, guys, I think Stump made it pretty clear:

Stumpokapow said:
Moderation feedback

If you guys have specific comments on someone being banned, it makes more sense to PM a moderator to ask for clarification. SalsaShark's ban is not permanent and he is free to discuss it with you guys, but it really serves no purpose to derail the thread complaining about it. If people keep replying with posts about the subject, I'm just going to delete the posts. I'm not trying to suppress anyone, just trying to keep the thread related to the subject in the thread title.

The purpose of the thread is to discuss games. New games, old games, games on sale, games not on sale, Steam registry leaks, game impressions, performance impressions, reviews, gifting and international pricing, whatever. We give a lot of leeway, I don't think anyone is bothered that general PC gaming discussion occurs in here.

EviLore's comment that the thread could be moved to Community referred to the fact that probably a majority of the replies in this specific OT3 have been community style stuff. "Yo buds what's up" "Who else in da steam cru" "Lol u sexy man" "whats ur library worth" kind of stuff. It's not hard to simply not reply if you don't have anything to say that's gaming related. We don't moderate this thread particularly strictly, so it's not like I'm trying to be gestapo here and say that there can never be a mildly off-topic reply, but the balance is totally out of whack right now.

There's a GAF Steam Chat, there are PMs, there's the community forum, people are welcome to do an IRC chat--or you could even just include some gaming-related content when you feel the need to make a senseless community reply. A chat room is better suited to low content back-and-forth banter anyway. It's all good. The thread isn't going to move itself to the community forum, it'll be moved if people choose to continue making tons of non-gaming related posts and treating it like a subcommunity instead of a thread to discuss gaming in.

If anyone has any input in terms of ideas to help keep the thread gaming related, feel free to PM them to me. I've tried to do a good job of encouraging people to get back on track, and personally posting to set an example by providing detailed game impressions and replying to others who provide detailed game impressions.

You can also PM me with complaints about this issue, but we apply this standard to every thread, and if anything this thread has gotten more leeway than most. Just skim any random page and you'll see a huge percentage of the posts not being game related.

I hope this can be considered the "last word" on the issue and that anyone who has any feedback sends it to me or another moderator via PM. If you PM me, I will respond to the best of my ability. Any no-content "mods suck" or "free salsa" or whatever posts made after this will be deleted.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Started playing Costume Quest last night, demonstrated how clueless I am about button layout on the 360 controller ("PRESS B NOW", FFFFFUUU, "LOL YOU SUCK"). Loving the restrained insults and retorts from the monster dudes. Head felt a bit swimmy after an hour or so, not sure if it was motion sickness from the boss-like rollerskates or the cold I've got.

plc268

JaseC said:
Grid has been on sale more times than Torchlight at this point.

No, not even close. Torchlight, Trine, and Titan Quest are all probably running for the game on sale the most. Grid has only been on sale a few times.

But, I'm sure someone will probably dig into past sales to prove me wrong.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
plc268 said:
No, not even close. Torchlight, Trine, and Titan Quest are all probably running for the game on sale the most. Grid has only been on sale a few times.

But, I'm sure someone will probably dig into past sales to prove me wrong.

The comment was in jest. It has been on sale a fair few times, though.

Edit: Of those three, Titan Quest likely has the edge owing to THQ (publisher) sales.

Gvaz

Banned
Gez said:
Gamestop buying Impulse was the best thing to happen to Impulse. The whole 'We won't stock Steamworks games' approach wasn't smart and all it did was make them less money.
hur dur, lets stock a competitor's products, my name is Gamestop.

Also who the fuck designed that page, holy jesus.

The First Templar is not available in Spain, is it in the rest of Europe?

Also, that new Humble Bundle looks great even if I already own The Binding of Isaac. Blocks that Matter is on my wishlist. Way better than the three last ones if Voxatron really is included.

Lothars

I really hope that Street Fighter 4 arcade is on sale soon, I want to pick it up but have been waiting for a sale on it first.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Come on guys, I thought I was being reasonable. Continuing to reply with "I don't plan on continuing the derail but I just need to say this one last thing" IS continuing the derail. If you have questions about moderation, PM me or another moderator. I have you questions about bans, PM me or another moderator. Any further post containing content about moderation or bans will be deleted in its entirety.

JaseC

Lothars said:
I really hope that Street Fighter 4 arcade is on sale soon, I want to pick it up but have been waiting for a sale on it first.

It's a recent Capcom game - expect 20% off at best during the Christmas sale.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Drkirby said:
Is Stardock making any new game? There is an entry for a game by them, maybe Sins of Solar Empire is finally actually coming to steam.

That would be nice. I know they came out with that new expansion, but I don't like giving money to Game Stop so I haven't had a chance to play it. Wouldn't mind if they brought over Galactic Civilization 2 as well.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Lothars said:
You missed the first 10 minutes of when the game came out sale.

It was being sold for 25 bucks or something like that, due to a bug.

JaseC

MRORANGE said:
It's a brilliant racing game, it's a cross cross between GT and NFS (BUY IT)

tt

As a general rule, racing games aren't my cup of tea. I purchased Grid earlier in the year simply because it was irresistibly cheap. :p

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
This is certainly the lowest Grid has gone. Working backwards: It was on sale in July for 4.99. Then June for 10. Then during the winter sale for 10. It was also apparently on sale for about $5 during June of 2010. That's kind of weird. It was on sale one more time before that, too. So, in total: five times in the last year.

Trine has been on sale 9 separate times (including Summer/Winter sales). Including daily specials within sales, Trine has been on sale 10 times, going as low as $2.00.

Torchlight has been on sale 6 times (including Summer/Winter), and 9 times, including daily specials within big sales events.

Nabs

drizzle said:
You missed the first 10 minutes of when the game came out sale.

It was being sold for 25 bucks or something like that, due to a bug.

Yeah, it was like $22 or so during the first day of the Summer sale. It was a big mistake, but a ton of people picked it up. It's a pretty damn good port, so definitely grab that when it goes on sale.

Oh look, Dungeon Siege DLC is out. http://store.steampowered.com/app/39270/
header_292x136.jpg

Gvaz

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Come on guys, I thought I was being reasonable. Continuing to reply with "I don't plan on continuing the derail but I just need to say this one last thing" IS continuing the derail. If you have questions about moderation, PM me or another moderator. I have you questions about bans, PM me or another moderator. Any further post containing content about moderation or bans will be deleted in its entirety.
Sorry, I'll edit my post out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom