• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danj

So I just bought a decent pc and got a Steam account. I see that Dragon Age 1+2 is on sale for $10 on amazon, except it activates on Origin. Now, my question is: should I hold out and expect a similar kind of sale this summer or later down the line on Steam, or is the only way to get EA games on the cheap through Origin? Is Origin even that bad?

Thanks and sorry if this is the sort of question that gets asked all the time, or if this isn't the right thread to ask it in.

EA games will never be on Steam any more now that they have Origin. Personally I don't think Origin's that bad (though I also don't think it's anywhere near as good as Steam), but you won't see the same kind of sale deals on Origin's own store that you do on Steam. So as you mention, Amazon is probably your best bet for cheapo Origin downloads. Also, any EA retail disc game that's available on Origin can be activated on your Origin account. Games released after about 2008 you can do this automatically with the redeem code function, games before that (like Mass Effect 1 or C&C3) you can load up the EA Live Chat thing, speak to one of their support people, give them the CD keys and they will activate it manually for you. The advantage here is that the Origin versions of some of the older games (Mass Effect 1 in particular) have got Cloud support for the save games. (EDIT: and obviously most of the newer games have this right from the start).

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Do EA even make games that they don't think "carry weight" though? Well, let me rephrase it then, EA games that are on Origin will never be on Steam.

They recently released Warp and Sims: Katy Perry. Basically, the only games that EA will release on Steam from now on are ones where it is important to have as large a potential buying base as possible. Anything that has a built in community or a loyal fanbase will only be released on Origin.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Do EA even make games that they don't think "carry weight" though? Well, let me rephrase it then, EA games that are on Origin will never be on Steam.

Wrong again. The Sims 3 expansions and Warp were both recently added on Steam. Both games are on Origin as well.

I'm pretty sure all Sims 3 stuff is done internally as well.

hym

Banned
Actually it seems to be more like this, currently:

Internally developed EA games: only on Origin.

EA published external titles: on Steam.

Sims3 is EA developed and I would even say it carries some weight, in retail stores it's consistently in PC best selling charts but that might not exactly overlap with the Steam audience though.

The reason for Origin exclusives is simple, if it were up to gamers choice the service would be a graveyard so they need to force people to use it somehow.

Random Psychonauts question, as I'm currently playing it (it's awesome BTW). Night has fallen in the camp and I want to go back to collect things I missed, but would prefer to do it when there's daylight out. Does that happen or is it nighttime for the rest of the game?

DTKT

Sims3 is EA developed and I would even say it carries some weight, in retail stores it's consistently in PC best selling charts but that might not exactly overlap with the Steam audience though.

The reason for Origin exclusives is simple, if it were up to gamers choice the service would be a graveyard so they need to force people to use it somehow.

Pretty much. Most high profile games will be Origin exclusive.

Random Psychonauts question, as I'm currently playing it (it's awesome BTW). Night has fallen in the camp and I want to go back to collect things I missed, but would prefer to do it when there's daylight out. Does that happen or is it nighttime for the rest of the game?

Daylight doesn't come back.

Good job giving Activision more money. That will teach them. :|

I know this already, as Bizarre Creations has shut down long ago they wont get any of my money. This is why I specifically stated I'm buying it in honor of Bizarre Creations.

PS. I believe I acknowledged my respectful act for Bizarre in combination with my hate for the result that is giving Activision money in my post as well, did you miss my message in red?
Should I buy Blood Stone because I liked Bizarre, or shouldn't I buy Blood Stone because I liked Bizarre?
I'd say buy, if you liked Bizarre and their games.

-I wouldn't avoid a nice kid just because his adoptive parent's were dicks. (Inb4 "you wouldn't steal a car,etc...")
wtfsteam.png

Go Steam! That's what happened when I tried to go to the Community tab just now. :p
what is that, the screen is too small to read anything clearly...

It that a skin? how did you get all your games to show up like that?

Nabs

I think EA games with multiplayer will remain exclusive to Origin. They are really rolling hard with the Steamworks approach.

I can't even remember the name of that co-op game they released a month or two ago, but it could have used some Steam love.

1-D_FTW

The Dirt Takedown trailers on the front page actually caught my interest. I was thinking that Destruction Derby was kind of cool. But for some reason I was assuming this was a DD only spin-off and was going to be budget priced. Didn't hit me until the end of the videos it was going full release. Bomba.

Just finished Machinarium. Very charming and fun game, took my around 4-5 hours. It was perfect for my adventure fix.

Can't wait for Botanicula.

InertiaXr

The Dirt Takedown trailers on the front page actually caught my interest. I was thinking that Destruction Derby was kind of cool. But for some reason I was assuming this was a DD only spin-off and was going to be budget priced. Didn't hit me until the end of the videos it was going full release. Bomba.

Although it's not good to wish harm/games to bomb for basically any dev, I will not be in any way sad if this as you said FULL PRICE spinoff thing bombs hard and Codemasters might finally understand that the only thing people want from Dirt is more rally stuff. I bought Dirt 3 at full price at launch after Codemasters said seemingly over and over that 'its way more rally guys!' and that Gymkhana would be a 'small factor' and then I played it and most of the career is Gymkhana/the lap races/not rally or even trailblazer. I even tried to play rally online with GAF but we only went for it seemed about a month before we had done all the rally tracks 10 times each and got bored.

Only games I bought at full price this generation were GTA4, Dirt 3, and Shogun 2. Got burned hard on 2 of those 3, GTA4 wasn't more VC or SA, Dirt 3 didn't have much rally at all like the devs said it would, and Shogun 2 was great. So now it's just Steam sales for me.

Card Boy

Banned
Do we know if Max Mayne 3 will be Steamworks or GFWL? The multiplayer looks sick, but will avoid at launch if its GFWL because the game will be dead in my region as people avoid GFWL like the plauge over here.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Do we know if Max Mayne 3 will be Steamworks or GFWL? The multiplayer looks sick, but will avoid at launch if its GFWL because the game will be dead in my region as people avoid GFWL like the plauge over here.

I was going to make a joke about "Max Mayne" but I'm too tired.

If it is like their last few games, it'll be Steamworks on Steam and nowhere else. Retail and other DD stores will be Gameshield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom