• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unai

It's a terrible, terrible option for games made with gamepads in mind.
It's an amazing, simply glorious option for games made with mouse + keyboard in mind.
As long as you treat it as a wireless mouse/keyboard, it's amazing.
Best to have a good gamepad handy as well, I can't imagine enjoying old 2D platformers on SC.

I don't completely agree. It's also amazing for games like Dark Souls that were obviously made with gamepad in mind. I also have a Dualshock 4 and an Xbox one controller, but I use the Steam Controller yo play such games.

It's an amazing, simply glorious option for games made with mouse + keyboard in mind.
Best to have a good gamepad handy as well, I can't imagine enjoying old 2D platformers on SC.

Drawing the line down the middle for "games made with gamepads in mind" is a poor dichotomy. I think the Steam Controller works best for games that do straddle the line between gamepad and keyboard/mouse games - the games where you wish you could use both at the same time somehow. The analog movement of the stick plus the touchpad precision makes a lot of first or third person action games feel really good even as just an augmentation of existing controllers. MGSV is really good with the SC!

My favorite use of the device so far has been Dragon Age Origins. The PC interface is much better than the console version's gamepad UI, and the Steam Controller allows you to play the game naturally yet maintain that extra power.

Wok

hmm...

036 / 430 - Beholder added to market for 0.10CDN$.
037 / 430 - Beholder added to market for 0.17CDN$.

It can happen that someone listed a card, or bought a card in the mean time. This is all I can think of which would explain the bump. I think otherwise it would have listed both at 0.10CDN$ anyway, so you can only win.

Wow I just did it and it listed 430 cards, does it do automatically set to 1c less than lowest price?

It is explained by madjoki in the quotes that I posted in my previous message. One cent below the maximum of ( first listing , weekly average price ). With the fork, it is one cent above this max, rather than one cent below.

Hakkelus

Hope I know how to do this..

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Minion Masters -- MB-C40C8E9AEB5D3DC0 - Taken by Large Professor

Tizoc

Hmmmmmm... is this the best KQ package I can buy? I remember there was some confusion regarding an epilogue or something like that. If this is the best choice, I'll probably get it, I have episode 1 and it's awesome!

This one has the epilogue as per the page's description.

It can happen that someone listed a card, or bought a card in the mean time. This is all I can think of which would explain the bump. I think otherwise it would have listed both at 0.10CDN$ anyway, so you can only win.

It is explained by madjoki in the quotes that I posted in my previous message. One cent below the maximum of ( first listing , weekly average price ). With the fork, it is one cent above this max, rather than one cent below.

Yea i dont really care, that is like 3 cents after Steam takes all my profits.

Endruen

I beat Magicka with it with no issues. I'm currently using it for REmake too. I've only used i with games that use the left stick and the face buttons so I had no problems, Magicka being the only exception and it worked just fine. I wanna beat Dark Souls 3 with it after seeing the option to set a wheel of objects and actions.
I have my PS3 controllers as backup, though, and I'm planning on buying an Xbox One controller so I have more compatibility.

KingBroly

Banned
I'm personally hoping for good sales on:

- MK XL
- BoI Rebirth
- DQ Heroes
- RotTR DLC

I got stuck on Episode 2 of King's Quest. That's why I stopped playing it.

Deques

No, only Full Experience users got that, you need to buy it later when it will release for everyone.

I had to look for the information myself, but it seems that you are incorrect. The upgrade pack also includes the bonus episode

edit: Also I noticed this: HITMAN™ Upgrade Pack (Episodes 2-7) [DLC]

Javier23

Banned
I had to look for the information myself, but it seems that you are incorrect. The upgrade pack also includes the bonus episode

edit: Also I noticed this: HITMAN™ Upgrade Pack (Episodes 2-7) [DLC]
Maybe I'm making this up but I always thought there was supposed to be a 7th final mission acting as an epilogue of sorts in a secret location that wouldn't be revealed until it was about to be released. Then that was quietly sweeped under the rug and never heard about it again and instead they've been working on these 3 bonus episodes. Or that's the impression I got, if there were any announcement about the change of plans I just missed it all.

Nzyme32

Hitman is pretty great so far. I find it much more fun to play when the game doesn't give too many solutions, so it was best to turn the "opertunities" bit to minimal so that it isn't so obvious but still possible to work things out yourself

I'll probably only get Tyranny.

You chose wisely

Knurek

I have my PS3 controllers as backup, though, and I'm planning on buying an Xbox One controller so I have more compatibility.

I can't praise Wii U Pro controller enough.
You can get it + Mayflash Adapter for price of X1 controller, and enjoy SteamCon-like battery life (3 months since I bought it and it's still at more than 25% charge) and proper Dinput and Xinput support (unlike X1 pad, which has problems in many games).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You have at least 2 sites right now with most of the same discounts that steam will have. Hell four. The dailies and flash deals are gone and with them any excitmemt sales generated since you see all on day one now.

Plus all you (and by you I mean the general you) will be doing is say how shit the sales are compared to years past anyway.

Its like getting excited for the new season of Quantico to start. Its shit and you get the same drivel in 5 other shows.

Bah fucking humbug

I'm actually looking solely at Steam right now because the pricing is localized, so it has already lower prices than usual, in addition to the discount.

You can get it + Mayflash Adapter for price of X1 controller, and enjoy SteamCon-like battery life (3 months since I bought it and it's still at more than 25% charge) and proper Dinput and Xinput support (unlike X1).

my only gripe really is that you cannot really fully customize it, since it locks the face buttons to the same letters as XB's

It looks like AmazonUS has jumped the gun and put the Steam Controller and Link on sale. The Controller + Case is $35 again, and the Link is back down to $20.

Every time the Link goes on sale, I'm obligated to tell people that are considering something like this to pull the trigger.

It's worked incredibly for me and has taken PC gaming to where it deserves to be: the couch.

neoemonk

I bought a Steam Link and Controller about a year ago and paid full price. I really love the Link and I think it keeps getting better. I've got RetroArch running with it and I really enjoy playing Steam games on the TV as well. I wired my basement with CAT 6 over a year ago though, so I can't speak to the wireless performance.

As far as the controller, it's not as great for me but I haven't played a ton of games where it would be beneficial. I'm not crazy about the pad as a replacement for the right stick in games like Dark Souls 3 for example. I bought a few cheaper PS4 controllers however, and with the Link detecting those and good profiles available I just use those.

I should actually give Crusader Kings is a try on the Link with the controller, assuming I could read the text on it.

Knurek

my only gripe really is that you cannot really fully customize it, since it locks the face buttons to the same letters as XB's

It doesn't anymore.
Mayflash has an updated driver on their website which allows for switching the schemes to match the placement instead of letters.

Nabs

Every time the Link goes on sale, I'm obligated to tell people that are considering something like this to pull the trigger.

It's worked incredibly for me and has taken PC gaming to where it deserves to be: the couch.

I use it daily. It's amazing. It also is a great way to browse the net or use your desktop from the couch. It's a steal for 20.

pvpness

I use it daily. It's amazing. It also is a great way to browse the net or use your desktop from the couch. It's a steal for 20.

Can't agree hard enough. The last time they went on sale for $20 I bought one for every TV in the house. It's so smooth and easy it was impossible not to.

Grief.exe

It looks like AmazonUS has jumped the gun and put the Steam Controller and Link on sale. The Controller + Case is $35 again, and the Link is back down to $20.

At this point I should just wait for the refresh.

Nabs, do you ever use the analog stick? I've always seen that as a stopgap for people who were unable to wrap their head around the design and assumed it would be removed in the next iteration.

I bought a Steam Link and Controller about a year ago and paid full price. I really love the Link and I think it keeps getting better. I've got RetroArch running with it and I really enjoy playing Steam games on the TV as well. I wired my basement with CAT 6 over a year ago though, so I can't speak to the wireless performance.

As far as the controller, it's not as great for me but I haven't played a ton of games where it would be beneficial. I'm not crazy about the pad as a replacement for the right stick in games like Dark Souls 3 for example. I bought a few cheaper PS4 controllers however, and with the Link detecting those and good profiles available I just use those.

I should actually give Crusader Kings is a try on the Link with the controller, assuming I could read the text on it.

Some games have UI scaling, but it's far from ubiquitous.

ParityBit

It's already on sale for €10 at the Square Enix store, Steam key and all!

I just played some 1949 and it seems super addicting. Anyone else played it? Does it have a lot of content?

Will the US store have the same drop you think? Man, just open the sale already!

derFeef

I always use the right analogue stick with the steam controller. I just can't use the right pad personally.
edit: got the sides mixed up ;)

Nabs

At this point I should just wait for the refresh.

Nabs, do you ever use the analog stick? I've always seen that as a stopgap for people who were unable to wrap their head around the design and assumed it would be removed in the next iteration.

You know what, I didn't think I'd use the analog stick much at first, but ended up really liking it. It leaves the Left Trackpad open for touch/radial menus, making it easy to reach all of my important hotkeys. It also handles WASD (+walk/run modifiers) very well.

For $35, I honestly think you'll find plenty of enjoyment with it. Especially if you enjoy playing slightly older PC games, or modern games that were designed with PC/KB in mind. I'd say 95% of my playtime has been at my desk, so don't think it's only a couch controller. It has replaced my KB/M for anything that isn't competitive.

pvpness

I tried it at a friend's house and the lag got annoying after a few minutes. She said that's just how it always is.

There's something wrong then. I've got 2 of mine wired and two wireless (one on a whole floor below my router) and the only time I ever see lag on any of them is when I'm just starting up sometimes, or something on my pc interrupts big picture.

Endruen

You can get it + Mayflash Adapter for price of X1 controller, and enjoy SteamCon-like battery life (3 months since I bought it and it's still at more than 25% charge) and proper Dinput and Xinput support (unlike X1 pad, which has problems in many games).

Yeah, Wii U Pro controller is great, but I don't feel the need for a Mayflash Adapter. Besides, the Steam Link has in-built support for it.

Grief.exe

I tried it at a friend's house and the lag got annoying after a few minutes. She said that's just how it always is.

Bad wireless connection.

You know what, I didn't think I'd use the analog stick much at first, but ended up really liking it. It leaves the Left Trackpad open for touch/radial menus, making it easy to reach all of my important hotkeys. It also handles WASD (+walk/run modifiers) very well.

For $35, I honestly think you'll find plenty of enjoyment with it. Especially if you enjoy playing slightly older PC games, or modern games that were designed with PC/KB in mind. I'd say 95% of my playtime has been at my desk, so don't think it's only a couch controller. It has replaced my KB/M for anything that isn't competitive.

Thanks for the feedback.

Oreoleo

As much as I love the Steam controller (And I do, a lot), I've never found the left pad to be a suitable replacement for movement with an analog stick, either in 2D or 3D games. IMO the analog stick is a completely vital part of the design and removing it would be a huge misstep.

Anno

As much as I love the Steam controller (And I do, a lot), I've never found the left pad to be a suitable replacement for movement with an analog stick, either in 2D or 3D games. IMO the analog stick is a completely vital part of the design and removing it would be a huge misstep.

Agreed. Left stick is pretty necessary. And then the left pad is available for stuff like custom menus and actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom