• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | Discussion Thread - Everyone's favorite PC Platform

madjoki

It has to have a catch. I don't get it.

Decompression uses CPU and takes time. Could cause issues with some games.
Decompression time is of course offset by reading smaller files will taking less time.

Most games won't use 100% of CPU anyways, so there's some to spare.

Of course this all depends on how exactly game read files, so only way is to test it.

redlacs

Medved-Taiga is out and it looks gorgeous!

20171017180321_1.jpg
20171017180831_1.jpg
20171017190812_1.jpg

20171017192653_1.jpg
20171017202141_1.jpg
20171017203318_1.jpg

20171017204649_1.jpg
20171017205347_1.jpg
20171017210721_1.jpg

20171017210948_1.jpg
20171017211227_1.jpg
20171017211929_1.jpg

These shots are from my first 3 hours today. It's quite hard for me to follow the main story, even though its well narrated. Basically sidetracked after the first random animal call and it went wild from there.
Its also hard to keep an eye on the sneaky animals while constantly trying to inhale the breathtaking scenery. Can't even stay mad that some achievements aren't working again because I feel relaxed to the max. gg

Decompression uses CPU and takes time. Could cause issues with some games.
Decompression time is of course offset by reading smaller files will taking less time.

Most games won't use 100% of CPU anyways, so there's some to spare.

Of course this all depends on how exactly game read files, so only way is to test it.

The CPU usage might not matter so much since games tend to make limited use of multithreading for computation, so you're likely have idle cores on a modern system.

Knurek

You know, it's sometimes just easier to use uncompressed datafiles, especially in a multi-platform game.
Consoles/portables don't have CPU cycles to spare for runtime data decompression. Our CPUs are running most of the time on idle, so yea, there's loads of cycles to spare.
(Of course, the tool won't help much with games that use compression for assets)

madjoki

Ucchedavāda;252314828 said:
The CPU usage might not matter so much since games tend to make limited use of multithreading for computation, so you're likely have idle cores on a modern system.

That's what I meant

Plesiades

In other interesting news... ActiBlizz has a patent on "Promoting MT through Matchmaking".
"In a particular example, the junior player may wish to become an expert sniper in a game (e.g., as determined from the player profile)," according to the patent. "The microtransaction engine may match the junior player with a player that is a highly skilled sniper in the game. In this manner, the junior player may be encouraged to make game-related purchases such as a rifle or other item used by the marquee player. "

"Doing so may enhance a level of enjoyment by the player for the game-related purchase, which may encourage future purchases," according to the patent. "For example, if the player purchased a particular weapon, the microtransaction engine may match the player in a gameplay session in which the particular weapon is highly effective, giving the player an impression that the particular weapon was a good purchase. This may encourage the player to make future purchases to achieve similar gameplay results."

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Elex seems like the kind of janky bullshit I would be into, but not at that price. Will keep an eye out for cdkeys I guess.

Are Steam's servers still jacked? I can't get my pitiful max download speed from any of the servers I've tried, no matter how local or isolated they are.

Edit: Oh god now there's a Steam client update that keeps wanting to be applied. pls somebody save me

Someone in another thread coined this perfectly: microtransaction-based matchmaking.

This darkest timeline just ain't letting up.

zkylon

zkylewd
It has cute girls just get it
And go play doki doki literature club, you're go na like the characters in it
I agree with this. You should play Doki Doki Literature Club zkylon, it's a cute wholesome slice of life visual novel, with lovely characters.

ew

wholesome slice of life visual novel is like the grossest string of words i've ever seen

i do kind of appreciate that the storepage for that game is full of warnings

that kind of makes me think there's something to that game it's not letting on

zkylon

zkylewd
ok i'm real suspicious about it and didn't know it's free, so imma download it

hope this is not some fucked up torture shit or worse, yuri

NeoRaider

I thought that WB will release Injustice 2 on PC before this year ends, and especially after Amazon/Gamemania leak but it looks like it's not happening. I am honestly not sure what are they waiting for, the more they wait ppl will be less interested in it. But i guess they just don't care since apperantly it's doing great on consoles.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (iapetus, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Hand of Fate -- MB-C3A2C2DA58AA1444 - Taken by eyeless
Screencheat -- MB-815880E8D4360034 - Taken by NeoRaider

Transparent filesystem compression is extremely old but has (had?) bad reputation because it tended to amplify instability in early versions of Windows, and reduces compatibility with weirder stuff. The sensible thing to do for the game's developers in case of game assets (and not, say, source code, which was subject to the very same instability problems) was to compress game assets themselves instead of relying on the filesystem to do it.

prudislav

I thought that WB will release Injustice 2 on PC before this year ends, and especially after Amazon/Gamemania leak but it looks like it's not happening. I am honestly not sure what are they waiting for, the more they wait ppl will be less interested in it. But i guess they just don't care since apperantly it's doing great on consoles.
probably after final fighters DLC

illusionary

I'm impressed with Humble's support this evening - I manged to make an unintended duplicate purchase of the new bundle and despite reporting a likely wait time of three days, it took them all of two minutes to arrange a refund. Perhaps there's some automation there, but that's still an impressive turnaround.

ok i'm real suspicious about it and didn't know it's free, so imma download it

hope this is not some fucked up torture shit or worse, yuri

It's a free anime-looking visual novel game about a literature club with cute girls as members.

It really didn't need all those written warnings when one is staring right at you.

Satellite Reign good, yes? How much micro is there? I don't remember ever controlling a four-member party in realtime with no pause before.

Seriously though, if you're going pay to win and not cosmetic only this makes a lot of sense. Of course you'd want to feel like a badass with your new shotgun. They provide that. Not last month the "devs reveal" twitter thread talked about all the hidden details in games like first time Gears players getting big hidden buffs to keep them playing multi. It's genuinely smart, slimy when it's for money but smart.

(Their games don't apply to me at ALL.)

Stall19

Medved-Taiga is out and it looks gorgeous!

These shots are from my first 3 hours today. It's quite hard for me to follow the main story, even though its well narrated. Basically sidetracked after the first random animal call and it went wild from there.
Its also hard to keep an eye on the sneaky animals while constantly trying to inhale the breathtaking scenery. Can't even stay mad that some achievements aren't working again because I feel relaxed to the max. gg

How have I never heard of this game? Looks gorgeous

Can anyone help me with this issue. I installed Elex, I press play and I get a crash that says "Application was terminally aborted". Yesterday I also tried to play The Surge (which I have before on this computer) and it also crashes at startup. What is going on?

Kiru

Can anyone help me with this issue. I installed Elex, I press play and I get a crash that says "Application was terminally aborted". Yesterday I also tried to play The Surge (which I have before on this computer) and it also crashes at startup. What is going on?

Do you use Afterburner/RTSS ? If so, update RTSS. If not, then I don't know.

Have you updated to the new Windows 10 Fall Update? (if you wave W10 at all)

If so it could be why...if not then no idea

Wow

I am genuinely impressed at this point. Christ alive.

At least I can be hopeful that with all the bullshit modern practices this has still been an absolutely incredible year for games and even if the industry completely goes to shit in the future I have a backlog of older games that should last my lifetime.

sprinkles

I agree with this. You should play Doki Doki Literature Club zkylon, it's a cute wholesome slice of life visual novel, with lovely characters.
I finished the first route without knowing what I got myself into. This game certainly is .. something.

Top Bottom