• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozium

You mean that the game should highlight rooms on the map in which items can be found?

Maybe it's a programming thing. I thought it was weird that the Rusalki never use the map to show the player where to (broadly) look for the next objective.

like in metroid games if you come across a room that has an item, it will be marked on the map as an open circle, and once it's collected the circle is filled in/turns into a dot...

Parsnip

Sent in my votes, and here they are for anyone who is curious (why would you be?)

GOTY:
(5 Points) - HITMAN
(4 Points) - Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight
(3 Points) - Xanadu Next
(2 Points) - Dark Souls III
(1 Point) - The Witness

DLC:
(3 Points) - Dark Souls III, Ashes of Ariandel

I almost put Baba Yaga on the DLC list, but I actually don't like the game that much, so I would have been rewarding it for just coming out, which would have been dumb.
Didn't play any early access games in 2016.

Nobody tried for the Nighmares from the Deep and Grim Legends raffles? Shame on you, GAF, those are actually good hidden-object games...

Tizoc

Congrats to the winenrs hope you redeem your codes fine XO

mAKING My way thru A Creed Rogue. The city building aspect is interesting buuuuut....sadly I am mainly playing this to get thru it now. AC games are a time sink I do not want to spend so much time in :/

Noo, not Spider-man! I even asked about it during the sale (twice!) and nobody responded...

Screw it, let's do this:
gjzurImm.png
KO0kcEpm.png

If it was anything but Spider-man, I'd never pay this much for this stuff. For the record, if anyone is looking to snag these before they're gone, Humble Bundle is the cheapest if you use the 10% off for subbing to Humble Monthly, and if you put 5% of the purchase back into your wallet for later (or split it up into 2 orders, like I did).

Doing it that way (buying the franchise pack first, and Shattered second) it works out to $71.99 + $23.00, with $1.50 left as wallet credit for your next store purchase.

$95 total -- that stings quite a bit (even if it's better than $110). Oh well, I'd rather have these now (even paying an exorbitant price for it) then regret not having them later.

like in metroid games if you come across a room that has an item, it will be marked on the map as an open circle, and once it's collected the circle is filled in/turns into a dot...

I see. I didn't remember that specific part about the metroid games. The last one I played was Metroid Fusion on a game boy micro (on a side note: best.true.portable.system.ever) a couple of years ago.

Regginator

Noo, not Spider-man! I even asked about it during the sale (twice!) and nobody responded...

Screw it, let's do this:
gjzurImm.png
KO0kcEpm.png

If it was anything but Spider-man, I'd never pay this much for this stuff. For the record, if anyone is looking to snag these before they're gone, Humble Bundle is the cheapest if you use the 10% off for subbing to Humble Monthly, and if you put 5% of the purchase back into your wallet for later (or split it up into 2 orders, like I did).

Doing it that way (buying the franchise pack first, and Shattered second) it works out to $71.99 + $23.00, with $1.50 left as wallet credit for your next store purchase.

$95 total -- that stings quite a bit (even if it's better than $110). Oh well, I'd rather have these now (even paying an exorbitant price for it) then regret not having them later.

200_s.gif

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I think the thread showing all the data for the GOTY voting is going to have to take a bit of a different format this year over previous years, given the trend I'm seeing so far in the votes.

Last year our GOTY voting had 131 games represented by 184 people. This year, I've so far processed 35 votes and already have over 100 games being represented (not counting DLC and Early Access games, just general GOTY nominations).

In years past, we've listed out all of the results in the thread and made charts showing the percentage of votes etc. With potentially hundreds of games represented this year, this doesn't seem feasible. I'll probably just do the top 10 games, and top three selections from the DLC and EA categories, then link to a Google sheets spreadsheet with all of the relevant data for every game. Maybe list a "top 50" games, since that's typically been a popular talking point in the thread in the past.

I think this has more to do with Steam expanding as a platform than anything else. Obviously with a huge percentage of games available on Steam releasing last year, there is a much wider variety for people to choose from in their GOTY voting.

We should have some pretty interesting results I think, I'm looking forward to sharing them with you guys when the voting period ends.

TAFK

Probably just due to how many effing games came out this year jshackles. There has to be a cutoff somewhere for when everything is just lumped into 'other' and with so many more games getting votes I gotta imagine that number is going to get higher and higher.

that's a lot of money for spider-man games.

100$ for few, old SM games??

lol

Hey, like I said, if it was anything else I wouldn't care. Even if they're "not great" (although I seem to remember Shattered Dimensions being serviceable) I'd still like to have them. I actually haven't played the Amazing Spider-man games, so I'll finally be able to do that (for better or worse...).

With my pre-existing Humble Bundle credit and everything else it'll end up costing me around $80 -- which, to be clear, is terrible -- but I'd rather spend that now and guarantee having them in my collection, than end up in some kind of Blur/Wheelman regret-fueled hell later on.

Anno

More games represented can only be a good thing. Hopefully we can find a way to show off as many as possible without making the thread a total mess. Top 50 and then a spreadsheet link for the rest sounds like a good idea.

Without giving anything away is there any game out to a big lead? It doesn't look like there would be just glancing through those posted here in the thread.

Regginator

I just found out there isn't any time tracking feature on Uplay. Sigh, why. Not a big deal breaker by any means, but, why?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
More games represented can only be a good thing. Hopefully we can find a way to show off as many as possible without making the thread a total mess. Top 50 and then a spreadsheet link for the rest sounds like a good idea.

Without giving anything away is there any game out to a big lead? It doesn't look like there would be just glancing through those posted here in the thread.

There are a few games that are rising up, but so far nothing has exceeded 10 votes among almost 40 ballots tallied. Needless to say, I think we'll end up with our usual eclectic selection in the top 10 at the rate we're going.

Nobody tried for the Nighmares from the Deep and Grim Legends raffles? Shame on you, GAF, those are actually good hidden-object games...

I think it's a case of them having been in a few too many bundles. I don't think I've bought any Artifex Mundi game directly on steam yet I seem to have most their catalogue.

Nzyme32

For those so desperate to know my wise GOTY choices:

GOTY:
(5 Points) - Stardew Valley
(4 Points) - The Witness
(3 Points) - Doom
(2 Points) - Stellaris
(1 Point) - Deus Ex Mankind Divided

DLC:
(3 Points) - Pillars of Eternity White March
(2 Points) - Sunless Sea Zubmariner
(1 Point) - Stellaris Leviathans

EA:
(3 Points) - Slime Rancher
(2 Points) - Factorio
(1 Point) - Rimworld

This is cool - if I had the patience to do this for 1220 titles in my library.

I refuse to do it at the moment because I feel like as soon as I finish, Valve will announce an improved client or update that lets you search by tag / reviews / dev / series / categorised already etc. So I'll wait for all eternity.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I voted the following:
1. Obduction,
2. Firewatch,
3. The Sea Will Claim Everything,
4. The Turing Test,
5. Haven Moon

Above and beyond the fact that I liked these games a lot and among 2016 games they were perhaps the best I played, I am really glad to be able to vote for 5 small, independent teams all of whom made interesting, tense, and engrossing games without the use of violence or booth babes.

My guess is that the overall vote is some sort of 1-2-3 combination of Dark Souls 3, Doom, and Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen. I would guess of my votes only Firewatch makes the top umpteen.

yuraya

Picked up Grow Up during the sale, and I really don't like the direction they went with the game. While I like the idea of a larger world with more stuff as opposed to just the one plant, they made traversal way too easy. Instead of the parachute and glider being resources you can lose, you instead get them as permanent abilities very early on. Not only that, but your jetpack ends up getting really powerful with just a few uprades, so you can just use a combination of it and your glider to get anywhere you want. I was able to completely bypass growing one of the star plants and access the big islands above it by just boosting until my three batteries were empty, glide for a second until they refilled, then repeat.

The whole scanning and planting plants system sounds neat at first, but it's next to useless given how mobile BUD is now.

Not only that, but they ruined the glider controls by having them be relative to the camera instead of to BUD.

I loved it. Its exactly what I want from a sequel to these type of games and I think it was the right transition. The game basically picked up right where the previous left off. I hope the next game they go even bigger letting BUD explore an entire solar system or something. I hope Ubisoft made enough money on them to make an even larger game next time. The best thing about those games is that they are fun, peaceful and relaxing. I don't want them to go make it hard or anything like that.

Parsnip

Glancing at the lists posted so far, 2016 was a really strong year all around.
Variety is the real strength of the platform and it's good to see it represented in the voting as well.

Dr Dogg

If Watch_Dogs 2 doesn't crack the top 10 you lot are dead to me!

I need to finish some games in the next week and a bit to make up a top 5 for this year unless I'm going to include late-ports.

Nzyme32

What a glorious day - I am blessed with the Steam Hardware survey for the first time in many years. A sure sign that this year is the best year!

If Watch_Dogs 2 doesn't crack the top 10 you lot are dead to me!

I need to finish some games in the next week and a bit to make up a top 5 for this year unless I'm going to include late-ports.

Sadly I'm still waiting on a better price so can't really vote for it. Others will surely .... :p

Adnor

Banned
I've basically haven't played Rebirth, bought it on this last sale but Hitman is consuming my game-time, but played a ton of the flash version (in my old laptop in the uni).

Still bought the new expansion.

louiedog

There goes Amazing Spider-Man from Steam.

TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan is also gone.

edit: and TMNT Out of the Shadows as well as Fast & Furious: Showdown

Adnor

Banned
where's the "yes but it doesn't fucking help because the useless bad signal thing pops up like every 10 seconds regardless fuck this shit"

Does your Wireless Extender Base float like indicated in that picture? No? Then you're doing it wrong, man.

Nzyme32

where's the "yes but it doesn't fucking help because the useless bad signal thing pops up like every 10 seconds regardless fuck this shit"

I haven't had problems with it so I went with "Yes as shown", but I always wonder what the point of these surveys are beyond hardware since they don't seem to take the opportunity to ask such questions which I can't imagine them not having use for - yet Valve gonna Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom