• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eila

Damn, Dead Space pack was one of the first games I bought on steam, like 4 years ago. I lost interest halfway through 2, I need to get back to it someday. 1 is the shit.

What?! I'm shocked. SHOCKED, I say!

1ZG4xig.jpg

Hektor

How do I tell if a game is region restricted on Nuuvem? (I'm in the US) I've bought stuff from them in the past, can I still do that?

CJGCBV2l.png

4CCfTUvl.png

You can try. It will tell you wether you can do it or not either in the cart menu or after the checkout process. They sadly check the origin of your paypal account for many games nowadays.

Hinomura

Wow. Didn't expect such high praise. I keep hearing mixed things about it, but it looks gorgeous.

Well, JRPG is a very divisive genre. Characters, story, battle system, difficulty balance, secondary quests, grinding can turn easily a person on or off. And more, the overabundance of JRPG games in the PS2 era made a lot of people really picky because there was too much choice that suddendly shrunk in the following generations (I consider console generations because JRPG was pratically a strict console genre).

For what I saw (about 9 hours in two days), Zestiria is consistent: the story flows very smooth, I haven't met yet a single annoying character (and I did quit a lot of JRPG 'cause of annoying characters or uninspired story). The battle system works fine and "grows" along with the rattle of the events with detailed but not intrusive details. I did no grinding and I found the boss battles very fun. There's just a little con I agree with texhnolyze (which loved it anyway), and it's about a not always perfect camera in battles, but there are overall praised JRPGs with a much worse one (and when camera fails, just a little move of your right thumb on the right stick of the pad to fix it).

Obviously I can't know your tastes, and I know it's not cheap at all (since nowadays it's possible to preorder several Steam games for half the price), but if you love JRPGs, I advice you to consider it sooner or later.

Early screens of Roller Coaster World beta from the cummunity hub.

It seems the game need lots of polishing, and I doubt they can sort the issues out in about a month time before release. I hope I'm wrong though.

Well, JRPG is a very divisive genre. Characters, story, battle system, difficulty balance, secondary quests, grinding can turn easily a person on or off. And more, the overabundance of JRPG games in the PS2 era made a lot of people really picky because there was too much choice that suddendly shrunk in the following generations (I consider console generations because JRPG was pratically a strict console genre).

For what I saw (about 9 hours in two days), Zestiria is consistent: the story flows very smooth, I haven't met yet a single annoying character (and I did quit a lot of JRPG 'cause of annoying characters or uninspired story). The battle system works fine and "grows" along with the rattle of the events with detailed but not intrusive details. I did no grinding and I found the boss battles very fun. There's just a little con I agree with texhnolyze (which loved it anyway), and it's about a not always perfect camera in battles, but there are overall praised JRPGs with a much worse one (and when camera fails, just a little move of your right thumb on the right stick of the pad to fix it).

Obviously I can't know your tastes, and I know it's not cheap at all (since nowadays it's possible to preorder several Steam games for half the price), but if you love JRPGs, I advice you to consider it sooner or later.

I will. Thanks for the heads up.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The Pip-Boy from the F4 CE looks like a happy meal toy.

Did anyone honestly expect anything different, especially considering how cheap the Fallout 3 Pipboy clock was?

MRORANGE

If anyone is interested I started research on making a portable handheld using RetroPie:

So I managed to snag a few hours to do some research for the handheld and it's going to be a lot harder than I thought it would be :)

lets list out all the problems I'm facing:

lmlN5Ja.jpg

So as I might have mentioned above I am using the raspberry pi, while quite a small device it's still quite thick at just under 1.5cm or so, this isn't bad, but when you consider putting in a screen:

gpkRwnv.jpg

it jumps to 2cm, which is still okay I guess, but with the acrylic sheets and so forth I expect the end result to be 2.5cm thick. Another problem is the screen takes out a good proportion of the GPIO pins to power it :( I've used some wires and all it really needs is 5v, 3v and GND, the actual display is a touchscreen and that's why it's using all those GPIO pins, I'm quite unsure of breaking that bit off just yet as it's out of my comfort zone. Screen is really nice though!

eO390nE.jpg

For the controller I didn't want to go down the solder route, due to lack of pins and unfamiliarity with controllers in general, recently I obtained the 8bido a snes clone bluetooth controller.

sWoe1RR.jpg

I'm hoping I could re-wire the battery connectors from the controller to the main board and usb a Bluetooth dongle, it would save a lot of time :) if that fails I'll have to solder off a usb from the raspberry py and find a very short micro usb cable to house it.

iKNwDaN.jpg

So essentially I got rid of the case for testing purposes and I ran into a few problems.

pcs7tL7.jpg

First of all I had no idea what this was:

FwELutK.jpg

Still have no idea, but I know it sets off the contact for the board for buttons when pressure is applied. anyone know whet they are called? the other problem was this:

5Z0ezXw.jpg

The buttons have different heights and positions, this is goona be tricky to work out using a laser cutter, plus I now have to find a place that can do 1mm acylic for the face buttons to even stick out.

So a lot of research done, don't expect things to sail so quickly as I'm waiting for a few test parts to power the cicruit to arrive and will try and post updates as I can with that.

Overall:

- Sreen has taken all the GPIO ports, can be powereed by 3v-5v and GND, but becomes bulky as you need to displace the Pi
- Going through the Bluetooth route, this may have a maximum of 10% battery hit on the device.
- Button placement is going to be a pain to work out.

Taking into thes things into sonsideration I came up with this design (not final):

vfRQ8jU.jpg

L/R buttons are on the side and the device is about 2.5cm thick, 14cm wide and 16cm tall.

More updates coming when they can?

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Had no problem here buying Skylines from Nuuvem in Aus using the evil that is Hola set to Brazil.

Worked for me as well using Hola and I live in Germany. Wasn't able to buy Shadow of Mordor, DMC and/or Max Payne 3 though

d00d3n

Anyone else who has had their Steam categories messed up? I (wrongly) suspected that this had happened when I got the Valve family and friends pack for the botched Steam controller osx release, but now it has happened for real. A quite large number of the games that I had given a category are now in in the uncategorized pool. This has happened across several of my categories, which are still there.

Should I start worrying that someone has access to my account? Please tell me that someone else is affected by this? The last time I started my desktop computer was monday or thuesday, I believe.

These are some the games in question: (only including installed games, because I am pretty sure most/all of those were categorized)

Anyone else who has had their Steam categories messed up? I (wrongly) suspected that this had happened when I got the Valve family and friends pack for the botched Steam controller osx release, but now it has happened for real. A quite large number of the games that I had given a category are now in in the uncategorized pool. This has happened across several of my categories, which are still there.

Should I start worrying that someone has access to my account? Please tell me that someone else is affected by this?

These are some the games in question: (only including installed games, because I am pretty sure most/all of those were categorized)

If your categories were nuked, just wait a while and they'll re-sync and fix themselves. Even if they're all gone, in about ten minutes or so they should automagically reappear. I think it has to due with a local file getting messed up for whatever reason, not 100% sure though.

As an aside, does Steam actually transfer categories to new computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom