• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamWorld Dig 2 |OT| New Digs

Sarcasm

Oh man I want this. I beat the first one on a handheld. Own it on steam but can't get motivated to play it again due to many other games (DSO2) to play. I also have to play and beat heist.

The suffering the pain <3

red731

And what a huge leap forward in every sense it's going to be.

I can't stop playing! Everything is so satisfying!

The town music? Whoa man. Even my wife what is that nice music playing. Mines music is lovely too!

The new style? Oh so much nicer and pleasing to the eye!

Mechanics? It's not just digging! The platforming is so awesome!

Updates and cogs? Damn! You can have amazing and useful plays going on!

Shiners, man. How the cards have turned! I would go crazy too. Major props to Rosie.

And Fen, this piece of sadistic work. I love him!

Gotta go to work and after that, dig up more!

tm24

Yo some one put me out of my misery and help me figure out where the hidden item in leaky lodge is. I see the path out but not the path in

shibbs

I thought people where overreacting with this game icon in the switch menu. But man, I got the black/grey UI and this game is hideous with the white frame :(

Anyways, got the game for my coming vacation. Can't wait! Everybody is so positive about the game!

Mr. F

Banned
Just finished tonight after 9ish hours and 60% secrets found. I appreciate games knowing when to keep it brief but for the price I kind of wish there was more to it. It's neither mind blowing or bad, just a solid enjoyable game that builds on its predecessor in mostly the right ways.

I will say though,
the map felt like a bit of a cop out considering its size vs the playable area you uncover ending up being maybe 25% of that space at most.

Haunted

93%+ in every area, 41/42 artifacts and every cave I've found has a green checkmark.

No blank spaces left on the map and I'm still missing stuff, damn. x_x

Nabs

93%+ in every area, 41/42 artifacts and every cave I've found has a green checkmark.

No blank spaces left on the map and I'm still missing stuff, damn. x_x

I finally found 42/42 and 100%'d the area you spawn in at the start of the game, but I'm stuck with 93-97% in Yarrow, Archea, and Destroyer. I don't know if I'm going to bother going for it all.

I finally found 42/42 and 100%'d the area you spawn in at the start of the game, but everything else is 93-97%. I don't know if I'm going to bother going for it all.

In my experience of completing the game 100%, getting 42/42 artifacts (to unlock the postgame challenges) and all green checkmarks is good enough to give you the full experience. 100% is nice to have if you're compulsive about that sort of thing and close to it anyway, but combing the map for a handful of cogs doesn't add that much fun if you already feel finished. It added about 2 hours to my time, and the hiding places are pretty fair (just tedious to spot when you've uncovered the whole map), but with all artifacts and checkmarks you've effectively seen the game.

Bersi

I believe you need 100% and not just all artifacts. You’re looking in the right spot though.
I have 100% the game,but i just can't find it,is it that high in the sky?,do you need to upgrade the jetpack to the max to reach it?

Edit:all right,found it,yep you need the upgraded jetpack to reach it.

Haunted

Can anyone help me find the hidden item in Devil's Crib? It's the one with the constantly rising lava.
Hint:
Patience is rewarded.
Solution:
Stay in the room after the lava has finished rising by clamping to the roof with the hookshot, the lava will go down eventually clearing the way to the secret all the way at the bottom.

I finally found 42/42 and 100%'d the area you spawn in at the start of the game, but I'm stuck with 93-97% in Yarrow, Archea, and Destroyer. I don't know if I'm going to bother going for it all.
Yeah, I might just need a checklist to get that last artifact because I have no idea which one I'm missing. ;_;

I think this was mentioned earlier, but if you are checking your map percentages to determine where to search for missing items, don't forget to look at the overworld segments east and west of the town, and at the Oasis. These are counted separately from the main underground zones.

Nabs

Hint:
Patience is rewarded.
Solution:
Stay in the room after the lava has finished rising by clamping to the roof with the hookshot, the lava will go down eventually clearing the way to the secret all the way at the bottom.

Yeah, I might just need a checklist to get that last artifact because I have no idea which one I'm missing. ;_;

The last one I found was
in the main room of the Oasis. I forgot to go back in there after beating the game.

ryushe

I'm stuck in Samus Returns and it's pissing on me off more than ever since I don't wanna start this until I finish Metroid.

Shahadan

US chart:

EU chart:

Put down that basketball America and grab a pickaxe!

Sidenote, there's no EU charts we have one for each country. This is probably UK I guess?
But I have this weird hobby of checking charts from my various accounts way too often and Steamworld Dig 2 is selling well everywhere.
Kinda surprised at how well Rayman is doing also, guess the demo helped.

Soodanim

Okay, here's what happened. I came to ask what was worth it about 2 that I couldn't get from 1. I saw Harry Potter and his friend in the OP's 6 new things video, got about 3 in and decided to break my "No new games until the backlog is done" rule.

I bought 1 on 3DS thinking it was exclusive, and I finished that in one sitting despite how uncomfortable the 3DS is. So I'm going to enjoy this on PC for that upgrade alone.

Unless it's terrible, in which case quote me and save me from another game I won't play.

I was thinking about picking this up but never played the original SW Dig. Is there much plot to worry about from the original or can I just dive straight in?

jariw

I was thinking about picking this up but never played the original SW Dig. Is there much plot to worry about from the original (I know the original protagonist is missing and that's about it) or can I just dive straight in?

Just play Steamworld Dig 2 directly. You'll not miss anything substantial by not playing Dig 1 first.

Beat the final boss, 85% at 13:25. Fantastic game, will 100%. And then probably start over.

So I got all the artifacts and played the trial caves a little. Don't have the patience for it at the moment, but will get back to them. Have not 100% the game though. Total time on that file is over 15 hours.

And I've started a new file. Turning on all the perks that make the game more difficult. Wish they were available from the start. Although you can get them early.

Love this game.

vern

Just beat it. I loved the first and this one didn't disappoint at all. Never played Heist, hope it gets a port to Switch now.

Played without arrow markers, got lost once or twice but that's kind of the point. Final stats are 8:58 with 65% secrets and 14 deaths. Will work to get 100 percent over the next few weeks when I get tired of Mario x Rabbids play sessions. Need to beat that before Odyssey somehow. Damn Switch is awesome and overwhelming with software already. Hard to keep up.

Everybody buy Dig 2.

dock

Getting the artifact in the "Floor is lava" cave almost drives me crazy lol Finally got it, loving the game so far!

I keep failing on this. Just to be certain, do I need to do the whole route in one go without hitting any switches? I thought I had achieved this one, but I got to the exit once and it was barricaded.

Fireblend

Banned
I keep failing on this. Just to be certain, do I need to do the whole route in one go without hitting any switches? I thought I had achieved this one, but I got to the exit once and it was barricaded.

Yep. If you touch any button you have to exit the room and come back.

Coreda

Who composed the music?
The two composers are Niklas Åkerblad aka El Huervo, a composer known primarily for his contributions to the Hotline Miami 1 & 2 soundtracks (and cover art), and Image & Form's own Pelle Cahndlerby

Was just about to comment on the excellent trailer music and thought it reminded me of else Heart.Break()'s OST (Huervo's game which doesn't get enough recognition*). Nice!

* I still think its OT title should have mentioned his past work since it kind of slipped by a lot of people at the time despite Hotline Miami being widely known and praised on GAF

zroid

Banned
This is probably the thing that gave me the most trouble so far

DKgjWUgV4AARNKB.jpg

and it's not even in a challenge room!

edit: this probably would have been a hell of a lot easier if
I had the extended hook shot
, but oh well. it's more fun when you do stuff the hard way, right?

giapel

The lantern mechanic turns out to be quite pointless, doesn't it? It's not really a blemish, as I don't mind it but it's a bit clumsy design compared to every other gameplay element.

The lantern mechanic turns out to be quite pointless, doesn't it? It's not really a blemish, as I don't mind it but it's a bit clumsy design compared to every other gameplay element.

It can be annoying for sure. It's much better to have the light on than off.

Plus the cogs add some very useful functions.

It's a holdover from the first game that stops being relevant with a few upgrades (notably the one that keeps the lamp at 50% and up) but may be very relevant if you are going for speed.

oatmeal

Banned
I loved going back to the start of the game and finding a ton of shit that was hidden in plain sight. That was rewarding.

Game is insane, just did the third doomsday device. Game is so damn polished. Reminds me more and more of Super Metroid as I play.

A few challenge rooms I can't solve to completion and it's driving me nuts.

L.O.R.D

just finished the game,got all the artifacts
amazing game

but i heard there is
bad ending, what is it?

i was 100 secret before going to last boss, then after beating the game i told me that i have 96%
i finished all the caves.

edit: it appears the 100% is only for the area is competed, great, not i have to search every area in the game.

How do I get there:

There's a rocket all the way to the left but I assume it doesn't get past those crates you see.

see the stone under the crate? destroy it, and clear a path for the rocket.

Renekun

Neo Member
I just beat SteamWorldDig2. Including the trials in the end. It took me 15 lovely hours.

There's just one thing to do a second time:
Beat Rosie again

Sorry man... wasn't my intention to spoil...

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm so tempted to buy this on Switch but I lost interest in the original after a few hours. I'm now caught between just playing this and giving the original another shot.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm so tempted to buy this on Switch but I lost interest in the original after a few hours. I'm now caught between just playing this and giving the original another shot.

I mean, the first one was a few hours long. If you played it for more than 2 hours you were most likely already halfway through the game :p

That said, this game makes that one look like a prototype, or a proof of concept to pitch this one. What you could do and see in Dig 1 is a fraction of the variety of mechanics and locations and stuff to do in Dig 2.

Top Bottom