• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamWorld Dig 2 |OT| New Digs

SomTervo

I understand that, I'm just saying I don't like that design. It robs some of the feeling of clearing out a path through the mine.

It didn't bother me for the first couple of hours but it starts getting really annoying later when the enemies get much tougher and more disruptive.

Still, once you learn to leverage your later abilities the combat becomes more fun.

Also, if you're impressed with the platforming now... Just you wait. They really pull it out of the bag.

GhaleonEB

Thanks! I'll stop wasting my time.

It didn't bother me for the first couple of hours but it starts getting really annoying later when the enemies get much tougher and more disruptive.

Still, once you learn to leverage your later abilities the combat becomes more fun.

Also, if you're impressed with the platforming now... Just you wait. They really pull it out of the bag.

Yeah, the waddling birds are what are getting under my skin. It's getting better now that I've figured out to use the grappling hook extensively in combat.

vareon

Got to the part where I have to destroy three stuff. "Ah, that means I'm very close to the end" then I pick one location (the
mushroomy forest thing

Holy hell it's long lol.

magimix

Thanks! I'll stop wasting my time.

Yeah, the waddling birds are what are getting under my skin. It's getting better now that I've figured out to use the grappling hook extensively in combat.

Grappling hook in combat? Ooooooh! I need to try that.

Edit: This game is rad, but so is Golf Story. A lot of competition for my time!

bounchfx

Hollow Knight is on a whole 'nother level than SteamWorld Dig 2, with all due respect. SWD2 is a good metroidvania, HK is arguably the GOAT and I think GAF's gonna have a meltdown once it releases on Switch. I don't think many people realize there's a metroidvania better than SotN and Super Metroid out there for 15 bucks.

I hope so, I fucking love metroidvanias. I got HK on PC from a friend and only tried it for an hour or two because I wanted to play it on switch instead, and within that time it didn't impress me at all. That being said I still plan to get it on switch and give it a fair shake. I hear it gets notably better after the first couple hours.

Just finished it. Easily one of the best games of the year if you ask, and it's 88 on Metacritic is well-deserved.

Pound for pound, it's every bit as good as some of the big-hitters I've played over the last 12 months.

It's in my top five, along with Breath of the Wild, Mania, Kingdom Battle and 'fingers crossed' Odyssey.

A special shoutout to the writing - short, simple and packed full of character.

Hollow Knight is on a whole 'nother level than SteamWorld Dig 2, with all due respect. SWD2 is a good metroidvania, HK is arguably the GOAT and I think GAF's gonna have a meltdown once it releases on Switch. I don't think many people realize there's a metroidvania better than SotN and Super Metroid out there for 15 bucks.

That's crazy talk. HK is that good? I didn't bother on PS4 because the art style looks like something you'd see in Hot Topic.

Can you dig in HK?
Dig > HK
Seriously though, they are very different games, especially if you compare the first dig to metroidvanias

Ellite25

Just finished the game and I have to say it’s awesome. I didn’t play the first one so I didn’t quite know what to expect but man this game is a good time. I fished the game in 5 hours and 15 minutes. I stopped and completed all the caves I came across but but apparently there’s a lot I didn’t see considering some people took more than 10 hours to finish the game.

mstevens

I'm blown away by this game. I took a little break from Golf Story to try this out and 3 hours just flew by. This is easily one of the best games on the system now.

God I hope it launches this year or at the very beginning of next year at the latest.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Does this game make it clear when you're approaching the final area/mission?

Agreed, the game is very vibrant on both screens, and the gamestyle suits the portable mode very well.

...and good use of HD Rumble while digging in the Switch version.

Something about the rumble and sound in my headphones every time I get an artifact catches me off-guard. I think it's a sign that it's really good in a subtle way.

bede-x

Man, I wish there were more games like this. At the
temple
area and this is almost everything I wanted from a sequel. A slight niggle is that when moving as close to a wall as possible, the character starts overlapping the next "tile" a little. I'd like them to stop so the edge of the character lines up with the edge of the tile, which helps with the precision. And the animations are a little too much of the "rotate" variety, which always makes things seem a little cheap. Other than that it's every bit as compelling as the first and then some. I'm already at the phase where I'm trying to make it last longer by taking it slowly and exploring thoroughly. The phase where I don't want it to end and will start wishing for a sequel when it inevitably does.

First I've heard of this game, and I automatically assumed it was a Valve game by the title alone. Did they ever get any flack from Valve over the name?

Brakke

Banned
Beat the game then ran through to tidy things up. Now I’m sitting at 100% secrets according to the map but only 40/42 Artifacts... what am I missing?

vern

I was just curious, and am pleasantly surprised if Valve didn't put the lawyers on them the way so many publishers have with indie games.

I'm no lawyer but I don't think you can just make the use of common words off limits unless they infringe on the trademark/copywrite. If the name is likely to cause confusion or intended to cause confusion to the customer, or if the names are similar and the product offered is similar that can be a problem. Its pretty unlikely that the average person would think that Steam and Steamworld Dig 2 are the same product. Honestly no offense but you've gotta be a bit daft to think they are the same.

I'm no lawyer but I don't think you can just make the use of common words off limits unless they infringe on the trademark/copywrite. If the name is likely to cause confusion or intended to cause confusion to the customer, or if the names are similar and the product offered is similar that can be a problem. Its pretty unlikely that the average person would think that Steam and Steamworld Dig 2 are the same product. Honestly no offense but you've gotta be a bit daft to think they are the same.

Um, I don't want to derail the thread, but it's not unheard of at all in the industry.

Zenimax lawyers force name change on indie game Prey for the Gods to protect the Prey IP:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-05-04-bethesda-lawyers-force-another-indie-game-name-change

Zenimax lawyers force developer of indie game Fortress Fallout to protect Fallout IP:
https://kotaku.com/fallout-publisher-sends-legal-threats-to-game-with-fall-1686111272

Wasteland dev InXile Entertainment force indie dev of The Alien Wasteland to change name:
http://www.shacknews.com/article/94...ses-cease-and-desist-to-get-game-name-changed

Anyway, good to see that Valve has not gone down the same road here.

Brakke

Banned
Beat the game then ran through to tidy things up. Now I’m sitting at 100% secrets according to the map but only 40/42 Artifacts... what am I missing?

Turns out the completion percentages are per region, not for the full map. Whoops! Got 'em all now.

GhaleonEB

I keep getting blindsided by how big the game is. I've gotten all of my mobility upgrades now, so I'm, um, exploring like crazy and the game keeps on going and going and GOING. I remembered a spot I couldn't quite bounce over by the
glittering cave, so I jetpacked over it
and now I'm three regions deep into that area and it keeps getting more and more bonkers. I know what the next quest step is, and this isn't it, but I'll be damned if I'm going to deter from finding the bottom of this place.

Also, I strongly recommend playing with quest markers disabled. That's what I've been doing from the onset and the feeling of discovery is pretty incredible, especially when I accidentally stumble back into the quest line. :lol

So glad they gave the option to turn it off.

What's the deal with the trial of escape?

I died in the last part with the vectron robots chasing me. But when I watch youtube videos of the trials, this part never appears?? It's possible to skip the vectron part somehow? Not really sure what triggers it.

Fireblend

Banned
What's the deal with the trial of escape?

I died in the last part with the vectron robots chasing me. But when I watch youtube videos of the trials, this part never appears?? It's possible to skip the vectron part somehow? Not really sure what triggers it.

Not afaik.
I was able to get past it without much damage by abusing the jetpack. Once fully upgraded, it can outrun the Vectron robots relatively easily as long as you don't lose any speed.

vern

Um, I don't want to derail the thread, but it's not unheard of at all in the industry.

Zenimax lawyers force name change on indie game Prey for the Gods to protect the Prey IP:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-05-04-bethesda-lawyers-force-another-indie-game-name-change

Zenimax lawyers force developer of indie game Fortress Fallout to protect Fallout IP:
https://kotaku.com/fallout-publisher-sends-legal-threats-to-game-with-fall-1686111272

Wasteland dev InXile Entertainment force indie dev of The Alien Wasteland to change name:
http://www.shacknews.com/article/94...ses-cease-and-desist-to-get-game-name-changed

Anyway, good to see that Valve has not gone down the same road here.

The biggest difference is those are all games as far as I can tell from your post, idn't click the links. Steam isn't a game.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I don't want to quote GhaleonEB's post out of fear of spoilers, but they've said something I want to ask about:

Is there any way to know when you have all the mobility upgrades? Or perhaps upgrades in general? I really don't know how many upgrades to expect or how big this game is, so I keep going through areas and wondering, "Should I already be able to do this thing and I'm just bad at the game, or am I missing an ability?" The only upgrade I suspect I will get eventually is
perhaps some kind of jetpack because I've seen a few areas that seem to require flight and I can't think of any other way I could overcome that.

Thanks! Oddly enough, I'm trying to find the track I love and I can't seem to find it. I found one that sounds close but not quite what I remember. Which I think must mean that the song doesn't sound right to my ears unless I'm playing the area as I listen.

VanWinkle

About 4 hours in. LOVING it. Definitely more "serious" platforming, which is great, and the level design in general feels so much better than what we had in the first game.

Top Bottom