• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strange opinion: The Hateful Eight is the best movie from Quentin Tarantino

Status
Not open for further replies.
YES!!!!!!!
It is.

I love pretty much all of his movies, I'm a big fan (he deserves more Oscars btw).

But this movie is a masterpiece.

It has

- his best dialogues
- his best characters (Ruth, Mannix, Warren...whatever, everyone is amazing)
- an amazing bloody twist
- an original soundtrack from Morricone
- his best work as a director
- fucking great actors
- his best screenplay

One of my favorite movies of all time. It's dark, bloody, smart, funny and not mainstream at all. It's like a modern western (western movies are dead, I know).

Sure, Pulp Fiction is great...and Reservoir Dogs...and whatever.

But The Hateful Eight is just something else. It's magical....I don't know. And it hurts me when I read reviews on amazon...
You know Sergio Leone? His films were 90% dialogue and 10 % action. And the stories were pretty simple.
I don't get it. Maybe my opinion ist just outdated...

What do you think?

Aurongel

It is damn good for sure and undoubtedly his best *made* film. The dialogue is on point and has a lot of layers to it most people take for granted. Not to mention that it's Tarantino's most Meta film since Pulp Fiction.

It's goooood, he's totally still got it but I can see why the short attention spanned don't like the slower burn of it.

All his movies are amazing. Picking my favorite Tarantino movie is like picking my favorite Simpsons episodes.

Can't do it. But I'm partial to westerns, and liked both hateful 8 and Django equally.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
It's pretty great. Best critique I heard of it though is it would have been better as a play and I get that.

I was really quite pleasantly surprised when I watched it last weekend finally.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
You know I hadn't seen the movie till a little while ago and while I enjoyed it I felt it was one of the most poorly paced Tarantion films I've seen in a while. It sort of felt like he tried to make a motion picture length film based on the first scene in Inglorious Basterds. Not so much the actual scene but trying to keep that kind of tension and characterization and dialogue going for an entire film and it didn't work so well in my opinion. Beautifully shot though.

You know I hadn't seen the movie till a little while ago and while I enjoyed it I felt it was one of the most poorly paced Tarantion films I've seen in a while. It sort of felt like he tried to make a motion picture length film based on the first scene in Inglorious Basterds. Not so much the actual scene but trying to keep that kind of tension and characterization and dialogue going for an entire film and it didn't work so well in my opinion. Beautifully shot though.

That's it. The first scene of IB was tribute to Sergio Leone :D
It makes sense.

You're all wrong, it's Jackie Brown.

Followed by
KIll Bill.

These would top my personal list.

H8's first act was incredible but I felt really let down by the 2nd act and felt it took the laziest possible route to the solution to the mystery. I heard there were alternate endings and I would have enjoyed seeing at least one other tacked on after the credits or something.

Fury451

Banned
I liked Hateful Eight far more than I ever expected to, but Pulp Fiction is his best still imo, and I used to hate that movie. Eight could've paid off far better with the setup it had, but I was still fairly satisfied.

My top 5 would be

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Inglorious Basterds (Though this one is super close to 1 for me)
3. Hateful Eight
4. Django Unchained
5. Reservoir Dogs

Jackie Brown is good but just not something I'm in love with.

I absolutely loathe Kill Bill and Death Proof is pretty garbage too.

These would top my personal list.

H8's first act was incredible but I felt really let down by the 2nd act and felt it took the laziest possible route to the solution to the mystery. I heard there were alternate endings and I would have enjoyed seeing at least one other tacked on after the credits or something.

Why? It's a mix of Agatha Christie/ Edgar Wallace and Sergio Leone. I think it's pretty much perfect.

edit: Yeah, I think Kill Bill 1+2 are his worst movies. They're still great but I don't need to watch them again.

LQX

It is. It also deserved way more consideration for awards than The Revenant, but I don't think anyone wanted to see Leo DiCaprio cry again on TV.

orochi91

The pacing and dialogue weren't very good.

Other than the cinematography and acting, the film was underwhelming, even boring at times.

Fury451

Banned
It is. It also deserved way more consideration for awards than The Revenant, but I don't think anyone wanted to see Leo DiCaprio cry again on TV.

Agreed.

Strange opinion: The Revenant was one of Leo's weaker performances and Tom Hardy should've been Hugh Glass.

Sanjuro

I think it's one of his best. I don't have them all ranked, but it would be in the top tier.

Jackie Brown would be probably my go to.

Tarantino is overrated, violent crap.

You can flame me as you wish. :)

No, criticism is allowed :D
Tarantino movies aren't for everyone. You love them or you hate them. But you can't deny he's a phenomenal director and screenwriter

edit: The love for Jackie Brown is heart-warming

Jarmel

Banned
nah

It's one of his weaker ones. The monologue is fantastic and there are a number of great scenes but the movie doesn't come together as well as it should.

I agree to a point.

And that point is when he decides that "endings are stupid" and just puts his pants on his head and the stupid comes out.

The first reel before the intermission is perfect.

After that it just falls apart.

hiredhand

Yeah, that is a strange opinion.

The Hateful Eight was actually a positive surprise after all the negative reviews but it's still his third worst film after Death Proof and Django.

I think Pulp Fiction is still (by far) his best film and looking at his career trajectory he is very unlikely to improve on it.

Why? It's a mix of Agatha Christie/ Edgar Wallace and Sergio Leone. I think it's pretty much perfect.

H8 Ending Spoilers

The "everyone did it" ending worked a lot better in Murder on the Orient Express. I also didn't like having Channing Tatum hiding in the basement as if no one there would have thought to check after all that time.

The Haberdashery staff getting slaughtered so callously really rubbed me the wrong way too for some reason. I know it's a Tarantino movie so stuff like that is going to happen but I found it really unnecessary to the story.

I loved H8, I do think it's one of Tarantino's best but it's also very much a Tarantino movie.

If you like his style of movie you'll love H8, but if you don't you'll hate it. Whereas Basterds and Django are pretty enjoyable to people who aren't a big fan of Reservoir Dogs/Pulp Fiction etc.

I'd probably rank it third behind Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction. I haven't really loved a movie of his since Kill Bill vol 1, so I was really surprised to love the Hateful Eight.

I don't consider that a strange opinion. It was a great film especially compared to his last release, Django Unchained. Django felt like a self-parody; As if he was out-Tarantino-ing himself scene after scene. It had it's moments but you could truly feel the loss of his regular editor, Sally Menke, who most likely kept him in check a bit. I enjoyed it the first time I saw it but upon a rewatch, I didn't feel the same. The first viewing, I'm guessing, was just hype for 'New Tarantino!' I rewatched Hateful Eight (Twice in theaters, the first in 70mm. Second the wide-release version) and still enjoyed it the second time... and the third...and the fourth.

My personal top 3: Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Inglorious Basterds.

Everything else.

Worst: Death Proof, Django Unchained.

H8 Ending Spoilers

The "everyone did it" ending worked a lot better in Murder on the Orient Express. I also didn't like having Channing Tatum hiding in the basement as if no one there would have thought to check after all that time.

The Haberdashery staff getting slaughtered so callously really rubbed me the wrong way too for some reason. I know it's a Tarantino movie so stuff like that is going to happen but I found it really unnecessary to the story.

I don't know, I thought it was a tribute to 'Once upon a time in the west' (Fonda and his gang murders the family) I love this scene ...it's probably the best 'Sergio Leone' tribute I've ever seen.

Razorback

Kill Bill is his best work.

But I think it's cool that a decent case can be made for any one of his movies being his best.
besides Deathproof.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I don't agree but I think a strong case can be made. It's definitely his best since Kill Bill Vol. 1.

He's just never going to top Pulp Fiction for my favorite of his films, but I would argue that Jackie Brown is secretly his best film.

Ultratech

I had a lot of fun watching it. Not my favorite of his, but it was great.

Pretty much my opinion.

I just got through watching it last weekend.

I enjoyed it, but at the same time, I don't think it was his best.

Still pretty good though.

jfkgoblue

It is a good movie, but Tarantino's best? No way.

Pulp Fiction

Kill Bill

Inglorious Basterds

Even Django Unchained

All better movies.
I don't agree but I think a strong case can be made. It's definitely his best since Kill Bill Vol. 1.

He's just never going to top Pulp Fiction for my favorite of his films, but I would argue that Jackie Brown is secretly his best film.
Jackie Brown is the only Tarantino movie I haven't seen, can never find it anywhere.

Literally any answer but this or Deathproof is arguable here. Hateful 8 is so.... ugh. There's more tension and wit in the opening scene of Basterds than the entire damn movie .

Well, It's cool to see so many users having different opinions...but the 'door-scene' (running gag) has to the best scene Tarantino has ever written, right?
I mean, damn it's so out of place and funny at the same time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom