• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strange opinion: The Hateful Eight is the best movie from Quentin Tarantino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grakl

Nothing strange about it, it's a great, great movie. Though my Tarantino rankings are:

Pulp Fiction
Inglourious Basterds
Django Unchained
Kill Bill 1 & 2
The Hateful Eight
Reservoir Dogs
Jackie Brown
U r wrong, Jackie brown is best ez

Also reservoir dogs so low is just weird

Hateful Eight is meh and I even saw it in 70mm (beautiful stuff)

Alpha_eX

Watching it in it's original form, complete with the interlude was an incredible cinema experience, absolutely loved it. The point the movie stopped and then resumed 15 minutes later, complete with Tarantino's monologue of the last 15 minutes was a little 4th wall break and I loved it.

Not sure I'll have the same experience again now I know what has happened, but it really made the movie pop.

Oh, and not sure I can agree that it's the best, but it certainly isn't his worst.

bud

the more i think about, the more i like it.

only thing that bothered me was it that was too long; it should've been cut by 20 minutes.

django also suffers from being too long.

Loxley

Basterds is still my personal favorite film of his, but I can't really say which one I think is the best though. I think an argument could be made for a number of them.

I 1000% absolutely adored The Hateful Eight. It was SO much fun.

But I like Pulp Fiction better. The Hateful Eight is an amazing film, but Pulp Fiction is a CLASSIC

Griss

I loved Hateful Eight.

At some point the relentless race-baiting got tiresome, but the overall quality of the movie eclipsed that by some margin and it was consistently side-splittingly funny.

I'd have it right up there among his best works.

Best thing about it is I was on a trip with my dad and suggested the cinema as we had nothing better to do. He said "There's nothing interesting on in the cinema anymore, it's nothing but trash." But we went anyway, I picked this film, and he fucking loved it.

It restored a 60 year old man's love of film :)

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Mid Tier QT, but on the better side of it. On par with Dogs, much better than Django, Kill Bill.

But not as good as Pulp, IB, and Jackie Brown.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Hateful Eight was a series of tension building conversations about nothing that ultimately forgot what it was building towards. The fact that a 4 hour movie was resolved in the last 5 minutes proves this.

Q's best is easily Pulp Fiction.

Indelible

I haven't seen Hateful Eight but I highly doubt it comes close to Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs in terms of impact or quality.

cj_iwakura

I haven't seen Hateful Eight but I highly doubt it comes close to Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs in terms of impact or quality.

It totally does. You have some of the finest actors out there in one place with engrossing dialogue and little else, just like those two films. Kurt Russel and Samuel L. Jackson alone going toe to toe is worth it.

For me it doesn't get much better than watching Kill Bill vol. 1 and 2 back-to-back.

But Tarantino has one of the greatest filmographies... choosing a favorite is a form of torture.

Jackie Brown all the way. It's his most subdued and genuine movie. I have a hard time going back and watching his other movies with the exception of Jackie Brown. I also love how socal it feels. It's something that only people who grew up in an LA suburb would get.

Not even in the top seven.

Wat. So it's worse than Death Proof?

I really can't understand this. Maybe you don't like the story and maybe you don't like the dialogue (but why wouldn't you?) but you have to admit that this movie is masterfully done.

H8 is a tribute to the old western movies mixed with 80's horror movies and german/ european crime movies. It's also a stage play.

A lot of people dislike the pacing but I thing the pacing is great.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Lmao. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

IMO The Hateful is his worst movie and Pulp Fiction is obviously his best work.

Kill Bill is also quite fantastic.

Edit: on second thought Death Proof is still his worst.

AngryMoth

He really does have an amazing filmography, you can make an argument that any of them are his best. I definitely can't pick a favourite

Monocle

Yeah I definitely think Hateful Eight is his worst after Death Proof. But Death Proof is awesome, so it's all good.

Kill Bill is entertaining but I think it's his worst movie (both combined while KB 2 is better than KB1). I think KB is the only movie that doesn't feel like the typical Tarantino movie. There's something missing. Too many cuts, too many short dialogues and the humour isn't that good compared to his other movies. It feels like a 'fast food'-Tarantino movie. Like a mainstream version. And mainstream is not Tarantino.
It's like a no. 1 chart song and you're wondering why this song is at no. 1 because it's actually his worst work.

Just my opinion though.

Drake

Finally saw it today. DVR'd it a couple of days ago. It was pretty good. Very Tarantino esque.

Not as good Django. I'd say on par with Inglorious Basterds. Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, and Kill Bill remain his best stuff.

Pulp Fiction is a top 10 all time movie, so it's next to impossible to top that one.

Just like Fincher, all his movies are pretty equal quality wise IMO, I can't choose one, it would depend on the mood I'm in at the time but loved Hateful Eight because there's nothing quite like it being made these days.

There's so few directors allowed to make dark adult movies. Superheroes ruined the film industry.

Yes, the 6 superhero movies that come out each year ruined the other hundreds of films that come out each year, many of which are dark adult movies. Maybe if all you watch is superhero movies.

Speevy

Banned
I miss when Tarantino was able to transport you to somewhere you feel like you've never been before.

All these rankings are subjective, but I rank Tarantino in this order:

1) Pulp Fiction
2) Kill Bill 1 and 2
3) Jackie Brown
4) Reservoir Dogs
5) Inglourious Basterds
6) Django Unchained
7) The Hateful Eight
8) Death Proof

The reason Inglourious Basterds ranks so highly are for the various scenes throughout the film which don't play out like a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Django and Hateful Eight are so anachronistic and silly that it's hard to immerse yourself in anything that's happening. Django had some fun moments, but Hateful Eight took some of the best actors you could assemble and wasted them on an absolutely pointless plot.

I'm not for one moment suggesting that Tarantino films need to be serious. No, they're good because they have dark humor and over the top violence, but they need not be cartoonish.

Laieon

It is. It also deserved way more consideration for awards than The Revenant, but I don't think anyone wanted to see Leo DiCaprio cry again on TV.

I fucking loved the Revenant, probably my favorite film of last year.
I actually liked Leo's performance more than Hardy's
. The Hateful 8 is a close 2nd though.

Simo

A bare bones premise that's 95% entertaining dialogue in a single setting between extremely interesting characters. Plus an ending that leaves you hanging in the best possible way.

10/10

Though not his best ever.

Agreed. The 70mm roadshow was a great experience too since a group of 6 of us went...and the theater sold alcohol.

Coincidentally I just got my Mondo poster for the film framed this week. The winter storm tomorrow has me thinking about watching it and The Revenant. Lol

FTF

Agreed. The 70mm roadshow was a great experience too since a group of 6 of us went...and the theater sold alcohol.

Coincidentally I just got my Mondo poster for the film framed this week. The winter storm tomorrow has me thinking about watching it and The Revenant. Lol

Those are great choices. And The Thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom