• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strange opinion: The Hateful Eight is the best movie from Quentin Tarantino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guess Who

Banned
The last third or so falls off a cliff. The whole Channing Tatum bit is pointless and really kills a lot of what made the first half of the movie great, and by the end you realize the plot just feels like a contrivance to get eight people in one place and have blood spill everywhere. It's nowhere near Pulp Fiction, Basterds, or even Django.

Hateful Eight is gr8 (pin intended) because it really shows Tarantino's majority as a director and a really fun storyteller. It's definitely (now) my favorite Tarantino movie. It's very grounded and believable, and yet it has the Tarantino touch to it with the jokes and absurd moments.

His entire roster of movies is a dream.

Out of all his films my favourite is True Romance and possibly my favourite film of all time, I don't know if it's the writing or the fact that he wrote it and Tony Scott directed it thus giving it an extra dimension. It definitely makes me think his writing is as important as his directing. The Sicilian Scene from True Romance remains one of the greatest pieces of cinema of the 20th Century, the writing, the directing and Hopper vs Walken make for an amazing scene. Could Tarantino do the same scene better? Probably not back then, pre-reservoir dogs, he didn't have any money and couldn't get the cast. But now, I'd love to see his take on that same scene.

Its a tie between pulp and django for me, but 8 is fantastic and underrated as hell.
Critcs thinking a film longer than two hours is somehow an objective knock against it need to stop.

Sojgat

tumblr_mtc7k1DawI1qijhxwo1_250.gif

score01

Having just watched this fairly recently I agree with you op, it's up there. Really enjoyed the dialog and characters. For a pretty long film the time just zoomed by.

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Django Unchained
3. Resevoir Dogs
4. Hateful Eight
5. Kill Bill
6. Inglorious Basterds

All of them are fantastic movies though. Can't rate Jackie Brown or Deathproof as I haven't seen them yet.

It's up there, but I'd say his best is pulp fiction followed by reservoir dogs

H8 is a masterful movie, I need to watch it again now that it's winter

It feels much more tightly knit than his other recent movies

My only gripe is that one scene.. I thought it was undeservedly harsh

I've yet to see Jackie brown

Kain

Hell no, I found H8 to be extremely boring only tied with Deathproof. I didn't like the characters (Tim Roth was somewhat cool), Sam Jackson was being Sam Jackson as always, which was a bummer after his extraordinary performance in Django, it was slow as fuck, even for QT standards...

His best movie is KB1&2 I think, that shit was just magnificient. Basterds was very cool but it had a couple of "filler" parts which didn't sit good with me. Django is awesome too now that I think about it, maybe it's a tie with KB...

I need to rewatch it, but I remember thinking that it was more sizzle than steak. I love movies that have an extended length and are slow burns, but this film felt long for the sake of being long. I didn't think his dialogue was a sharp as it had been previously and that it ultimately led to nowhere. Quentin has a way with words, but I think he got a little full of himself in this script. Ever since Kill Bill, Quentin has been moving into a certain formula for his films and The Hateful 8 shows it. I still enjoy his movies and like the Hateful 8, but he's getting a bit stale and predictable.

VDenter

Banned
I would say its my personal favorite not objectively the best.

But damn do i love watching this during the winter when its snowing outside like crazy in the middle of the night and you are siting comfortably at home under a blanket enjoying some hot coco and just letting yourself getting immersed into the movies amazing atmosphere. Yep its amazing its probably the most underrated Tarantino flick. Cant wait to see what he does next.

Helmholtz

I don't think it's his best, but it's really fucking good. I had a blast watching it in theaters when it came out.
I think his best is between Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Basterds, and Reservoir Dogs. Hateful could be up there but I'd have to watch it again and give it some time.

jax

Banned
Kill Bill, Hateful 8, and Death Proof all tied for #1

The rest are great but pretty overrated if you ask me.

Cepheus

The Hateful Eight is amazing, but to me it felt like Reservoir Dogs but in the 1800s this time.
Same twist, the actors in it who were also in Dogs die in the same way, etc

Kurt Russell was great in it too, rivalling his performance in Death Proof. Also, seeing Zoe Bell in the same Tarantino film as him again was nice, even though they don't share any scenes together. Also, in Death Proof,
Kurt Russell's character kills the decoy main characters halfway through the film
, and in the Hateful Eight,
Kurt Russell's character is a decoy main character that gets killed off halfway through the film
. That can't have been coincidental.

The true best Tarantino film is Jackie Brown, followed by Kill Bill, and then Death Proof. Pam Grier is the only person to outperform a main Samuel L Jackson role in a Tarantino film.

1) Jackie Brown
2) Kill Bill
3) Death Proof
4) Pulp Fiction
5) Hateful Eight
6) Django
7) Reservoir Dogs
8) Inglorious Basterds, in that order.

The table scene of Inglorious Basterds is better than the entire hateful 8. But I wish I could have seen it in 70mm.

The reveal with
Tatums gang
was the best part for me.

jax

Banned
I would say its my personal favorite not objectively the best.

But damn do i love watching this during the winter when its snowing outside like crazy in the middle of the night and you are siting comfortably at home under a blanket enjoying some hot coco and just letting yourself getting immersed into the movies amazing atmosphere. Yep its amazing its probably the most underrated Tarantino flick. Cant wait to see what he does last.
Fixed that for you 😿

A bare bones premise that's 95% entertaining dialogue in a single setting between extremely interesting characters. Plus an ending that leaves you hanging in the best possible way.

10/10

Though not his best ever.

I enjoyed the movie but it was one of those "i am only gonna watch this once", the first half of the movie is way too slow to really enjoy upon a rewatch.

My top is always Pulp Fiction, if its on TV I will stop and watch it for a long time. I love Kill Bill too but its pretty long if you consider it all one movie. The only other movie of his I really like is Inglorious, the rest are all just average to me.

Hateful Eight was great but following Django Unchained with another western was born to yield a let down.

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Django Unchained
3. Jackie Brown
4. Hateful Eight
5. Inglorious Basterds
6. Reservoir Dogs
7. Kill Bill
8. Deathproof

Nokterian

Inglorious Bastards, Django Unchained are one of his best work. I also vow that Kill Bill is sublime. What i like most about Tarantino movies his the dialogue and involvement of the characters no other movies does this.

Macka

Pulp Fiction is still my favourite, but Inglourious Basterds is fantastic from start to finish as well. Reservoir Dogs rounds out the top 3 imo. I left the cinema enjoying The Hateful Eight but feeling that it was probably his weakest film, although to be fair I do need to watch it a few more times to solidify my opinion.

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Inglorious Basterds
3. Reservoir Dogs
4. Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2
5. Jackie Brown
6. Django Unchained
7. Deathproof
8. The Hateful Eight

molnizzle

I should watch The Hateful Eight.

Having not seen it, I've still gotta go with Pulp Fiction as my favorite Tarantino flick. I loved Django until the very last shootout when it went all comic book with the violence. That knocks it down below Pulp again.

Powercast

Just like Fincher, all his movies are pretty equal quality wise IMO, I can't choose one, it would depend on the mood I'm in at the time but loved Hateful Eight because there's nothing quite like it being made these days.

There's so few directors allowed to make dark adult movies. Superheroes ruined the film industry.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Hateful Eight is the first of his movies that I had no desire to ever watch a second time.

The way I feel about it, Reservoir Dogs did everything Hateful Eight did, only in half the run time and 25 years ago.

That's not to say I didn't like it. It was fine in the same way that all QT movies tend to be, full of lots of drippy dialog and fun character interactions. I enjoyed it, it was just the least inspired out of all of his movies by a wide margin.

EGM1966

Nah it's Jackie Brown.

Hateful Eight is one of his more over-written films that while it's a solid enough Tarantino flick remains too lightweight of theme or content.

Pulp Fictions next after JB.

I like his recent films but they're way too focused on showcasing his knowledge of film and too light on actual thematic purpose.

They're always stylish though and lovely to look at though.

HotHamBoy

Strange Opinion: Django Unchained is one of his worst.

I really liked Heightful Eight but you can't beat Pulp Fiction, Resevoir Dogs is really tight and ultimately I prefer Inglorious Bastards, too. Been awhile since I've seen Jackie Brown but I feel like that's the "hip" answer.

I appreciated that Heightful Eight could easily have been a stage play.

Teletraan1

Banned
My personal favorite is Jackie Brown. It isn't as far up its own ass like his other movies, especially his newer ones. It is just a standard heist movie but I love the characters and soundtrack. I would rank my next favorites as Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, the rest.

You can feel its stage roots, so it is not the best example of something taking the most advantage out of cinema. It is wonderful as long as people are talking, but it doesn't quite compare to other of his film in the non dialogue storytelling. Even Deathproof is a better example of building tension solely through techniques inherently cinematic rather than theatrical.

I really liked The Hateful Eight but it's probably in the middle of the pack as far as his movies go.

Three weeks left in 2016 for them to release Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair...

Retsudo

Wasn't he supposed to direct two more movies?

Yeah, he has said he wants to make 10 movies and then stop. I would love if one of those 2 (assuming he stops at 10) is a full on horror movie or something like that.

I like most of his movies a lot, except for Inglorious Bastards. that movie never clicked for me, i was so bored when i watched it at the movies i fell asleep.

FTF

Nothing strange about it, it's a great, great movie. Though my Tarantino rankings are:

Pulp Fiction
Inglourious Basterds
Django Unchained
Kill Bill 1 & 2
The Hateful Eight
Reservoir Dogs
Jackie Brown

cj_iwakura

It's a fantastic film, but the second half brings it down. Instead of adding to the suspense, he just
says fuck it and decides to kill half the cast.

If he'd been reigned in and maintained the mystery tone, it would have been easily his best. As is, it's Inglourious Basterds.

Cepheus

I really liked The Hateful Eight but it's probably in the middle of the pack as far as his movies go.

Three weeks left in 2016 for them to release Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair...

I don't think he'll release it until Volume 3 is in production, and then put the Whole Bloody Affair in cinemas a year before Volume 3 comes out to get people hyped for the new film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom