• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strange opinion: The Hateful Eight is the best movie from Quentin Tarantino

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, I thought it was a tribute to 'Once upon a time in the west' (Fonda and his gang murders the family) I love this scene ...it's probably the best 'Sergio Leone' tributeI've ever seen.

Eh... Once Upon A Time In The West is one of my favorite movies ever and I'm really not feeling the parallel. While it was senseless it fit Fonda's psychotic character to murder the family in that scene but in H8 it never really made sense to me why they needed to kill the staff (and yet leave the old general alive :/) when simply being there as guests stuck in the blizzard with the staff alive would have raised a lot less suspicion. I guess it was a forced solution to have the movie be about the Hateful Eight and not the Hateful Eight and unnecessary side characters but I really didn't feel like it added anything to the film to go back and show us how they pulled it off.

I think a lot of the film works really well but some aspects of the story were clunky and needed more polish. I was lucky enough to catch one of the 70mm showings and it was a great experience. I have to give Tarantino respect for the dedication to shoot a movie on that medium in the age of digital.

Eh... Once Upon A Time In The West is one of my favorite movies ever and I'm really not feeling the parallel. While it was senseless it fit Fonda's psychotic character to murder the family in that scene but in H8 it never really made sense to me why they needed to kill the staff (and yet leave the old general alive :/) when simply being there as guests stuck in the blizzard with the staff alive would have raised a lot less suspicion. I guess it was a forced solution to have the movie be about the Hateful Eight and not the Hateful Eight and unnecessary side characters but I really didn't feel like it added anything to the film to go back and show us how they pulled it off.

I think a lot of the film works really well but some aspects of the story were clunky and needed more polish. I was lucky enough to catch one of the 70mm showings and it was a great experience. I have to give Tarantino respect for the dedication to shoot a movie on that medium in the age of digital.

I can see where you're coming from but isn't it pretty much the same? Fonda murders the family because ...you know why ^^. The gang in The Hateful Eight murders all of the characters because they want to free 'her'

They have a reason. Both of them. Both gangs are bad no matter what they want to achieve. Both
mass murders
are unnecessary.

I really liked H8 and it is probably the film of Tarantino's that has stuck with me the most after viewing, but I don't know if it's his best film. The implication of the final scene/shot is incredibly cynical, but it really worked for me.

Any conversation about which of his films are the best is always a reminder that (even if his style isn't to your personal taste) the man is an absolute master of his craft. His ability to wring every ounce of tension out of a scene, constantly building while also subverting the audience's expectations is a genuine joy to watch unfold.

amaretto

i will say the second half of TH8 is QT's strongest material after Pulp Fiction. He was absolutely firing on all cylinders.

I don't know how that movie ended up being so overlooked. Perhaps if he condensed the first half & released it earlier there would have been a much stronger reception? Between the score, cinematography, that fire script, and Goggins/Jackson/Leigh/Dern that movie was out of this world.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
So which movie isn't a correct answer then? Deathproof?

Probably. Deathproof gets a lot of hate even though for many directors it would be their best film. Quentin is just held to a higher standard, for understandable reasons.

Fury451

Banned
Probably. Deathproof gets a lot of hate even though for many directors it would be their best film. Quentin is just held to a higher standard, for understandable reasons.

Death Proof is so damn boring. It was boring as part of the Grindhouse double feature and even worse when it was standalone released.

Stuntman Mike and the car chase are worth the price of admission, but it's probably his most self-masturbatory dialogue wise and that pulled it right down.

I can see where you're coming from but isn't it pretty much the same? Fonda murders the family because ...you know why ^^. The gang in The Hateful Eight murders all of the characters because they want to free 'her'

They have a reason. Both of them. Both gangs are bad no matter what they want to achieve. Both
mass murders
are unnecessary.

Well
Fonda ultimately wanted to steal their land which was way easier to do when they're dead :(

I probably need to watch H8 again and see if I still feel the same way about it. Kill Bill is probably the only one of Tarantino's films that I didn't adjust my opinion on after multiple viewings. I actually hated Jackie Brown the first time I saw it and now it's my favorite of his movies.

inm8num2

Hmm...

Jackie Brown
Reservoir Dogs
Inglourious Basterds
Pulp Fiction
Django Unchained
The Hateful Eight
Kill Bill Vols 1 & 2
Death Proof

Bear in mind that TH8 is still a great movie - those others above it are simply better. Obligatory: QT's best script is True Romance.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Death Proof is so damn boring. It was boring as part of the Grindhouse double feature and even worse when it was standalone released.

Stuntman Mike and the car chase are worth the price of admission, but it's probably his most self-masturbatory dialogue wise and that pulled it right down.

I've seen far worse, but in the context of Quentin's work I can't disagree.

KingK

I love H8, but it's Inglorious Basterds by far for me, followed by Pulp Fiction. Tarantino is my favorite director though, I've seen all his movies so many times.

Most people disagree with me, but I actually think Inglourious Basterds was his best movie.
I think Tarantino himself thought so as well, at least at the time. I always took the last line from Aldo after marking Landa, "I think this might be my masterpiece," to be a sort of 4th wall breaking thing.

I just saw this for the first time yesterday, while I wont say its his best its better than I was lead to believe. Really enjoyed it.

I love H8, but it's Inglorious Basterds by far for me, followed by Pulp Fiction. Tarantino is my favorite director though, I've seen all his movies so many times.

I think Tarantino himself thought so as well, at least at the time. I always took the last line from Aldo after marking Landa, "I think this might be my masterpiece," to be a sort of 4th wall breaking thing.

Yeah I think that's definitely what that was. I remember seeing an introduction Tarantino recorded for a showing of There Will Be Blood, where he basically said that film was so good that he wanted to make a film that could compete with it, and IB was his attempt at that.

Found a link: https://youtu.be/jsUOHbhsq1I?t=8m11s

carlsojo

It's good unless you put any kind of thought into it and wonder why
the bad guys didn't just massacre them when the others arrived.

Of the handful I've seen, it's definitely one of the more enjoyable. Was very surprised after watching Django and really not liking it.

jett

D-Member
Well, your title isn't completely wrong. It's one strange-ass opinion.

For me Hateful Eight is at the bottom, fighting it out with Death Proof. I don't dislike either, but I was definitely disappointed by H8.

Odoul

Inglorious Basterds was his crescendo and he hasn't been able to match it since.

Hateul 8 and Django have the same problem in that their climaxes were fucked.

Which is weird because usually his movies all come together pretty beautifully at the end.

norm9

I love all but deathproof.

Best movie probably written over a weekend because the deadline was that weekend. But yeah, it was terrible. Big mistake to have it as the second movie of a doubleheader after Planet Terror which was all sorts of fan service.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
If all the time before the cabin was a few minutes shorter, the movie would be better for it.

Still a fantastic and memorable movie. The acting was top notch throughout. CLOSE THE GODDAMN DOOR

Jackie Brown and RD for me. Second is one of the best films for rewatches, shit never gets old. Brown has amazing pacing, and is one of the best films I've seen period. God tier acting from Forster.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Reservoir Dogs will forever be my favorite of his, I think. But I could easily write the case for any of them - they're all masterpieces, even Deathproof.

Kill Bill is my favorite swords down, I think Inglorious Basterds is his best made film
Hateful eight was great but isn't in my top of his films. I really want more Tarantino gifs posted

Felt it was a bit imperfect in pacing to be quite near the top, but it's actually grown on me and a lot higher than I would have expected after the first viewing. Every time I watch it, the acting and dialogue wins me over more and more.

And for me, it's especially the cinematography and score that I love... I'm not a fan of the broader pacing of the story, but I love the way the cinematography and score pace and build tension in specific isolated scenes.

For me, it's been a film that I've loved to re-watch 15 or 20 minutes at a time. Kinda similar to Pulp Fiction in that regard. I'm a really big fan of RD and Django as complete pictures (and obviously PF in this regard to), but I always really enjoy watching just parts of PF and TH8.

Never got the love for Jackie Brown or IB. Both meh-tier films with some great scenes.

He'll never top Pulp Fiction, but Kill Bill and Django come close. Hateful Eight is somewhere in the middle. Never saw Death Proof.

Secret best film is From Dusk Til Dawn. My favorite thing he's worked on. God tier Tarantino and Rodriguez.

"I may be an asshole, but I'm not a fuckin' asshole."

number11

This is probably my fault.. but i enjoyed reading the script more than watching the movie.

Like they say at the end of the film.. Inglorious Basterds is his masterpiece.

Gnome

It's so close between Inglourious Basterds and Hateful Eight for me. I think I give the edge to Inglourious Basterds for "gorlami", oh and the whole scene in the bar with Fassbender being German and holding his fingers wrong.

This is probably my fault.. but i enjoyed reading the script more than watching the movie.

Like they say at the end of the film.. Inglorious Basterds is his masterpiece.

IIRC it was written as a stage play, so it makes sense that reading the script would be enjoyable. Though I've heard when Tarantino writes scripts for action it's super tedious and over-detailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom