• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Launch Event: Lupe Fiasco VS Daigo Umehara

Zipzo

Banned
I saw Mr. Wizard tweet about having these two rematch at EVO. IMO they should never play in a organized exhibition like this again. And I'm not saying that because I hated it, I actually really enjoyed it. I'm saying that because what happened the first time was unexpected and seemed even magical to a degree. I don't think anybody expected Daigo to do what he did. Sure people could see him sand bagging, but not to this degree. One known quote from him is that he would always give it his all in matches, no matter who his opponent is. Maybe he only meant tournament matches because it obviously didn't apply here.

Basically if they did it again. Everybody would see it coming this time. It would be predictable and no where near as good as the first time. And if Daigo did play for real, their really isn't much fun in watching a pro annihilate a low level player. We see that dozens of times on stream during pool play all the time. So just leave it be, it was a pretty great experience and let us remember it that way.

That's sort of the issue, the experience wasn't "great" for people who were soured by what took place. They won't remember it that way. They'll remember it as an all-time low point for Daigo (or Capcom, or both).

That's sort of the issue, the experience wasn't "great" for people who were soured by what took place. They won't remember it that way. They'll remember it as an all-time low point for Daigo (or Capcom, or both).

Who's soured by it? The people that are going "Street Fighter V is perfectly fine?"

Zipzo

Banned
Who's soured by it? The people that are going "Street Fighter V is perfectly fine?"

Plenty of folks. Me for one.

I found it to be a tasteless sandbag. It doesn't scream hype to me nor excite and cement it as a memory of fun...I'm just going to remember it as fraudulent and manipulative (on whoever's idea it was's part). What, it can't be fun watching a skilled player be skilled? So many people are like "Nobody wants to see Daigo destroy a newbie"...pretty presumptuous. I'll take any chance I can get to watch a top player example their top-rate skills, whether against a newbie or an experienced player.

maomaoIYP

The fight was painful to watch.
But Daigo was stuck in a catch-22, it was either "you got beaten by a scrub" or "you beat a scrub, lol".
It's like being on the show "who's smarter than a 5th grader", there's no way to win here.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Wow this was supposed to be a fun, light-hearted marketing event and people are really catching feelings over it. Next week Daigo gonna be on Ellen looking like Ronda.

Qvoth

i'm more surprised at hearing there's people getting soured over such an irrelevant event lol
it's a pr event 1st and foremost, and it succeeded
i doubt there's going to be a rematch, it's getting stupid

Edzi

i'm more surprised at hearing there's people getting soured over such an irrelevant event lol
it's a pr event 1st and foremost, and it succeeded
i doubt there's going to be a rematch, it's getting stupid

Yeah, it's becoming a bit weird seeing how seriously some people took this event. It was just a fun exhibition match for publicity, nothing more.

Zipzo

Banned
Except all the various news outlets are reporting it like a champion has been toppled, however irrelevant you assert it. If I best Daigo legitimately without him sandbagging in friendlies, do you think I care what the setting is? Hell no, I just beat Daigo when he was going full tilt, I'm excited as hell.

This was not the case, so reading news reporting it like Daigo was somehow upset when it's obvious he basically gave the match to Lupe...it's annoying, because it's dishonest.

If it's not such a big deal, maybe Daigo wouldn't have an issue admitting he sandbagged? I mean after all, the event was just for fun right? Why would it matter if he admitted it was a ruse? Oh wait, that would defeat the point if not for the fact it was way too apparently obvious for anyone with any experience watching Daigo. It was clear it was intended to excite straight up green fighting game players.

If you're experienced and a long term veteran of fighting games I'd be in disbelief for you to not pop an eyebrow at this or feel slightly ashamed.

bman94

God damn it's great to see Lupe to have legitimate fun after all that bullshit with Atlantic Records. It's rare that you see celebrities actually seem like normal people.

Yeah, it's becoming a bit weird seeing how seriously some people took this event. It was just a fun exhibition match for publicity, nothing more.
Nah bruh this shit is serious business. Fuck fun. Posters in here are sapping fun like a Goku spirit bomb.

Whatever makes people feel better.

Boke1879

Except all the various news outlets are reporting it like a champion has been toppled, however irrelevant you assert it. If I best Daigo legitimately without him sandbagging in friendlies, do you think I care what the setting is? Hell no, I just beat Daigo when he was going full tilt, I'm excited as hell.

This was not the case, so reading news reporting it like Daigo was somehow upset when it's obvious he basically gave the match to Lupe...it's annoying, because it's dishonest.

If it's not such a big deal, maybe Daigo wouldn't have an issue admitting he sandbagged? I mean after all, the event was just for fun right? Why would it matter if he admitted it was a ruse? Oh wait, that would defeat the point if not for the fact it was way too apparently obvious for anyone with any experience watching Daigo. It was clear it was intended to excite straight up green fighting game players.

If you're experienced and a long term veteran of fighting games I'd be in disbelief for you to not pop an eyebrow at this or feel slightly ashamed.

Who cares? It was fun exhibition match. Do you think Lupe really believes he possess any amount of skill close to Daigo? It's obvious to anyone who pays attention to the scene this match wasn't serious. I'm sure Lupe, Capcom, and the scene see this as pretty much a mutual gain. No one is "soured" by this. The fact that Daigo could let down the reigns and just have fun shows how humble he is and how much he doesn't buy into this god idol most people put him as.

bman94

You can't read a player if he doesn't even know what he'll do.

CbTz497UMAAEi-k.png
Please don't compare Lupe with those shitty ass rappers.

ovii

I've never watched any live fighting games, but I tuned in because I'm a fan of Lupe, and I saw that clip with daigo vs jwong. During the fight, I was extremely hyped that Lupe was getting some decent hits in, and eventually won. I know that daigo probably let him win, but as someone who never watched or had any interest in FGC, I thought the fight was enjoyable.

I don't think this showmatch was to be taken seriously, at least that's my understanding.

Top Bottom