• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V: Season 2 changes

Did they change Ryu's j.lk?

They better not if they're nerfing his normals, damage, and he takes a beating from the system changes. They better compensate for this since a lot of weaker characters are getting buffed. His normals are still stubby and his fireball game is not that strong.

Sayad

People basically hate on everything that isn't muscled badasses, cool guys and hot/cute girls. Weirdos and uggos usually only get a pass when enough time has passed that people get nostalgic for them.
Off the top of my head, Hugo, Faust, Chang, Voldo, Yoshimitsu, Ash, Duo Lon are characters with a lot of fans. People mainly hate bad designs, not weirdos and uggos(what ever that mean) characters!

My guess is that Guile's V-Trigger will only allow 4 Sonic Break booms now instead of 6 to compensate for it being 2 bars. Also, I read that his s.HP no longer crush counters. Not sure how I feel about that.

Zyrox

Bison can store projectiles to use in combos now? First teleport dashes, now this...dude is slowly transforming into Azrael. Weakpoints incoming in S3? lol

On another note, where my Birdie buffs at?

Wallach

My guess is that Guile's V-Trigger will only allow 4 Sonic Break booms now instead of 6 to compensate for it being 2 bars. Also, I read that his s.HP no longer crush counters. Not sure how I feel about that.

I'm waiting for more confirmation on the s.HP thing; it may just be that normal DPs no longer reward CCs with their full body invincibility removed, with EX DPs now being the only ones that guarantee CCs.

wamberz1

She's really not more of a problem than anyone else unless you're bad at the game, play a character with a poor match-up against her and/or don't want to learn match ups. I've rarely had much problems against most Mikas, unless they're fantastic, but those are rare as they are with every other character. But in any case, you're going to keep getting bodied anyway.

Good luck.

Oh I'm definitely terrible. It's the same problem I had with kens dp's in sf4. I knew the problem , how to counter it, and was looking out for it and yet still got hit by it 90% of the time anyways. even after dumping hundreds of hours into the game I get hit by it at least 10 times every mika match. I don't know if it's deserved, as I don't play high level, but it being less punishing is going to be nice.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
They better not if they're nerfing his normals, damage, and he takes a beating from the system changes. They better compensate for this since a lot of weaker characters are getting buffed. His normals are still stubby and his fireball game is not that strong.
Nah that move is stupid and borderline broken. I would rather they give him something else if he needs to.

But on paper I agree that they might go a little far on the "OG" characters. We'll see.

Wallach

Oh I'm definitely terrible. It's the same problem I had with kens dp's in sf4. I knew the problem , how to counter it, and was looking out for it and yet still got hit by it 90% of the time anyways. even after dumping hundreds of hours into the game I get hit by it at least 10 times every mika match. I don't know if it's deserved, as I don't play high level, but it being less punishing is going to be nice.

if it makes you feel any better none of the best players in the world were able to do shit against the highest level mika play either, so I am not entirely on board the whole "she was totally fine l2p" train

jett

D-Member
if it makes you feel any better none of the best players in the world were able to do shit against the highest level mika play either, so I am not entirely on board the whole "she was totally fine l2p" train

Yeah man, remember how the top three was Du, Fuudo and Luffy?

On another note, where my Birdie buffs at?

As far as I'm able to find out from research, Birdie is identical to S1, except his HK bull revenger grabs people faster.

I'm expecting him to reciece a couple of random non-important changes at best.

That's like saying Necalli, Chun, Guile and everyone in the top 8 are OP because excellent players play them really well. Du is a tremendously good player and deserved the win. He fucking wrecked house with Guile last time, destroying Tokido's ryu in the grand finals. Ortiz' Chun was a monster in most fights, completely dominating matches. Haitani, with his Necalli, wrecked Fuudo who was seen for a long while as the greatest Mika player.

Saying "nah their character was OP pls nerf" is not giving the talented players the credit they deserve, especially when results contradict such statements. It would be really unfair of me to say "Chun is often seen as the best character in the game. Ortiz only came as far as she did because she plays an OP character".

True af, Ortiz's Chun Li made me terrified and I wasnt even the one playing.

Durden77

Guile gets a 2 BAR V-GAUGE NOW?!?!

Lord I'm not ready for heaven yet.

Also sorry to the Mika mains, but I'm extremely excited about the no invisible wall. That's always been an extremely stupid think imo and without it I think she will play much more as they intended.

Overall these changes seem great. Game continues to get better an better.

qcf x2

Ha, I called that exact Mika nerf in like... week 1 of the game being out. She'll still be a problem. Glad Ryu got nerfed, hope Ken gets tweaked so he can't be as reckless and of course I hope the DLC characters become legit viable.

...No word on the load times / infrastructure improving?

Wallach

my point wasn't that she was horribly overpowered (du likely would have won this tournament only playing guile), but rather that it's very hand-wavey to try and pretend like there is no possible risk:reward issues going on with that character that have no merit getting adjusted

But then look at how the Mikas are playing. Her drop kick? Easy to react to and is an almost free jump-in combo for you and is otherwise beaten by practically everything unless it's spaced correctly. Clap is unsafe and can be punished etc.

The only place where Mika is just fucking terrifying is the corner, but she always has difficulty closing in on people and getting out of pressure herself.

I acknowledge that Mika is really fucking tough at first, but the more you learn about her gaping flaws, the easier she is to beat. It's been a while since I've lost to a "random" mika. My problem lies more in that Capcom apparently listened to the tons of complaints from people who simply do not seem to know how to fight against her and decided to bury her in the ground. It seems incredibly unjustified, even more so when you look at Bipson and Chun buffs. Weird thing is, I did think she needed A nerf, namely making lady mika less than +3 on block. But instead they turned a mostly unbalanced character into a completely unbalanced character by removing almost all of her mid-screen options.

Like, I, for whatever reason, cannot for the life of me defeat bipsons. I don't think he deserves to get nerfed (though I don't think he needed to get buffed). He's fine as he is and I just need to get better and learn how to fight him.

The problem with Mika is that, she always felt like you were in her vortex once she got her hands on you, regardless of where she hit you on the screen; corner or mid-screen didn't matter. Getting up against her required a 50/50 guess, and it sucked every damn time. She wasn't a fun character to play against. She was mentally exhausting. Also, i've played against MIka that properly utilize her ex. peach to push you into the corner so its not like she is now lack for a corner carry tool.

They've said from the beginning they wanted this to be a less-Vortex focused game. I NEVER thought she should've had mid-screen wall bounce. She felt absolutely fine without it in beta 3, and I feel like they jsut gave it back to her due to knee-jerk complaints. I think top level Mika's are still going to do exceedingly well with her, btw. I think a lot of this is typical hyperbole that comes from taking what has been considered such a key tool for a character away from them.

fam

Yeah man, remember how the top three was Du, Fuudo and Luffy?

Du got 1st, Fuudo got 5th, and Luffy got 9th. That is a pretty good spread for a character considering those were the only Mikas out of 32.

I say this all as a Mika main. Clap was definitely too strong for how safe it was too use, but I think they went overboard with nerfing both the turnaround and the invisible wall. On the bright side, according to FChamp's twitter, her frame data is better on charged dropkick. Mika also gets an indirect buff with no more meterless reversals.

Im glad Bison got buffed. I havent fought a single one online yet (though Ive only had the game for a few weeks).
Mika losing her mid screen wall splat option is disappointing. DP on wakeup losing its priority seems silly.

EX peach doesn't hit far enough to be a corner carry. While yes, it can be mentally exhausting, Mika players aren't exactly sipping tea and doing nothing in the meantime. Mika needs to be in your face to pressure you, but she has no good tools to get close to people without taking constant risks. And with her less than average health, she'll feel every mistake. She has no way of getting out of pressure, so one mistake and she's on the receiving end.

Also I haven't seen a mika who doesn't use ex pb to push into the corner. That is like the most basic thing in the world. And while the no mid screen wall bounce can be worked with, making a clap that is already unsafe on block even more unsafe seems unnecessary. What really seems to be the killing nerf for her is that she apparently cannot switch directions with irish whip, which out of all changes, seems the most batshit stupid thing ever. Why the hell would you even.

Mika pressure just doesn't have any rest time once her pressure is on. There is no breathing room. No chance for the gameplay to back to a neutral state, even if you're at mid-screen. Thats how it is now. This changes that. And her ex.peach has armor, and tons of people have used it on wake up as a way to get out of pressure when she is on receiving end. She's not helpless.

I do agree that she should be able to choose the direction, but I imagine that its because they don't want players who push Mika into the corner to feel like they need to back away because she's actually where she wants to be; 1 clap away from being at the advantage. They want her to have to work to get on the outside, then use that to her advantage.

sephi22

As a guy who's favorite character is Mika but favorite character to play is Dhalsim, I'm more than okay with these changes

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Funny thing is that Bison is really good online. Like top tier good according to all stats I have seen. I hope they have lower skill levels in mind, too.

EX peach doesn't hit far enough to be a corner carry. While yes, it can be mentally exhausting, Mika players aren't exactly sipping tea and doing nothing in the meantime. Mika needs to be in your face to pressure you, but she has no good tools to get close to people without taking constant risks. And with her less than average health, she'll feel every mistake. She has no way of getting out of pressure, so one mistake and she's on the receiving end.

Also I haven't seen a mika who doesn't use ex pb to push into the corner. That is like the most basic thing in the world. And while the no mid screen wall bounce can be worked with, making a clap that is already unsafe on block even more unsafe seems unnecessary. What really seems to be the killing nerf for her is that she apparently cannot switch directions with irish whip, which out of all changes, seems the most batshit stupid thing ever. Why the hell would you even.
You are really underselling her, come on. She has more tools to get in than most of the cast. And the last line is false from what I understand.

NastyBook

They went upside Mika's head with that nerf bat. Can't wait to see to Art start taking the NLBCs consistently.

EDIT: Gonna start watching Tampa Bison's stream more.

We also got 3 Chuns, 2 cammys and 2 necallis. Du is at the top of his game and Fuudo had an easier-than-average run and has proven to also be a top tier player.

Clap is -2 on block. Actually doing whip immediately is -27 or something. Doing it out of s.mp has always been the smarter thing to do unless you have godly reaction speeds, but this only works from very short range, as s.mp pushes back.

Top players gravitate toward strong characters in general and the players at CC were all the best of the best. All I'm saying is that Mika did very well this weekend. And yep, Chun and Necalli did good too--they are also extremely strong characters.

And yeah -2 is really good considering all the damage and set-ups you get with it. Having to hit confirm the extremely minus whip after the clap is hard, it's true. But it's one of the few execution barriers to playing Mika outside of canceling from her lights.

I do hope she gets more reasonable buffs to help her out in the neutral to make up for the clap nerfs. In the end though, her character, by design, is not meant to dominate and pressure with strong buttons.

I'm wondering if there's any buffs that people missed. Like something for her V Skill, or damage buffs to things like her body splash, or less recovery for her command throws, which can also be used to corner carry. I'm not counting on it though.

Top Bottom