• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V: Season 2 changes

myco666

No idea what they're doing with Birdie but I hope the subtle frame data changes are good. There are a few things I'd be happy about that could actually make him a lot better without anything major, but we'l wait and see I guess.

Honestly I don't think Birdie needs that much adjustment. Only thing I would like is to EX Bullhorn to have little bit faster startup so that you cant beat it by mashing jab on Birdies wakeup. Otherwise I think it is a very fair character.

Yeah I meant to say axe kick or B+HK instead of st. HK, my mistake. So it's a small little buff but I'll take it since Ryu got hit kind of hard with this next update.

But that isn't a buff? That has been in the game since launch. There is even one trial where you do b.HK xx m.Shoryuken. Or am I really misunderstanding what you mean?

kirblar

No idea what they're doing with Birdie but I hope the subtle frame data changes are good. There are a few things I'd be happy about that could actually make him a lot better without anything major, but we'l wait and see I guess.
Just nerfing the top tiers is probably enough in his case. He wins by staying still/minor buffs.

SmokeMaxX

Honestly I don't think Birdie needs that much adjustment. Only thing I would like is to EX Bullhorn to have little bit faster startup so that you cant beat it by mashing jab on Birdies wakeup. Otherwise I think it is a very fair character.
He's definitely "fair" right now, but I don't think that translates to good. Doesn't help that his three worst matchups are some of the more popular tournament characters (Nash/Chun/Guile). I'm okay with EX Bullhorn staying how it is. Urien's reversal is invincible and he gets meatied for free too.

Just nerfing the top tiers is probably enough in his case. He wins by staying still/minor buffs.
I've mained a lot of average-to-terrible characters over the past decade. Usually characters that other people complain about but don't main. Staying still and not fixing the problems that those characters had did not get them anywhere in updates to the game. Birdie had a lot of problems in Season 1 that weren't necessarily confined to "loses to X character because X is top tier." If the only changes were that top tier characters were getting nerfed, Birdie would probably be fine but other characters are getting buffed. If Birdie's real bad matchups of Nash/Chun/Guile turns into Vega/Dhalsim/Ibuki, Birdie doesn't really move up. Everyone talks about how great Birdie is and how he doesn't need any buffs, but when it comes to winning CPT tournaments, he's at zero. I haven't even heard of him winning a lot of small regional tournaments. Like 2/3rds of the cast has already won a CPT tournament so I would not feel bad at all if they overbuffed Birdie. I'd rather they buffed him enough to ensure a quality player like XYZZY can win a major with him than go another year of "welp, Birdie still sucks."

Renekton

That DP nerf already is likely to make his life way easier. In fact, it probably makes every grappler/semi-grappler's life easier.
Regular throw nerf is interesting. I wonder if it affects grappler ability to follow up the pressure.

Everyone talks about how great Birdie is and how he doesn't need any buffs, but when it comes to winning CPT tournaments, he's at zero. I haven't even heard of him winning a lot of small regional tournaments. Like 2/3rds of the cast has already won a CPT tournament so I would not feel bad at all if they overbuffed Birdie. I'd rather they buffed him enough to ensure a quality player like XYZZY can win a major with him than go another year of "welp, Birdie still sucks."
Laura's tourney result is also pretty abysmal after Crimson's surprise launch week win.

Trickster

Obviously I'm biased when it comes to this. But man, I really don't see how Mika is supposed to remain at all viable with her nerfs. They're basically removing one of her character defining abilities.

I haven't had time to play in about a week or so. Are these changes already in effect?

They pretty much killed Nash's dash and really hurt his mobility overall. They need to give him a faster walk speed to compensate.

Better recovery from V-Trigger is pointless if you're using it right to begin with.

Invincible frames on EX Scythe is the only good and useful thing they have done to Nash in this update.

Edit: I also appreciate that they finally realized that DPs should follow the same rules as other non-EX moves when it comes to meaties.

SmokeMaxX

Regular throw nerf is interesting. I wonder if it affects grappler ability to follow up the pressure.

Laura's tourney result is also pretty abysmal after Crimson's surprise launch week win.
Oh, I also think Laura is currently trash but at least she won a CPT tournament. There's a lot of pushback online on buffing Birdie and it doesn't make sense to me lol. Ibuki's getting massive buffs. Gief's getting buffs. Vega is getting buffed. Dhalsim and Bison are getting huge huge buffs. And Birdie's supposed to be okay with staying the same?
Obviously I'm biased when it comes to this. But man, I really don't see how Mika is supposed to remain at all viable with her nerfs. They're basically removing one of her character defining abilities.
It looks like their priority with her is removing the derp. If that means she isn't tournament viable anymore, so be it. I think they heard a lot of complaints about how she plays and are responding accordingly to that. I think she'll still be decent. She's not a bad character even though plenty of Mika mains will tell you even now she's not that good.

I haven't had time to play in about a week or so. Are these changes already in effect?

They pretty much killed Nash's dash and really hurt his mobility overall. They need to give him a faster walk speed to compensate.

Better recovery from V-Trigger is pointless if you're using it right to begin with.

Invincible frames on EX Scythe is the only good and useful thing they have done to Nash in this update.
Changes start on Dec. 20th.

Nash's walkspeed is said to have improved, but shorter dash (maybe slower too but heard conflicting reports). Nash's VT recovery was made longer so it was nerfed. Not sure exactly what this entails, but IMO I'd rather they change the sonic boom VT "mixup" so it's blockable online. Yes I know you're doing VT to cross me up before the boom hits me. Yes I input other side block as soon as I saw the flash. No, you're not godlike. I just got hit by it because of lag (as seen by looking at inputs during the replay).

They buffed EX Scythe? I must've missed that. I thought it already had upper body invincibility?

Renekton

I can understand the reasoning, his quick scythes make us slow to react to his forward dash pressure / throw.

kirblar

Nash, Chun and Karin are all getting nerfed, all were bad matches for Birdie. It's a big net positive.

Nash's dashes were always going to get nerfed in some form due to the invisible startup regardless. Clearly wasn't deliberately supposed to be that hard to react to.

SmokeMaxX

Nash, Chun and Karin are all getting nerfed, all were bad matches for Birdie. It's a big net positive.

Nash's dashes were always going to get nerfed in some form due to the invisible startup regardless. Clearly wasn't deliberately supposed to be that hard to react to.
Maybe Nash and Chun will get better. Hoping so. Dunno if Nash's changes affect the matchup that much. Chun got some buffs too, so we'll see how that all pans out but definitely got nerfed in some of the ways that gave Birdie problems. IMO Birdie-Karin is 5-5, but I guess now it's clearly advantage Birdie.

Oh, I also think Laura is currently trash but at least she won a CPT tournament. There's a lot of pushback online on buffing Birdie and it doesn't make sense to me lol. Ibuki's getting massive buffs. Gief's getting buffs. Vega is getting buffed. Dhalsim and Bison are getting huge huge buffs. And Birdie's supposed to be okay with staying the same?

It looks like their priority with her is removing the derp. If that means she isn't tournament viable anymore, so be it. I think they heard a lot of complaints about how she plays and are responding accordingly to that. I think she'll still be decent. She's not a bad character even though plenty of Mika mains will tell you even now she's not that good.

Changes start on Dec. 20th.

Nash's walkspeed is said to have improved, but shorter dash (maybe slower too but heard conflicting reports). Nash's VT recovery was made longer so it was nerfed. Not sure exactly what this entails, but IMO I'd rather they change the sonic boom VT "mixup" so it's blockable online. Yes I know you're doing VT to cross me up before the boom hits me. Yes I input other side block as soon as I saw the flash. No, you're not godlike. I just got hit by it because of lag (as seen by looking at inputs during the replay).

They buffed EX Scythe? I must've missed that. I thought it already had upper body invincibility?
Ohhhh "more" recovery means longer recovery, not less.

If I can no longer do VT into HP, SS, CA...

Thanks for the info.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I thought I read somewhere yesterday that every character can V Trigger cancel their special move now. Anybody know for sure if this is true?
Can anyone confirm or deny? This would be a huge change to the game.

That was bs from day1 and she didn't have it in all of the betas, either. You can't have your strongest 50/50 character get you to the corner after one medium hit.

Karin is not a bad match-up for Birdie, it's maybe her worst.

But that isn't a buff? That has been in the game since launch. There is even one trial where you do b.HK xx m.Shoryuken. Or am I really misunderstanding what you mean?

You can't special cancel B+HK but you can link it into 4f moves since it's +4 on hit. MP DP is one of those moves you can link but st. LK is the most common. Like I said it's a small buff. Not a big deal but I'll take it.

Can anyone confirm or deny? This would be a huge change to the game.

It's false, I asked XSK Samurai about Ryu being able to V Trigger cancel specials and he told me that Ryu couldn't.

myco666

He's definitely "fair" right now, but I don't think that translates to good. Doesn't help that his three worst matchups are some of the more popular tournament characters (Nash/Chun/Guile). I'm okay with EX Bullhorn staying how it is. Urien's reversal is invincible and he gets meatied for free too.

Doesn't mean he is bad either. And I don't really understand the comparison to Urien. Sure you can do a meaty and then block on Urien like you can with Birdie but if you mash against Birdie you win. If you mash against Urien you will get hit by EX headbutt.

You can't special cancel B+HK but you can link it into 4f moves since it's +4 on hit. MP DP is one of those moves you can link but st. LK is the most common. Like I said it's a small buff. Not a big deal but I'll take it.

Ahh got it. Yeah that sounds really minor.

SmokeMaxX

Karin is not a bad match-up for Birdie, it's maybe her worst.
Nah that's close to 5-5. Karin Discord says Chun is her worst. Karin wrecks Birdie once she touches him. Not saying it's easy to touch him, but she has the tools to do it.
Doesn't mean he is bad either. And I don't really understand the comparison to Urien. Sure you can do a meaty and then block on Urien like you can with Birdie but if you mash against Birdie you win. If you mash against Urien you will get hit by EX headbutt.

Ahh got it. Yeah that sounds really minor.
Nah, you do a meaty move on Urien and if he reversals, you block and Crush Counter. Yeah mashing can beat armor though.

thelastword

Banned
Where are the Zangief changes? All I've seen is one line saying his lariat is better. Surely that can't be all. They've even buffed sim a tonne, an already tough matchup for gief...What else did they give him to cope and be viable?

SmokeMaxX

Where are the Zangief changes? All I've seen is one line saying his lariat is better. Surely that can't be all. They've even buffed sim a tonne, an already tough matchup for gief...What else did they give him to cope and be viable?
After lariat hits, opponent can't backroll so you get pretty much guaranteed oki. Lariat also hits consistently in combos even if opponent is crouching. I forgot what else they gave him, but that alone is pretty good.
Haven't read the whole thread, but what does it mean that Bison can store fireballs?

Can absorb with his v skill and then use it in a combo rather than just immediately throwing the fireball back.

Trickster

I mean, we'll see how it plays out. But I hope Capcom don't go into these yearly balance with the mindset of it being acceptable if characters get completely ruined and stop showing up in the tournaments. That would honestly be quite outrageous I think.

Honestly my biggest issue with this is the fact that Capcom have commited to the yearly balance changes. I've brought this up before so I know how many fgc people have a differently oppinion on this. But I just think it's such a bad way of doing balance. Yes, it gives players a loooong ass time to figure out the meta and mastering their characters in that meta. However as a spectator it gets freaking dull when everything is Ryu, Nash and Chun-li. It also fucking sucks if you prefer one of the weaker character, or with this upcoming balance patch, if your character ends up being hit excessively hard by nerfs, and is subsequently left to rot for a year.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
If they would have balanced the game earlier, we would have gotten massive Ken nerfs and look where he ended up. Quick changes just make no sense for fighting games unless something is obviously broken.

Fraeon

I mean, we'll see how it plays out. But I hope Capcom don't go into these yearly balance with the mindset of it being acceptable if characters get completely ruined and stop showing up in the tournaments. That would honestly be quite outrageous I think.

I dunno, GG and BB players seem to be fine with that kind of balancing.

But we see how it goes.

SmokeMaxX

I think twice a year is a nice happy medium. You definitely don't want NRS style changes where it's like "SURPRISE! New balance update three days before a major tournament!" "Oh yeah and another balance update the week after that!"

jett

D-Member
I think twice a year is a nice happy medium. You definitely don't want NRS style changes where it's like "SURPRISE! New balance update three days before a major tournament!" "Oh yeah and another balance update the week after that!"

I sure hope we don't go 12 months without a balance patch all in the name of the Capcom Pro Tour, again.

I sure hope we don't go 12 months without a balance patch all in the name of the Capcom Pro Tour, again.

My theory is that we're gonna get a balancing patch post EVO and another one post Capcom Cup. If the 2017 season pass has 6 new characters, and one of them is already released before the year even starts then that implies that they're probably gonna have all the characters out by the middle of the year, around June most likely.

This leaves them more than enough time to add/remove/balance stuff by mid-year and then again at the end of the year.

myco666

Nah, you do a meaty move on Urien and if he reversals, you block and Crush Counter. Yeah mashing can beat armor though.

That requires you to be really on point with your meaties and reactions though. Not only that Birdie can be thrown out of EX Bullhorn where as you can't do that with Urien. I would like it to be better against meaty normals. It is not something Birdie desperately needs though and is more on the 'it would be nice to have' thing.

Mupod

6A07i8g.gif

SmokeMaxX

That requires you to be really on point with your meaties and reactions though. Not only that Birdie can be thrown out of EX Bullhorn where as you can't do that with Urien. I would like it to be better against meaty normals. It is not something Birdie desperately needs though and is more on the 'it would be nice to have' thing.

That's fair. I'm a bit afraid of what they'd take away if it were too good though. But hey, I'm down for more buffs lol.

thelastword

Banned
After lariat hits, opponent can't backroll so you get pretty much guaranteed oki. Lariat also hits consistently in combos even if opponent is crouching. I forgot what else they gave him, but that alone is pretty good.
Still not enough, how is he going to get in on sim to do such a combo if sim has better buttons and is faster now...Weeps....
Bison walking speed increased. Time to main him again.
Bison's dashing in trigger more than made up for his slow walk speed, it is so fast and sometimes impossible to react to, now they're making his normal walkspeed much faster....SMH. I'm not sure that's balance at all, they've just made Bison much more annoying to deal with....I'm pretty sure we will have an influx of bisons with this...Hell, perhaps even I will have a stab at the great dictator at this point.

I find the characters they should be buffing are those that had 9:1 matchups like Sim vs Gief and terrible matchups like Gief vs Nash, at least Nash has been dialed down slightly so he's not as slippery. So yes, gief needed some major buffs, but it looks like some already strong characters are getting so much more instead......Fang also needs a buff, but what have we heard so far.......not much tbh.

Fang also needs a buff, but what have we heard so far.......not much tbh.
The removal of meterless reversals and the fact that some characters no longer have 3-frame jabs (vega's st.lk) alone means that his pressure is even better than it was before.

And that V-Trigger buff is actually legit.

Still not enough, how is he going to get in on sim to do such a combo if sim has better buttons and is faster now...Weeps....
Zangief doesn't have nearly that bad of a time as most claim against Dhalsim, it's 'just' a very nuanced match-up that a lot of players don't have the patience or mental fortitude for. The only real change (depending on which are likely to be final) that he has to be mindful of come Season 2, is the flame carpet no longer disappearing upon V-Reversal. Match-up dynamic will probably remain borderline identical outside of that - although lariat might be an ample threat now with it stuffing low hits - until official word comes out concerning the remaining Zangief tweaks.

So there's a Bison player who did a pretty comprehensive write up on the Bison changes but at the end, he also talks about some more general changes that I don't think we've seen mentioned.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1spcufj

~Meter gain nerf and damage nerf across the board
This doesn’t really affect Bison that much. If anything slower meter gain means more incentive to not spend meter on EX Scissors just to stay safe. Lower damage isn’t a big deal as Bison’s is still pretty good, and personally I don’t mind having to go for resets.
? faster V-Gauge build
Didn’t notice this personally but when someone pointed out that when I hit someone with a CC st.hk, I gained almost an entire pip of V-Gauge. This is pretty ridiculous for Bison if true.
So the meter gain nerf means that using a bar for an EX Reversal is now even more costly. Plus this is also a nerf to characters like Cammy,Chun,Guile, etc. Basically characters who tend to spam moves and normals.

That CC buff sounds great tbh. It would certainly benefit the characters who rely more on their V-meter than others. Personally I hope they vary it across character to character but we'll see how it goes.

Wallach

So there's a Bison player who did a pretty comprehensive write up on the Bison changes but at the end, he also talks about some more general changes that I don't think we've seen mentioned.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1spcufj

So the meter gain nerf means that using a bar for an EX Reversal is now even more costly. Plus this is also a nerf to characters like Cammy,Chun,Guile, etc. Basically characters who tend to spam moves and normals.

That CC buff sounds great tbh. It would certainly benefit the characters who rely more on their V-meter than others. Personally I hope they vary it across character to character but we'll see how it goes.

If V-Gauge gain off CCs went up, Bison is really going to eat off that. Right now one of his biggest struggles is building V-Gauge outside of getting decked. Increased walk speed will also open up more opportunities to land CCs in neutral (even if it is just his backwards walk speed, it'll make getting to optimal range on psycho axe to fish for outranged pokes).

On the other hand, what makes V-Trigger scary for Bison is EX meter, so there's that. I'd rather eat more outside of V-Trigger than in it, though, which is one of Bison's bigger issues overall.

Edit - Oh man the target combo is a real boy target combo now and a proper frame trap to boot. -8 on block and will only VT cancel into a cr.MP now but that is a dangerous buff. Should still be safe to VT cancel (+1 on block?) so expect to see this a lot more than you do currently even with the 3 extra frames of recovery.

Owensboro

Honestly my biggest issue with this is the fact that Capcom have commited to the yearly balance changes. I've brought this up before so I know how many fgc people have a differently oppinion on this. But I just think it's such a bad way of doing balance. Yes, it gives players a loooong ass time to figure out the meta and mastering their characters in that meta. However as a spectator it gets freaking dull when everything is Ryu, Nash and Chun-li. It also fucking sucks if you prefer one of the weaker character, or with this upcoming balance patch, if your character ends up being hit excessively hard by nerfs, and is subsequently left to rot for a year.

I think of it kind of more like a sports league. They have a system where you start out the year and earn points towards a year-end qualifier only tournament. Due to that, you can't really make constant changes throughout the year as it creates an un-even playing field throughout that one "season". Much like how major sports leagues (NFL, NBA, etc...) don't make rule changes in the middle of the season, even if certain teams abuse weird loopholes.

SmokeMaxX

TBH Sim SHOULD have an easy time against Gief. Obviously sucks for Gief, but if Sim can't keep Gief out, then how the hell does he keep a character with actual mobility out? lol
On the flipside, now once you knock Sim down, he actually has to guess correctly. I mean it's probably not gonna be 5-5, but that's how that matchup's designed. Plus your VT isn't worthless in the matchup.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1spcufj.
"there will be no changes from PSX to the release date of December 20th."

Are they sure about that? Ken has a cr.mk that's +2 on block that they apparently said will not be part of it, would be way too good.

who even walked as bison? everyone just used the cheap ass teleport.
I love when they do that and eat a fat combo. It's usually a nice counter-hit, too.

I love when they do that and eat a fat combo. It's usually a nice counter-hit, too.

And then they warp through your limb and land a throw.

As throws are weaker in this version, I've got less of a problem with Bison in general. Hopefully his changes make him more viable.

"there will be no changes from PSX to the release date of December 20th."

Are they sure about that? Ken has a cr.mk that's +2 on block that they apparently said will not be part of it, would be way too good.
I don't think it would be too bad if Ken did. The cr.mk doesn't really have that much range, it would still be punishable on v-skill cancel, V-Trigger cancel will always be good, and unless they changed it, even a point blank cr.mk still wouldn't be enough to be in throw range so that's less of an issue.

His cr.mp is already +1 oB and I believe it has more range than the cr.mk (perhaps I'm misremembering the range on it) and it's currently +4 oH as compared to the 0 oH of the cr.mk

Remains to be seen how heavy the difference is between oH and oB for the "new" cr.mk

Have they mentioned tuning down the input delays?

I always felt the reason Mika was strong was because the 8f made it tougher to react to her mixups and 50/50.

Top Bottom