• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V: Season 2 changes

Again, this is something people need to remember.

The PSX build MIGHT not be a finished one so it's not necessary that every single one of the changes is going to happen in the final patch.

Wait for the full changelog which should drop before 20th Dec (The patch itself drops on 20th Dec)

ElFly

Again, this is something people need to remember.

The PSX build MIGHT not be a finished one so it's not necessary that every single one of the changes is going to happen in the final patch.

Wait for the full changelog which should drop before 20th Dec (The patch itself drops on 20th Dec)

but maybe if we complain loudly they will actually realize they are fucking up?

it's not like they don't have an history of fucking zangief over

but maybe if we complain loudly they will actually realize they are fucking up?

it's not like they have an history of fucking zangief over
All we've heard for Gief is that his lariat is almost universally better. This does NOT mean that that's the only buff he's gotten.

Let's wait for the patch notes before calling Capcom a bunch of incompetent cunts because yelling for something now isn't going to change anything for release.

PSX build is final for now.
I don't imagine a lot of things would be changed from the PSX build to release, but it still would be nice to get an official confirmation.

holy shit, health regeneration being slower is a huuuuge Zangief nerf, if his V-Skill doesn't change

what the actual fuck

Zangief buffs must be crazy or they just finished killing him

I didn't even think about this. I hope his changes are worthwhile. Improved lariat is good but there needs to be way more

holy shit, health regeneration being slower is a huuuuge Zangief nerf, if his V-Skill doesn't change

what the actual fuck

Zangief buffs must be crazy or they just finished killing him

They finish killing him, unless they change his v-skill he's the most useless character in SFV..

ElFly

All we've heard for Gief is that his lariat is almost universally better. This does NOT mean that that's the only buff he's gotten.

Let's wait for the patch notes before calling Capcom a bunch of incompetent cunts because yelling for something now isn't going to change anything for release.

I don't imagine a lot of things would be changed from the PSX build to release, but it still would be nice to get an official confirmation.

this would not happen is these fuckers actually communicated what changes they are implementing

it's like they learned nothing from all their PR problems

they said the change list was coming up on sunday and instead we got a vague as fuck post

Shadoken

I haven't had time to play in about a week or so. Are these changes already in effect?

They pretty much killed Nash's dash and really hurt his mobility overall. They need to give him a faster walk speed to compensate.

Better recovery from V-Trigger is pointless if you're using it right to begin with.

Invincible frames on EX Scythe is the only good and useful thing they have done to Nash in this update.

Edit: I also appreciate that they finally realized that DPs should follow the same rules as other non-EX moves when it comes to meaties.

Haha no.. That one Nash buff moooore than makes up for those nerfs.

Forward Dash is still going to be unreactable if you aren't expecting it ( Which is how it should be used anyway ). This dash only has 8f of moving animation , making that 9f or even 10f is not going to suddenly make it easily reactable.
V trigger nerf - As long as his combos remain intact , I dont care. People shouldnt be using this as a random online mixup anyway.
V reversal nerf - A needed nerf , he cant have a invinc reversal and a escape at the same time. It would make some matchups impossible to win.
Backdash nerf - This one is bad since he needs it to create space , But I played the PSX build and did not notice a huge difference.

EX Sonic Scythe is now fully invincible startup
Having a REAL threat of a DP makes how people approach Nash Completely different. It is going to make it VERY hard to jump over fireballs. And also pressuring him will be harder. Coupled with his Meter Steal abilities , is going to keep him on top of the meter game all the time.

If he still has his Scythe -> Vtrigger , then that is going to make it even harder to pin him down. I think he will stay exactly where he is in Tier placements. While being less annoying for scrubby play and more rewarding for Solid players.

Nash never needed any buffs , he only lost to the ridiculously dumb top tiers above him. And they are all getting nerfed hard , So I think he might either move up or stay where he is while some other new crazy character takes over.

I wonder how Bison matchup will play since he can just store and throw Fireballs , that just sounds ridiculous. You cannot zone him at all then.

this would not happen is these fuckers actually communicated what changes they are implementing

it's like they learned nothing from all their PR problems

they said the change list was coming up on sunday and instead we got a vague as fuck post

They really need to do a better job with communicating, just come out and say these changes are not final, still a WIP... their silence is why they get hate...

They said there'd be a sneak peek of the changes to come. They never said full patch notes.

And I posted in another thread that patch notes normally don't come out until day of or a few days before the release of a patch.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Weaker Ryu? Good, hopefully this slows down the endless Ryu fighters

ZhaqCF0.jpg

ElFly

I wonder how much of a WIP the changes can be if we are around 10 days away from their launch...and the patch needs to go through psn cert or something

I guess they still an fidget around with the numbers and stuff but it cannot be too far away from the final changes, and then we are stuck with them for another year?

guess they could release them and try them for a couple of months to and issue a final balance patch for use in CPT 2017

They said there'd be a sneak peek of the changes to come. They never said full patch notes.

And I posted in another thread that patch notes normally don't come out until day of or a few days before the release of a patch.
The sneak peek already came.

And the update straight up says expect news in the coming weeks.

Although I can’t get into all the specific change details just yet, as that’s subject to our comprehensive 2017 season changelog post due in the coming weeks

I wonder how much of a WIP the changes can be if we are around 10 days away from their launch...and the patch needs to go through psn cert or something

I guess they still an fidget around with the numbers and stuff but it cannot be too far away from the final changes, and then we are stuck with them for another year?

guess they could release them and try them for a couple of months to and issue a final balance patch for use in CPT 2017

Did they say 100% the balance is Dec 20th along Akuma?

All I want is a good poking tool with Ken, hopefully we get the good c.mk, always felt his FB being so negative on block plus the bad c.mk was just overkill. Be interesting to see what sticks...

Was hoping for a Turbo 1 Turbo 2 option as well for fun '-) Come on Cap!

Did they say 100% the balance is Dec 20th along Akuma?
No, but it's in the wording.

The blog post says that these are the changes for the 2017 season. The 2017 season starts from 20th Dec because that's when the 2017 season pass' first character releases.

Also the build that includes the new character, also is the build that has the balance changes.

It hasn't been said explicitly but it's practically a lock.

All I want is a good poking tool with Ken, hopefully we get the good c.mk, always felt his FB being so negative on block plus the bad c.mk was just overkill. Be interesting to see what sticks...

Was hoping for a Turbo 1 Turbo 2 option as well for fun '-) Come on Cap!

His c. mp punch is good enough, considering it cancels into target combo. Get outta here.

Also, to people assuming this is the final balance update until December 2017:

I think we'll be getting another balance update before the CPT of 2017 starts. They are likely putting out this massive change so that they can gather player-wide feedback and make some adjustments. As combofiend said in the blog post, they have obvious goals they want to hit with season 2's gameplay. However, the finer balance changes are probably still up for consideration before the one last balance patch before CPT starts outright. I also imagine that we'll be getting at least 2 or 3 of the season 2 DLC roster by the time they CPT 2017 starts.

jett

D-Member
I wish for Gief buffs if only to see Snake Eyez be top tier again.

I can see why they did it though. St.hk was already godlike against characters with no 3-frame jab and the removal of invincible meterless DPs alone made that button 5 times better.

The removal of meterless reversals means that his frametraps are now even better so I see what direction they're going for. Still gonna wait for some more details before jumping to any conclusions about the character though.

At the expense of sounding like a newb, what is a "meterless reversal"?

vulva

I wish for Gief buffs if only to see Snake Eyez be top tier again.

A move that doesn't take any meter to use but has invulnerability to allow for you to interrupt/stop pressure.

A reversal means a move that's fully invincible in it's startup right until it becomes active. Meterless means that it doesn't cost any meter.

Ryu,Ken,Cammy and Necalli's DPs were fully invincible until they became active so they could be used as almost a get out of jail free card on their wakeup, or in between attacks of the enemy.

This gave them a serious advantage because simply the threat of a meterless reversal can get their opponent to give them more respect and cease on an opportunity to attack.

The new change makes it so that if you want your reversal move to be truly invincible, you HAVE to spend meter. They already did this with Guile, Juri,Urien and Ibuki but are now transferring this to the rest of the cast.

Inversely, Reversals that aren't truly invincible will also no longer get you a CC if you guess and block it correctly. That is only reserved for the invincible reversals like Chun-Li's EX Spinning Bird Kick, or from all EX DPs from now on.

kirblar

Also, to people assuming this is the final balance update until December 2017:

I think we'll be getting another balance update before the CPT of 2017 starts. They are likely putting out this massive change so that they can gather player-wide feedback and make some adjustments. As combofiend said in the blog post, they have obvious goals they want to hit with season 2's gameplay. However, the finer balance changes are probably still up for consideration before the one last balance patch before CPT starts outright. I also imagine that we'll be getting at least 2 or 3 of the season 2 DLC roster by the time they CPT 2017 starts.
Yeah, I hope this is what they're doing as well.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
So you think they drop another balance patch just before the Pro Tour starts? That doesn't sound like a good idea...

His c. mp punch is good enough, considering it cancels into target combo. Get outta here.
you have to be right in the opponents face for it cancel into target combo, it will whiff.

And mostly, I'm talking about a longer range poke. Even if I can't cancel into FB, I think his c.mk is overly weak.

Also, what is the point of Ken's lp DP besides combo sequences?

Edzi

you have to be right in the opponents face for it cancel into target combo, it will whiff.

And mostly, I'm talking about a longer range poke. Even if I can't cancel into FB, I think his c.mk is overly weak.

Also, what is the point of Ken's lp DP besides combo sequences?

Don't LP DPs stop badly timed crossup attempts and neutral jumps?

FinKL

Isn't the change to white life a direct result of the idea that they want you to make "deliberate" decisions. Instead of taking white damage, they want you to space normals correctly and punish OR even throw out your normals to get the counter hit before the opponent's normals make contact with you. At least, that's how I view it.

meerak

So you think they drop another balance patch just before the Pro Tour starts? That doesn't sound like a good idea...

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable idea. Beginning of the year is the best time for changes.

Word points to the major patch landing the 20th. Even if we say some stuff will come later, they patched shit DURING the CPT, so what exactly do you see as the problem here? Better question - when do you want the patch exactly? What other time is there then between the end of CPT and before the start of CPT?

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable idea. Beginning of the year is the best time for changes.

Word points to the major patch landing the 20th. Even if we say some stuff will come later, they patched shit DURING the CPT, so what exactly do you see as the problem here? Better question - when do you want the patch exactly? What other time is there then between the end of CPT and before the start of CPT?
I personally want a post EVO patch and a post Capcom Cup patch. This year was a bit of an outlier since it was the game's first year so people were still learning and the fact that the reduction in frame lag was a legitimate thing.

Also the shit that they patches were bugs or completely unintended sideeffects. They weren't balance updates per se.

Also the OP should be updated to show that the final changes have yet to be revealed.

It shouldn't take a year to figure out that IAL and air tatsu's that have lower body invulnerability is pretty fucking cheap and needs some adjustment lol. So yeah, I'm hoping for like a mid season balance patch should there be another one of those next year.

jett

D-Member
"Get out of jail" when used right moves that cost no meter.

Think SFIV DPs

A move that doesn't take any meter to use but has invulnerability to allow for you to interrupt/stop pressure.

A reversal means a move that's fully invincible in it's startup right until it becomes active. Meterless means that it doesn't cost any meter.

Ryu,Ken,Cammy and Necalli's DPs were fully invincible until they became active so they could be used as almost a get out of jail free card on their wakeup, or in between attacks of the enemy.

This gave them a serious advantage because simply the threat of a meterless reversal can get their opponent to give them more respect and cease on an opportunity to attack.

The new change makes it so that if you want your reversal move to be truly invincible, you HAVE to spend meter. They already did this with Guile, Juri,Urien and Ibuki but are now transferring this to the rest of the cast.

Inversely, Reversals that aren't truly invincible will also no longer get you a CC if you guess and block it correctly. That is only reserved for the invincible reversals like Chun-Li's EX Spinning Bird Kick, or from all EX DPs from now on.

I see, thanks, didn't know that bit of lingo.

rashid is the alex of this game. capcom trying to push him in the campaign but nobody cares. it doesn't help that his design is lame and nowhere as cool as sf3 Alex ;)
Dunno if they're really trying to push him when he barely gets any costumes or changes. I feel like they just had to use him for the story. He is lame tho

Renekton

rashid is the alex of this game. capcom trying to push him in the campaign but nobody cares. it doesn't help that his design is lame and nowhere as cool as sf3 Alex ;)
Rashid is not SFV frontman.

The only reason he gets so much story mode airtime is because he's the audience surrogate straight man. He sounds like the only sane person in the whole cast.

Haha no.. That one Nash buff moooore than makes up for those nerfs.

Forward Dash is still going to be unreactable if you aren't expecting it ( Which is how it should be used anyway ). This dash only has 8f of moving animation , making that 9f or even 10f is not going to suddenly make it easily reactable.
V trigger nerf - As long as his combos remain intact , I dont care. People shouldnt be using this as a random online mixup anyway.
V reversal nerf - A needed nerf , he cant have a invinc reversal and a escape at the same time. It would make some matchups impossible to win.
Backdash nerf - This one is bad since he needs it to create space , But I played the PSX build and did not notice a huge difference.

EX Sonic Scythe is now fully invincible startup
Having a REAL threat of a DP makes how people approach Nash Completely different. It is going to make it VERY hard to jump over fireballs. And also pressuring him will be harder. Coupled with his Meter Steal abilities , is going to keep him on top of the meter game all the time.

If he still has his Scythe -> Vtrigger , then that is going to make it even harder to pin him down. I think he will stay exactly where he is in Tier placements. While being less annoying for scrubby play and more rewarding for Solid players.

Nash never needed any buffs , he only lost to the ridiculously dumb top tiers above him. And they are all getting nerfed hard , So I think he might either move up or stay where he is while some other new crazy character takes over.

I wonder how Bison matchup will play since he can just store and throw Fireballs , that just sounds ridiculous. You cannot zone him at all then.

I would agree with this if Nash V-Reversal had invincible frames on startup. His V-Reversal is very vulnerable and any decent player can stuff it at both ends (start up or recovery) for a throw back into the corner, every time. Making it worse on recovery ensures it's a move that should and will be forgotten.

Nash severely needed at least one decent defensive attack move and since it's tied down by meter EX,SS, he's now only less crippled in that department, imo. It's not going to be a "get out of pressure free anytime" ticket and we all know, just like with all DPs, it will be as much of a detriment as it will be an asset.

kunonabi

Rashid is not SFV frontman.

The only reason he gets so much story mode airtime is because he's the audience surrogate straight man. He sounds like the only sane person in the whole cast.

Yeah he is. His storyline has all the emotional payoff. The rest of the cast barely matter to the main narrative for the most part.

Top Bottom