• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V: Season 2 changes

Westlo

Yeah he is. His storyline has all the emotional payoff. The rest of the cast barely matter to the main narrative for the most part.

The amount of people who downloaded let alone played the entire story mode is fuck all to all the people who've seen necalli get pushed....

Also helps that necalli is tournament relevant

Faster v-trigger building? I would definitely like to see that. Slower gray life recovery could be really interesting. Reminds me of sfa3 guard breaking setups, just with your health bar

I see ken's face didn't get a buff =/

Ryu's spiritual journey and Nash's revenge subplots.

Those subplots are definitely there, but there's no real emotional payoff to either of them. Ryu's entire journey happens off screen, and Nash's story ends in the most hilariously anticlimactic way possible. Rashid was the only character who had a strong motivation that drove his story, was involved though out, and had a satisfying emotional payoff. Nobody is saying that none of the other characters mattere, but if you had to pick one out as the protagonist, it's totally Rashid.

Rashid is not SFV frontman.

The only reason he gets so much story mode airtime is because he's the audience surrogate straight man. He sounds like the only sane person in the whole cast.

It also helps him and FANG stole the show.

Two of the best characters the series has had in decades and not enough know.

I think the build shown off at PSX is NOT the final build. It's not the best evidence in the world but here it is.

Here is a 20 min video of Fourwude's Akuma against various opponents

The point I've linked to, Akuma tries to jump at Zangief and Gief uses the Lariat as an AA but Akuma does a back recovery when he lands.

https://youtu.be/EFSuGM9VS7A?t=4m48s

One of the main points about Gief's buffs was that the enemy can't backrecover after the Lariat so this is making me think that maybe the PSX build isn't final. Either that or some of the information Ultradavid has given us is wrong.

Veal

I'm actually liking the white health change the more I think about it. If they're going to nerf damage across the board while also buff the neutral, then the white health will play a much bigger role. I welcome the change.

Edgeward

The Claw changes sound nice. Sucks ex roll is slower, gonna make harder to get in on fireball chars but the CC changes are a welcome change. I had hoped they made his claw slice move a more reliable anti air because while non-claw cr hp is good, when it claw mode his options are not great.

oof, those Mika nerfs tho. She's like Alpha 3 bottom tier status

The Claw changes sound nice. Sucks ex roll is slower, gonna make harder to get in on fireball chars but the CC changes are a welcome change. I had hoped they made his claw slice move a more reliable anti air because while non-claw cr hp is good, when it claw mode his options are not great.

oof, those Mika nerfs tho. She's like Alpha 3 bottom tier status

No she's not lol. She's still great at what she does, she just can't get you to the corner as easily as before. When she does get you to the corner, she's still just as scary as before.

Birdie changes wooooo

St. HP being a CC means it's gonna be used far more. DF HP got nerfed to be punishable, not sure how I feel about that.

Nothing I really wanted - hopefully the patch notes are out soon.

Renekton

People are hating on Rashid in here? Really?

The people I play with love him. When I play locally with friends and family they gravitate towards him. I don't play him but c'mon... dude is rad.
He's certainly much more interesting than Tekken's Shaheen.

kirblar

Yeah he is. His storyline has all the emotional payoff. The rest of the cast barely matter to the main narrative for the most part.
They did a series of figures recently that was Ryu, Chun, Rashid and Karin. The latter two are very much the "Alex"es of this game.

Shadic7700

People are hating on Rashid in here? Really?

The people I play with love him. When I play locally with friends and family they gravitate towards him. I don't play him but c'mon... dude is rad.
I know right design, theme, voice (Eng, Jpn), even his moves are all awesome, unique, and badass his role in the story mode and climax battle vs Fang got me hype to no end! Just wish they used his theme in that last fight :-(

SmokeMaxX

Funny how much crow people have been eating in regards to Mika. Up until Capcom Cup people have still been saying she sucks. Top players' opinions on Twitter changed after Du won lol. Mika isn't as good as she was, but she'll be fine.

Man, I know that everyone who was reporting changes from PSX probably knows what they're talking about, but how exactly do people figure out single frame changes to the frame data of moves just by eyeballing them, especially in an environment as chaotic as a trade show?

Vice

Man, I know that everyone who was reporting changes from PSX probably knows what they're talking about, but how exactly do people figure out single frame changes to the frame data of moves just by eyeballing them, especially in an environment as chaotic as a trade show?

Try out an old frame trap/blockstring.

Some they probably hear explicitly from Capcom people. some they figure out through experimentation and some they figure out through knowledge of the moves.

Like LPN knew that Alex's Lariat is +6 oH because it now combos into st.mp and st.mp is 6-frames so it's an easy deduction.

Try out an old frame trap/blockstring.

Some they probably hear explicitly from Capcom people. some they figure out through experimentation and some they figure out through knowledge of the moves.

Like LPN knew that Alex's Lariat is +6 oH because it now combos into st.mp and st.mp is 6-frames so it's an easy deduction.

Ok, that makes sense. I have a hard enough time with frame data as it is, so a lot of this stuff goes over my head anyway.

Birdie's s.Fierce causes a CC now? That sounds great, because that's a good button.

I'll wait for the patch notes to see what else he gets. I'm eager to see it all!

Seiniyta

Nothing for Rashid? Boring.

I'm not sure he needs anything on his own. Rashid is a grey meter monster that will benefit immensely from the slower grey health regen. It wouldn't surprise me that Rashid ends up being one of the more powerful in the cast after the patch even if he would remain 100% unchanged because of the changes other characters got.

Am I alone in thinking that Critical Arts in general recover way too quickly at the moment? Sometimes it feels like there isn't any punishment for completely whiffing one in more cases than I'd like.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It's very much based on the character. Like Ryu's recovers pretty quickly for being a fireball. FANG's is actually punishable, but you need to know how. But most of the cast's CAs recover in a way that you can hit them with a big combo for free. Which is what it should be like, I think.

Saikyo

-No more invisible wall
-Changes to slide
-Cant change side with clap
-Clap worse on defense
-More whiff time with special grab

Why they dont just delete Mika from the game then haha.

Tecl0n

Urien buff, we in boys. (Also, i'm going back to FANG vtrigger shenaningans + that grey health change is gamechanger, poor gief tho)

ElFly

What would they actually need to do to make Gief competitive? This doesn't seem like enough.

Good greenhand, snake eyes hinted he knew it was in but we haven't heard other sources

on top of that, taking half damage during V-skill

maybe allowing easier comboing into the initial V-trigger activation but IMHO that'd be broken, just as comboing EX SPDs like in the beta would be broken (but I've seen people ask for both)

imho he needs better frame data/hitboxes and a faster dash if they don't give him green hand, and a better working RBG

So is there any chance of season 2 getting big system changes similar to sf4 to super sf4?

I think not. maybe for S3 they will add selectable V-trigger/V-skill/Critical Art but right now it looks like balancing

So is there any chance of season 2 getting big system changes similar to sf4 to super sf4?

I doubt it. I think changing up the current meta right now is good and with addition of new characters there will be some good variance over the next year and when Season 3 comes thats when they could hit us with like a Super patch that adds in things like selectable vtrigger and CAs

What would they actually need to do to make Gief competitive? This doesn't seem like enough.

I think if they added 3 hits on his normal vskill he could handle a lot more. I personally dont want to see green hand return because its very predictable and they would have to nerf his SPD range and recovery.

Am I alone in thinking that Critical Arts in general recover way too quickly at the moment? Sometimes it feels like there isn't any punishment for completely whiffing one in more cases than I'd like.

Nah, unless they do it from like a full screen away (and it keeps or puts them at that distance), then generally, whether whiff or block, I find practically zero problems punishing them. A good half of the characters CA animation is more than long enough to practically set a proper plan of punitive action on them if they whiff from anywhere outside of full screen. Of course, how you punish varies per character and your resources available at the time.

ElFly

I doubt it. I think changing up the current meta right now is good and with addition of new characters there will be some good variance over the next year and when Season 3 comes thats when they could hit us with like a Super patch that adds in things like selectable vtrigger and CAs

I think if they added 3 hits on his normal vskill he could handle a lot more. I personally dont want to see green hand return because its very predictable and they would have to nerf his SPD range and recovery.

yeah dunno if I like GH returning. it'd need to be balanced somehow so you cannot SPD easily afterwards so it either has to push people away too much -self defeating- knock down -which brings a different set of problems- or be -1 or -2 on hit -which means getting in but blocking immediately-

but he will need _something_ against improved Dhalsim

I wish the input for the v-skill punch would be easier. maybe like Akuma's. Many times I've released the button only to have nothing come out, and it'd help if you could punch without waiting the requisite time so you could punish more things; Ryu and Akuma seem to get a much better deal out of their parries -tho admittedly Ryu's is harder to land- or maybe just a shorter time until the punch comes out if doing it on command is too much

Top Bottom