• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strong (not sexualised) female characters in this generation?

jambo

kevinski said:
Alyx Vance (HL2)

BiQSW.jpg

Mephala said:
Ozma
A Templar Commando (or Knight Commander), a highly ranked knight in the game. She is also the fastest character with one of the best unique classes who can access one of the best equipment sets.
lYAJQ.png

t4Bix.jpg

So glad they made her recruit-able.

I love her dialogue with the other Dark Knights, so much hatred.

JTran2003 said:
Who is this?

Shanoa.

The lead protagonist of Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia.

Mephala

Fimbulvetr said:
So glad they made her recruit-able.

I love her dialogue with the other Dark Knights, so much hatred.

YES! I have screenies of one of them, though they were taken on different playthroughs hence the different weathers. Ozma always knows how to annoy the other Dark Knights. :)

BDyAf.png
Jh0Qe.png

Makoto

I would have to agree with the Valkyria Chronicles picks. In fact, I think all of the main female characters of Valkyria Chronicles are strong with the exception of Alicia who does start out pretty strong but then
gets more fragile emotionally despite her literally getting stronger in the latter portion of the story.
I do think the writing of the female characters deserves praise. In the hands of another writer, there would have undoubtedly been a super-masculine I'm-as-strong-as-the-dudes character in there, especially since it takes place during a war.

What is the definition of non sexualised female characters?

As far as I can tell it is:

A: Dirty, dirty pillows fully concealed for the sake of propriety.
B: Perfect skin and facial features partially obscured by dried blood and dirt or something.

Korigama

vidal said:
I would have to agree with the Valkyria Chronicles picks. In fact, I think all of the main female characters of Valkyria Chronicles are strong with the exception of Alicia who does start out pretty strong but then
gets more fragile emotionally despite her literally getting stronger in the latter portion of the story.
I do think the writing of the female characters deserves praise. In the hands of another writer, there would have undoubtedly been a super-masculine I'm-as-strong-as-the-dudes character in there, especially since it takes place during a war.
I disagree with not counting Alicia. If anything, it's rather understandable that
having so many in her country suddenly look to her specifically as some sort of savior after a power she never asked for is awakened within her would make her feel pressured. I see that uncertainty as something that further humanized her, not something that made her weak; being strong does not mean being completely impervious emotionally.
In truth, I believe how that was ultimately resolved was one of the better aspects of the game's story. However, I cannot say the same about Selvaria, whom I feel Sega wasted by
having her feel obligated to follow Maximillian's order to sacrifice herself anyway, in spite of it being made abundantly clear that he cared absolutely nothing about her.

More Fun To Compute said:
What is the definition of non sexualised female characters?

As far as I can tell it is:

A: Dirty, dirty pillows fully concealed for the sake of propriety.
B: Perfect skin and facial features partially obscured by dried blood and dirt or something.
C: Mannish. This is the ideal which women should aspire towards.

Kinyou

Sn4ke_911 said:
http://s3.gamefreaks.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Catwoman_Risky_f3.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
I see your Catwoman and raise you Black Cat from Spiderman: Edge of Time

[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/28rl7c2.jpg

DragonGirl said:
Irrelevant. Women can be as sexist towards other women as men are, and if you happen to be working in a male dominated industry with all of the pressures that implies, chances are you're going to cater to those whims. A woman's involvement with the design of Bayonetta makes no difference to the character being a fetish for guys who like their fu** puppets actiony.

Plus, women in Japan view sex roles very differently from women in many Western countries.

Top Bottom