• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strong (not sexualised) female characters in this generation?

Orayn said:
I'm not entirely understanding the "not sexualized" requirement. Does it mean that the character isn't treated as a sex object, or that the character shows no sexuality of any kind?

Yeah, this is what I'd like to know too. Being "sexualized" isn't necessarily a negative or exploitative thing, depending on the game or character and context.

Mechazawa

The problem with this thread is that even if a lot of female characters are heavily sexualized, most of the ones that pop into your head are "strong" to some capacity or another.

Hence, you still get cases where people are posting stuff like Sheva, who had some very clear time and effort put into her butt sway animation but is a "strong" female.

Jerk

Banned
Orayn said:
I'm not entirely understanding the "not sexualized" requirement. Does it mean that the character isn't treated as a sex object, or that the character shows no sexuality of any kind?

Same here. Because being 'sexy' or having an identifiable sense of sexuality are not in themselves a bad thing.

The women in Gears, Shinobu and a couple of others are very good examples of how misguided the 'not sexualized' criteria is.

With that said, there are obvious limits...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
AppleMIX said:
And she's wearing a tang top, which normal women wear all the fucking time.

Try again.

Mhm. They made the changes to her to show off skin. Also: normal women wear swimsuits, does that then make the women of DOA not sexualized? Silly.

Gomu Gomu

Rickenslacker said:
Oh how could I forget? Kat from Halo: Reach.

cWns5.jpg
She has a super sexy dance though
pokerface-kat-o.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvJGQRYOYmg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Mechazawa said:
The problem with this thread is that even if a lot of female characters are heavily sexualized, most of the ones that pop into your head are "strong" to some capacity or another.

Hence, you still get cases where people are posting stuff like Sheva, who had some very clear time and effort put into her butt sway animation but is a "strong" female.

Definitely. She's super sexualized.

Orayn

BigJiantRobut said:
Yeah, this is what I'd like to know too. Being "sexualized" isn't necessarily a negative or exploitative thing, depending on the game or character and context.
Yeah, I mean, what if a character is well written and fleshed out within the context of the story, but is also used for fanservice? Does that somehow invalidate everything else?
Sunflower said:
Mhm. They made the changes to her to show off skin. Also: normal women wear swimsuits, does that then make the women of DOA not sexualized? Silly.
Valve made changes to Chell's appearance to show the passage of time and represent how she's more free in Portal 2 than in the original.

Jerk

Banned
I would much rather a topic wherein we discuss good female character design, but I suppose that would necessitate I create another thread for that.

And I am lazy...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Orayn said:
Yeah, I mean, what if a character is well written and fleshed out within the context of the story, but is also used for fanservice? Does that somehow invalidate everything else?

If used for fanservice, yes, that'd invalidate them from being strong -and- sexualized. Gotta be both.

Kinyou

Sunflower said:
Alyx is there strictly for eye candy and the absolutely unrealistic 'romance' that she provides players.
But- but women like men who can listen for once in a while :*(

Glass Rebel

Sunflower said:

You're comparing promotional artwork to a game where you can dress up perfectly built and beautiful women, make them do poses and photograph them from every angle?

Not that I think Chell should be included in this thread, she's barely a character, but that's what you think is oversexualized?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Glass Rebel said:
You're comparing promotional artwork to a game where you can dress up perfectly built and beautiful women, make them do poses and photograph them from every angle?

Not that I think Chell should be included in this thread, she's barely a character, but that's what you think is oversexualized?

Not oversexualized, but definitely sexualized. There's a huge difference between, say, Tina from DOA and Chell from a visual standpoint and outfits, but both are made to appeal to loins.

Sunflower said:
Not oversexualized, but definitely sexualized. There's a huge difference between, say, Tina from DOA and Chell from a visual standpoint and outfits, but both are made to appeal to loins.

What does "sexualized" even mean? Are we only allowed to post Amish women or something?

I mean, Bayonetta is absolutely a sexed-up character, and that game operates from and for the male gaze, but I don't think that invalidates her as a strong female character.

Jerk

Banned
Sunflower said:
Definitely. She's super sexualized.

Ehh.

DLC aside, I would not say 'super.'

The level she is sexualized begins AND ends at her character design. Not to mention that she is evenly matched with her male counterpart in terms of design goals.

With that said, Sheva would not be a strong character even if she looked like Margaret Thatcher; there is absolutely no substance to her.

AppleMIX

Sunflower said:

Normal women don't fight in bikinis on the top of mountains.

Red

Sunflower said:
People posting Chell are completely mistaken. Along with Alyx Vance, Selvaria from Valkyria Chronicles, and many more are extremely sexualized.
I could be missing something, but full body orange jump suits don't really do it for me.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Jerk said:
With that said, Sheva would not be a strong character even if she looked like Margaret Thatcher; there is absolutely no substance to her.

I agree, one of the reasons Chell shouldn't be in here anyway, despite her looks!

Alma from the FEAR series.

charsace

Jerk said:
Same here. Because being 'sexy' or having an identifiable sense of sexuality are not in themselves a bad thing.

The women in Gears, Shinobu and a couple of others are very good examples of how misguided the 'not sexualized' criteria is.

With that said, there are obvious limits...
They aren't a bad thing. You can tell Anya is in a relationship with Marcus in Gears, but she isn't all flirty with him or saying things to boost the player's ego. She also doesn't move like she's working a run way are do feminine looking acrobatics that you see other female characters do. Compare that to Lightning who does most of those things and is basically a tsundere character. Or Alyx whose sole purpose is to boost the player's ego.

Glass Rebel

Sunflower said:

Would you have said the same if that had been her design from the beginning or are you just taking her look in P1 as the baseline? Because honestly, this doesn't look sexualized at all to me:

portal_2_chell_large.1298515317.jpg

keep

Bayonetta is the queen of gays with her camp, OTT sexuality - I don't think she's wank fodder like the DOA girls.

Also, making a girl wear "skimpy" clothes does not equal "sexualization". If that is the case then Chris Redfield is sexualised to hell and back in RE5 as much as Sheva is (the bulging biceps, the tight clothing, the swagger walking, the alternative costume straight out of a gay fetish sex club night).

The drunken sniper / ranger / whatever she is from New Vegas is pretty good too.

This generation has actually been good for female characters come to think of it.

Complistic

Glass Rebel said:
Would you have said the same if that had been her design from the beginning or are you just taking her look in P1 as the baseline? Because honestly, this doesn't look sexualized at all to me:

I can see her boobs. She's sexualized.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
keep said:
Bayonetta is the queen of gays with her camp, OTT sexuality - I don't think she's wank fodder like the DOA girls.

Also, making a girl wear "skimpy" clothes does not equal "sexualization". If that is the case then Chris Redfield is sexualised to hell and back in RE5 as much as Sheva is (the bulging biceps, the tight clothing, the swagger walking, the alternative costume straight out of a gay fetish sex club night).

But he is sexualized to a huge degree.

Jerk

Banned
charsace said:
They aren't a bad thing. You can tell Anya is in a relationship with Marcus in Gears, but she isn't all flirty with him or saying things to boost the player's ego. She also doesn't move like she's working a run way are do feminine looking acrobatics that you see other female characters do. Compare that to Lightning who does most of those things and is basically a tsundere character. Or Alyx whose sole purpose is to boost the player's ego.

But that does not make her a worse or weaker (in fact, she is a much better written character than the Anya). Also, I very much dispute the notion that Alyx only exists to boost ego.

Chloe

2ecn792.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Elena, sure, but Chloe? Game begins with her and Nathan Drake having sex... nothing wrong with that, but her sexuality seems like a major focus of the character.

Red

keep said:

He is. He's meant to represent a male fantasy.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think part of the problem with this thread is a lot of people think someone who doesn't dress like a slut = not sexualized. It isn't that simple.

Jerk

Banned
Sunflower said:
I think part of the problem with this thread is a lot of people think someone who doesn't dress like a slut = not sexualized. It isn't that simple.

The bigger problem is a misunderstanding of what it means to be sexualized and whether or not it is inherently a bad thing.

Let's face it. Females in games are always there as a side attraction to male protagonists or as attractions themselves. Not to mention any female character has been sexualized by a species of nerd at a given point in time.

ivysaur12

Banned
Sunflower said:

Yup. Also, a woman being ass kicking doesn't make her a "strong female character."

I think what people mean by "strong" is three dimensional and not just there for some user's fantasy.

yeah, the new lara croft seems to be the opposite of strong. i know that she's been pierced through the gut in the video, but the developers are really keen on talking about how vulnerable she is, to a really creepy degree. even though she wore skimpy clothes in legends/anniversary/underworld, she at least talked with intelligence and knew a lot about ancient cultures. this new lara is gonna set female characters back once again, i predict.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
The Albatross said:
Chloe

http://oi55.tinypic.com/2ecn792.jpg[/IMG

Elena, sure, but Chloe? Game begins with her and Nathan Drake having sex... nothing wrong with that, but her sexuality seems like a major focus of the character.[/QUOTE]
I disagree, when I say sexualised I mean characters like DOA or Bayonetta.

Top Bottom