• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stupid Questions |OT| of questions that don't deserve their own threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toppot

How do i visualize a thread stats? Like the list of who posted more times in a thread etc..

On the main section (Gaming, Community or Off Topic) click on the number in the replies column.

Alternatively change the thread number at the end of the link below to the number of the thread you want.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=498191

(You can find the thread number by going to the first page of the thread, it is the t=????????? at the end of the URL)

trickstar

looking for a video of a guy who buys a computer takes it home as he unpacks it, there's a new being advertised on TV, so he drives back to the store and buys the new model.

when driving home there's a newer model being advertised on the radio.

Can anyone help me find a couple videos I think I've seen linked here? One was like a speed drawing of Homer Simpson in MSPaint, it was totally terrible and was set to the Simpsons theme played so loud it distorted.

The other used some kind of weird, outdated CGI, I think it also had some Simpsons characters (and a few others), and seemed to diagram a bunch of funky fictional sex positions in a Lawnmower Man-esque gridded room.

Haunted

Can anyone here translate what it says on these?

QC6yB.jpg
JUt3k.jpg

Or alternatively direct me to a resource where I might be able to look this up, have no idea where to ask. >_>

Haunted

looking for a video of a guy who buys a computer takes it home as he unpacks it, there's a new being advertised on TV, so he drives back to the store and buys the new model.

when driving home there's a newer model being advertised on the radio.
I know exactly which video you're talking about. Can't find it either, terrible feeling. >_>

Don't think I ever saw an answer to this earlier, but now I have more specifics. If I'm buying a used CPU, a bit of minor OCing by the original user shouldn't be a huge issue right? From what I understand, a CPU either works or it doesn't; if you screw it up through OCing, it'll be pretty much fried. The user OCed it from stock 3.0GHz to 3.2GHz for less than a year. I'd probably plan to do the same or perhaps a little higher.
That'd be a great question for the "build your own PC" thread over in gaming, lots of knowledgeable tech people there. That said, just overclocking via clock speed (and not voltage) will not decrease the lifespan of the CPU, so you're good to go.

Lirlond

Can anyone here translate what it says on these?

Or alternatively direct me to a resource where I might be able to look this up, have no idea where to ask. >_>

If no one translates them here, I'd download a Japanese(?) OCR program, then run that through an online translator. Won't be perfect but it'll be something.

Haunted

If no one translates them here, I'd download a Japanese(?) OCR program, then run that through an online translator. Won't be perfect but it'll be something.
Thanks for the tip. I've tried an OCR program online and a Kanji recognising program on Android, both to no avail so far.

Aside from expensive software (and it's not that important), I'd say you can't beat good ol' human knowledge with this stuff. Here's hoping someone from jGAF reads this thread. ^^ (though the gold on red looks more Chinese to me but what do I know).

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Anybody that knows boats:

In old timey cartoons and comics and probably movies and stuff whenever someone is sneaking around on the deck of a boat/ship sometimes they will hide in a big, open, bent pipe or tube that has a man-sized opening in it and looks like it leads down into the hull of the ship. What are those big tubes called and what function do they serve?

Haunted

Anybody that knows boats:

In old timey cartoons and comics and probably movies and stuff whenever someone is sneaking around on the deck of a boat/ship sometimes they will hide in a big, open, bent pipe or tube that has a man-sized opening in it and looks like it leads down into the hull of the ship. What are those big tubes called and what function do they serve?
They're the entries to the air ventilation shafts running along inside bigger ships. The bent part on top is called a cowl and it's connected to the ventilator shafts below.

cowl-ventilators.jpg

Chuckl3s

Anyone know the extension (or a good one) that downloads from youtube? I remember seeing a thread about it but can't find it.

bluehat9

So Chrome stops saving my passwords and I have to sign into any site when I start it up after shutting down. The box to save this is checked under settings, is there any workaround to get it working or is it just whatever version I am running that's broken?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
They're the entries to the air ventilation shafts running along inside bigger ships. The bent part on top is called a cowl and it's connected to the ventilator shafts below.

http://www.generalcargoship.com/cowl-ventilators.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Ok thanks! I was hoping they had some sort of catchy, obscure maritime name I could call them, but helpful info regardless.

rpmurphy

Hey guys, I have some trouble with navigating Amazon's site. I want to contact Amazon about a package that never arrived (because of the shipping company losing it) for an order to get a refund or replacement, so from where do I do that? I see actions from my order list, but I don't know if any of these are the one I'm supposed to go to: "Return or Replace Items", "Leave Seller Feedback", or "Leave Packaging Feedback".

The "Return or Replace Items" option leads me to another page but the dropdown for the list of reasons don't have an option for the package never arriving.

Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind, after some digging I found where to do it. Amazon CSRs are awesome, by the way.

Collete

Are people allowed to change their usernames now?
I could have sworn someone did, and when I clicked their name, it came up with a different username.

Are people allowed to change their usernames now?
I could have sworn someone did, and when I clicked their name, it came up with a different username.

You've always been allowed name changes. PM a mod and they'll more than likely do it unless you constantly try to change your username.

Pachimari

Hmm, so I bought the Skyfall song through iTunes on my iPhone but when I go look at it in the iTunes Store on my iPad Mini, it says "Purchased" at the album but lists the price at the individual song, and when I click on that it says "Buy Song".

What should I do?

cbox

If I suddenly cut out 95% of the fats in my diet, will this do anything for excess fat? I exercise regularly, but clearly not hard enough.

Depends on the fats. Do you drink a lot of cola, or sugary drinks? Simple carbs like white bread and sugar are what you need to cut.

Depends on the fats. Do you drink a lot of cola, or sugary drinks? Simple carbs like white bread and sugar are what you need to cut.

Don't drink any soda, I have a teaspoon of sugar with every cappuccino (3 a day), and normally drink a glass of average supermarket juice (think which might have a bit of added sugar.

2 slices of white break in my lunch sammich. Normally 1 cup of rice for dinner, or potatoes.

Is that bad?

Baconbitz

Banned
Posted in the tech support thread but I hope I get an answer here. Can’t find my Verizon Wireless non smart phone. Any FREE way to track it’s location?

Mars

Banned
Alright, so don't worry about why or whatever, but I want to buy a .kg (Kyrgyzstan) domain name. It would be my personal website, and I'd like to be able to put up whatever the hell I want (nothing crazy, don't worry), would the fact that it is a Kyrgyzstan domain name put any restrictions (or even dangers) on my website?

LiQuid!

I have: a 35x42 BMP that I drew in MS Paint

I want: to make it bigger without losing its pixelyness. When I resize it in Photoshop it smooths out/compresses the image and it loses it's blocky/pixel sharpness. I want it to look like it looks when zoomed in in Photoshop.

What method do I use in PS to enlarge it?

Photoshop recommends the Bicubic Smoother for enlargements. Use Nearest Neighbor instead if you want to preserve the blockiness. Of course, you can't magically add information that isn't there and all interpolation algorithms will add some kind of annoying artifact to the image.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
For cleaning thermal paste off a CPU and the bottom of a heat sink, is rubbing alcohol sufficient or should I really splurge on thermal paste cleaner?

LiQuid!

Photoshop recommends the Bicubic Smoother for enlargements. Use Nearest Neighbor instead if you want to preserve the blockiness. Of course, you can't magically add information that isn't there and all interpolation algorithms will add some kind of annoying artifact to the image.

Hmm, tried and it just made it look like a new kind of blocky.

I've found what I consider an impractical workaround which is to just zoom in to my desired size and use prntscrn and repasting it in from my clipboard... It actually worked but that can't possibly be the best way to blow up a bitmap without jeopardizing its blockiness, can it?

t-ramp

For cleaning thermal paste off a CPU and the bottom of a heat sink, is rubbing alcohol sufficient or should I really splurge on thermal paste cleaner?
Rubbing alcohol is fine. 90%+ is recommended, but I think that's for peace of mind more than anything.

Hmm, tried and it just made it look like a new kind of blocky.

I've found what I consider an impractical workaround which is to just zoom in to my desired size and use prntscrn and repasting it in from my clipboard... It actually worked but that can't possibly be the best way to blow up a bitmap without jeopardizing its blockiness, can it?

I don't know. To the left is 4X zoom, to the right is 4X nearest neighbor enlargement. The image quality is slightly worse due to compression artifacts in the left half, but otherwise they seem pretty similar to me.

ib4RBVvkgZOij.png

LiQuid!

I don't know. To the left is 4X zoom, to the right is 4X nearest neighbor enlargement. The image quality is slightly worse due to compression artifacts in the left half, but otherwise they seem pretty similar to me.

http://i.minus.com/ib4RBVvkgZOij.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
Yeah, but you're blowing up a PNG of an actual photograph not pixel art. A photograph is going to have some compression/artifacting no matter what level of zoom it's at. With a BMP though when zoomed it looks like this:
[url]http://i.imgur.com/pHpWQ.png[/url]

and when enlarged it looks like this:

[url]http://i.imgur.com/bel3A.png[/url]

That's not using the nearest neighbor algorithm. Try again.

iwfqtkScctstk.png

Edit: I see your point and I remember encountering the problem before. IIRC, I used some kind of web service to get a simple upscaled image without any gradient colors.

LiQuid!

Aha, great that's what I was looking for, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom