• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summoning other players/NPCs in Souls makes bosses trivial and you should feel bad

Summoning players for bosses is probably my favorite part of the series now. I was fine with going solo in Demon's Souls (though I found summoning someone was still more enjoyable) but I just don't have the patience with the series like I used to.

Of course you are free to play and enjoy the games you want and I think it's better to cheese a boss than possibly never get past it but man, summons make fights trivial. Summoning someone to a boss fight doesn't merely make it managable but turns it into straight up the easiest thing you'll face all game because bosses will usually target just one player while the other guy freely gets their attacks in. Why even bother? The boss fights are arguably the best thing about the games and you choose to virtually skip them? Shame on you.

I sort of understand when players get frustrated upon facing multiple boss entities at once but I do think you people are robbing yourself of some of the most memorable single player gaming experience either way.

Solo all the way.

At least you threw in "arguably" before shaming people.

The bosses aren't even close to the best thing about the Souls series. The exploration, the immersive despondency of the world, that perfectly metered feeling of growth.

Boiling the series down to a boss rush makes the games trivial and you should feel bad.

mindatlarge

If a mechanic exists within a game with an intended purpose to either make the game more appealing to a wider audience or help assist them progress, why garner such a narrow minded opinion? The game still offers what you personally enjoy and also offers others a chance to enjoy the game more as well, where they may have given up on the game all together.

Your opinion conveys a message like all people that play games are of the same skill, age, and are able to spend the same amount of time as you do or others do that devote a lot of time to these more skill oriented and punishable games. That simply isn't the case. I'm glad some developers realize this and incorporate options like this into their games so a wider audience can enjoy their content.

Matty77

I bet your also one of those assholes who wants me to bow and not use estus following some arbitrary made up ruleset when you invade my game.

Cruxist

In Dark Souls 2, isn't the only way to "finish" Lucatiel's storyline to summon her for at least 3 bosses and survive? Co-op is crazy fun in Dark Souls, and helping someone finish a boss they've clearly been struggling with is a great feeling. So co-op away, folks.

What about the part where the boss's HP goes up significantly when cooping? Thanks for trying to tell everyone to git gud you're playing it wrong. Co-op is fun as hell so no, you're wrong.

Edit: as poster above mentions some quests involve summoning the NPCs and living through the battle. Though I never summoned her once and see gave the gear for some reason.

Op is wrong and should feel bad for trying to make people feel bad.

I prefer learning patterns and beating bosses solo, feels way more rewarding, but to each his own of course. For me, the challenge is one of the reasons I love these games. I do like to help others though.

I go solo, but I absolutely love going into other people's games and fighting bosses with them.

I think I have spent more time in the souls games fighting bosses with random people than I have playing the games by myself.

This is done while watching Netflix or some random show or movie. I've re-watched entire TV series while fighting bosses with people in the souls games.

Probably my favorite aspect of the entire series.

Xe4

Banned
I have never played any Souls game where I summoned somebody. I prefer taking on bosses solo even if it takes me 50 tries to kill them. Soloing O&S was so god damn fun and I was pumped when I killed them. Same for Knight Artorias, and Flamelurker, and Tower Knight.

However, others prefer taking them on with other people. I find that perfectly acceptable. I certainly don't think these people should "feel bad" or anything. People should play games how they want to play.

ElfArmy177

Hey maybe I'm a 32 year old adult who doesn't have hours to spend "getting gud", but rather need to spend it wisely and still enjoy the game fully. I dunno, something about kids and work, and banging my wife...

Does it? It's generally a very friendly and helpful community, at least in my experience.

We do see a lot of the "git gud" mentality.

Hey maybe I'm a 32 year old adult who doesn't have hours to spend "getting gud", but rather need to spend it wisely and still enjoy the game fully. I dunno, something about kids and work, and banging my wife...

hahaha. That's like the the most stereotypical thing a guy who has never banged anyone would say. Not that I'm calling you out, but it made me laugh.

"Sorry guys, but I don't have time to play video games like you losers. I'm too busy having sex"

Servbot24

Banned
Nothing worse then someone telling somebody "Get gud, you are playing it wrong"

What's wrong with that? Just ignore them, or try to understand the root of what they're trying to say.

I've played both ways and Souls is 10x more powerful of an experience played solo. So it's understandable people would encourage you to try playing that way, because they want to share the incredible experience and have the game being appreciated at its peak. Sometimes people are just bad expressing themselves.

Bakercat

I personally hate boss battles in games and I play the souls games for exploration and fighting my way through levels to explore more. If that makes me a bad person and I just need to git gud then I don't care, because I am having fun. You shouldn't shame people to play differently than they want too.

Lothar

Banned
I'll play my games however I want to play them. I'll even use CheatEngine if I want.

He said this in his first sentence. "Of course you are free to play and enjoy the games you want."

Why reply to a thread if you're not going to read the starting post?

Donos

although it makes some bosses easier, it's no guarantee for "easy mode".

I got summoned over hundred times to Rom, Ludwig, Marty and others, together with another summon, and the host didn't last 15 seconds...

Nameless

There's always a trade off in Souls games. Summoning erases the challenge from boss fights, sure, but opening up your world for assistance also means something else might slip through in the form of Red Brothers and Sisters who slaughter other players for sport. Avid PvP'ers far more deadly than bosses by and large. Miyazaki always gets the last laugh.

They didn't create he mechanic for people not to use it. If people want to co-op bosses, that's cool. More people playing and enjoying the game is always good, no matter if it makes it trivial.

j0hnnix

It's really up to the player on how they want to play the game and utilize the features provided in that game.. I don't see any issue on someone summoning another player to co-op.. it's there for a reason.. I'm always glad to put my yellow down to help others or just run around like an idiot in the game. Let players play the way they want.. it's their fun.

ElfArmy177

We do see a lot of the "git gud" mentality.

hahaha. That's like the the most stereotypical thing a guy who has never banged anyone would say. Not that I'm calling you out, but it made me laugh.

"Sorry guys, but I don't have time to play video games like you losers. I'm too busy having sex"

I know :) I thought about that after a typed it

Shari

The title thread finishes with "and you should feel bad"

And the thread body starts with "Of course you are free to play and enjoy the games you want and I think..."

If I'd be a mod you'll be banned on a clickbait/flaming premise alone.

Then your opinion is garbage but that's tolerated :/

Hope you get to have friends some day OP, but this thread ain't going to make you any.

Or....I can play the game how I want and you can as well and you can keep your elitist bullshit to yourself. Because it's a game, that you play. A game for fun.

Grinchy

Banned
I think they should keep things the way they are now, but, you can only acquire the boss soul if you beat it alone. So you can progress through the game by summoning, but you can't make the weapons/spells from the boss souls unless you nut up and solo the fight.

mebizzle

The OP is super neckbeard levels of elitism, I don't understand why so many Souls players are like this, it's singleplayer/cooperative, who gives a shit?

JBwB

I hate this purist player mentality for the Souls games.

People can play the damn games however way they want. I mean the summoning feature is there to be used for those who need it after all.

I think they should keep things the way they are now, but, you can only acquire the boss soul if you beat it alone. So you can progress through the game by summoning, but you can't make the weapons/spells from the boss souls unless you nut up and solo the fight.

That'd be a great way for them to cut sales in half. They should do it.
Oh my lawd

Fandangox

I never summon on my first play-through, but its not like it makes any difference if other people summon themselves, in fact I love being summoned, I spent a great amount of time in Bloodborne just trying to help people on certain boss fights.

The summon mechanic also probably lets the developers to make the bosses as hard as they can since they don't really have to worry about players getting "stuck" on a certain point of the game.

Mafro

Summoning increases the health of the bosses, so there's that.

OP is a perfect example of the elitist, try-hard dicks in the Souls' fanbase. Get tae fuck.

Shari

I think if something maddens me more than the OP is probably the 4-5 comments per page saying "fans souls are XXXX".

Seriously people stop. Coop in Souls works very good and the community is definitely there, the git gud meme is just that at this point, a meme, and the online for the saga has improved in every iteration of the franchise, is definitely very important and integral to the formula.

At this point and going by the numbers there's a shitton more people pro coop than against it. This is not a niche game/saga anymore.

Stop speaking about "the community" whenever we get a thread like this, happens twice a year and seems to be tagging the whole community and adding to a non-existent (kindled) fire.

I only ever tried summoning once after beating my head on the wall. And it was a hollow victory for sure. Never again.

I had a similar experience. I summoned help for the first time on Ornstein & Smough after only a few solo attempts. I immediately regretted it. Never again indeed.

Coop runs with Dried Fingers are amazingly fun. Nonstop 2v2 to 2v3 PVP while you try to reach the next bonfire.

My friends and I did this in Dark Souls III after we'd cleared the game a few times. Not going to lie, it was one of the funnest playthroughs I've done in a Souls game.

Lorcain

This has to be a parody thread. In the small chance that it's real, I find the attitude expressed by the OP hilarious, especially if he's using Soulsbourne games as some kind of measurement of skill.

If you've been playing games for more than 5-10 years, you know that the DS series and Bloodborne are not nearly as hard as some people make them out to be. Determined persistence is how you beat these games, and it can be ugly persistence too.

Here are the recent games that I found harder than DS/Bloodborne (brace yourself...some are Nintendo titles):
- Rayman Legends. The last levels + 8bit levels require skill and perfect timing.

- Mario Kart 8 200cc and GAF lobby MP. Seriously. GAF lobby is a humility chamber.

- Super Mario World (WiiU) bonus worlds. They're ridiculously hard. At the time I would go back to DS for fun.

- Bravely Default final 2 story boss fights. Brutal.

- Stella Glow final boss fight.

- Valkeryia Chronicles - the infamous hard level.

- Kirby Triple Deluxe final boss fight (until I figured out all the gimmicks).

Those are just off the top of my head. Do have fun with the Soulsborne games, they're brilliant. Don't use them as ePeen skill measurements...it's embarrassing.

Ferr986

Guarantee if Dark Souls turned into a fighting game the very large greater majority would do whatever it takes to win. They would throw pride right out the window.

z2ORn.gif

I solo'd Demon's Souls (NG and NG+) and solo'd my first playthrough of Dark Souls.
With DS2 I couldn't be bothered anymore so I summoned a lot. It obviously makes things easier but it also feels great to overcome an obstacle with teamwork.

With Bloodborne I did the whole thing solo again (still haven't played the dlc though) because it felt fresh enough for me to want to put in the effort of mastering it by myself again.

Still haven't played DS3, I'm a bit burned out on the franchise.

Top Bottom