• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run available on Android right now

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
If I unlock the full game, will be available to others using family sharing, or will it not work because it's an in-app purchase? If I can't share it, it's pretty bad on top of the always-online requirement (I mostly play mobile games in the subway where there's no connection).

I have no space in my phone anymore :'( I managed to free 600mo 2 month ago and without any new install the upgrades filled it already since then.. Fuck android.

Does your phone not support using as as extra internal storage? They added the feature to android a while back, so unless it's only for certain makes of android or something... This is easily solved, no?

Hasney

Got all the coins on the first level, but if wasn't fun at all.

Did make me want more 2D mario though, but the only one I haven't best is NSMB2 and I hear it's not the best. Grrr. Maybe I'll just go play SMW yet again.

dLMN8R

Enjoy everyone! It's a ton of fun, and well worth the $10 I paid.

Sure you can "get through" all the levels in an hour or two, but Mario Run's single-player stuff is entirely about getting all the different coin variations on each level.

Every new set of coins presents completely new challenges and significantly tweaked level and enemy layouts. They're effectively new levels and new enemy setups. So the 24 main levels have 3 variations each, which can almost be considered 72 levels total since they all require very different techniques and strategies to complete.

And that's on top of Toad Rally, of course, which requires its own distinct set of strategies to maximize the number of coins you collect in order to compete on the leaderboards.

While it has a simplified control scheme, it's absolutely still a true Mario game through and through.

orioto

Good Art™
Does your phone not support using as as extra internal storage? They added the feature to android a while back, so unless it's only for certain makes of android or something... This is easily solved, no?

My old phone let me do that but the new one i don't know i don't see that option anywhere

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Really enjoyed the trial for this, shall probably pick it up soon. Kind of thing I was playing whilst watching tv tonight, fun distraction.

L~A

I have no space in my phone anymore :'( I managed to free 600mo 2 month ago and without any new install the upgrades filled it already since then.. Fuck android.

Yup, Android space management is a massive pain in the butt. Especially if you're on pre Android 6.0 and have a ridiculously small internal memory partition : |

If I unlock the full game, will be available to others using family sharing, or will it not work because it's an in-app purchase? If I can't share it, it's pretty bad on top of the always-online requirement (I mostly play mobile games in the subway where there's no connection).

There was no family sharing on iOS, except by using a work-around. I assume it'll be the same on Android.

Still showing the Pre-registered option on Google Play Store... I suppose it's geo-locked... :(...

Try refreshing the Play Store page, it should definitely be there.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It's not available in Argentina (neither is Fire Emblem). Guess Nintendo isn't too fond of South America...

Cbajd5

Ha, no no no, no need to do it. Should've specified "without root hiding", not just without magisk. Thanks for the clarification.

I'll try to find a way to get magisk in there then.
Alright then, I'm kinda glad since I already had to install/uninstall Magisk like 5 times since the 11.6 update came out because of that root hiding issue.

Installing magisk is pretty easy if you just follow the instructions in the xda thread.

undi

Neo Member
I guess they do scaled launches, one region after another. I got it unlocked a handful of hours ago, in Spain, so it's not related to language but to region.

I'm not feeling it as smooth as I would have wanted in a Moto G 3rd. Even with the low quality it's not as smooth as a game as simple as this, or even developed by Nintendo, should be.

Ossom

My interest in this has died. Had it been on android from day one they would have had my money. The game looks okay, but you made us wait and then upped the price I don't want to support that behaviour and nothing about this game screams must have - this is coming from a massive Nintendo fanboy.

I would say that I will grab this in a sale, but Nintendo don't really do sales so won't expect this cheaper any time soon.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
My wife loves it. After the first five levels you get you can pretty much know what to expect. I think it's fun and the courses are well designed. Wether its worth $10 is up to you...

I would say this skews more towards a casual Mario player. The Mario Challenge in Super Mario Maker is WAY better and worth the $40 for its content alone.

Ok I admit I am not much of a mobile gamer at all, but... since when is $10 too much for a game, let alone a Nintendo game? I have played $15 games that have much less content, on PC and console.

13ruce

Banned
Cool game honestly was skeptic but i am sold after those free courses will buy it when i have my new phone in april.

Bulbasaur

Banned
Wow. As one of many who's been playing Mario since the 80's, I find the constant forward mechanic rather jarring. Totally over the NSMB aesthetic too.

BigEmil

I recommend downloading an emulator on your phone and play Super Mario games which are much better than this game

orioto

Good Art™
I could install it but it's not running really well lol. I think i need a new phone.

Other than that i find the control strange, like the time you need to hold to jump higher, it doesn't seem natural for a mario for me. But maybe the bad latency of my phone isn't helping.

I recommend downloading an emulator on your phone and play Super Mario games which are much better than this game

I 100% get your point, but emulators on touch screens are very bad. If this had more stages I'd be buying it right now. Replaying for coins doesn't interest me. Maybe when i have more free cash.

BigEmil

I 100% get your point, but emulators on touch screens are very bad. If this had more stages I'd be buying it right now. Replaying for coins doesn't interest me. Maybe when i have more free cash.
For Mario games the touch input in emulators are pretty good it's playable for Mario's simple input gameplay. You can play with any controllers on it too if you want on the emulator
That's pretty much piracy unless you own the games you play on the emulator atleast.
Nowhere did I say download the game just said download the emulator and put your game in it and enjoy

ggx2ac

So, I guess I can link the account to restore the date from my apple device, but not restore the purchases. Kind of lame, don't want to buy it again.

Think of it as like owning an Xbox and a PlayStation. They are different platforms so they aren't going to let you redownload third party games for free from their competitor.

Shiggy

Ok I admit I am not much of a mobile gamer at all, but... since when is $10 too much for a game, let alone a Nintendo game? I have played $15 games that have much less content, on PC and console.

For 20 Euros you get the latest NSMB title plus NSML. Here you just get 20 rather basic levels. Doesn't seem like a good deal.

For 5 EUR I can also get the latest Boxboy game with more than 180 levels. That's also a Nintendo platformer.

Think even the Rayman games had more to offer at a lower price.

dLMN8R

For 20 Euros you get the latest NSMB title plus NSML. Here you just get 20 rather basic levels. Doesn't seem like a good deal.

For 5 EUR I can also get the latest Boxboy game with more than 180 levels. That's also a Nintendo platformer.

Look, I get that some people think the game may lack content, but you don't need to exaggerate just to try to make your point more effective.

The game has 24 base levels, not 20, and as I described above, each of the variations with different coins also change level layouts - in some cases subtly, in other cases significantly. And in all cases - subtle or significant - it completely changes how you need to play each of those levels too.

It took me at least 10-15 hours to complete all of the levels and variations. It absolutely consumed my bus commute for weeks. Well worth the $10.

And then there's Toad Rally, which once again plays completely differently from everything else, and is tons of fun in its own right.

And then there's all of the building minigame stuff too, which I personally don't care about, but others do.

TLZ

Banned
Just got it. Thanks OP.

For $10 this the cheapest I spent on a mario game so I'm very happy. And should help a lot pass the time when I'm outside waiting in places.

Great simple fun.

I mean I'm playing Mario on a smart phone. Never imagined this would've happened. Can't complain really.

emag

I bought and enjoyed SMR on iOS, but it's unplayable on my mid-range Android device (it ran fine on my iPad Mini 2, by comparison). I can see why Nintendo held off on the Android release, even beyond moneyhatting. Got to have a flagship for acceptable performance.

But I paid $60 for NSMBU because it wasn't a 4 year old game when I bought it, like how this one isn't now.

Shiggy

Look, I get that some people think the game may lack content, but you don't need to blatantly lie and exaggerate just to try to make your point more effective.

The game has 24 base levels, not 20, and as I described above, each of the variations with different coins also change level layouts - in some cases subtly, in other cases significantly. And in all cases - subtle or significant - it completely changes how you need to play each of those levels too.

It took me at least 10-15 hours to complete all of the levels and variations. It absolutely consumed my bus commute for weeks. Well worth the $10.

And then there's Toad Rally, which once again plays completely differently from everything else, and is tons of fun in its own right.

And then there's all of the building minigame stuff too, which I personally don't care about, but others do.

There's a 7th world unlockable? The world screen shows for me just 20 levels to purchase, in addition to the 4 which are free.

If you're big into Highscores and replaying levels over and over again, it might be worth the 10€ for you. For me, buying 20 (or 24 if your statement is correct) levels for 10€ isn't good value.

Heh, Surprised this runs on my phone.

I haven't figured out how to beat Bowser without a mushroom, guess you have to know when to run under him but I must be missing something.

devonodev

Played a bunch of the IOS version on a friend's iPad, now I can finally get it on my phone. Great game, I reckon it's worth the price as long as you try get 100% of the special coins. That's the real challenge.

Top Bottom